Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

From Mountains to Beaches: Canada - Korea - Japan - Singapore - Indonesia - Maldives

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

From Mountains to Beaches: Canada - Korea - Japan - Singapore - Indonesia - Maldives

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2013, 2:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Gold
Amazingly detailed trip report and incredible pictures. Glad there are still many parts left. Thanks!!
Old Jan 29, 2013, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, Avis 1st
Amazing photos! Definitely looking forward to the rest of this TR!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:07 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Originally Posted by iahkid2014
Amazing photos! Definitely looking forward to the rest of this TR!
Thank you iahkid2014! I hope you enjoy the report!

Originally Posted by yoonny
Amazingly detailed trip report and incredible pictures. Glad there are still many parts left. Thanks!!
Thank you yoonny! Yup there is still a lot of parts left, and I hope to complete it as soon as possible!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:18 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

From Mountains to Beaches - Sheraton Miyako and Westin Tokyo

Upon arriving at Narita, I purchased tickets for the airport limousine to the Sheraton Miyako Tokyo which is close to the JR Meguro Station. The journey to the hotel takes around 2 hours and stops at numerous other hotels leaving me to be one of the last travellers to be alighted. The Sheraton in Tokyo is located in a residential enclave, albeit an upper middle class neighbourhood. The surroundings are clean and the lobby is quiet in the afternoon when I arrived, though it can get busy as this hotel is popular amongst tour companies. As a service for guests, the hotel offers complimentary shuttle services to the JR Meguro station and the JR Shinagawa station, but the latter is only for the morning departures until 10am.

Main Lobby

Twin Bedroom

There was a separate check-in for elite SPG members though no suite upgrades seemed available as I would stay in this hotel for a second time later in my trip. The receptionist did not mention any Platinum upgrades but I was assigned a room in the high floor facing the gardens, and breakfast coupons were included with the keys. In lieu of a club lounge, the hotel also offers drinks at the lobby lounge at certain times though I did not utilize this perk. Coming from the excellent Sheraton D-Cube in Seoul, the Sheraton Miyako in Tokyo is a bit more like those Sheratons in North America. Basic room providing clean lodging but nothing more. The bathroom was a bit dated, so were the furnitures in the room. It was lacklustre at best but the room rates are amongst the cheapest in town and I will just make do for this one night. In addition, the hotel was only able to provide me a room with 2 beds as the King rooms would mean it would be those of the standard category.

Bathroom

Breakfast is served in the Shisen restaurant in the lobby, and it was a full buffet breakfast though the quality of the offerings leave much to be desired. Again another average breakfast which is more than the usual Sheraton Club offerings in North America, but definitely falling short of the usual expectations in Asia. I was able to get a 4 pm check-out of this property and also store my snowboard bag with the hotel until my next stopover here for my trip to Sapporo.

Japanese Garden in Sheraton

The highlight of the stay in this hotel has got to be their Japanese garden on site which is nice for an early morning stroll, especially since Tokyo has much milder winter weather than Seoul. The weather was averaging around 9 to 12 degree Celcius during my stay and it was wonderful to walk about in the garden, after experiencing the bitter cold of Seoul. I moved to the Westin Tokyo after one night, and took a short cab ride to the Westin which is located just beside the JR Ebisu station.

The Westin is on a totally different level than the Sheraton. It is definitely grander in every sense. The gleaming skyscraper shows the hotel is built more recently and the marbled lobby creates a more opulent ambience. Initially I was hesitant to stay here due to its gaudy looking photos of European furnitures inside the room. However, this hotel was more convenient for me to get to Yokohama as they have a direct local train service, and I was able to score a Starpicks rate for my stay, making it more affordable.

Lobby at the Westin Tokyo

Checking in at the lobby, I find the staff at the Westin to be far more friendly which could be attributed to their confidence and fluency in speaking English. This meant there was a far more comprehensive overview of the property. However, no upgrades again this time, but the property does have a club lounge and I was given the option to have breakfast in the restaurant at the lobby-level restaurant or the club lounge.

King Bed Room

My room was located on the 17th floor, on the same floor as the club lounge so it was convenient to walk to get some refreshments. The rooms at the Westin Tokyo are definitely more spacious and they provided a King bedroom with a dressing table on the side. There was a sofa and armchair with a table by the window, with the work desk and TV on the other end of the wall. It felt more like a Junior Suite than a Executive room so I was definitely pleased with the decision to switch to the Westin from the Sheraton. I liked the Westin so much I wanted to switch my stay when I returned to Tokyo to this property that I searched for availability upon settling down in the room, but didn't manage to find availability for the date I would return.

