Wiki Posts
Search

First Trip (Report) of a Lifetime: SFO-HKG and TPE, TPE-HKG-SFO in CX F

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2012, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CX828
I actually have the opposite feeling... I travel a lot and always hate it when officers stamp on a clean page, which could have been used for full page visas. A passport lasts longer if as many stamps are place on the same page. I usually ask immigration officers to stamp on a page which already have stamps on, if I remember. This was probably this officers logic

Nice TR, looking forward to the rest!
Originally Posted by mkjr
I also agree...the officials in HKG are very good and making sure to use space on pages already used since as you note, you need full pages for visa's as they are not going to put a visa over any stamps in your passport...i am probably going to have to get a new passport that is full of china/india visa's and stamps well before the 2015 expiry of the same.
Ah, good point. Most of the countries I visit don't require visas or I don't stay long enough. I'll ask them to spread it out in the future!

Originally Posted by byroshi
Thanks for the effort in this TR..keep up the good work!
Thanks for reading! Working until late tonight so you'll have to wait until tomorrow for the next awesome segment.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:52 pm

When is the F part of the Wing expected to be competed?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hqly2001
When is the F part of the Wing expected to be competed?
Early spring 2013.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Flying Solo: CX F HKG-TPE

In the remote gate area, there's the usual seating area and boarding pass scanners, but you board a bus to the plane. The gate area was crowded, but there were agents checking the BPs of the first/business class line. Although I was initially bummed about the remote gate, I was excited about the great tarmac views.

Some shots from the bus:
CX 777 with Dragonair A330

LH A340 and B747

Finally our bus pulled up to our 747. You don't really appreciate how large it is until you're standing on the ground looking up.

After walking up the jet bridge into the plane, I showed the purser my boarding pass. She looked up at me, smiled, and said the magic words: "You're the only one in first class today!" I went a little overboard with shots of the cabin, but will spare you all the bandwidth since it has been extensively covered in other TRs. Needless to say, I received VERY personalized attention during the flight.

The flight was originally a 2-class 777 when I booked the ticket. Being OCD and checking my itinerary daily (I mean being a normal flyertalker ), I noticed about a month prior to the flight that the plane had been changed to a 747. Since I was on an F award, I called into AA and had myself moved from business to first. Guess no one else booked at that time did, or they were on paid J.

I was promptly offered some champagne, to which I enthusiastically accepted.

The flight attendant offered to take some photos of me in the cabin which was very nice. Soon we pushed back and were on our short flight to TPE. Menus were distributed.

Wine list

With such a short flight, the FAs were quick to spring into action and take my order. Although I was quite full, for the sake of my future TR fans, I went with a full meal of the fruit, prawns, and dessert.

The table setting was immaculate and precise as always.

Fresh Seasonal Fruit and HK Milk Tea

Bread

As on my previous flight, I loved the garlic and pretzel bread and left the other two.

Main course

I was pretty stuffed by this point and only remember that everything tasted just okay.

Dessert

Delicious! I'm a big dessert guy (probably literally by this point), and love chocolate mousse.

Before I knew it, my tray was cleared and we began our descent into TPE. Immigration wasn't as fast as I would have liked as a flight from ICN arrived just before me, but I was able to clear about 45 minutes after landing.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 7:52 am

just loving this trip report so far!! I love CX's HK milk tea!
Old Nov 30, 2012, 8:39 am

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
I once had my own cabin in business class from HKG to SIN on Cathay. The flight attendant also offered to take my picture -- I thought that was great. An acknowledgement that a lot of people really do enjoy a good flying experience.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA, CI, NH, JL, BA, SPG, Ritz, Amex Plat
I was also the only one in F from TPE to HKG back in July. I don't think they changed the wine list, but I enjoyed them, although I asked them to open 4 different new bottles so I could sample them
Old Dec 1, 2012, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Nice report so far and love your photos' quality.

Originally Posted by iceman77_7
Until this trip, my favorite overall lounge was the ANA NRT lounge, particularly for the free ice cream, sake bar/beer machine, and noodle bar. Although the F area of the Wing was under renovation (guess I'll have to come back), I loved the open air nature of the lounge and the multitude of food options was impressive. Freshly made pastries, Haagen-daz on demand, dim sum, extensive noodle bar menu (in contrast to the 3 choices at NRT)... It can only get better when the F area opens and the sit down restaurant area returns.
Wow, your standard is pretty low I guess.

NH lounge at NRT is ok, aside from cook-to-order noodle soup, overall the food option is pretty weak, so does NH F lounge, the food option good only compare to UA RCC at NRT. The ex-SQ lounge at NRT (closed since NH move to T1 and open their own lounge at T1) had a lot more food options and they don't even hide the ice-cream that you have to ask like at NH lounge (ex-SQ lounge also had Fauchon !). Even UA's RCC at HKG got more food options than NH lounge at NRT.

