Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

From Mountains to Beaches: Canada - Korea - Japan - Singapore - Indonesia - Maldives

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

From Mountains to Beaches: Canada - Korea - Japan - Singapore - Indonesia - Maldives

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2013, 1:00 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Originally Posted by mkjr
Nice photos.

Was trying to get up to CTS on my last trip to Japan but want to spend a little more time there when it is not cold and can do some hiking.

It is my understanding the amount of snow is very unusual at this time as my colleagues from Japan have noted to me….I have also heard the snow on Hokkaido is epic this year.... perhaps it was only this past week or so....

As to snow boarding, although never got into the same growing up with seasons passes at Blackcomb, I will say there was nothing to date more graceful in my life than looking down on Craig Kelly’s sweeping turns from a chairlift at mt. baker on a slope that was irregular, steep (probably technically closed) and full of drop offs and at a downhill ski racer clip (I recall in was in the early 90s, after a storm that struck the lower mainland dumping between 6-9 ft of snow on both whistler and local mountains, including, baker in about a 10 day period....[i will say that it used to be the case when i was big into skiing, snow boarders were ONLY allowed on creekside at whistler...that dates me a little...]
Yup the snow was fantastic in Niseko even in late December! I would have to try out other resorts in the Pacific Northwest, but with Whistler so close by, it's just difficult... I actually started with skiing before moving to snowboarding after joining a cousin on a trip to Whistler...

Originally Posted by mraquinas
Great Photos....make me hungryyyy.....
When I was compiling the reports, it does make me drool too!

Originally Posted by Stoutman11
nice pics! thanks for the report
Thank you Stoutman11!
Old Mar 8, 2013, 1:07 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

From Mountains to Beaches - Jozankei Daiichi Hotel Suizantei

As I was travelling in a large group with my friends, we chartered a bus to pick us up from Niseko to reach the town of Jozankei 定山溪. The purpose of visiting this place is to have a day in a traditional onsen resort that can be found all around Japan. Since Jozankei is more or less between Niseko and Sapporo, we made a night layover in an onsen to refresh our tired legs. The bus alighted us at the Daiichi Hotel Suizantei after a relatively long ride through some beautiful valley scenery. There was one rest stop along the way that had a food stall and supermarket in addition to those who required bathroom breaks.

Winter Landscape in Niseko

Upon reaching the hotel, we had to wait for our room to be ready since it was a huge bunch of us checking in. Thus we had to wait by the lobby for a while. With lunch time approaching, the receptionist suggested we have lunch first before collecting our keys later.

Front Entrance of the Jozankei Daiichi Hotel Suizantei

Lunch was at the in-house restaurant which serves bento boxes and rice bowls as per the norm for most restaurants in Japan. However no English menu was available though the receptionist who was able to speak English helped in the translation. It was way above and beyond her scope of duty and we truly appreciated her help. I got myself a Tempura Soba set, though in hindsight, the Bento set which 2 of my friends ordered was the best deal!

Bar Counter at Kuwanoki

Bento Lunch Set

Tempura Soba

After the lunch, we were assigned our rooms and provided an overview of the facilities. The order for our dinner, which was included in the rate we paid, was also taken. Basically it was a Japanese set meal and depending on the rate of the hotel, one would be assigned a different set. Though there are choices between fish or beef for each set. Dinner would be served at the same restaurant we had lunch at. In every floor, there is a small lounge with great views of the valley. Lounge chairs were placed to overlook this view. Newspapers, Japanese magazines, sweets and some green tea were provided in the lounge for guests who wish to relax in the lounge.

Relaxing Lounge on the 5th Floor

View of Jozankei 定山溪

In addition to the main onsen at the mezzanine floor, guests were able to book a private session at each individual floors. There is a small onsen suite on every floors which could be reserved for a nominal fee. The room we had booked was a tatami room which means there are no beds, though it was a very nice and spacious room. Beside the foyer lies the sink and the toilet. Being an onsen, there are no shower area in the rooms, and guests are expected to shower in the onsen or book the private onsen should they need the privacy. In the day, the main floor functions as a living room. though the chairs are in the Japanese style where guests are seated cross-legged. Along one side of the wall is a wardrobe containing the yukatas and pouches for your belongings. Like my stay at the Hyatt Regency Hakone, 2 sets of yukatas are prepared for every occupant in the room – one for sleeping and another for use in the onsen compounds. Being winter, a knitted sweater was also provided, along with socks.

Room at Daiichi Hotel Suizantei

On the other end of the wall is a sliding closet where the futon bedding was stored along with the pillows. Beside the closet is a small room that can be used as a dressing room and a place to store luggage. A small alcove with a western-style sofa and coffee table overlooks the view outside and this area is where the day tables and chairs are moved to during turn-down service when the main tatami floor is converted to a bedroom. Inside the room, there is also a bar fridge near the entrance to store any cold drinks. And as a welcome amenity, the hotels provided some ginseng biscuits and mochi which was very good.

