Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

From the UK to the Falkland Islands with the Royal Air Force

From the UK to the Falkland Islands with the Royal Air Force

Old Nov 22, 12, 10:39 pm

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
Excellent post, it's been a while since I visited the Falklands, and would really like to do this flight and check out the Ascension Islands, just out of curiosity.
Old Nov 23, 12, 3:41 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
This was an interesting post. Thanks for sharing. Nice to see unique reports like this.
Old Nov 24, 12, 1:03 am

Really liked your report. Thanks for sharing. Any photos of the thunderstorm? I have seen some really big ones while flying in the South China Sea, they get a little creepy for me if they get too close.
Old Nov 24, 12, 6:24 am

Programs: SQ - KrisFlyer
Thanks for the report. I have flown this route a few times myself. Have Titan lost the contract for this route? They used to run it with a 767.
Old Oct 11, 18, 2:31 am

I did it non-stop

Hi

Nice article - brought back some memories for me.

I googled before posting reply, but couldn't are anything related to my comment.....

I was on the first TriStar in Dec 1987 that flew non-stop Mount Pleasant-Brize Norton - 17 hours. I had gone via Ascension on the way down (can't recall whether VC10 or TriStar).
I had v bad jetlag on the return. Coming back straight into Leave/Christmas break, I subsequently met up with a friend in the New Year and after asking him how his Boxing Day went he told me "I was at your house" ! :-o

Here's a fun fact.... the mountain range that runs parallel to that occupied by Mount Pleasant is called Mount Misery. It's claimed that it's valley is just a couple of metres shorter than Mount Pleasant valley and that is the reason MODs architects chose MPA over it, but most people think that MOD intervened and said We Can't Have an RAF station called Mount Misery!I
Old Oct 11, 18, 9:47 am

Programs: BA Gold AVIS Presidents Club
Thanks for posting.Took me back 30 years! Flew on a Tristar down to Wideawake whilst serving back in the day .......Jun 88 courtesy of the RAF - just to go fishing ... and got paid, plus allowances for being on duty! There were 6 of us in the Team matched against 6 from Ascension island for the annual piss up / official fish off ( one senior officer required on the team for Top Cover by the way- Air Commodore rank sufficed that year). As one of only 3 officers on the team I think I got preferential seating but really cant remember. Struck up a conversation with a fellow pax who appeared a bit sulky at the thought of 6 months away from home Down South. He asked what I was doing (me ATC SPEC) and how long I would be be away from home ... about 10 days I said and its a fishing trip ! If looks of envy could kill!! Word spread and I think we were the least popular pax for the next 8 hrs!
Flew back with the worlds largest esky - about 2 metres square - full of fresh Tuna and Wahoo by the way! Much to the amusement of Brize Norton customs ( who were give a few samples I think).
Happy days . Plan to return one day.
Just realised that the original post was 6 years ago.. Tempus Flugit!
OF

Last edited by OldFruity; Oct 11, 18 at 9:54 am
Old Oct 11, 18, 3:33 pm

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, Aegean silver, Umbi Umbi classic
I also see it's an old TR - but what a fun read it was! As are some of the comments by others who served on military duty!

Does anyone perhaps know if such flights can still be booked as a civilian passenger, and if so, where I have to inquire? I would be very tempted (be it to the Falklands or another faraway overseas station).
Old Oct 12, 18, 3:12 am

Programs: BA EC
I remember climbing off the Tristar to the welcoming tones of "Always look on the bright side of life" as I began my 4 month deployment.
Memories of Letsby Avenue, the FILF, Bimble boxes and Bimble Wagons, ordering beer by the colour of the cans!
Old Oct 12, 18, 9:52 am

Programs: AA Platinum - 1MM
Originally Posted by Romanianflyer View Post
I also see it's an old TR - but what a fun read it was! As are some of the comments by others who served on military duty!

Does anyone perhaps know if such flights can still be booked as a civilian passenger, and if so, where I have to inquire? I would be very tempted (be it to the Falklands or another faraway overseas station).
Yes: https://www.falklands.gov.fk/our-home/visit-us/
I was there earlier this year; but flew in on the LATAM flight from Punta Arenas in Chile (hopped on a ship in the Falkland Islands and headed south to Antarctica).
Old Oct 25, 18, 7:04 pm

Programs: IB , BA , AA , AV
Interesting stuff . One of the new Argie low costs , Flybondi , has applied to fly ex Bs As to Falklands - Will be great for us UK nationals livng in enemy territory...
Old Oct 28, 18, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Ah, the nostalgia! My 1983 'summer' holiday at RAF Stanley involved VC10 to ASI, then SS Uganda to Port Stanley. The return, 4 months later, was C-130 to ASI and then VC10 to BZZ.

I still remember the thrill of seeing my flight home, carrying my successor who would receive a high-speed handover, approaching on 3 engines. Mercifully it was quickly restored to normal service, and we/kit/freight squeezed in to assorted confined spaces for the long drone back to ASI.

I have a very poor photo of the embryo Mount Pleasant taken from the air. Two surveyor's wheel tracks through the soggy terrain!