Bathroom

Another thumbs up for the Westin would be the nice bathroom which had both a walk-in shower and a bathtub. The layout of the bathroom is similar to the Sheraton on the Park in Sydney and in fact the room size seems similar as well. As I relaxed in my room after a day of sightseeing, I was also able to enjoy the sunset behind the Yebisu Garden Place which my room faces. As I mentioned earlier the Westin is located opposite the JR Ebisu Station. However to get to the station, we need to pass through the Yebisu Garden Place which houses restaurants including a branch of Robuchon's restaurant in the chateau. The Yebisu Garden Place used to be home to a brewery, but it is a well developed high-end commercial area today. It is worth spending an hour or two just walking around this area if staying at the Westin Tokyo.

Sunset at Yebisu Garden Place

Panorama of Tokyo from the Westin Executive Club Lounge

Evening snacks in the club lounge at the Westin was adequate though nothing spectacular. The lounge, however provided a very scenic view of the city of Tokyo and one could really appreciate the size of this metropolis from here. For breakfast, the lounge is perhaps not the best place to head to since it has limited daily selections. Which is why I prefer the lobby restaurant below which offers a very wide selection including a whole area to Japanese congee, pickles and miso soup. Having a local breakfast is something I value in hotel stays as eating the same croissant and eggs over and over can get pretty boring over several weeks of travel, and it was here that the Westin shines compared to the Sheraton in Tokyo.

Breakfast at Westin
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:24 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

From Mountains to Beaches - Sightseeing in Tokyo

On my first day in Tokyo, after settling down in the Sheraton, I headed out to the nearby JR Meguro station on the hotel's shuttle bus and explored the area for food upon the recommendation from the concierge. I settled on ramen, a classic dish and it would also be my first time ever ordering ramen using the vending machine. Being a ramen store in a residential neighbourhood, there wasn't any English translation though the chef was able to help out and I had a bowl of tasty Shio Ramen. Ramen is perhaps one of the cheapest food one can have in Japan and it is not uncommon to see long queues of people outside ramen stores since they tend to be small eateries. They are however also great places to observe the locals as during the time I was slurping on my ramen, there was a salaryman in his business coat, two high school students on the way back from school and another young guy on casual jacket and jeans, all slurping heartily on ramen.

Shio Ramen at Meguro

Minicar at Meguro

After the extremely late lunch, I walked back to the JR Meguro station. Basically for tourists and visitors, the JR Yamanote line which circles around Tokyo is the major subway route to note of. Many of Tokyo's largest points of interest are located near the main stops. Not only that, buyers of the Japan Rail Pass will also be able to ride on this rail since they are included under the fare. However, it is not very worthwhile to buy a Rail Pass just solely for the Yamanote line since rides usually cost 300 Yen at most for a one way trip. What best to start my exploration in the city by starting at Tokyo Station. The recently refurbished station maintains its traditional facade and houses a huge departmental store, and a 5-star hotel. A very popular meeting point is the 2 domes upon the exit of the JR line on each ends of the station so make sure to specify to the other party where you are meeting. The surrounding of the Tokyo station are huge glass and steel monoliths marking the Marunouchi district where the top tier hotels such as the Shangri-la and Peninsula are located at. In addition the area is also useful to get free wifi access as many of the office buildings are owned by the Mitsubishi Estate (one of the largest conglomerates in Japan), with brochures on office buildings about the history of this area.

Tokyo Station Facade

For photographers and architecture enthusiasts, the Tokyo International Forum in the vicinity is not to be missed. The whole shape of the building looks like the hull of a ship, and the modern curves of the building is especially stunning when lit up just slightly after sunset. This venue houses exhibitions and trade shows regularly so it can get crowded, but that also means one is certain to find a variety of food options around this area as well. However, another short walk from the Forum lies the Yurakucho station which is a midpoint between Tokyo station and the Ginza area. A BIC Camera store and outlet is located here and that was my first exposure to this amazing store in Japan that sells all manner of electronic products in addition to some goods like watches. It can be an interesting place to shop at since there are plenty of interesting products on display.

Tokyo International Forum

The next stop lies Ginza which is like 5th Avenue to New York, and Central to Hong Kong. Major luxury brands have huge shops here and due to the clientele served, this neighbourhood is spotlessly clean. The whole experience left me wondering if Japan is just so clinically devoid of filth that exists in other metropolitan cities around the world. One of the most famous landmarks in the area is the Ginza-Yonchome intersection with the clock tower atop the Wako Main Building, and where 2 major department stores, namely Mitsukoshi and Matsuya are located at. An Apple Store can also be found opposite the Matsuya Ginza store. While food in Ginza expensive, it isn't that much more expensive than the rest of the country, and thus comparatively speaking, high end restaurants in the area is good value for dinner where I had amazing melt-in-the mouth Karubi or grilled beef short rib.

