Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

My Weekend Jaunt to California ~ All 23000 Miles Of It!

My Weekend Jaunt to California ~ All 23000 Miles Of It!

Old Feb 11, 2013, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Got through it all this evening --- wow Seat 2A, you have inspired me to do some train travel. I'm lucky to be in LA where so many routes seem to be accessible ... perhaps my next trip into the Pacific NW will go via Amtrak.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 1:09 pm

I have learnt to savour these by settling in for the evening with a comfy chair and ploughing through. Having reached the end, I must have a dozen browser tabs of locations and train journeys to check out in further detail! A pleasure as always, thank you Seat2A.

And to drop in a smidgen of maths (well, probability), your question of how likely it is to experience an entire fleet of aircraft is known as The coupon collector's problem. Wolfram alpha can compute the harmonic numbers required; here's the expected number of trips you'd need to travel on each of 49 different craft. Of course, expectation (and probability in general) is most useful in the aggregate, rather than for individuals, but you can get a feel for whether you're being unreasonably lucky or not (or rather, if route localisation biases the probability of seeing particular planes).
Old Feb 12, 2013, 2:36 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus
Originally Posted by fivevsone
Legendary.
Couldn't have said it better. Incredibly fantastic report, Seat 2A! ^^^
Old Feb 12, 2013, 4:07 pm

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
Superb. Thanks for taking what must have been a considerable time to write this epic!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:58 am

Programs: Scotia Points, Aeroplan, Nexus, Global Entry
Simply awesome! I've been reading this TR on and off for the last couple of days and once again Seat 2A, I was travelling with you! Thanks again...
Old Feb 13, 2013, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Thanks to all of you who have read this report in part or in its entirety. After all that, I'm especially thankful to all of you who felt up to leaving comments. To address just a couple of those...

Originally Posted by Loose Cannon
Seat 2A, you were not far from where I live when you were at LGB and there WOULD have been time for a brief visit as I was home that day.
With only a two hour layover it never would have occurred to me to visit with anyone but if you're right by the airport Loose Cannon, I'll keep that in mind next time I'm through LGB. With your itineraries, it seems more likely you and I might cross paths in a truck stop somewhere!

Originally Posted by JMN57
Also, as one who has too little time to train these days but looks forward to when I can enjoy that mode of travel, Amtrak should comp you - I am certain you sold at least 100 trips to FT'ers
I hope so! As you mentioned however, for many people it comes down to time and unfortunately, two days on the train vs. four hours by plane for a Chicago to West Coast trip is not a good comparison for many folks.

Originally Posted by allset2travel
There are literally hundreds of threads reporting on F, C, Y classes of services, and many blow-by-blow accounts of airport lounges and check-in lines. Your reports are refreshingly different! You photos are great too!
Thanks! I too am surprised at the amount of coverage (including photographs) that some reporters devote to things like check-in lines, gate lounges and the like but FT is a huge community these days and evidently a lot of people really enjoy reading about those things, so it's all good.

With regard to photographs, I'm a big believer in quality over quantity so I try to select only the best of the lot and use them to compliment rather than overwhelm my reports.

Originally Posted by amolkold
Seat 2A, you have inspired me to do some train travel. I'm lucky to be in LA where so many routes seem to be accessible ... perhaps my next trip into the Pacific NW will go via Amtrak.
May through October on the Coast Starlight can be very busy and - given supply and demand - more expensive, but if you're able to have some advance notice and/or can travel during off-peak times, you'll find some very affordable First Class fares. Keep in mind that you can also board the Coast Starlight from Burbank, Van Nuys and Simi Valley stations in addition to LA's Union Station.

Originally Posted by TheFlyingDoctor
I must have a dozen browser tabs of locations and train journeys to check out in further detail! A pleasure as always, thank you Seat 2A.

And to drop in a smidgen of maths (well, probability), your question of how likely it is to experience an entire fleet of aircraft is known as The coupon collector's problem. Wolfram alpha can compute the harmonic numbers required; here's the expected number of trips you'd need to travel on each of 49 different craft. Of course, expectation (and probability in general) is most useful in the aggregate, rather than for individuals, but you can get a feel for whether you're being unreasonably lucky or not (or rather, if route localisation biases the probability of seeing particular planes).
Doctor, you get the prize for the most eclectic and entertaining response to this trip report. There are so many factors involved that I don't know about such as route localization that I really wouldn't know where to begin - but you do! Great stuff!

By the way, on Amtrak's website if you click on "Routes" you can pull up information on each train including trip reports - in most cases not as detailed as mine (due to space considerations, I suspect) but still some good and relevant information on riding that particular train.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 13, 2013 at 9:33 pm
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:17 pm
gba

Programs: Alaska MVP, Marriott Lifetime Titanium (United Silver), Hilton Gold
Great report Seat 2A, as always. Really, a work of art.