In the remote gate area, there's the usual seating area and boarding pass scanners, but you board a bus to the plane. The gate area was crowded, but there were agents checking the BPs of the first/business class line. Although I was initially bummed about the remote gate, I was excited about the great tarmac views.
Wow, CX using a remote gate at HKG ? This is almost unheard of !

While it is nice you can get good shots of the tramac view, the drawback is always if you have heavy carryons, you always have to carry it upstairs from the ground up to the plane on your own, no one would help you even you fly F, that's why I used to really hate connecting in NRT in the past before their T1's extension.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Dec 1, 2012 at 7:55 pm
Old Dec 2, 2012, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by snowymt
just loving this trip report so far!! I love CX's HK milk tea!
I'm a huge milk tea fan (as you'll see in my Taiwan segment) so this was a big perk.

Originally Posted by Yahtzee
I once had my own cabin in business class from HKG to SIN on Cathay. The flight attendant also offered to take my picture -- I thought that was great. An acknowledgement that a lot of people really do enjoy a good flying experience.
I think they got the vibe that I was a FTer, presenting the champagne for me to photograph, offering to photograph me, allowing me to photograph the cabin undisturbed.

Originally Posted by projecteva
I was also the only one in F from TPE to HKG back in July. I don't think they changed the wine list, but I enjoyed them, although I asked them to open 4 different new bottles so I could sample them
I should have thought of that!

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Nice report so far and love your photos' quality.

Wow, your standard is pretty low I guess.

NH lounge at NRT is ok, aside from cook-to-order noodle soup, overall the food option is pretty weak, so does NH F lounge, the food option good only compare to UA RCC at NRT. The ex-SQ lounge at NRT (closed since NH move to T1 and open their own lounge at T1) had a lot more food options and they don't even hide the ice-cream that you have to ask like at NH lounge (ex-SQ lounge also had Fauchon !). Even UA's RCC at HKG got more food options than NH lounge at NRT.

Wow, CX using a remote gate at HKG ? This is almost unheard of !

While it is nice you can get good shots of the tramac view, the drawback is always if you have heavy carryons, you always have to carry it upstairs from the ground up to the plane on your own, no one would help you even you fly F, that's why I used to really hate connecting in NRT in the past before their T1's extension.
I agree that the NH NRT lounge food options are sparse, but I'm a huge fan of made to order noodle soup. The best lounge food I've ever had was probably the CI lounge in SFO, amazing beef noodle soup.

I didn't have a heavy carry on (at least one that I couldn't manage on my own) so I didn't mind the remote gate.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Taiwan

My time was largely spent seeing family and eating. I'll spare you all the family photos, but instead post on just the more applicable food and transportation options.

My itinerary would have me in Taipei for a night, then down on the High Speed Rail to Kaohsiung for a couple nights before coming back up for three more nights. Unfortunately no hotels for me as I would be staying in my family's Taipei apartment or with family.

I would say the best part of Taiwan is the food. Some examples:

Potstickers

Popcorn chicken

Yellow watermelon! I love yellow watermelon and can't seem to find it here. Tastes almost identical to red watermelon except maybe a bit sweeter.

Taiwan beer

I also discovered this amazing fruit called Dragon fruit for the first time. It comes in two main varieties, demonstrated below. Be warned that the red version causes your urine to become red, so don't be considered if it looks like you have hematuria!

Fried pork chop

Beef noodle soup. Wasn't blown away by it, but not bad.

I took the high speed rail from Taipei down to Kaohsiung. If you haven’t ridden it before, it’s super fast and affordable. A 2 hour train ride from the north to south costing about US$30.
286 km/hr or 177 mph

Despite all the other good food, what I truly enjoy in Taiwan (aside from spending time with the family) is the boba milk tea. Whereas a small cup (approx. 16 oz) in the US is around $3, you can get a large (~24 oz) cup for less than $1. Always tastes better with higher quality boba too. Some people are wine/champagne connoisseurs, I’m a boba milk tea connoisseur (though I do enjoy a good glass of wine or champagne too).

First cup of boba milk tea, in Kaohsiung.

Second cup in Kaohsiung

Third cup, in Taipei (Danshui). I have to add that this was the absolute best cup of boba milk tea in my life. The milk tea was made absolutely perfect while the boba was just the right consistency. I discovered that this chain has some branches in the US, including one just a few miles from my house, but it was not even close to as good.

And a final one, because I was desperate the day before I left. The worst cup I had in Taiwan, but still much better than the stuff in the SF Bay Area.