Ginza Yonchome Intersection

Kalbi BBQ Dinner at Ginza

On the second day in Tokyo, it was time to enjoy the last colours of autumn by heading to one of Tokyo's most famous parks - Ueno. It is easily accessible on the JR line and closer to get to in the morning as the hotel shuttle bus from Sheraton Miyako drops me off at Shinagawa station. With the clear blue skies and mild winter temperatures Ueno Park was an easy walk in the park, literally! There were many musicians playing in the park that day and street performers as well even though little crowd to be seen. The trees were still in its glorious autumn colours and really added to the beauty of the park. Inside the park, one can find numerous museums and I chose to visit the Tokyo National Museum which has a very nice reflecting pool on the main entrance, though this morning the fountain was not turned on yet. Having been to some fantastic museum, the Tokyo National Museum was really a disappointment. Walking inside the museum was really hot and this made for a relatively tiring walk. The museum hall was also not very well lit which means exhibits does not appear at their best.

Autumn in Ueno Park

Tokyo National Museum

Even though the visit to the museum wasn't as satisfying, the lunch set I had at the JR Ueno Station was superb. I have learnt that train stations house some great choices for food in Japan, and sometimes they can be value-for-money as well. I had a set lunch comprising of Tempura and cold soba, with an additional order of Kuromitsu ice-cream topped with red beans and mochi, and all were absolutely great!

Kuromitsu Warabi Mochi Sundae

I headed to switch hotels on the afternoon after lunch and took a rest in the room before venturing out to Shibuya in the evening. Unlike the rest of Tokyo, Shibuya is a bit more noisy and really crowded at all times of the day. And what other better spot to watch the crowds than anywhere around the now-famous Shibuya Crossing. Famous for being the location for shopping, the crowd at Shibuya comprises of tourists from all over the world and young, trendy Japanese enjoying their day after work. Not suprisingly, this is one area where shops are still on the 3rd of January when many stores are still closed for the New Year's holiday.

Shibuya Crossing

Just before heading to Yokohama in the evening, I picked to visit Odaiba on the morning. This relatively new district in Tokyo is famous for its waterfront views, and what better way to enjoy this by taking the Tokyo Monorail. One of the main attraction for the automobile geek in me is the Toyota Mega Web which is a city showcase for Toyota located beside Palette Town, a European-inspired shopping town. The Toyota Mega Web is really like an amusement park with an automobile theme, and visitors can view a racing simulation provided by the producers of the GranTurismo video game, or take a test drive around a track on one of the numerous Toyota models on display. It is also one of the places where you can try sitting on the Toyota Century, the flagship car built by the company for the Emperor and many other Japanese VIPs and incidentally sold only inside Japan. There is another section for automobile enthusiasts located in Palette Town Mall itself to browse through some classic car collections from around the world in addition to the classic GT-Rs and Toyota sports cars. However this classic car museum was less fascinating compared to Mega Web itself.

Toyota Crown Majesta and Century

Toyota GT86

Ferris Wheel and Monorail

The best time to visit Odaiba, however has got to be during the afternoon and close to sunset when one gets a wonderful view of the Rainbow Bridge being lit up with the skyline of the city behind it. In addition, the numerous restaurants also open for business and the boardwalk along the shopping malls gets really crowded with families and tourists alike. The beauty of Odaiba during the sunset was just so beautiful that I made a return trip to the area on my second stop in Tokyo!

Fountain at Palette Town
Old Feb 2, 2013, 9:30 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

From Mountains to Beaches - Yokohama and the Sheraton by the Bay

Instead of taking the Shinkansen, I am saving the start date of my Japan Rail Pass till tomorrow so that I will be able to utilize it more effectively for the return trip as well. Thus I boarded the Shonan-Shinjuku line from the Ebisu Station which is close to the Yebisu Garden Place and the Westin Tokyo where I was spending the previous night at. It was perhaps a 20 minute journey from Ebisu to Yokohama and while it was a local train, I was able to alight at Yokohama station and it was just another 5 minute walk using the overhead pathway to the Yokohama Bay Sheraton Hotel and Towers which is just opposite the station.

Lobby of the Sheraton 酒店大廳

Arriving at the hotel, I took the escalator down to the first floor of the lobby for check-in. However since I was SPG Platinum and my room was upgraded to a Club Room, I was directed to the Club Floor for check-in. As I took the elevator up, it was nice to be in the same elevator with a bunch of athletes from Malaysia. The so-called Towers check-in is located on the 26th floor of the hotel and I was assigned a room on the 25th floor, just one floor below. Unlike the wonderful Towers Club in Singapore, the Towers Club in Yokohama was small and basic but it does have wonderful views over the city of Yokohama that the Towers Lounge in Singapore lacked.

City and Bay View at Night 橫浜市夜景

My assigned room was another Twin room but it wasn't such a big issue for me as it was just a one night stay. The room was a non-smoking room and was clean and well-kept even though the furnishings were real dated. My main gripe was that the beds weren't as comfortable and really on the soft side. From the hotel's website, the Towers Room seems to be better furnished than those of the other class of rooms (Luxury and Regular). However the bathroom seems to have been updated and had both a walk-in shower and a bathtub. This was surprising since I was expecting the normal tub here. Considering that the price of this hotel was the cheapest I stayed at throughout this trip, it was terrific value for money! In fact travellers who are looking to save money can consider staying at Yokohama while visiting Tokyo, since many of the sights in Tokyo aren't that far away from this hotel anyway!

