Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Six days in India via Swiss, Emirates and British First Class including EK 380 Suites

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Six days in India via Swiss, Emirates and British First Class including EK 380 Suites

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2013, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
With 4 1/2 hours to departure, we headed to one of my homes away from home, the spacious and pleasant H/K Admirals Club.

At T-3.5 we headed for the taxi stand and the Norridge Walgreens to correct a major senior moment embarrassment. Not only had I forgotten my blood pressure meds, I left my entire toiletries bag at home. Quel idiot! Don't know I was thinking this morning but in all my travels, that was a first. I had all the India meds in one bag, and just forgot the regular bag. Left it on the counter in the bathroom. Didn't even realize it until Mrs. SFO left a VM. She was so sweet about it... even had the kit with her on her errands this morning and was going to go to FedEx to try to ship them to India. Fortunately, I was able to find my Walgreens prescription number online and called it in the store closest to O'Hare. Taxi driver was initially not pleased about the short trip... Walgreens in Norridge and then back to T-5 but was happy when we asked what his typical ORD ride was and we told him we'd pay him his $40.

We got a big laugh at the presumably standard Chicago taxi $50 Vomit Cleanup Fee. Our driver said he actually had it once, couple of months ago. He had to call the cops when the woman refused. She paid up when the cop gave her the "$50 or jail" option.

One of the advantages of a taxi is door-to-door service and you don't have to take the train between terminals. We arrived back at ORD and T-5 departures level at just under 3 hours before departure. Not much activity at the LX counter or anywhere in the terminal for that matter. We were the only pax at security.

Not sure what the thinking was with this terminal. Maybe there was a space limitation, maybe budget issues and/or too many cronies to pay off, but wow, this is one butt ugly and poorly designed monstrosity. Long narrow, dark corridors with very little space or open areas. What a stark comparison to the beautiful International Terminal at SFO.

Next up: Small but very pleasant FCL at ORD.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by noniron
My goodness SFO777, I've just finished the Spanish trip! FT should have you on a retainer!
Best wishes, I'll enjoy reading how you and the Cub get on..
Thanks noniron. We're in ZRH at the FCL. Jr loved LX First.

Originally Posted by halfcape
Wow, I am really happy to see another tr from you so soon. I know that I will enjoy the reporting and the photos.
Only one issue - not all readers are male and perhaps your female readers would enjoy photos of hot men. If this bothers you, just take photos of the hot women with hot men next to them and we will all be happy.
LOL. Thanks halfcape. OK, we'll try hot women with hot men next to them. May not be successful but we'll try. There were men in the Nuggets cheerleader pics. OK maybe not hot men.

Originally Posted by baggageinhall
Looking forward to this!
Thanks baggageinhall. We board your flight 146 in about an hour. Looking forward to our 1st visit.

Originally Posted by nizolidas
Can't wait for the rest.
Thanks nizolidas.

Originally Posted by JohnRain
In order to improve your transfer experience in ZRH, (I've learned from your last TR that you're a great fan of the local FCL ), you could go to Sprüngli and buy a box of Luxemburgerlis (a Swiss variation of the French macaroon). It's one of their signature sweets and worth the (short) detour IMHO.
You'll find Sprüngli either at the Transfer Area A or the E Gates.
http://www.zurich-airport.com/deskto...spx/tabid-203/
Looking forward to the upcoming TR!
Thanks very much JohnRain. Same old, same old transfer this morning but we arrived 55 minutes early so plenty of time. We'll pass on the macaroons today but we did enjoy Sprüngli last night.

Originally Posted by Digital01
Already looking forward to the rest ^
Thanks digital01.

Originally Posted by SFore
Wow, I haven't even finished the Spain TR, but this one intrigues me a but more, have a safe and fun trip! What a lucky son you have btw!
Thank you SFore. Yes, I agree and I try to remind him often.

Originally Posted by allset2travel
I transited at DEL couple of times without ever setting foot outside the airport for reasons that you mentioned: the meds & visa process.
I am curious to read about how the boys spend their week in India.
So am I. Thanks for reading the TR.

Originally Posted by bandz
nice! cannot wait for this trip reports
Thanks bandz.

Originally Posted by gpeso8
Have a great trip SFO777!
I did ORD-ZRH-DEL in LX F a few months ago and had a great trip. I'm also doing a Ex-CMB ek/ba trip in three weeks so i'm excited to read your report!
Thank you gpeso8.