Ginseng Biscuit and Mochi

Amenities for Onsen Use

The first main attraction here was the onsen and while the onsen in the Hyatt Regency Hakone was spacious enough, the onsen here is divided into several areas. Don’t expect an empty onsen here though. Split over 2 storeys, the onsens in both floors alternate between male and female use and they switch in the evening. This allows guests in the hotel to experience both floors when staying just for a night. I just visited the lower level onsen floor during the evening and it was a fantastic experience. On the left upon entering is a large shower area able of accommodating around 16 people. Beside the shower area is a squarish warm dipping pool. The main onsen is at the other end with wall decors of rocks that extend all the way to an outdoor onsen area. Beside the main onsen pool is a small cold dipping pool and an enclosed sauna room. Along the walkway to the outdoor onsen is an area set up with 3 stone ‘beds’ that one can lie one while soaking in the hot water of the onsen. But the most popular spot in the onsen is definitely the outdoor area which is fantastic to spend the evening in even during winter!

Lounge outside the Onsen

After spending the evening in the onsen, I felt really refreshed, and what made the onsen experience here better was the provision of massage chairs and a very comfortable lounge space that one can rest in just outside the onsen. The hotel also has a convenience store and gift store beside the lounge for those requiring some drinks and snacks to go along with their rest and relaxation. Another one hour at the massage chairs from the onsen was all it took to relax the sore muscles after nearly a week of snowboarding!

Menu for the Japanese Dinner

The second highlight of the stay was the dinner served in the hotel’s restaurant, Kuwanoki. Everyone had a set dinner and for our rate it included a set course meal with a Japanese style hotpot, while some of them had a more traditional Japanese course. The meal for me started with soba,
an amuse bouche, a tray of appetizers, sashimi combination platter, the main course of grilled beef served with rice, pickles and a glass of wine. The meal ended with a plate of desserts.

Japanese Appetizers

Hotpot (Shabu) Ingredients

Sashimi Platter

The meal was a fantastic way to wind down at the end of the day and to celebrate the near end of my snowboarding trip in Japan. The ingredients were fresh and the food was fabulous, and by the time the main course arrived, I was quite full, but the beef was one of the best I have ever had in any restaurant and with the sweet onions, garlic chips and sea salt provided as accompaniments, they tasted divine!

Beef Course with a glass of Wine

With the conclusion of the meal, we took a walk around the property and lounged for a while in the lobby as that is the only location within the hotel that has wifi access. By the time we returned to our room, turn down service has converted the living room into a bedroom and 3 futon beds have been laid on the tatami mats! Even though it was a futon bed on the tatami mat, the padding was soft and it was comfortable to sleep in.

Futon Beds in the Room after Turn-down Service

The next morning, I woke up refreshed and our stay included breakfast in the same restaurant again. Breakfast fare had one of the most diverse Japanese offerings compared to my other hotel stays which is to be expected. There was a variety of grilled fish which is commonly found amongst bento breakfast sets, along with congee and miso soup. To end, I had yogurt added with blackberry and honey which made for a really good combination. My stay in this traditional Japanese onsen resort was great and even though it is by no means a luxurious property, the onsen and food alone is worth a stay here.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 4:46 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

From Mountains to Beaches - Hotel Gracery and Sapporo

Apparently the Daiichi Hotel Suizantei has a free shuttle bus departing from the hotel at around 10am which was delayed to 10:30 due to the snow. This puts our arrival into Sapporo at about 12 noon. The bus dropped us off at the JR Sapporo station to make up for the delays and it was easy enough to find the Hotel Gracery since it is located just opposite and can be reached via the network of underground passageways linking the station with the nearby buildings.

JR Sapporo Station and Tower

The lobby of the hotel is located at the upper floors of the building and we had to access it via elevators from the basement that is linked directly to the hotel building. The lobby is pretty small but it has a small lounge beside it that provides complimentary coffee and tea for guests. There is also a small convenience store selling Royce chocolates and other Sapporo foodstuffs. The downside to the hotel was the concierge who wasn't too well-versed in English and nor were they able to recommend places of interest in Sapporo.

Bathroom in Executive Single Room

I booked an Executive Single Room as photos provided by the hotel showed the rooms to be somewhat small and cramped. Thus I decided to pay slightly more for the larger rooms. Perhaps I booked quite late as I wasn't certain of my itinerary at the time. The room was up to my expectations though with a clean and modern bathroom on the right upon entering. The shower was built over the bathtub like those mid-tier hotels in the United States. What was interesting was the open air clothes hanger and the lack of a closet which made the room appear more spacious. There was a queen bed and a lounge chair with a massage function at the corner.

Executive Single Room

With regards to the hotel, it wasn't the cheapest but was perhaps the smallest of the hotels I stayed in during my trip to Japan. The location of the hotel, though was one of the best since it was very convenient to get to the rest of Sapporo. However as we were there on New Year's eve much of the shops were closed earlier than usual and many places were not open. However I did get to experience the festive cheer as families crowd the Daimaru and Esta shopping arcade in the JR Sapporo buying last minute groceries and foodstuffs for the family reunion. The scene reminded me of the atmosphere one sees during Chinese New Year in South-East Asia. The first day in Sapporo was spent browsing for food in the vast JR Sapporo network of shops, cafes and department stores. There is even a ramen street referred to as Sapporo Ramen Republic, a section on the 10th floor of the Esta Department Store that houses some of the best ramen stores in Hokkaido. This is highly recommended for fans of ramen, the value-for-money meal in Japan one can buy!