Yokohama Bay Sheraton Twin Room 橫浜灣喜來登雙人房

I headed up to the Towers Lounge for some snacks and coffee after placing my luggage in the room. However as I mentioned earlier, the lounge was really basic and offers not much in terms of food. Thus I went to enquire from the Towers Reception to seek places to head to and get a map of the city. The receptionist recommended that I head to some of the ramen places as Yokohama is famous for its Chinese-Japanese food and ramen is one of the favourite dishes which has Chinese origins. One of her picks was Yoshimuraya Ramen that was one of the best meals I had in this trip, and I encourage those staying at this hotel to walk about 15 minutes to the ramen stall for one of the best Shoyu ramen!

Bathroom 沐浴室

As a guest staying in the Towers Floor, I was entitled to breakfast, and I was also given a choice of having it in the lounge or the restaurant in the 2nd floor. Since the lounge was pretty small, I decided to have it on the main restaurant. The breakfast was basic as the hotel and it was nothing spectacular. In fact it was quite forgettable since it was also crowded. All I remembered was the buffet spread with scrambled eggs on the tray like those on American hotel lounges, some Japanese choices, fruits and salad counter... which are all too common!

Nissan Global HQ

The best part of staying here is perhaps the low price that could be as low as US$90, which is more or less what one would pay for the rate of airport hotels in the United States. But here, I get a solid 4-star hotel that is right smack in the middle of the city. Situated just opposite the main Yokohama station, it is a short walk to all the major department stores, shopping and good food in what is the second largest city in Japan. Not a bad deal if I should say myself! For the first night I took it easy and just walked around the bay and by accident came across the Nissan Global Headquarters. Being the second largest carmaker in Japan, Nissan also manufactures the GT-R, one of the best sports car to come out of the country and perhaps the most lust-worthy of all Japanese cars. A nice showroom is located at the ground floor which is open to visitors with many models being displayed there including their latest all-electric vehicle aptly named Leaf. For young adults, the main attraction is definitely the GT-R and the racing simulation game arcade that Nissan has set up, racing GT-Rs virtually, of course! There is also a small boutique selling all things Nissan including scale models and NISMO accessories that would be difficult to get elsewhere.

Nissan GT-R 日產 GT-R

For dinnertime, I seek out the ramen store using the map provided by the receptionist and managed to pass by another BIC Camera outlet as I walked across the canal. There are also many other smaller stalls selling interesting knick-knacks along the street. The area seems very pedestrian friendly and 2 other very famous ramen chains in Japan can also be found in the vicinity including Ippudo and Santouka. Since the one recommended - Yoshimuraya is available only in this city, this was the one I headed to. But first the obstacle was the huge queue outside, and since I wasn't in much of a hurry and the fact that the owner has supplied benches outside the store, I waited along with the rest. But before you take your spot outside the store, purchase your ramen tokens from the vending machine which is only in Japanese, though the staff can help out a bit in choices (even then do not expect it in English). It took about 25 minutes from the point in the photo to get into the store, as it seems people do not linger long after gulping down their ramen and they tend to leave in groups so it can be a fast turnaround.

Queueing for Ramen 排隊等著吃拉麵

Yoshimuraya only makes shoyu ramen,and they are topped with pork slices, spinach and seaweed. The shoyu soup base was one of the best I have tasted, and what makes it wonderful was the array of condiments you could add into the ramen, ranging from garlic chips to chilli paste. Being able to select the condiments allow guests to create variations in flavour to their liking, not that it was necessary. The pork slices was also amazing considering they use mainly lean pork (thus healthier), but it manages to be tender and slightly chewy. Best lean pork slices in ramen ever!

Yoshimuraya Ramen 吉村家拉麵

While Tokyo might take all the glamour, Yokohama is an enjoyable city as well for its beautiful bay and the waterfront was very active in the day unlike Odaiba in the day which seems dead. There are cruise ships being docked along the bay, and even an old cargo and passenger ship that used to belong to NYK (Nippon Yusen Kaisha) lines being moored for tourists to board. The NYK Hikawamaru is also moored around the Chinatown area, and is close to the Motomachi-Chukagai subway station so tourists could really visit the bay and explore the largest Chinatown in Japan. While I've been to many Chinatowns around the world, the one in Yokohama is probably the cleanest, and it is very pedestrian friendly too! Some of the best things to get in Chinatowns worldwide are usually the foodstuff and the most famous in Yokohama is pan-fried soup dumplings called Shengjianbao or 生煎包. These are larger versions of Xiaolongbaos that are pan-friend and has a pork filling with hot tasty soup inside. Again being a very popular destination in Yokohama, queues are present in one of the shops selling these dumplings and they were really delicious to have even compared to similar ones I had outside of Japan.

