Wiki Posts
Search

100 days & 500 photos: my oneworld DONE3 Adventures

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by quirrow
Nice report of oneworld's DONE product, I did a Circle Pacific 2 years ago and your report brings back many memories of my own trip.

Your photo does not seem to show CX's Cirrus seats though... Must be something wrong in the link...
Sorry that I missed a shot of the Cirrus seat. Don't think it was a missing link, but I will check. Sometimes I settled down on the seat too quickly and messed it up before any photos were taken.

When in fully "bed mode", the seat was truly flat and I slept well in it.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:17 am
Original Poster

100-days & 500-photos: my oneworld DONE3 Adventures

Part 5

DFW-ANC
AA279 F in F 757.
Seats: 4E & 4F
This marked our first trip to Alaska. So excited beyond words. We were also looking forward to some cooler temperature up north. On board this flight, we encountered 2 extremely friendly FAs in the first class cabin (almost full). They frequently initiated conversation. They addressed us by Mr. Allset & Mrs. Allset (later used first names by our request). One of them even showed us her photo album of Alaska. During the summer season, she worked on this flight. According to her, when in ANC, she had 25 hours layover time before flying back to DFW. She apparently did a lot of day trips from ANC. She recommended a few places for good eats and sightseeing. These 2 FAs remained on my BEST AA FAs list. They offered to have their silly moose-masked faces photographed. I am hesitant if I should post it in this report. Hope it is alright to do so.
The other bonus found on this day-time flight was the view of the glaciers. I did some homework prior, and I picked a window seat on the right side of the aircraft. I didn’t know the glacier names, but share couple images here just the same (from my collection of 60).
Upon arrival, the temperature in Anchorage was 48F with cloudy skies. Brrrrr! Put on a jacket, and we were fine.

Window seat and the earth below:

Alaska – unknown glacier

Alaska – unknown glacier

Alaska – unknown glacier

Alaska – unknown glacier

A synopsis of 1 week in Alaska. Rented a car and spent the first night in Anchorage (SpringHill Suites, University Lake). I met the most friendly front desk staff of all SpringHills that I stayed in. She told me it was her first time to have met a Lifetime Platinum guest. She gave me a “coupon” that offered me to free snack/drinks from the Market any time during my stay, in addition to the normal platinum “welcome gift”. I don’t stay in SpringHills often. This time I needed to burn a couple of Cat 4 eCerts. This place was the only Cat 4 Marriott property in all of Anchorage (sadly it had been elevated to Cat 5 since this year; maybe due to my raving review?).
The room was fine with view of the lake and faraway mountains. When we checked out, another staff gave us a snack bag to go! How about that for customer service! “We will be back”, I told her.

The drive to Seward: Did not know what to expect despite all the research here in the Alaska forum and elsewhere on the web. Gusty wind (figured it be around 40 mph), cloudy skies and occasional rain set the stage for this long drive to Seward. Nonetheless, the scenery along the way was awesome! We took our time, making many stops for photo-shoot. It was getting dark by the time we pulled in to the B&B in north Seward. After off-loading the luggage, we headed out to Salmon Bake for dinner. This funky & woodsy place served up some great local fares.

Alaska – on the road to Seward

Seward – Salmon Bake Restaurant sign

Seward – dinner at Salmon Bake

Seward – dinner at Salmon Bake

Next day Exit Glacier: All night long it non-stop raining. There was no break this morning. After a hearty breakfast, we drove up to the visitor center of Exit Glacier. While in the parking lot, we sat inside the car, wondering if the rain was ever going to subside. After a few minutes, we went inside the visitor center and read info about this park. Then we headed straight toward the glacier when we saw a slight break in the weather. The wind was still gusty and it was cold. We saw only 5 people on the long hike to Exit Glacier. Bad weather or not, seeing the glacier up close was a fantastic experience.

Seward – Exit Glacier

Seward – Exit Glacier

Seward – Exit Glacier

Seward – the marina

Up next Part 5A
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Part 5A

Comfort food craving. By now, we looked forward to a nice warm café with some comfort food! We knew just the place. Short time later, we were at Ray’s Waterfront, sat in a window table facing the marina.

Seward – this is Ray’s

Seward – from the window of Ray’s

After lunch we took a walk in the marina and checked out various boats and yachts. We then drove south past downtown Seward along the waterfront toward Miller’s Landing. Along the way, we saw this wild thundering waterfall.