Sapporo Ramen Republic

For the second day in Sapporo, we started the day with breakfast at Mos Burger and proceeded to explore what Sapporo has to offer to travellers. However, with temperatures below 0 degree celcius, we opted for indoor places of interest, and thus chose to visit Susukino すすきの, which is the entertainment district of Sapporo. Supposedly this area would be busy on a normal night but as it was New Year's eve, this place was more quiet than usual and maybe 50% of the stores are closed. Being an entertainment district, pachinko parlours can be found in nearly every corner of the block in this area, and two of my friends decided to spend some money experiencing the favourite leisure activity of many Japanese. The pachinko parlour we headed to was located in Tanuki Koji 札幌狸小路商店街, a pedestrian shopping arcade that can be accessed between the Susukino and Odori 大通 subway station.

Tanuki Koji Shopping Arcade

After the walkabout in the morning which consisted of a second breakfast in a coffee shop around Tanuki Koji, we headed to have Ippudo ramen for lunch. Ippudo ramen is one of the famous chain of ramen restaurants (2 other famous ones being Ichiran and Santouka), and they do have branches in Hong Kong and Singapore. However, having tasted the one in Sapporo, I have to say it is worth it to head to Japan for this ramen, as the taste was different, even though I couldn't fathom where it tasted differently.

Susukino in the Day

One of Ippudo's signature ramen dish is the one in the red bowl and on the table are a variety of sauces and condiments that one can add to the ramen. Like my experience in Yoshimuraya ramen in Yokohama, it is preferable to have a taste of the soup before adding anything else in, and add the toppings to your preferences thereafter. This not only makes each ramen unique, they allow diners to create flavours to their liking!

Ippudo Ramen

Besides pachinko parlours and food joints, Tanuki Koji also has a wide range of shops that sells Hokkaido specialty foodstuffs and Royce chocolates is one of the best things to buy from Sapporo. The province of Hokkaido is also famous for lavender so these shops also sell pillow cases filled with lavender that is said to relax the mind and provides for a good night sleep. Since the shops will be closing as early as 6pm on New Year's eve, we needed to rush back to JR Sapporo Station to do the grocery shopping for the evening dinner. Food bought from the supermarket are not usually the best in many countries, but the Japanese shop in supermarkets and wet markets are nearly nowhere to be seen. Add to the fact that the highest grade of Toro (tuna belly) and Wagyu (Japanese beef) can be found inside Japanese supermarket, we headed to Daimaru in JR Sapporo station. Our dinner tonight will comprise solely of food bought from the aisles in this supermarket and with no stove or pots and pans, sashimi is the way to go. Seafood in Sapporo is one of the best in Japan due to the variety and for fans of Uni (sea urchin) and Crabs, Sapporo is the main supplier of these 2 types of seafood even to Tokyo, so their prices are cheaper and fresher! The sashimi meal was truly a great way to end the last day of 2012!

Toro and Uni in Daimaru

Uni and Hokkaido Crab for Dinner
Old Mar 9, 2013, 4:51 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

From Mountains to Beaches - All Nippon Airways CTS-HND

Sapporo's Chitose Airport is actually a pretty good airport to spend the day before going through security. I reached the airport via the hotel limousine bus, though as my hotel was just opposite the JR Sapporo Station, it was the first stop for the bus and I reached New Chitose Airport around 90 minutes later. Passengers need to head to the terminal upstairs from where the bus drops them off, and they will pass by a large atrium and shopping mall for those last minute gift purchases. Though there are also lots of restaurants and places to explore. This includes the Royce Chocolate World and the Doraemon boutique and restaurant along the walkway that connects the domestic and international terminal. This area ended up to be where I spent most of my time in before heading to the boarding gate.

NH0066 Sapporo CTS - Tokyo HND
STD-STA: 14:30-16:10
Actual: 14:44-16:11
Boeing 777-300 JA757A
Seat 48K

I headed for ANA's check-in counter first upon arrival and there was a short queue for the baggage drop off but surprisingly there was no excess baggage charge for the snowboard bag as the agent did not seem to be as fussy as the one I got in Tokyo. I enquired if the plane will be a 787 as I expected it to be but was disappointed when the agent indicated a 767 as the plane servicing the route today.

However when I head to the gate after exploring the shops and attractions in New Chitose Airport, it was a 777 jet that I saw. So either the agent is misinformed or there was another plane swap.

Old Style Economy Class Seats

Even after browsing around the shops in Chitose, I still had ample time to sit around the gate area waiting for the boarding to be called. This was not a plane that would be flying on time, I guess at times the Japanese can be late.

Safety Information, Menu and Inflight Catalogue

Once we boarded though, I was greeted with the older style seats onboard the 777-300. The seat had more padding than the new 'Inspiration of Japan' seats on ANA's domestic economy routes. ANA uses a high-density 3-4-3 seating configuration with a seat pitch similar to that of North American domestic economy, while their international flights uses a 3-3-3 seating configuration with one of the widest seat pitch in its class. But given that I was seated in the back on a wide-body 777 for a one-hour flight, I had the whole row, and by row I meant the whole 10 seats to myself. That was how empty the plane was at the back.