Yokohama Bay 橫浜灣

Yokohama Chukagai (Chinatown) 橫浜中華街

Close by the Chinatown is Yokohama Park that still features autumn colours when I was there in early December and it is definitely a nice place to end the day for a stroll before I headed back to the hotel to check out and board the train to Shin Yokohama station. Being the second largest city in Japan, Yokohama has 2 major train stations, one being Yokohama itself which is closer to the main sights and the bay, with the other being Shin Yokohama which is close to the major commercial district and where all the Shinkansen trains arrive and depart from. Since I am heading out west towards Nagoya, I started utilizing my Japan Rail Pass on that day for my train ride to Nagoya. Let's just say that if one visits Japan for the first time, a ride on the Shinkansen running between Tokyo and Osaka is a must to experience the culture of Japanese people.

Autumn in Yokohama Park 橫浜公園的秋天
Old Feb 2, 2013, 9:32 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

From Mountains to Beaches - Westin Nagoya and a meal of Hitsumabushi

Yokohama to Nagoya is about a 2 hour journey by Shinkansen, given that I had taken the high-speed rail in China that was based on the same technology, I was similarly impressed. Taking the Shinkansen is perhaps the next best thing to travelling in First Class, because on the Shinkansen the journey is fast, hassle-free, drops you right in the city centre and you are unlikely to encounter any turbulence. While there wasn't any luggage rack, I had no problem placing my luggage on the seat next to me since the Green Car cabin is pretty empty. For those travelling with lots of luggage, choose a seat at the end of the carriage for some space at the back to store luggages or ask the train conductor to store it inside a room for you. Otherwise hand-carry items and bags can be placed on the overhead rack.

Twin Bedroom and Couch 威斯汀雙人房

Guests staying at the Westin Nagoya Castle hotel can make use of a free shuttle service which stops just behind the Meitetsu department store beside Nagoya Station. However I forgot about that fact and instead chose a more convenient transport using the taxi. As the name of the hotel suggests, Westin Nagoya Castle is perhaps the only hotel that provides a beautiful view of the famous Nagoya Castle since it is just opposite the castle which is a short 10 minute taxi drive away. The fare thus wasn't that expensive and I was helped with my luggage upon arriving at the hotel immediately.

Bathtub and Sink 浴缸和水槽

Arriving in the evening at the hotel, there was no queue for the check-in even though I thought the hotel was pretty booked up during the dates I was due to stay. The check-in took quite long compared to the other SPG hotels I stayed at and while there wasn't any problem, it seems that the receptionist was just taking a long time to assign a room for me. However I did receive a Club Room with a view of the castle, but it was a Twin Room once again. Again no luck with a suite upgrade in all my Japan hotel stays so far with SPG.

Christmas Tree at Lobby 酒店大廳的聖誕樹

However by the time I finished the check in and settled down in my room, it was a bit late to try out the Club lounge, and I never did try the breakfast at the lounge as well since I chose to have it on the lobby restaurant, so there will be no photos of the lounge. The room I was assigned was pretty good in my opinion since it has a very spacious bathroom with both a tub and a walk-in shower. The bathroom was also very brightly lit which I appreciated and had amenities including a set of hair tonic set for men's and skincare set for ladies. They came in a miniature transparent pouch and this set was also present in the Sheraton Yokohama where I spent the night.

Nagoya Castle at Night 名古屋城夜景

While the bathroom was spacious, the room was not as large but the furnishings were much better compared to the Sheraton in Yokohama. There was a couch by the window to admire the view of the castle which was lit up very beautifully even at night. Upon ensuring that the room was in order and that my luggage was sent up, I headed to the concierge desk to enquire on what Nagoya is known for. I was then provided with a map of the city and directed to some specialties and the grilled eel or Unagi caught my eye. Turns out Nagoya is famous for cooking the eel in a special way called Hitsumabushi 櫃まぶし and apparently there is a Japanese ritual to consuming this dish. For this dish, I was directed to the Meitetsu department store beside Nagoya station and that meant taking the shuttle bus back to where I arrived earlier. This particular store I headed to for Hitsumabushi is located at the top floor of the building where several other restaurants could be found as well, and the restaurant only serves this specialty dish with no other choices.

Hitsumabushi Set

Unagi in Japan isn't exactly a cheap dish and the tradition of eating Hitsumabushi makes this dish particularly expensive. There are apparently 3 methods to consuming this dish, first is to enjoy the unagi as it is without any condiment, the second way is to mix a portion of the eel with the rice and the accompanying condiments that includes green onions, perilla, seaweed and wasabi. The amazing burst of flavours at this second serving is perhaps my favourite method of consuming the dish. It was just a unique flavour that I had never tasted. And finally we could also pour green tea or broth to a portion of the unagi that has been mixed with rice and the condiments. This creates another different texture to the dish. Due to the various methods of eating this dish, the unagi and rice are usually served on a wooden pot, with a separate ceramic bowl for us to scoop a small portion of the unagi and rice into so that we can try out the best method to enjoy Hitsumabushi! It was an amazing experience to enjoy just one particular dish and thankfully I managed to figure it all out even when the menu and servers do not really speak English! In fact this dish was so good, I returned to the same restaurant the very next day for lunch before leaving Nagoya.