Seward – the marina

Seward – the marina

Seward – overflowing waterfall

Near Miller’s Landing

We drove all the way to the east side of the bay via Nash Road, and stopped by the dry dock (I think it is named Seward Marine Industrial Center). We found it fascinating as a photo-op. The miserable weather actually added a third dimension to some shots.

The drive to Talkeetna: After 2 days, it was time to head north all the way to Talkeetna. This morning the sun was bright and skies blue. According to plan, we had a long drive north to Talkeetna. Now this long journey would be even longer because we wanted to back track to Exit Glacier and see it again under the bright sun. So we drove south to as far as the river and viewed it at a distance. Simply gorgeous!

Seward – Exit Glacier from afar, on a good day

The drive to Talkeetna was long, but not boring. We stopped for lunch in downtown Anchorage (more king crab legs). Bought supplies in Wasilla and made a visit to the Iditarod Trail Race Headquarters. We made it to our B&B in Talkeetna way before sundown. From the balcony of our room, we could see the Alaska Mountain Ranges far far away. Walked around the “historic” area of Talkeetna, dined, before calling it a night.

Alaska – on the road, café in Girwood

Alaska – on the road

Alaska – on the road

Talkeetna – from B&B balcony

Talkeetna – from B&B balcony

Talkeetna – one of the rivers

The drive to Healy: Next morning during breakfast, the owner and chef told us that this drive from Talkeetna to Healy would be scenic. We had no idea that it offered such diversity in landscape, topology and colors. We stopped often and our camera shutters got a good workout.

Alaska – on the road (Talkeetna to Healy)

Up next Part 5B
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:54 am
Original Poster

Part 5B

Denali National Park: Being our first trip to Alaska and Denali National Park, we were stunned by the beauty of it all. No adjective is good enough to describe this vast natural wonder. I will let these images (albeit inadequate) to speak for themselves. What was really amazing was that we were blessed with witnessing Mount McKinley being OUT and a brown bear walking between it and my camera. Saw both for less than 5 second from the shuttle bus before the bus turned (note: the bus driver wanted to provide equal opportunity for viewers on both sides of bus to see the mountain and the bear, he drove in a S curve slowly, and at a distance from the bear). That morning, as we pulled out of the B&B’s parking lot, it was raining with totally dark skies. We did not think McKinley would be OUT at all today. In the 2 days that we were in the park, we saw all kinds of wildlife.

Alaska – Denali National Park

Alaska – Denali National Park (McKinley & bear)

Anchorage: Today, we returned to Anchorage for 1 night. Again we stayed at the SpringHills University Lake to burn off another eCert. This stay was as good as the last one. This evening, we dined at the Suite 100. Excellent food and hospitality. My eyes popped wide open when I saw the size of the king crab legs. Next morning, we took a stroll in downtown Anchorage, the All American City. Since our flight was in the evening, we had plenty of time to explore other parts of the city. Unfortunately the heavy rain was relentless.

Anchorage - dinner

Anchorage - dinner

Anchorage - downtown

Anchorage - downtown

Anchorage - downtown

Next on the agenda is to fly ANC-xDFW-xORD-LAX (originally was ANC-xORD-LAX)
As noted earlier, this original itinerary of ANC-xORD-LAX was changed to ANC-xDFW-xORD-LAX by AA. The body would rather fly less, but my AA account will be fattened by 999 more miles (according to MileCalc) before bonus. Yeah.!

Up next Part 5C
Old Sep 16, 2012, 1:02 am
Original Poster

Part 5C

ANC-xDFW
AA278 F 757
Seats: 3E & 3F
This flight was rather uneventful. The 2 FAs were friendly and served a delicious dinner. Cereal was served before arrival at DFW. Slept only an hour or so, not enough to keep me awake when in DFW.

AA278 – dinner up in the air, delicious!

DFW-xORD
AA2324 F MD80
Seats: 5A & 5B
This was another short flight, and that was a good thing. A breakfast was served with cereal and a banana.

AA2324 up in the air with breakfast

ORD-LAX
AA455 F 763
Seats: 5H & 5J
We enjoyed this leg on a 763 rather than 738. On board service was nothing fancy. We both had chicken Caesar salad, hummus and potato chips. I found AA food to be good and consistant on many flights.

AA455 up in the air with breakfast

Los Angeles: At this point, we took another pause from the RTW and went home to SFO to attend a wedding. We stayed home for quite a while before coming back to LAX to resume the RTW. While in Los Angeles, we stayed for a couple of nights at the Crowne Plaza LAX (pricelined). This gave us an opportunity to catch up with some family and friends.