ANA Old Domestic Economy Class in 3-4-3 configuration

Seat Pitch

With the skies clearing out on New Year's day this was turning out to be quite a good flight. The taxi to the runway was short, and in no time at all we took off only slightly late. There were some beautiful views throughout the flight and this is why sunset flights are always so amazing.

Flying South from Hokkaido

For my onboard snack, I did not prepare a bento box this time since I did not like them at all. Instead I ordered the Jagga Pokuru - a specialty Hokkaido premium potato snack. I had purchased several packs of this snack from Chitose airport but the ANA special packaging enticed me to get one pack for a snack. If anyone is ever in Hokkaido, I thoroughly recommend getting this snack since the flavour of the potato is just out of this world and I would say it is the best potato chip ever! And I did order the Honey Yuzu beverage once again, as it was just that good as well!

Jagga Pokkuru on the ANA Hokkaido Flights

Snacking with my iPad mini serving as my inflight entertainment, the time passed by very fast and the flight was soon coming to an end. In this flight I did receive another 2 more commemorative magnets from ANA as I purchased 2 items from their inflight menu.

Watching Video on iPad

As the plane started its descent into Haneda, I was treated to a beautiful sunset view of Tokyo Bay. Definitely a reason to get a window seat on this flight! Upon landing it was nice to see the rows of ANA's jets in Haneda against the orange and blue skies in the background. What was weird was that there was no 787s around in Haneda on that day. Maybe the pilots flying them are on leave since its the holidays or the problems around the 787 have already started at that time...

Sunset Flight with ANA

ANA Jets in Haneda

All Nippon Airways Boeing 777-300

Last edited by quirrow; Mar 10, 2013 at 2:50 pm
Old Mar 9, 2013, 6:05 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

From Mountains to Beaches - Grand Hyatt Tokyo

Instead of taking a taxi from Haneda, I boarded the Tokyo Monorail to Hamamatsucho and took a taxi from there to reach the Grand Hyatt, which is located in Roppongi Hills. It was beautiful arriving to the hotel via taxi in the night as we passed by the trees lit up with LEDs. Prior to heading here, I had no success in upgrading the rooms to a suite using the Diamon suite upgrade vouchers. However, upon check-in, I tried my luck again in asking if a suite is available. Indeed it was and I got an upgrade to a suite for my 2 nights in Tokyo.

Front Facade of the Grand Hyatt

Being a Grand Hyatt, the hotel had a large lobby and felt very spacious. The feeling of space continued as I entered my suite. It was probably the largest suite ever I have been upgraded to and this was in Japan where hotel rooms are famous to be small. It was a pleasant surprise and Hyatt definitely got my positive affection for this experience. Beside the room entrance is a study area where I found a Nespresso machine waiting for me. On top of that there was a bar fridge underneath and 3 trays of snacks featuring Japanese rice crackers, chocolates and peanuts. All of the snacks are prepared in bite-sized packaging and this was similar to the Park Hyatt Seoul.

Lobby Area

Bathroom of the Suite

The living room occupied much of the space, though it did not utilize much of the space at the corner end. This was one of the fault I found in the design of the room. The huge sofa in the living room could certainly sleep 2 people comfortably as I nearly slept here while watching a Blu-ray movie I was able to rent from the Grand Club. The room was fitted with a large Sony television and Bang & Olufsen audio system which was great for playing music in the room. Hotel rooms with high-end audio system can create a wonderful atmosphere that provides lasting memories. Another one that I can recall is the St Regis in Singapore.

Living Room at the Suite

Sony TV and B&O Audio System

Basically the design and furnishing of the room would have qualified the hotel to be a Park Hyatt. A sliding door beside the entrance of the room leads to a large bathroom with a sink that was also fitted with a flat-screen TV. An enclosed shower area comprising of a bathtub is beside the sink while the toilet is at the end of the bathroom corridor. Another sliding door along the corridor leads to the bedroom, which has a very large wardrobe and there was another flat screen television in the bedroom, albeit smaller than the one in the living room. There was a lounge chair with an ottoman by the window in the bedroom. Views out of the window provide a great view of Tokyo and the corner location of the suite allowed for a near 270-degree panoramic view.

View from the Grand Hyatt Tokyo

Bedroom in the Suite

For the 2 days I was here, breakfast, evening snacks and drinks were served at the Grand Club. The Club lounge was a large space with lots of sitting areas and as I mentioned earlier, also provides a list of Blu-ray discs for complimentary rental. The breakfast served in the hotel was the standard breakfast fare with very good quality. It was good but not comparable to the breakfast served at Hyatt Regency Hakone. However the evening snacks at the lounge was pretty good, with a nice variety of hot food like squid and fish and delicious desserts. There was also a variety of wines and champagne for guests to enjoy in the evening. However the lounge can get quite crowded during the time breakfast and evening snacks are served.

Grand Club Lounge Seating Area

Being a Diamond member I am usually provided with a welcome amenity and usually I would find it upon entering the room. However due to the change in my room during check-in as I used my suite upgrade, there was no amenity in the room. When I enquired about the amenity, I was provided with a plate of strawberries and a bottle of white wine, which I preferred over red wines.