Midland Square at Night, outside Nagoya Station

Since I only had one night in Nagoya, I took the time to explore the city after dinner and visited Sakae area after dinner. This particular area can be referred to as the downtown of Nagoya and it was still crowded at night. Visitors just need to use the TV Tower as a point of reference for this area along with the ferris wheel which marks the top of the Sakae subway station. This would definitely be the place to go for nightlife in Nagoya, but as I had an early day tomorrow, I just walked around to explore the area before taking the subway back to the hotel for my tour of the Toyota factory tomorrow.

Sakae Area at Night
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:46 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Still waiting for the rest of this report ... and great pictures!
Old Feb 26, 2013, 4:40 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

From Mountains to Beaches - Sheraton Miyako and sights around Osaka

As I had a late lunch, I checked out of my hotel slightly later than 4pm and waited for the next shuttle bus from the Westin Nagoya Castle to the Nagoya Station where I will board my next Shinkansen train. Travelling on the Shinkansen between cities in Japan is one of travel's best inventions, and that is one reason why I find China's push into high-speed rail will spur consumption through tourism growth in the country. My favourite parts of travelling in Europe was in Germany and Italy where their high-speed rail network connects their major cities (Hamburg to Berlin and Rome to Milan). Departing on an evening train from Nagoya, it took me less than a 1 hour and a half ride on the Shinkansen to reach Shin-Osaka station.

Shinkansen at Nagoya Station 新幹線在名古屋站

Upon reaching Shin-Osaka, I boarded the Midosuji subway line to Namba station, and transferred to the Kintetsu Nara line to take the train to Uehonmachi station where the Sheraton Miyako Osaka is located at. Arriving at the basement, I made my way up to the second floor following the signage which was pretty easy to follow. The best way is to look for a store selling Belgian waffles and the escalator beside it will lead to the Sheraton Miyako entrance. However upon entering the hotel, there is another escalator to bring guests to the the lobby. This hotel is also accessible for having airport buses to both Osaka Itami and Kansai Airport.

Sheraton Miyako Hotel

Starting at this point of my trip, my sister will join me for the journey so it would be twin beds from now on. Check-in was fast unlike the one in Westin Nagoya, and similar to the Sheraton Miyako Tokyo, the receptionist let me know I was upgraded to a club room, and this property actually had a club lounge as well. Next I was informed of the breakfast at the second floor restaurant though I had to request for late check-out myself. The room here is very basic, not unlike the Sheratons one gets in the United States, and it felt even more spartan than the one in Tokyo. The twin beds were large enough and there was actually ample seating including a couch by the window.

Club Twin Room 雙人房

The bathroom was also smaller than the one in Tokyo and only a bathtub was inside though the toilet still has the additional fixtures for washing and cleaning. A good reason to stay here is for the day trip to Nara as the Kintetsu rail stops at the Nara city centre and just walking distance to the major sights in Nara. Another would be for the low rate offered in the hotel which could range around Ą8,000 per night for 2 person. This rate would make this one of the cheapest hotels I stayed in Japan.

Bathroom

When checking in, the receptionist provided vouchers and the breakfast here was similar to the offering in Sheraton Miyako Tokyo with the basics like scrambled eggs, bacon, and ham in addition to congee, salad and fruits. It was alright but nothing memorable about it. The club lounge at the top was also pretty small and perhaps the size of two guestrooms converted into a seating lounge with some cookies and beverage counter along with a coffee machine. For the price though, I think the hotel is a good deal and definitely worth it for the money if looking for basic accomodation in Osaka.

Bridge Leading to Osakajo 大阪城

The next morning after breakfast, we walked around the neighbourhood and it seems that the area around the hotel is more like a residential area (again similar to the Sheraton Miyako Tokyo). I guess I should just stop comparing since they are after all owned by the same company. Location-wise, it is quiet and yet still very centrally located as well as having direct train link to Nara directly underneath the hotel. It was also a short walk to the Tsuruhashi 鶴橋 station from where I boarded the direct train towards Osakajokoen 大阪城公園.

Osaka Castle 大阪城

Osaka Castle is perhaps one of the most recognizable landmarks of the city and it has a very large park and several office buildings around it. There is also a stadium beside of some sorts which hosts events and concerts for those keen to experience Japanese pop music. Be prepared for a long and tiring walk around the castle though due to some steep incline around the castle, and in my opinion the best views of the castle are from the bottom around the moat, so there is no need to climb all the way to the centre unless one is keen to visit the castle itself.