After seeing family and gaining five pounds from all the food, it was time to leave. I soon found myself back at Taipei Taoyuan International Airport on my way home.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

TPE CX Lounge, CX F TPE-HKG, The Wing HKG

I approached the TPE CX F ticket counter was surprised to see a large family being checked-in there. I didn't think they were actually flying first, and as soon as an agent saw me waiting, immediately called me over to check me in. Check-in was quick and she made sure I knew how to get to the CX lounge once I got through security. The lounges in TPE terminal 1 are not conveniently located. I had never flown out of T1 before and was used to the nice T2. The T1 lounge was located down several corridors and up a slow moving elevator. Security was so fast that I barely had time to take off my jacket before the bin went through the conveyor. The baggage screener was so fast I don't even think he was looking at them. Amazing how overseas security is so painless. Eventually, I finally found my way to the lounge.

Lounge entrance (I love how CX always has a nice welcoming sign and cut-out)

The initial business class area was quite crowded. I had already eaten prior to getting to the airport and the food options weren't that impressive. I decided to head towards the first class area. One thing I noticed in all my CX lounge experience is that they never checked if you actually had F lounge access when you walk into the lounge. The F lounge was much less crowded, but small.

There was also a series of semi-private workstations where I settled in. Unfortunately, the guy in the cubicle next to me decided to have a loud prolonged business conversation on the phone. Everyone in the lounge could hear him easily. After completing his call, he then proceeded to burp loudly multiple times. Sheesh, show some class...

Cubicles

Boarding time soon arrived and I packed up my stuff and headed to the gate. As usual, there was quite a line in the first/business class queue. I know understand what people were complaining about when they said that CX should board F separately! Despite the fact I was probably 20th or so on board, I was easily the first one in F.

CX 401 TPE-HKG
November 18, 2012
7:30 PM-9:15 PM
Seat 3K
Load: 9/9

I was in seat 3K this time as the first two rows were taken when I booked my award. The first two rows were occupied by some celebrity family as they received an extra special welcome on board and were met by CX crew in HKG. They were also hussled through immigration there as well. Anyways, as I was on a 747-400 again, I will spare the cabin photos. I didn't notice much of a difference between 2K and 3K aside from the fact that the view of the cabin is slightly different. 2K feels a little more spacious as the aisle is wider there.

One nice feature of the seat is the mini closet that you can use to hang up clothes and store your smaller carry-ons.

I had my usual pre-flight champagne (or two) and we were on our way. With such a short flight, service began almost immediately after take-off.

Here's the menu
Dinner

Starter
Duck liver with scallop and pimento terrine with red wine pear and fig marmalade

Main Courses
Pan-fried chicken thigh with basil tomato sauce, vegetable rice and vegetable roll

Pan-fried salmon with sesame herb crust and tomato sauce, mashed potato with spinach, grilled zucchini, asparagus and carrot

Cheese ravioli with tomato concasse and Parmeasan

Dessert
Green tea cheese cake with vanilla sauce

Tea and Coffee
Starter

This was honestly quite nasty. Probably one of the worst appetizers I've ever had before. I know CX is trying to be fancy and all with this duck liver with scallop business, but seriously? It was horrible.

I opted for the chicken thigh dish.

Definitely nothing to write home about. I love chicken thigh much more than chicken breast because I think it's hard to mess up the flavor. That said, this was not a good dish. All in all, probably the worst CX F meal I had on my trip. I saw other TPE-HKG menus with steak so I was quite disappointed by the meal availability.

Dessert

It's tough to mess up dessert, but this dessert was also very bland. I almost always finish my dessert, but didn't because of all the good things I knew that would await me in the Wing.

I was the first one off the plane, though I didn't get the special VIP welcome that the family in rows 1 and 2 got. I'm also annoyed at myself that I didn't read the name on the sign that the CX ground crew member was holding to see who it was. Still kicking myself over that. I walked briskly towards transit security and was amused to see CX staff members literally running with this VIP family's luggage towards immigration. There was a short line for the equally painless security screening. I saw that my HKG-SFO flight would be leaving from Gate 4, which is right outside The Wing, so I settled back in the lounge. There was nothing different than my last visit, including the same waitress serving the F lounge area. However, I decided to check out the shower area.

I'm a huge fan of showering in airports. There's just something about showering on a layover and boarding a plane freshly showered that's just inherently cool to me. I was surprised at how small the shower rooms in The Wing were. Compared to the ones in the RCC or ANA lounge in NRT, these were tiny! When I put my luggage on the bench, there was hardly any room left to maneuver.

When I stepped in the shower, I only noticed the hand held shower head. I was shocked and jumped when I turned on the water and it came pouring down from above. Friendly PSA, the showers in the Wing lounge are waterfall! For the life of me, I could not figure out how to get water to come out from the handheld shower head. I consider myself to be a relatively smart guy and I fiddled with the knobs for five minutes without success. What am I supposed to do!?!?