Dining Area in the Grand Club Lounge

As it was the first few days of the New Year holidays, many shops were not open. The concierge at the Grand Hyatt Tokyo was able to help me out with my queries very professionally and answered most of my queries. In the end I visited the Imperial Palace to catch the Emperor's greetings on the second day of the New Year since it is one of those days when the Palace is open to the public. The stores in Shibuya were also open for business and the Odaiba area was crowded in the evening with people enjoying the pleasant weather and the sunset.

Roppongi Hills at Night

The location of the hotel at Roppongi Hills makes it convenient for guests who are looking to shop in Tokyo as there are numerous luxury brand boutiques in the area. There is also an observatory at the top of the Mori Tower and an Art Museum, while the shopping mall has a lot of restaurant and food options. The Roppongi subway station is accessible from the Hills development so it was also easy to get to the major points of interest.

In-room Continental Breakfast

On the day I was to depart from Tokyo, I had to have an early breakfast before the club was due to open and the receptionist at the lounge allowed me to order from the room service instead of heading to the club lounge. I ordered a continental breakfast consisting of pastries and ham that was also served with fruits. Again, another thumbs up for the service at the Grand Hyatt Tokyo.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 8:28 pm

Programs: A few
great pics and trip report.... very curious to which camera/s you use?
Old Mar 10, 2013, 2:29 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
great pics and trip report.... very curious to which camera/s you use?
Thank you ma91mph! I am using a canon 5d mk2 with a 16-35mm lens or a 50mm lens. Some of the photos are taken with a iPhone 5 using the native Camera app.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 2:36 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

From Mountains to Beaches - Air China J from Haneda to Beijing

CA184 Tokyo HND - Beijing PEK
Thursday 3 Jan 2013
STD-STA: 08:30-11:30
Actual: 08:35-11:42
Airbus A321-200 B-6792
Seat 2L, moved to 2A

Early flight out of Haneda meant I had to catch a cab to the airport and it wasn’t cheap, but thankfully it was fast as the taxi driver sped across the expressway with nearly no traffic at this hour after a long holiday. There were toll fees included in the charge as well which racked up the fares. No queues at the Air China counter on row C/D in Haneda and I was directed to the economy class check in counter which was empty. Somehow the agent requested my frequent flyer card, and they did measure the dimensions of my snowboard, but there were no charges to check in 3 luggages. I had to enquire for lounge access before the agent provided instructions on using the ANA lounge near gate 110.

Air China Check in at Haneda

Security screening was pretty empty as well in the morning and was through immigration in a matter of minutes. I wasn’t able to bring in the small bottle of water though so that was a waste as it was unopened. There were a couple of duty free boutiques once airside and the major fashion brands are there, though the souvenir shops had ran out of the Hokkaido potato sticks snack that I wanted to get.

Entrance to the ANA Lounge in Haneda

ANA Lounge at Haneda

Accessing the ANA lounge was easy enough, since I needed to just show the boarding pass. No vouchers necessary, which should be the case if you are holding a C boarding pass anyway. The ANA lounge was tastefully furnished and large enough but it lacked a luggage storage area, though one agent was kind enough to look after my luggage for the short half hour as I went to grab some noodles. Wifi was good and easy to access. There were also adequate snacks for those seeking some lounging instead of food. I got kitsune udon which was good as expected and had some chocolate-coated dried fruits as well.

Dining Area of ANA Lounge at Haneda

I headed out to the gate once I was done since I don’t think boarding announcement was carried out, and my flight leaves from the gate furthest away in the corner at 105. Boarding was nearly complete when I arrived at the gate since the flight was not full and the timing is another factor I guess. Once onboard, I was shown to my seat and the flight attendant provided slippers, though no help on the luggage. Hot towels were soon provided and I noticed the 12-seat cabin only had one other guest on seat 3C. There were a couple more passengers before the boarding was completed. And I was offered drinks in the meantime. Being the winter season, it seems the flight attendant was pro-active in asking if passengers wanted warm water. I took her up on the offer, and it was a nice refreshing change from the usual ice cold water.

Air China Business Class

Before pullback, the flight attendant also took my breakfast order after showing me the menu. I went for the Chinese option since the western option looked more like what I had earlier on in the hotel. I also went with Pu-Erh tea, a classic Chinese tea for my beverage. I was also enquired as to when I would like the meal to be served. However this seems more like an afterthought as we shall see later in the flight.

City of Tokyo from the Air

There was nearly no queue for take off and we were soon up in the skies. While the seat belt sign would remain lit throughout the flight, i followed the flight attendant’s cue in unbuckling the seat belt to move to the opposite seat in 2A as it afforded a nice view of Tokyo as the plane circled around the bay to gain altitude. The relatively clear morning also meant I had great views of Mt Fuji along the way.

View of Mount Fuji

Shortly after crossing Mt. Fuji, the attendant came out and enquired if I would like breakfast served now. This was where I took it as a signal that they wanted to serve the meal earlier instead of as and when passengers would want it. Well anyway I decided to just have breakfast earlier and she came out with almonds and my cup of tea first. The meal consisted of plain porridge with condiments and pickles, assorted dim sums including a pork bun and a seafood and vegetable dumpling. There was also a fruit platter on the tray. It was a nice breakfast though the presentation lacks some finesse and the portion was a bit dismal. But for such a short flight, I thought it was as good if not better than what United offers.