Home sweet home again! A good break from RTW again!

Now fast forward. Here we were, back in Los Angeles to resume the remainder of the DONE3. The balance of the itinerary looks like this: LAX-xORD-FCO-HEL-xLHR-DXB.

Up next Part 6
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:20 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Alaska really is beautiful... How much was the king crab dinner?
Old Sep 16, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Nice report!

Next time you stay in DFW, try the Renaissance Dallas. I found that hotel to be the best one amongst the lot of Marriott properties there.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Alaska really is beautiful... How much was the king crab dinner?
We had several king crab leg meals in different locations. I recall they were usually between $30 to $40. Not bad, for the quality and quantity that they served.

As you said, Alaska is very beautiful. I am planning a re-visit next summer.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fieldeng
Nice report!
Thanks.

Originally Posted by fieldeng
Next time you stay in DFW, try the Renaissance Dallas. I found that hotel to be the best one amongst the lot of Marriott properties there.
I had stayed at the Ren before. It is a nicer property than MR City Center. We wanted to see how Dallas downtown looked like, hence decided to stay there.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by allset2travel

Went over to the King Fisher lounge (the lounge was still there then, but reportedly had vanished now). We were refused entry. Didn’t bother to ask why (ow Saphire, next flight out on CX to HKG in J not qualified?), c’mon!
Kingfisher isn't a OW airline, so you actually don't have any right to enter the lounge.

Great photos btw, enjoying the report!

Last edited by Sahcurity; Sep 16, 2012 at 9:08 pm
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Part 6

LAX-xORD
AA1220, F 763
Seats: 5A & 5B
The weather in LA was very stormy this morning as was all night last night. I was concerned about possible flight delay. An airline pilot on the same airport-shuttle bus assured me not to worry. Take-off in this kind of weather would be ok, unlike landing.
In T4, TSA check was smooth and fast, contrary to my prior experience. Boarding was at Gate 49A. While on board, lunch service was late in coming. There were no pre-flight drinks offered. It was quite a while after take-off before warm nuts and drinks were even served. I enjoyed the caesar salad with chicken.

Window seat - Stormy morning in LAX

AA1220 up in the air chicken caesar salad

While in ORD, we went to the AC where CSR reprinted our BPs. Had a cold drink and rested before the next long flight to Rome, Italy.

ORD-FCO
AA110, J, 763
Seats: 6H & 6J
AA110 ORD-FCO departed from Gate K15. Onboard D-class service was very late in coming again. At last, FA finally handed out amenity kit. Samsung Galaxy AVOD was real clunky and slow. Entertainment choices were seriously limited. I left it off for the rest of the trip. I found the chair worked fine for me even though it did not go 100% flat. Food service was fine. Dinner included smoked salmon & marinated shrimp as appetizer; a green salad; assorted breads; 4 choices for main course: beef fillet, lemon grass chicken, Rosemary garlic shrimp, and four cheese raviol. A full breakfast was served prior to arrival. We arrived at FCO on time next morning. Luggage was among the first to come out. There was no official immigration formality other than a brief look at the passport. No stamp.

AA110 up in the air service

Walked over to the car rental center and picked up a Mercedes C Class and off we drove to Pienza, Toscana. Fortunately traffic on the ring road was not bad. The 2.5 hour drive was painless & easy. We made it there without any stop. By the time we arrived at Pienza, it was time for lunch before the restaurants closed for the afternoon. We had just the restaurant in mind. Sitting in the shade in an outdoor patio, under the Tuscan sun (sorry, may I borrow that from the movie?), we couldn’t help to reflect. Well, today marked the beginning of a month long tour of Italy.

