Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

From Mountains to Beaches: Canada - Korea - Japan - Singapore - Indonesia - Maldives

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

From Mountains to Beaches: Canada - Korea - Japan - Singapore - Indonesia - Maldives

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2013, 6:55 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
From Mountains to Beaches - Asiana First Suite Class Part 4

After the snack of noodles, it was time for the lobster. Maybe I was full from the snack or the dinner was just too damn good, but the lobster was a disappointment in comparison. I kind of regretted ordering the lobster for the snack. The white wine served was nice enough to go well with the lobster though! Another fruit plate followed at the end of the meal and I asked for more icewine to go along with it.

Meursault 1er Cru Clos Des Poruzots 2009

Lobster Main Course

Fruit Platter

Array of Beverages

The second meal service ended with more beverage glasses as that befitting of a first class meal. It was just relaxing for the rest of the flight as we cruised past Northeastern China. The flight on Asiana also meant we needed to do a circuitous routing to bypass North Korean airspace. That must have added an hour or so to the flight time which meant more cabin time for me! I don't mind it at all when I have all 8 suites to myself! The route also showed me another part of China I've yet to see before. Basically the route that the plane took was like watching Discovery when you look out of the windows! So this was another thing I do enjoy on long-haul transpacific flights, especially when going through the polar routes.

Snow blankets most of Northeast China

Luckily the pilot did not set it on autopilot or else we would fly past Pyongyang...

Rural Towns of Northeast China

Mountains of Northeast China

As we approached Incheon, the cabin windows were opened, letting in the warm glow of the sunset. The clear weather gave nice views of the islands around Incheon and was a fitting end to a great flight. But service have yet to end, as Ms. Bang came back to offer a pre-arrival beverage. Cathay First does not offer this except for a bottle of water, and I thought this was a mice touch in First Class. I got more ginseng tea as i watched the landing video showing how to relax the muscles and massage oneself after the long flight time. Another great touch by Asiana showing this video! The landing itself was one of the best I have experienced in a very long time, but then again, being upfront means landing is particularly smooth! The flight crew also made sure I was the first off the plane at the end of this long flight!

Route bypassing North Korean Airspace

Suite Doors

Finishing off the pre-arrival drink

Views on Descent

Warm glow in the Suite Cabin

After disembarking, the queue for immigrations was not too bad, and it was actually quite fast. By the time I was out on the baggage claim, both my bags have been pre-loaded onto a baggage cart just waiting for me to roll it off. All in all a very pleasant experience on arrival, as it is to be expected in many Asian airports.

Landing at Incheon

To recap, the flight is probably one of the best I had and I particularly enjoyed the huge TV and the attentive service by both stewardess during the flight. I would probably rate it a perfect 10 flight, and if I really want to be picky, I could probably say some parts of the meal was not that nice. But it is an airplane, you just don't expect them to serve food as good as those on the ground right?

Thank You for Flying Asiana

Asiana Boeing 777-200ER at Incheon
Old Jan 7, 2013, 8:39 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat Hyatt Globalist Marriott Platinum
Great report so far!

Nice seeing an OZ suites report, I've flown in the old seats but haven't had the pleasure of the new suites. Definitely agree on the great service though.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
I agree. Great TR so far. Very informative re the Asiana suites and service.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:51 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I think Korean food is fantastic, but when you're served bimbibap or bulgogi in both Y and F, that slightly takes away from the appeal. At the same time, with the addition of banchan, and every other course that you received...well I just wonder what J class gets!
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, TK Elite, A3 Gold
Great trip report, especially since you don't see too many about the new OZ suites. And fantastic pictures!

I remember hearing that OZ provides F passengers with some type of gift (like an iPhone case) - did you get offered that too?
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
GREAT start and photos. May I also ask details about your camera/lens/equipment?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 2:39 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamon, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by amolkold
GREAT start and photos. May I also ask details about your camera/lens/equipment?
Agree, great photos. Can't wait for the Maldives photos

Per OP's post up thread:
Currently all the photos posted so far are using my Canon 5d mkII with either the 16-35mm lens or the 50mm f1.4 lens
Old Jan 11, 2013, 9:14 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

This report makes me very very excited for my Asiana First trip coming up in May! Great report so far... too bad the Swiss lounge isn't an option in ORD.

FDW
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:40 pm

Brilliant report so far!
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA Plt, BA, SPG Plt
Fantastic photos. Too bad about the lobster, it all looks quite delicious!
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:43 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExP
Nice report ... Thanks.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Very good Report, Thank you
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:34 pm

Excellent and detailed report. If you have no objections, I'd like to email a link to the local Station manager for Asiana and SAS here at ORD.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Plat; 2 MM; Amex Rewards; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Plat.
What a terrific post. I am jealous that I am using OZ F class in April from LAX to ICN, but I will only get the older 747 F. I wonder if they cleared any F seats for award travel for your flight when it became obvious that you might be the only passenger. I really look forward to your ongoing adventures and great pictures.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 7:23 pm

Great pics of the new Asiana F.

Also, The Purple Pig is some great quality food! We also had the crispy pig ears over kale. The porchetta panini was also very tasty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.