Tea and Nuts Service

Breakfast Service of Congee and Dim Sum

After the meal, I had the chance to sit back and relax while taking in views of Seoul from the air as we flew past by the capital city of South Korea on the way to Beijing. This was how I managed to ‘see’ all 3 capital cities of Asia’s most prominent economies in a single day. The gorgeous cloudless weather made it easy to pass the rest of time gawking out of the window until our descent into Beijing. As the busiest airport in China, there was a queue of some jumbo jets on the runway as we landed, including an Air China 747 and a Lufthansa A380.

Flying over Seoul

Air China Bulkhead Seats

A321 Business Class Cabin

While it was a pretty good flight due to weather, we were parked at the tarmac and had to take the bus to the transfer area of the terminal. The whole flight experience is no different from my United First flight from YVR to ORD. Fortunately, there was a VIP bus for premium passengers and one of the passengers from economy managed to sneak into this bus for the early ride into the terminal as well. The worst part of landing in Beijing has got to be the slow international transfer with one long snaking queue. that took more than half an hour to clear. Furthermore there were actually 2 checkpoints for me to pass through back into the departure hall and this has got to be a failure in airport management which is a shame since Beijing has got one of the most beautiful airport terminals in the world.

Beijing Capital Airport

Lufthansa A380 at Beijing

Arrival in Beijing

Last edited by quirrow; Mar 10, 2013 at 2:51 pm
Old Mar 10, 2013, 2:43 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

From Mountains to Beaches - Air China Flat-Bed J to Singapo

After the long wait in the transfer area, it felt nice to be back in the wide and spacious terminal. The signs were easy to follow and I had to pass by various duty free shops before reaching the escalator that leads to the Air China Business Class Lounge on the second floor. The lounge agent checked my boarding pass and then before I made my way inside, I requested for a locker to place my luggage, as well as for wife access which would require me to use my passport and a machine will print out a unique user id and password.

Beijing Capital Airport Terminal 3

The lounge itself is large and with the high ceiling of the Beijing Capital Airport Terminal 3, it was airy. The location of the lounge reminds me of Cathay Pacific’s The Wing lounge. Sadly though, the lounge amenities weren’t as polished. There was 2 separate food area, with one end serving hot food, including a selection of noodles, sushis and soups. There was a small dining area at the end as well. The noodles were pre-made and laid out on a tray for guests to enjoy unlike the noodle bar in The Wing which is made to order. The place was a bit messy and cramped but the quality of the food was acceptable. Another food section contained snacks and sandwiches with a wide selection of beverages. By the reception desk, there was also a wide selection of newspapers including Wall Street Journal and International Herald Tribune, a rarity in Chinese airports and lounges. However I noticed that the work of the censors applies to newspapers as well since all the IHT copies were missing a page 4, related to the headline story on China in the front page. The upside was that the internet was at least working well and I still manage to go around the censors in China by using a VPN to access facebook.

Air China Business Class Lounge

After my lunch of beef noodles and lounging with some fruits while catching up on the news, I asked for a shower room. Turns out there was only 2 shower rooms in the lounge, and they were occupied, so I waited for around 15 minutes. This time round, the problem was one of the shower rooms had a faulty and non-operating tap, so I waited another 10 minutes for the one and only shower room. It took a while for the cleaning lady to prepare the shower room for my use, but the floor was slightly damp and they did not even replenish the shower cubicle with fresh shampoo and shower gel. I had to get the cleaning lady for new sets of toiletries, and the lesson here is to check if all amenities are in order before starting your shower!

Beef Noodles in the Lounge

At least the water pressure and temperature was good enough for a refreshing shower, and with that I was ready to leave the lounge since I thought it might be a walk to the gate, but the lounge agent let me know they will make the necessary announcements, thus I returned to find a good seat whilst munching on a pre-packed fruit bowl. After 20 minutes and still no announcements, I decided to just walk around the terminal and explore since the lounge was just so plain in comparison to the rest of the terminal…

Ethiopian 787 arriving at Beijing

The walk to my gate did not take too long and I still had time to get closer by the windows to admire Ethiopian’s new 787 docking into the terminal. Curiously enough with all the spats between Japan and China, there was a lot of ANA and Japan Airlines flight in Beijing. In fact JAL and ANA also flies their 787s to Beijing, hence PEK might just be the place to go to if you want to spot these planes, though spotters should obviously wait until they are no longer grounded. During my time in the airport, I also got to enjoy China Southern’s A380 taking off from the airport.

Air China Airbus A330-300

Upon reaching the gate, there was a long queue waiting to board on the Economy line while the Business priority line was empty, but as they called for boarding, the Priority line was not opened due to lack of staff. There was 3 staff around, but only one seemed to be able to scan the boarding pass. Okay so I wasn’t the first into the plane since it was a few moments later until the agent noticed that there was a reason for Business class passengers to be given priority boarding…

CA969 Beijing PEK - Singapore SIN
STD-STA: 15:45-21:45
Actual: 17:42-23:53
Airbus A330-300 B-6503
Seat 12L moved to 11C

Once at the door, as I showed my boarding pass, I was led to the cabin and shown to my seat. One stewardess helped me to place my hand-carry items onto the overhead bins, while another proceeded to show me a selection of magazines and newspapers. At this point the cabin was relatively empty, but soon my seat mate arrived and the cabin gradually filled up, but it was perhaps less than half full. As I prepare to be seated, the stewardess unwrapped the slippers and placed it at the floor, positioned for me to slip into them. Another stewardess came back with hot towels and offered welcome drinks. It seems that some of the passengers were pleased as I was with this cabin. It was amazing, and I dare say it is better than SQ’s regional business class cabins on their A330s.