Kushi Katsu Set at Kushinoya

For lunch, we had it at Umeda 梅田 Station which is also directly linked to Osakajokoen, and as before I chose to eat at one of the restaurants on the top floor of the department stores in the area. We picked on a Kushi-Katsu outlet which serves various skewers that are deep-fried with breadcrumbs. With no English menu to order from, we picked from the set lunches. There were 2 plates for every diner in the restaurant and one plate consisted of the various dips and sauces. A similar compartmentalized plate holds the various kushi-katsu that is served in stages. The way to eat them was to dip the skewers in the corresponding sauce. Turns out to be nice and it is worth noting that Kushi-Katsu is a specialty of the Kansai area (Osaka and Kobe), and it is worth going to this restaurant just for the way these kushi-katsu was served since it was easy for diners to choose the right dips for the right skewers.

Okonomiyaki at Okaru

In the evening I decided to move to the St Regis Osaka for the next 2 nights, after getting some good deals on a Starpicks rate and thus we checked out at 4pm and headed to the St Regis which is located in the stylish Midosuji area. Meanwhile at night, a friend who has been living in Osaka for the past few years brought us for some local Okonomiyaki, another specialty of Osaka. The local eatery which I discovered to be called Okaru is not commonly found by travellers as it is neatly tucked in a side alley. However the okonomiyaki was suprisingly nice and the service was wonderful as well! The highlight of the dinner was when the server added in a well drawn picture of Hello Kitty and Mickey Mouse using the mayonnaise on top of the cooked okonomiyaki! The downpour during the evening did not dampen our mood for dessert after the meal and we had an excellent green tea (matcha) parfait with chestnut cake. This counts for a wonderful day spent in Osaka!

Green Tea Parfait

Chestnut Cake
Old Feb 26, 2013, 6:08 pm

Programs: Star Alliance, OneWorld, SkyTeam
what a trip report....amazing photos too!
Old Feb 26, 2013, 7:57 pm

Great Trip Report

Fantastic stuff. A trip report with photos of everything along the way.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 6:30 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

From Mountains to Beaches - St Regis and Nightlife at Osaka with a Sojourn to Nara

I spent the next 2 nights in the St Regis Osaka, at a discounted Starpicks rate which was quite reasonable for a St Regis. The location of the St Regis can be difficult to find as the taxi driver himself wasn't very sure of the location since the entrance is by the side street of Shinsaibashi. The building where the hotel is located is at the intersection of Midosuji and Hommachi and the Hommachi subway station is just by the hotel's entrance. Furthermore, travellers can enjoy a nice walk from the hotel to Daimaru department store which has nearly everything, and along Midosuji are all the luxury international boutiques and watch retailers.

Reception Lobby

Rooftop Park in Autumn

Check-in was conducted on the 12th floor of the building as the main entrance at the intersection is a lobby for the office tower and can be used for some events as well. Adjoining the reception desk was a roof garden which is nice for an early morning walk. Booked a Deluxe Twin Room but was given a Grand Deluxe Twin on arrival and it was a very nice room situated on the corner. It was also very spacious and perhaps one of the most beautiful room I had during my stay in Japan. An alcove marks the entrance of the room, and there was 2 very large double beds that are more like queen beds. At the end of the room is a sitting area with space for a desk and office chair as well.

Grand Deluxe Twin Bedroom

Shortly after checking in, the butler came over and brought us welcome drinks of warm Apple Tea with some pastries which was delicious. Calling up the butler for coffee or tea is one of the perks of staying in a St Regis and the service here in Osaka is flawless.

Welcome Drink of Apple Tea

The ensuite bathroom is almost as large as the bedroom itself with a bathtub in the centre and a long marble countertop with double sinks. There was also a walk-in shower room and the toilet was enclosed by another glass door. Bathroom amenities were by Sothys, but it wasn't a particularly nice scent that I liked. Two doors lead to the bathroom and the door at the other end leads to the dressing area where there is a small walk-in closet where our luggages were stored at. The dressing room had two pairs of Yukata or Japanese style bathrobes which was nice to wear inside the room, as well as 2 pairs of slippers.

Bathroom Perspective

Yukata Bathrobe

Beside the dressing room is a bar counter where Platinum members get credit for minibar consumption, which I think was around 2000 Yen per night for the bar consumption. In addition, the room has a Nespresso machine which I think is a must for all luxury hotels worldwide. The capsules in the room was also replenished daily.

Sothys Bathroom Amenity

Breakfast was included for 2 persons and it was to be had at La Veduta, the Italian restaurant situated on the lobby level. However, it was very packed on the first morning we were there and we had to head back to our room to wait. It was a full buffet style breakfast with a choice of Japanese bento set breakfast or a selection of ala carte options. I have to say that the bento breakfast was very immaculately presented, and the dishes for the Japanese breakfast should be changed on a seasonal basis. The best part of the breakfast was the danish pastries which was some of the most amazing I have had in a hotel. In particular, I loved the chestnut danish that was available on both morning I was there. This would be one of the few hotel restaurants where I would be willing to pay for breakfast as it was just that amazing!