Originally Posted by fieldeng
Oh goodie. Another SFO777 TR. I can't wait!!
Frontera is a good start.
How did you book this thing??
Thanks fieldeng. I booked the LX First flights using LifeMiles miles, during the couple of months last summer when M&M mistakenly left the back door open for (otherwise restricted) M&M awards.

Originally Posted by sellouts
Love your trip reports, happy to be in on the ground floor with this one.
And that guacamole at Frontera is great. "Fully loaded" is the only way to have it and it's always refreshing.
Thank you sellouts. We had the Cubana and the Pepito. They were both delicious.

Originally Posted by amolkold
Like I said in the last thread, I am so looking forward to this! If you think ZRH transit is bad, just wait until BOM/CSIA . I'm lucky I got a lifetime Visa to India ... no need to deal with the visa process anymore, although it's easier when you're brown.
Hope you avoid the Delhi Belly
Thanks very much amolkold. LOL on both the transit and the Delhi Belly. Hey, we're up for some adventure and at least I don't have to worry about the princess this time.

Originally Posted by thespeedskater
Bring it on!
On the way.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 3:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Originally Posted by SFO777
Full PDB and excellent service by pleasant and attentive FA. Refreshments today consisted of the questionably named "Gourmet Snack Mix" and, on request the cheese snack.
If we are going for false descriptions I should point out that the cheese spread stuff is not gourmet nor indeed cheddar and (given its point of origin) not really cheese.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 4:17 am

Programs: LX M&M
Here we go again, SFO777 you rock!!!!
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:15 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Having once vomited in a taxi in NYC in my wilder youth, I can tell you that while there might not be a mandatory vomit fee...the cabbies are pretty insistent about getting money to clean it up and it feels very mandatory.

As for your report...it is now bookmarked and my employer can look forward to losing productivity as it unfolds.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 2:27 pm

Nice to see yet another report!

I just did (last week) a similar return as yours, with CMB-DXB-LHR-ORD in F on the same airlines. Why didn't you have F from CMB-DXB?

If you have not yet done the return, make sure you eat lunch in the NEW Emirates F lounge at DXB. The food was really excellent. And I mean REALLY.

Also, have the afternoon tea on the DXB-LHR flight, just before touchdown into LHR. You can compare it to BA's tea on the flight the next day. We had a mixed fleet crew on the BA leg and the service was quite good.

I could not believe you went all that way only just to spend one week in India - is that true? One week?
Old Feb 3, 2013, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just opposite TSA and security is the Swiss Lounge. I'd read some negative reviews about this lounge so I wasn't expecting much. But I was pleasantly surprised. Sure the First Class/HON Lounge is small but what more do you need? Nicely decorated with the standard Swiss lounge decor. Three dining tables and seating for 12 with lots of power outlets, both 110 and 220. And a nice selection of food and drink.

We had the lounge to ourselves for 45 minutes when the other two F pax arrived. And at T-30 our lounge agent came in and announced that boarding had commenced.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Cannot wait to see your photos from India!

I had a work trip to India a couple of years ago, and it remains one of my most interesting trip to date.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Swiss 9
ORD-ZRH
A330-300
February 2, 2013
7:10P-10:55A +1 (scheduled)
7:05P-9:58A +1 (actual)
Departed 4/8
Seats 2DG

Boarding had indeed begun by the time we arrived at M7. But the priority line and relatively few pax in the jet bridge meant we were on board fairly quickly. But again, 2L was the only door LX was using for boarding. What is it with LX refusing to use 1L for separate F boarding?

But once in the cabin, all was forgiven, or at least filed away until. I wasn't sure about the cabin on our first A333 flight, but I am warming to it a bit. The seat comfort controls worked a little better than last time and I was able to contour the seat a little better. But it is still not that comfortable IMO.

The crab cake with remoulade amuse-bouche was very good.

Champagne was OK, but not the Grand Siecle. FA gave the same lame "problem with customs" company line as we received in LAX last month. Just pay the duty and serve the Grand Siecle.

The LX map feature is pretty cool, especially GPS over an actual satellite map at the airports.

Once in the air, our crew went into action.

And showtime...

Up Next: A decadent LX First meal with the beautiful Sophie Marceau.