After filling up on some light eats in The Wing, I made the short walk to Gate 4. Apparently you cannot bring liquids onto US bound flights so there was an annoying security screening of all passengers and luggage right at the gate area. They split into First/Business and Economy lines. The older couple in front of me were seated in economy and when they approached the screening agent, he directed them to the economy. As the couple walked away, the husband said a few words in Cantonese which I could not recognize and was surprised to see the agent run after them, apologize profusely and bring them back to the front of the line for screening. I wonder what he said...

I had flown only F on the 747 up to this point so I was looking forward to checking out 77W F.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, TK Elite, A3 Gold
Excellent trip report. I remember my first time in CX F and it is truly an amazing experience. Especially when you are used to flying legacy US carriers.

I was surprised at how small the shower rooms in The Wing were. Compared to the ones in the RCC or ANA lounge in NRT, these were tiny! When I put my luggage on the bench, there was hardly any room left to maneuver.
Reminds me a bit of the showers in the SilverKris Lounge in SIN. They are small, technically part of the bathroom and don't even have their own toilet. A bit disappointing for their flagship J lounge.

I have family in Taiwan as well and everytime I go back it is basically family + eating. Looks like you certainly had a good time with the eating part.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, FPC PLT, Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond
"When I stepped in the shower, I only noticed the hand held shower head. I was shocked and jumped when I turned on the water and it came pouring down from above. Friendly PSA, the showers in the Wing lounge are waterfall! For the life of me, I could not figure out how to get water to come out from the handheld shower head. I consider myself to be a relatively smart guy and I fiddled with the knobs for five minutes without success. What am I supposed to do!?!?"

+1 on this! The shower room is really small. It took me a while to figure out the rain shower/hand held shower switch. The rain shower was so strong while the drainag was so slow I almost had a flood there! The temporary First Class section of Wing is too close to renovation site and it's getting a bit too noisy. And they were still working at 8pm in the evening! Talk about hard working Hong Kongers!

We had a CX F RT form JFK-HKG-KUL also with a stopover in HKG last month.Got extra-extra serving on caviar - It came in a 5 pedal flower shape - probrably due to fact that my daughter and SO did not take any caviar during the flight.^^

Last edited by 1stClassFamily; Dec 6, 2012 at 12:45 am Reason: Adding photo
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:24 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by 1stClassFamily
The rain shower was so strong while the drainag was so slow I almost had a flood there!
Yes ! It floods everytime. I have to remember to move my carry on and shoes off the floor onto the bench or something before showering. After drying myself off, I need to use the (very nicely big) towel to dry up the floor.

Having said that, the rainforest water pressure is very impressive. And it works concurrently with the handheld shower, really is great. If I wasn't afriad the water would flood out into the hallways I could easily stay there for 30+ mins.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shogunate03
I have family in Taiwan as well and everytime I go back it is basically family + eating. Looks like you certainly had a good time with the eating part.
It was a week long eating fest! I'm used to the gluttony while in Taiwan, but add the food on the flights on top of that and it's a good thing the trip ended when it did!

Originally Posted by 1stClassFamily
"When I stepped in the shower, I only noticed the hand held shower head. I was shocked and jumped when I turned on the water and it came pouring down from above. Friendly PSA, the showers in the Wing lounge are waterfall! For the life of me, I could not figure out how to get water to come out from the handheld shower head. I consider myself to be a relatively smart guy and I fiddled with the knobs for five minutes without success. What am I supposed to do!?!?"

+1 on this! The shower room is really small. It took me a while to figure out the rain shower/hand held shower switch. The rain shower was so strong while the drainag was so slow I almost had a flood there! The temporary First Class section of Wing is too close to renovation site and it's getting a bit too noisy. And they were still working at 8pm in the evening! Talk about hard working Hong Kongers!

We had a CX F RT form JFK-HKG-KUL also with a stopover in HKG last month.Got extra-extra serving on caviar - It came in a 5 pedal flower shape - probrably due to fact that my daughter and SO did not take any caviar during the flight.^^
Wait so, how do you get the hand held shower to work? I thought it had something to do with the far left knob, but no matter how I manipulated it, it didn't work. I assume it was broken...

That caviar arrangement looks pretty. Would prefer the smoked salmon to look that way too!

Originally Posted by marcuslai
Yes ! It floods everytime. I have to remember to move my carry on and shoes off the floor onto the bench or something before showering. After drying myself off, I need to use the (very nicely big) towel to dry up the floor.

Having said that, the rainforest water pressure is very impressive. And it works concurrently with the handheld shower, really is great. If I wasn't afriad the water would flood out into the hallways I could easily stay there for 30+ mins.
It also doesn't help that it's a half glass door that doesn't cover the whole shower area. I've noticed a lot of hotels doing that too. Never really understood why...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.