Pienza – Our first meal in Italy this trip

Pienza – bruschetta al pomodoro

Pienza – 3 grilled meats in truffle cream sauce

Here is a synopsis of the 30-day Italian adventure
· Commenced the trip from FCO to Pienza (stayed in a Pienza)
· Drove and hiked around Val d’Orcia area hilltowns and side roads
· Drove Chianti wine road to Firenze (stayed in Firenze)
· Drove to Cinque Terre, with stops at Lucca & Pisa. (stay in La Spezia)
· Do Cinque Terre day-trip by train from La Spezia
· Continued north to Milano, with stops at S. Margherita & Portofino (stayed in Milano)
· Drove to Bellagio with stop in Como (stayed in Bellagio)
· Toured the lakes daily by commuter ferry, hop-on & hop-off at will.
· Drove cross country west-east direction to Padua, with stops at Verona & Vicenza. (stayed in Padua).
· Took daily trips to Venezia by train from Padua.
· Drove to Bologna (stayed in bologna).
· Drove to Orvieto, Umbria (stayed in Orvieto). Aborted original plan of stopping in some wine regions along the way, due to foul weather & traffic.
· Drove to FCO and return car. Taxi from FCO to Courtyard Central Park Roma. (stayed in Roma)
· Did Roma slowly for 7 full days
· On day of departure from Roma, hired private limo to FCO. Flew to HEL.

Italy – where did we go? (hope this map helps)

Val d’Orcia area: See map. We really loved this region of Toscana and decided to return for a more in depth visit, and in a different season of the year. For 4 days, we covered (in no particular order) San Quirico d’Orcia, Torrenieri, Montalciano, Monte Amiata, Poggio Rosa, Casttiglione d’Orcia, Rocca d’Orcia, Gallina, Monticchiello and Montepulciano (not shown in map). Did I missed Asciano? No way. To see these hill towns, one needs a car. If you enjoy country side scenery, wine tasting, good eats and friendly people, this area is highly recommended. You must start your day really early to catch the “mood” of this region of Toscana. We came here for all of the above and one thing more, photography. Our base here was a small hill town named Pienza. Nice little village with a couple of good restaurants and a view that wouldn’t quit.

Val d'Orcia area map

Next morning, around 6:00, I grabbed my camera bag without tripod and went outside. It was misty and somewhat foggy. Condition perfect!

Pienza – early morning view from B&B

Combing the countryside of Val d’Orcia

Pienza – and vacinity

Pienza – and vacinity

Val d’Orcia countryside

Val d’Orcia countryside

Val d’Orcia countryside

The famed Brunello di Montalcino wine

Up next Part 6A
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Part 6A

More images from Val d’Orcia area

The vineyards & olive groves - view from Sant Antimo Abbey

Montepulciano – largest hilltown in Toscana

Pienza – countryside nearby

Pienza – countryside nearby

Day-trip: to San Gimignano & then worked our way back to Monteriggiani and Siena. Even during off-season, San Gimignano was wall-to-wall tourists. Parking lots were bursting at their seams. After a lunch of salad and pizza, we drove outside of San Gimignano looking for a spot to make that “classic San Gimignano” shot that covers the entire hill town skyline (showing maximum number of the towers). I had no clue as to where that vantage point was located. We kept on driving around, looking for a high point toward Bosco Tondo. Finally found a spot through the ranches of the road side trees, by accident. It was so windy there that I had a hard time holding steady my camera with a long lens and no tripod.

San Gimignano – and all its glorious towers

San Gimignano – nearby hilltop villas

Next stop Siena. Siena was more peaceful. We revisited a couple of major sights, Piazza del Campo & the Duomo.

Siena – the Torre del Magia in Piazza del Campo

Siena – the Duomo from a distance

Siena – work of art (front view of Duomo)

Siena – moonlit skyline

Siena

Back in Pienza. We ended this long day (but fun) with a well-deserved dinner in Pienza. Boy, these Italians sure eat their dinner late. By 21:00, we came by the Buccas and waited 20 minutes to get a table. It was all worth the wait. Here are 2 samples of what we indulged that night.

Pienza - dinner at Baccus Osteria

Chiantigiana, the Chianti Wine Road. Today, after breakfast, we said “ciao” and “grazie mille” to our friendly B&B lady owner . We were on a one-way trip from Pienza to Firenze, via the Wine Road (aka Chiantigiana, the SS222). We made a series of stops and short detours along the way to taste wine, take breaks in cafés, take in the vineyard views, and hike the hill towns etc. We did almost the same itinerary few years ago. We enjoyed it then and even more this time. Notable destinations were the following:
· Barone Ricasoli Winery in Gaiole in Chianti for wine tasting and touring of celler. The castle is worth visiting too.
· Radda in Chianti
· Castellina in Chianti
· Panzano
· Montefionalle
· Greve in Chianti

Gaiole in Chianti - Castello de Brolio

Gaiole in Chianti - garden in Castello de Brolio

Vineyards along Chiantigiana

Radda in Chianti – street scene

Radda in Chianti – street art

Greve in Chianti – market town

Somehow, cappuccino tasted wonderfully better when you were sitting in an outdoor café in Greve-in-Chianti. This wine-town/market-town was humming with traffic. Restaurants seemed busy in early evening. From here it was only a short drive to our next hotel in Firenze.