Last edited by SFO777; Feb 4, 2013 at 10:30 am
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:08 am

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, IHG plat, DB Comfort, SPG gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
I wasn't sure about the cabin on our first A333 flight, but I am warming to it a bit. The seat comfort controls worked a little better than last time and I was able to contour the seat a little better. But it is still not that comfortable IMO.
I absolutely agree, the new LX F seats are not really comfortable; in "relax" position, the footrest/ottoman/companion seat is a few inches too near (at least if you're 6'3), and the TO/GA position feels a bit weird. I believe this is caused by a slight downward angle of the main seat surface when the seat is in fully upright position.

However, as you'll be flying (or have already flown) flown the EK 388 where many people rant about an uncomfortable seat, you might be able to give a comparison later on. Personally, I like the EK 388 suite seat much better than LX's seat, despite then lack of an ottoman.

Oh, and last but not least I teally have to give ^ ^ ^ for this and every other trip report by you that I've already read.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:20 am
formerly gohima

Is Jr the one who got the QF A380 F seat? If so, he sure knows how to get the good freebies
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Joely
If we are going for false descriptions I should point out that the cheese spread stuff is not gourmet nor indeed cheddar and (given its point of origin) not really cheese.
Agree. Kind of like when US airlines offer "champagne".

Originally Posted by lx343
Here we go again, SFO777 you rock!!!!
Thanks lx343.

Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
Having once vomited in a taxi in NYC in my wilder youth, I can tell you that while there might not be a mandatory vomit fee...the cabbies are pretty insistent about getting money to clean it up and it feels very mandatory.
As for your report...it is now bookmarked and my employer can look forward to losing productivity as it unfolds.
Thank you FlyIggiesFly. Yeah, the cabbie said he lost a whole day's work as it took him that long to clean up the mess.

Originally Posted by Flyingfox
Nice to see yet another report!
I just did (last week) a similar return as yours, with CMB-DXB-LHR-ORD in F on the same airlines. Why didn't you have F from CMB-DXB?
If you have not yet done the return, make sure you eat lunch in the NEW Emirates F lounge at DXB. The food was really excellent. And I mean REALLY.
Also, have the afternoon tea on the DXB-LHR flight, just before touchdown into LHR. You can compare it to BA's tea on the flight the next day. We had a mixed fleet crew on the BA leg and the service was quite good.
I could not believe you went all that way only just to spend one week in India - is that true? One week?
Thanks Flyingfox. EK pulled a last minute equipment swap so we lost our CMB-DXB First Suites experience.
We have 3+ hours in DXB so I will definitely check out the new Flounge.

Originally Posted by bruce80
I absolutely agree, the new LX F seats are not really comfortable; in "relax" position, the footrest/ottoman/companion seat is a few inches too near (at least if you're 6'3), and the TO/GA position feels a bit weird. I believe this is caused by a slight downward angle of the main seat surface when the seat is in fully upright position.
However, as you'll be flying (or have already flown) flown the EK 388 where many people rant about an uncomfortable seat, you might be able to give a comparison later on. Personally, I like the EK 388 suite seat much better than LX's seat, despite then lack of an ottoman.
Oh, and last but not least I teally have to give ^ ^ ^ for this and every other trip report by you that I've already read.
Thank you bruce80 for your kind comments. Glad it's not just me that thinks that seat leaves a lot to be desired. Not even close to CX for one. Am definitely looking forward to revisiting the EK A380. Our only other flights was the short BKK-HKG and was stuck in 1A.

Originally Posted by gohima
Is Jr the one who got the QF A380 F seat? If so, he sure knows how to get the good freebies
Yes and yes.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:48 am

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, IHG plat, DB Comfort, SPG gold
1A? I believe that (together with 1K) this is by far the worst seat you can have in an EK 388. Everyone coming from the stairs/bar/lav/shower is very likely to directly step into your suite after clearing the curtain. That's why I prefer row 2, both at the window and in the middle (and why I have booked it for our upcoming trip to HKG in April). It's far enough from the galley, and far enough from the curtain.

Well, first world problems. I'll be stuck in 2A on SWISS domestic in about an hour :/
Old Feb 4, 2013, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Yes! Another SFO777 TR that is going to make me want to have more miles to spend on exotic F class trips .

Great photos - as usual. Can't wait for the rest.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 5:12 pm

Is LX F a redemption? If so, from which program?

Thanks for the reports!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.