Welcome Aboard

Seats in Air China’s Business Class

Apparently the crew were very excited and enthusiastic about working for Air China since they beamed with pride indicating that all PEK-SIN service is managed using the same business class configuration in a 2-2-2 layout with full lie-flat seats. There was ample space in front, and because of the design and colours of the cabin, it felt more spacious than business class on Qantas’ A380. Such enthusiastic crew would certainly indicate a good flight ahead since I had a similar crew on my ORD-ICN flight on Asiana.

Entertainment Screens in the Seats

As we waited for pullback, the crew went around and passed menus for today’s flight. Apparently the crew was kind of expecting passengers to be fast readers and came back fast to take orders. The menu was amazing for an intra-Asia flight and presented in Chinese and English, with a wide variety of selections. After choosing my meal selections, I was asked for my beverage choice after take-off and I selected Longjing (Dragon’s Well) tea, a green tea variety which China is famous for. Just as the doors closed, I was expecting my seat mate to move since there were plenty of seats around, but he didn’t, so there goes my chance of occupying both seats.

Air China 747 landing in Beijing

There was, however a long wait for take-off which I think is the usual case for Beijing, resulting in flights into and out of Beijing frequently getting delayed. There seems to be like forever as I watched planes after planes taking off and landing at the runway. The sunset and comfortable cabin of the Business Class made the queue more pleasant but it was dark by the time we really took off. Just after the captain allowed the seat belts to be taken off, I took this chance to head towards the back where the last row of Business Class was empty to take some shots of the cabin and as I crossed the curtain into Economy, it was a full cabin.

Last Row Business Class Seats

Air China’s economy still looks pretty decent in a 2-4-2 configuration not unlike what Cathay Pacific has in its A330 fleet. this also means AVOD on every seat and it would be one I would be comfortable to spend in for a regional flight as well! Unfortunately, I did not have the courage to take any photos of the cabin in such a full flight, so I returned back to the comfort of the front cabin. I went back to my seat and took the chance to try out the inflight entertainment system, and this is where Air China fails a bit. There was nothing wrong with the navigation and ease of use, but the selections were geared more towards Chinese travellers, and choices other than the usual blockbusters were limited. However, the screen is of a good size and brightness and contrast was much better than other regional business class cabins I have been on. Thus far, I think CX > SQ > QF > OZ > CA in terms of inflight entertainment selections, though they are all much better than domestic US flights in Business class that has crappy entertainment screens even in a 5 hour NY-LA flight…

Wine and Nuts

A short while later, the white wine I ordered was served along with a bowl of nuts and I asked for an additional glass of water along with it. I enjoyed the nuts with a TV show and it was great that Air China has a pretty decent selection even if it is not great. It seems that just right after I finished the snack, the business class meal is served in a similar manner as Cathay Pacific and Singapore Airlines with the appetizers and main courses on a single tray. The cabin crew will also walk around offering garlic bread to passengers which again is similar to premium Asian carriers! I was then served my glass of tea which was freshly brewed, however there was something wrong with the tea since it was sweet. One of the crew member noticed the mistake immediately and came back for my cup of tea and presented me with a fresh cup, though offered no explanations of it whatsoever.

Tea Service

The appetizers served was ‘Five-Spiced Smoked Pomfret’ and with the garlic bread, was very good, and I reckon the garlic bread is on par with what Cathay and SIA serves. A chinese salad of ‘Marinated Bran with Vegetables and Peanut’ was also served in the tray. The vegetables were crunchy and the marinated bran gave just the right flavour.

Main Course of Braised Chicken and Chestnuts with Yellow Wine Sauce

The main course of ‘Braised Chicken and Chestnuts with Yellow Wine Sauce’ that I picked was amazing since this was the first time I had such a dish and the taste was sweet at just the right portion. The chestnut that was served alongside the chicken pieces were also tasty and maintains a moist texture that makes it a great pairing. However, the dessert that came along after the meal was absolutely disastrous. Save for the fruit platter which was alright, the hazelnut cake was bad. It wasn’t inedible, but it was just a bunch of sugar and flour baked without any taste of hazelnut… No wonder most of the passengers stopped at the main course.

Dessert Service of Hazelnut Cake with Fresh Fruits

Anyway I was filled from the main course, and I decided to recline the seat fully, but there was another fault here again as the seat was stuck and does not go beyond a certain angle. Thus I called for the crew using the button and even with their help did not manage to move the seat to a full bed. Eventually I was moved to 11A which was empty, but it turns out that seat has the same fault as well, but luckily seat 11C was working just fine, so I managed to use 11B as a bed and 11A as a storage to place my stuff, and for the landing views. The crew were very friendly and apologetic in changing the seats for me and it didn’t feel like I was bothering them at all. The crew were also very knowledgeable in this flight during my chat with them as I enquired about their service from PEK to YVR which is also served by Air China using the Airbus A330 in the same cabin configuration. As I ended the conversation, I also asked for some souvenirs from the flight and the crew handed me a pack of playing cards, but they did not have any stationery kit.