One small clarification (to prove I was paying attention throughout!) the size of Amtrak's superliner cars changes during the report:

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Each Amtrak bi-level Superliner Sleeper car offers 14 Standard bedrooms, 5 Deluxe bedrooms, 1 Family bedroom and one Handicapped bedroom
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
...It’s not an easy job. Amtrak’s Bi-Level sleepers have 10 roomettes, 4 bedrooms, one handicapped room and one family room. Sleeper Car Attendants are responsible...
I believe the first mention has the right numbers and the second the correct terminology.

On an unrelated topic, one concern I have about the downstairs roomettes is that the family bedroom is so close and that could mean loud kids. Have you ever had this problem?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:04 am

Programs: TK M&S, BAEC, EK
What a treat! Planes and trains and some great pictures, not least of all the ones of the train stations in Kansas and St. Louis.

The kind of trip report that will need to be reread from time to time. Oh, and I thought your cabin looked very cozy....Thanks a lot for a great read!
Old Feb 14, 2013, 5:50 pm

Once again, another fantastic TR!!
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA
Great TR and great pictures. I've taken the California Zephyr DEN-SLC and really enjoyed it. As to the trip to LAX "getting out of hand", it is certainly understandable. Often we can't afford to stay home!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 1:58 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Well done and I'm back

"Two hours later I was headed into town aboard the TriMet train enroute to a 7:00pm get together at Widmer’s Brewery with fellow FTer opushomes. He is soon to be departing on his own set of travels, rather more extensive than mine at least in terms of distance traveled. Wish him well! "

I am certainly glad that you did not pick up my upper respiratory infections after our dinner. It was great spending a few hours seeing one another.

My illness certainly impacted the pleasure of spending $140 and 120000 Delta miles in business for PDX-NRT (27 hour connection)-SIN (breakfast with a group of Flyer Talkers at the Conrad and a day in the lounge)-DPS on the KLM flight-got the house with the Bols, $50 including a $15 service charge and the frustration of dealing with an Indonesian Travel Agent who forgot to book the ticket DPS-LOP on Wings. $36 for a Wings flight LOP-DPS booked at Denpasar airport sans Travel Agent. Wings does not offer business on their ATR-72s.

I then booked DPS-BKK-SIN-MNL in business on Thai and Singapore and a return MNL-ICN-SIN on Asiana and Singapore for 35000 United miles and $42. In between it cost $69 to fly MNL-DVO and return on Philippine (albeit in coach and after the $75 reduction for getting a second free Expedia Credit Card at the time of booking).

The Delta and Alaska Air return was not overly pleasurable being SIN-NRT, 10 hour connection via Keisei local train then HND-LAX-PDX. All in all, the price was right although I do not sleep in airports.

In all eight airlines (Asiana was the only one not previously flown). Four legs in coach, 10 in business and one in Domestic First. 26899 miles flown, Approximately 50 miles by train, and a bunch of taxi and van kilometers. As it turns out my trip was not much more extensive than yours although I did mine in 21 days.

See you the next time you transit PDX. Remember it is your turn to buy.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by gba
One small clarification (to prove I was paying attention throughout!) the size of Amtrak's superliner cars changes during the report: I believe the first mention has the right numbers and the second the correct terminology.

On an unrelated topic, one concern I have about the downstairs roomettes is that the family bedroom is so close and that could mean loud kids. Have you ever had this problem?
Thanks for your sharp eye, gba. I'm guilty of clipping and dragging one of the descriptions from an older report when the current roomettes were known as "Standard Bedrooms". Corrections have been made!

I've had many occasions when there've been families with children in the Family Bedroom and none of them stand out as memorable - a good thing! There's not a lot of room down there for kids to run and play and I've noted that many families bring along diversions for their kids - a dvd player or games.

Originally Posted by michlflyer
What a treat! Planes and trains and some great pictures, not least of all the ones of the train stations in Kansas and St. Louis.
Railroad stations have always been communal hubs where people gathered before they sent loved ones off to school, work or war and where they greeted them upon their return. Beyond their architectural beauty, stations like the ones in Kansas City, St. Louis, Washington DC (and soon, Denver) are destinations in their own right housing shops, museums, restaurants, banks, etc.

I would love to someday take a tour of American railway stations, both large and small. We have some classically beautiful examples here, but some attractive new ones as well. I'd also like to take a tour of baseball stadiums - not the big,shiny new ones but the older, smaller ones used in Spring Training and Triple A ball.

Here are a couple pictures of the beautiful little station in I visited last year in Niles, Michigan.

Niles, Michigan Train Depot

Niles, Michigan Train Depot Waiting Room
Old Feb 15, 2013, 1:49 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Seat 2A please don't forget Union Station in Los Angeles
Old Feb 15, 2013, 6:16 pm

Programs: HHonors (Gold), One Pass (Peon)
Seat 2A, what kind of "cheap camera" did you use for those fantastic photos? If I didn't know better, I would compare them to professional postcards.

I still remember our little mtg and chat at the Denali Lodge a few years ago. Keep up the good work and trip reports.

DD
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:35 pm

Location: AA-Plat 7 Mil, UA-Plat 2 Mil, BA - Silv., KLM/AF- Plat, Bonvoy-Plat.
Great report. Even though I can fly for free on UA, part of me wants to jump on an Amtrak.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.