Up next Part 6B
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Part 6B

Firenze. We stayed at the Sheraton Firenze Hotel & Conference Center. Most reviews in the Starwood forum and elsewhere dismissed this place as being too far from the tourist center. In fact, this is exactly the kind of place I like. Why, just because: room rates are more reasonable compared to city center hotels; parking is free; much larger room and elite-platinum amenities. Being just off the motorway on the south side of city makes access very easy. Complimentary hotel shuttle to the train station (we always got off on the south bank of the Arno) ran several times daily. In the evening we took the shuttle from the train station back to the hotel (on nights when we decided to linger in town, we took a cab). So it was very convenient. Firenze is small, we covered all major sights on foot, including south of the Arno. Off season not withstanding, Firenze was overflowed with tourists. The market became a out-right tourist trap. Hard to imagine what it was like in high season. After 3 days, we had no regret to leave.

Firenze – ponte vecchio in early morning

Firenze – ponte vecchio in early morning

Firenze – workout on the Arno

Firenze – archway along Lugano della Grazie

Firenze – Uffizi Galleries

Firenze – Duomo and cathedral tower

Firenze – golden carving on the portal at Baptistery

Firenze – Basilica Santa Croce

Firenze – Reflection on the Arno

Firenze –Arno at sunset

Firenze – Mercado di san Lorenzo

Today, we drove from Firenze to La Spezia with stops in Lucca and Pisa. We did this route before, but still loved to relive it again.

Lucca – After parking the car outside the city wall, we took a nice walk on the wall. We had wanted to say hello to a violin maker whom we met during our last visit. Everything is still done by hand.
Enjoyed a terrific lunch in the courtyard of Ristorante Ammodonostro. This place opened quite late in the afternoon. We were afraid at 14:30, we might not find any place open. We chose a table in the inner courtyard, fully shaded by tress and a market umbrella. The lunch was memorable. We chatted a bit with an Aussie couple, exchanging travel stories (what else?). Time flew by quickly, we must leave for Pisa for that late afternoon photo-ops at the Piazza dei Miracoli.

Lucca - museum

Lucca - windows

Lucca – San Michele

Lucca – Duomo di San Martino

Pisa – The short drive brought us straight to the Piazza dei Miracoli (the Batistero di San iovanni, Dom zu Pisa and the Leaning Tower). I knew parking would be difficult here. Prior research paid off. We found parking (€3) easily at a gas station right across the street. Hang out here and walked in circles a few times. The weather was perfect. Kind of fun to people-watch.

Pisa – Battistero di San Giovani

Pisa – Dom Zu Pisa

Pisa – Portal Dom Zu Pisa

Pisa – leaning tower

Up next Part 6C
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Part 6C

La Spezia. By early evening, we pulled into the hotel parking lot and checked in to the NH Hotel. This hotel seriously needed a renovation. Last time we stayed here was 7 years ago. At that time, I recalled not precisely if it was called by a different name (Jolly?). We had a harbor view room then, as was this time. Breakfast was good (simply loved the cappuccino) and service lacking. This would serve as our base for day trips to Cinque Terre. La Spezia, although not a tourist town, yet has some great restaurants. This combination works real well for us.

Cinque Terre: We took the train back and forth (left the car in parking lot). The train trip was very convenient and inexpensive (recall day pass was €10). Hop-on-off by train!
Before the train, there was a bus that took us from near the hotel to the train station.

Just loved these colorful villages. The trails linking villages were quite popular with all visitors, particularly the link between Riomaggiore and Manarola. I remember this trail used to be pretty rough. Now it is all paved and easy to walk on.
Our favorite restaurant is still there, run by the same owner as was several years ago. It is La Lanterna in Riomaggiore. From the window, you can see the fishing boats in the cove (either in or out of the water). Seafood and pasta were superb here.