Business Class Cabin Dimmed for Comfort

With still some way to go in the flight, the cabin lights were dimmed for passengers to rest after the meal and as I reclined the seat to a full flat-bed position, I placed the blankets which were placed at the start of the flight on every seat on top and lie down on the nice soft pillow. Both the blanket and pillow made the cabin a touch more luxurious than Business, as they made sleeping way more comfortable. In fact I might even say it is close to what Asiana Airlines provides in First, with the difference being one needs to make the bed themselves. I lay down to complete my TV show, and took some time to explore the other functions of the inflight entertainment including the air show. There was also an interactive map view by Google which seems like a nice touch though there doesn’t seem to be anything special compared to the normal airshow on other planes.

Full-flat Bed in Air China Business Class

Bulkhead Business Class Seats

Since it was a long day for me and I knew I had an early flight the next day, I decided to take a short nap before landing in Singapore. It was easy to fall asleep on the bed and as I woke up, it was time for descent into Singapore and the cabin lights were lit up as the crew got busy to prepare the cabin for landing. I freshened up and went to take some ending photos of the cabin from the last row. All along the crew did not really bother me for all the photo-taking which I appreciated. It was a smooth landing into Singapore and this is one of the best airports to arrive into after a long day because of the fast immigration and baggage claim. Even though I arrived at Terminal 1, it was still fast passing through passport control and I was out of the terminal in half an hour which is the norm here.

Air China Business Class Cabin onboard their Airbus A330

Last edited by quirrow; Mar 10, 2013 at 2:51 pm
Old Mar 10, 2013, 5:05 pm

wow, CA J intra-asia has a very good hard product! and slipper positioning???!! pleasantly surprised.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 5:21 pm

So is this on one big trip?
Again, wonderful trip report and great captures with the camera!!
Old Mar 10, 2013, 5:38 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by yerffej201
wow, CA J intra-asia has a very good hard product! and slipper positioning???!! pleasantly surprised.
Yup I was surprised as well, and the service on both sectors I had was pretty good, not sure if that was the norm though. However transit in Beijing is such a pain, and their lounge in PEK needs a refurbish, added shower rooms and better care and servicing.

Originally Posted by Earthlings
So is this on one big trip?
Thanks again! This was on 2 separate itineraries and I have work that needs to attend to in Indonesia and Singapore, so there were some domestic flights in between these 2 itineraries that I will not be reporting here... They were flown over a span of 3 months so it's essentially one big one (Japan and Korea) and a few additional small ones, but I figured I would just post it all on one thread.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 12:11 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Enjoy the entire report so far. Great stuff. Thanks.

I see you like ramen as well (me too). I sampled them all over Asia.

You managed a shot of the snow capped Mt Fuji, thought that was cool !!!
Old Mar 11, 2013, 1:13 pm

Programs: FT
nice photos...what is that a 14mm lens?

i have found the flagship ippudo location in Hakata to be markedly different than other locations outside of japan. i would be curious of the locations in japan are closer. so much so that i just don't get those that spend so much time in line at the NYC and HKG locations wholly empty cabins on Air China to PEK and SIN. food looks great to SIN.

somehow i get the sense that the pitch on the flight to HND from CTS would be tight for someone like me at 6ft...verus someone like my wife at 5'1. i so miss the food floors at the department stores in japan. if one can not find a great restaurant, the default is always to a dept store and it's better than most restaurants i go to for japanese food....
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:09 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by allset2travel
Enjoy the entire report so far. Great stuff. Thanks.

I see you like ramen as well (me too). I sampled them all over Asia.

You managed a shot of the snow capped Mt Fuji, thought that was cool !!!
Thank you allset2travel! Yup, ramen is fast, tasty and value-for-money in Japan. Furthermore they are open throughout the day!

If travelling on ANA/JAL the pilots will usually inform passengers when Mt Fuji is in sight, but on Air China, no word about it so the passengers need to be vigilant for the mountain on a clear day.

Originally Posted by mkjr
nice photos...what is that a 14mm lens?

i have found the flagship ippudo location in Hakata to be markedly different than other locations outside of japan. i would be curious of the locations in japan are closer. so much so that i just don't get those that spend so much time in line at the NYC and HKG locations wholly empty cabins on Air China to PEK and SIN. food looks great to SIN.

somehow i get the sense that the pitch on the flight to HND from CTS would be tight for someone like me at 6ft...verus someone like my wife at 5'1. i so miss the food floors at the department stores in japan. if one can not find a great restaurant, the default is always to a dept store and it's better than most restaurants i go to for japanese food....
mkjr, I am using a 16-35 mm lens mainly...

And I agree that the Ippudo I had in Hong Kong was nowhere comparable to the one I had in Sapporo. I've not been to Fukuoka before so I can't comment on how it compares to the one there. However the Ippudo ramen in Sapporo was fantastic and worth the visit!

Food in departments stores in Japan is generally reliable and I had a my best meal in one such restaurant in Nagoya

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.