Japanese Breakfast Bento at La Veduta

Lobby Lounge at Night

Both nights I spent at the St Regis, I was able to experience the nightlife in the city as well, since I was able to visit Nara for a daytrip. The hotel's location made it easy to shop along both Midosuji and Shinsaibashi which runs parallel to each other. In addition walking along the pedestrian-only section of Shinsaibashi will lead to Dotonbori 道頓堀, where one can find another of Osaka's major landmark - the neon sign of Glico-man which serves as the logo of the confectionery company. In addition, the area around Dotonbori is packed with izakayas, ramen stores and okonomiyaki outlets where travellers can get some of the best food in town.

Dancers outside the Hermés Store at Mido-suji

Dotonbori 道頓堀

As mentioned earlier, I used Osaka as a base to explore Nara, and the best way to get to Nara from the city is to take the Kintetsu Nara line from Osakauehonmachi station. The travel time on this local train takes slightly more than half an hour. Even for holders of the JR Rail Pass, this is still a better way to travel since the cost is not that expensive at around 500 Yen for a single journey ride to Nara and it stops right at the centre of town where Nara's main tourist sights are located at.

On the train to Nara

Shrine Tablets in Kofukuji

We arrived at Kintetsu Nara station just slightly after noon after leaving our hotel at around 11:15 am. Since we had a wonderful breakfast at the hotel, we skipped lunch, though just beside Kintetsu Nara station was a nice pedestrian mall where one can get some local specialty of Nara. One of the major temples in Nara is Kofuku-ji 興福寺 which is located less than 5 minutes away from the station and famous for their 5-tiered pagoda. There is a slight uphill walk but nothing too tiring and the wonderful sunshine on the day made for a nice walk around the temple.

Octagonal Pavilion at Kofukuji 興福寺

The famous Nara Deer Park where wild deers are free to roam also connects Kofuku-ji with Todai-ji 東大寺 which houses the Great Buddha statue. Nara is long considered one of the birthplace of a particular sect of Buddhism and the area around both temples (Kofuku-ji and Todai-ji) are thus very serene places for a walk. Along the way, travellers will encounter numerous stands selling deer snacks where one can purchase. Be wary of the deers once you purchase the deer biscuits though as you will be swamped by them! The deers are generally harmless though as many kids were having fun feeding the deers that day, though there are signs saying that these deers could attack if provoked.

Deer Feeding at Nara Park

Deers at Nara Park

In between Kofuku-ji and Todai-ji, and in the middle of Nara Park lies Nara National Museum, and this would be a suitable stop in the middle for those who want to deviate somewhat from the temples. However we chose instead to proceed towards Todai-ji to see the great buddha statue. There was an entrance fee to enter the temple grounds, and along the way to enter the temple, one can get a variety of souvenirs including very cute deer ornaments and dolls. The Buddha Figure can be found inside the main Daibutsuden 大仏殿 which is itself an imposing structure that also houses other buddhist figurines. What was interesting during my visit was this hole on one of the wooden pillars that many Japanese (adults and kids alike) tried to crawl through. There was even a queue for devotees to crawl through but not knowing the meaning, I decided to pass on what seemed like a strenuous activity.

Daibutsu Buddha Figure

Great Buddha Hall (Daibutsuden 大仏殿) of Todaiji 東大寺

Beside the main great buddha hall or also known as the Daibutsuden, the Nigatsu-do 二月堂 is also worth a visit as it provides a vantage point to view the scenery of Nara. The Nigatsu-do or the Second Month Hall in English is located along a small hill to the right of the Daibutsuden and it was nice to be able to see the panorama of Todai-ji at sunset. This marks the end of my visit to Nara as we walked back to Kintetsu Nara Station from Todai-ji which took a leisurely 15 minute, and along the way we were able to get some snacks, desserts and hot tea as there are plenty of tea houses that sells those dainty Japanese mochi cakes and biscuits.

Nigetsu-do 二月堂

A day trip to Nara from Osaka is a way to explore the culture of Japanese and birthplace of Buddhism in Japan. The walk around Nara Park is a relaxing one that allows easy access to the top attractions in the city. At the end of the day when the sun sets, it might perhaps be better to spend it in bustling Dotonbori in Osaka.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 6:45 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by aSiAnRiCk
Still waiting for the rest of this report ... and great pictures!
Thank you! Was travelling the past few weeks, so I just had the time to update the rest of the report!

Originally Posted by styxl
what a trip report....amazing photos too!
Yup it was one amazing trip for me as well, styxl

Originally Posted by Stefan Sip
Fantastic stuff. A trip report with photos of everything along the way.
Glad that you enjoyed it Stefan!
Old Mar 1, 2013, 12:27 am

wow excellent trip report. amazing photos, BTW what camera are you using?
Old Mar 2, 2013, 7:32 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bandz
wow excellent trip report. amazing photos, BTW what camera are you using?
Thank you bandz, I am using a Canon 5D mk II with 16-35 f/2.8 lens, hence a lot of wide-angle shots. Some of the photos were from my iPhone 5.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.