Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Air China in C is awesome! (PEK-CDG; pro photos, too!)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2013, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mach92
Great report and pics!

I will Def look at Air China to PEK vs AA.
Stick with AA...
Old Mar 8, 2013, 4:39 am

Just the seats would make me want to pick CA over AA...
Old Mar 8, 2013, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Just the seats would make me want to pick CA over AA...
Try flying SFO-PEK and let me know if you still believe that.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 7:01 am

Just the 777-300ER* seats alone would make me want to pick CA over AA...
Old Mar 8, 2013, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Try flying SFO-PEK and let me know if you still believe that.
Once SFO-PEK switches to the band new 77W this year then CA over AA no question. Granted right now with CA being the 747M AA or UA is a no brainer.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 4:38 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Very impressive photography as always, not that I expect anything less from you. Air China certainly looks a lot better than I'd have assumed.
Old May 10, 2013, 11:14 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
This is a GREAT TR, thank you! You'r TR has sealed the deal for me...I am booking CA for part of a fun 'long way to SYD' next year.
Old May 10, 2013, 7:35 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Another great Trip Report.

Ok - so it's no Asiana F, like your previous experience... but it looks great.

I didn't have a similar experience on Air China Regional (domestic), I found the domestic lounge so so in PEK and the product not all that exciting.

However your report shows a nice clean cabin with lots of features. May time to give them another go - especially since they release reward seats.
Old May 11, 2013, 11:11 am

Programs: HHon Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TG Gold, QR Plat, OZ Gold, AF Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Priority Pass

Sorry to rain on the parade but recently did BKK - PEK - BKKin J on the new 777-200 planes. Was certainly nice seats, layouts and good service,however, and this is a big one - both planes were filthy and there just doesn't seem to be much of a standards on cleaning (common in China) and that was a shame.

All the cabin walls had marks on them (easily cleanable marks), windows were smudged and worst of all, around my seat were strands of hair and dust/dirt particles from god knows when.

Ended up with rashes after flight.

Real shame on that...
Old Jun 13, 2013, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Just came off PEK-JFK on an almost brand new 77W. It was the first time I flew CA transpac. It was ^! The seat is almost identical to PMCO 777 seat; however, food was better and IFE seemed to have more international choices than UA's.

While I was enjoying my flight, the thought came through me about switching my regular UA PEK-EWR flights to CA PEK-JFK. Clearly, JFK is easier to get to/from Manhattan. I do lose out on Premier bonus and fare bonus miles and GS qualification for $ spent if I jump to CA on this route.

I have been skeptical about CA for years having experienced inconsistent and often low quality offerings and services.
Now the world seems to move on and I should have an open mind. Airlines do improve and regress often, and one should not pinpoint on past experience only.

I will be returning on CA JFK-PEK in a couple of days and will fly PEK-EWR on UA next week. It will be a good to compare the two objectively.

Originally Posted by EzzerBKK
Sorry to rain on the parade but recently did BKK - PEK - BKKin J on the new 777-200 planes. Was certainly nice seats, layouts and good service,however, and this is a big one - both planes were filthy and there just doesn't seem to be much of a standards on cleaning (common in China) and that was a shame.

All the cabin walls had marks on them (easily cleanable marks), windows were smudged and worst of all, around my seat were strands of hair and dust/dirt particles from god knows when.

Ended up with rashes after flight.

Real shame on that...
I am glad you pointed this out. I have less than satisfactory experience on CA 772.

Perhaps it will be my next photo trip report to focus on various international routes and air configurations that I have flown on CA in recent months.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jun 13, 2013 at 5:43 am
Old Jun 13, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Miles & Smiles *G, PC Amb
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Just came off PEK-JFK on an almost brand new 77W. It was the first time I flew CA transpac. It was ^! The seat is almost identical to PMCO 777 seat; however, food was better and IFE seemed to have more international choices than UA's.

Just out of curiosity, what were the loads like in your flight in J & Y?
Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slickalick
Just out of curiosity, what were the loads like in your flight in J & Y?
I did not go into the Y cabin, so I have no idea of the load in Y.

C is about 2/3 full.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

sorry Dupe

sorry Dupe
Old Aug 18, 2013, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
pJs

Originally Posted by tommyleo
Good point. I should have gotten a pic of one of those empty seats laid out as a full bed. I can assure you, however, that the seat goes completely flat with no incline.

And that leads me to your next question: "Why is there a need to give pjs in C class anyway?" Well, if I had slept in my clothes, they would have gotten wrinkled and had become a bit sweaty (the comforter provided was very thick). I was very glad to be able to change out of my pajamas after sleeping!

I did not smell any cigarettes during the flight -- and your concern is understandable because I have read occasional reports of cigarette smells on CA flights, almost certainly originating in the cabin.
Were there larger passengers wearing PJs? If a CA XL translates to an American S or M, I'm wondering what I'd be able to wear as an American XL. I'm flying LAX-PEK in F in a few weeks.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Were there larger passengers wearing PJs? If a CA XL translates to an American S or M, I'm wondering what I'd be able to wear as an American XL. I'm flying LAX-PEK in F in a few weeks.
There didn't seem to be any pax larger than me on my flight (not surprising, considering it was PEK-CDG). I didn't ask if they had larger sizes than XL, which fit me perfectly even though I'm 5' 11" and 165 pounds.

Since you're flying F, you should contact CA and see if they will accommodate PJ's for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.