Riomaggiore – favorite trattoria La Lanterna

Riomaggiore – fron the window of La Lanterna

Cinque Terre – Monterosso al mere

Cinque Terre – Vernazza

Cinque Terre – Vernazza

Cinque Terre – Riomaggiore

Cinque Terre – Railways linking the villages

Cinque Terre – Monarola

Cinque Terre – Tunnel linking the villages

After hiking and touring of the villages, we returned to La Spezia and did dinner. I recalled that there was a pedestrian street that was dotted with restaurants, within walking distance from the train station. We hoped to get some good eats there. By now, the weather had turned sour (high wind and heavy rain) suddenly it caught us totally unprepared (it was a gorgeous day in Cinque Terre). Without umbrella, and no warm jacket, I braved the elements in shorts and t-shirt. Fortunately, the walk was short and we entered an empty restaurant. Apparently the place was just open, even the chef (whom we fondly called her grandma) didn’t come in until 10 minutes later. We ordered the special of the day. Long story short, everything was simply superb. The antipasto from the buffet, the primo of pasta and the secondo of cozza. (mussels), and lots of it.

La Spezia - Dinner

La Spezia - Dinner

La Spezia - Dinner

La Spezia - Dinner

On the road to Milano. While heading north, we swung by Santa Margherita and Portofino. Both are great and colorful destinations (wish we had more time). Things are super expensive, from parking to food. Roads are narrow. After these two seaside towns, the rest of the drive to Milano was somewhat boring and un-eventful. There were places where we could have stopped, but we didn’t as we were anxious to get into Milano and do the city at night. We had a straight shot on the motorway to our next hotel, the Sheraton MXP. The drive was easy enough.

Santa Margherita

Portofino

At the Sheraton MXP, we were being treated well with nice upgrade. Room was modern and large, a couple of notches above an average Sheraton.

Daily, we commuted to the city center by Airport Express train. It was convenient, fast and easy. We were blessed with gorgeous weather. Among other things, we wanted to see the “Last Supper”. Last time, a few years back, it was being restored while we were there. This time we saw this master piece in its entirety. We walked into the museum ticket office in the morning, reserved a time for that afternoon. No need for advanced booking.

The renovated Castello Sforzesco was grand. Didn’t go inside the museum, just walked around the ground. From the Castello, we took a slow walk on Via Dante to the Duomo on a gorgeous sunny day. Fantastic! The Duomo was clear of scaffolding! What a miracle!

Milano – Malpensa Express

Milano - Duomo

Milano – Galleria Victorio Emanuele

Milano – Santa Maria della Grazie

Milano – via Dante

For cappuccino and croissant (the best of the best, MHO), we went to Marcchesi, an over 100 years old establishment. A local couple insisted that we try it. We did and the cappuccino and croissant were excellent and cheap. Be prepared for shoulder-to-shoulder people though. Hey, but that was part of the fun!

Up next Part 6D
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Part 6D

Lago Como & Bellagio.
The drive to Como was fast but from Como to Bellagio was a bit unnerving. This long stretch of the road was narrow with many hair-pin turns.
The weather did not cooperate during our entire stay, as it was hazy, cloudy and cold. It persisted until the morning we were getting ready to depart, the sun came out in its full glory. At that time the lake and mountains were showing their best. Our B&B was on up the hill above Bellagio. The view from here was fantastic, if and when it was clear.

While here in the lake region, every day we bought a day pass type ticket for the commuter ferries and simply hop from village to village. We enjoyed some good food (although not inexpensive) in several smaller towns. I particularly loved the seafood pizza.in Leno. Leno had a nice market along the edge of Lago Como, just about everything was sold here.

Lake region - Varenna

Lake region - Varenna

Lake region - Bellagio

Lake region - Bellagio

Lake region – villa del Balbianello, Leno

Lake region – Parrocchio san Lorenzo

Lake region – Grand Hotel Tremezzo

Driving through Veneto. This was sort of a cross country day by driving through Veneto from west to east. We made brief stops at Verona and Vicenza on the way to Padua, our next base. The rain persisted in Verona, but turned cloudy in Vicenza.

Verona –the arena

Vicenza – iron gate

Padua. We made this our base city for day trips to Venezia. AC Hotel Padua (by Marriott) provided bed and breakfast. The room was modern with typical amenities for the business traveler. I paid less than 50% of a lousy 3-star hotel in Venezia. It threw in free parking. If you detect a pattern, you’d be right. We tried to avoid city center hotels where possible, and learned how to use public transportation to sight-see (despite the fact we had a car at our disposal).

Padua

Padua

Padua Station

Venezia. We left our car here with the AC Hotel Padua and took the train to Venezia daily. To go to Venezia, we first took a bus from our hotel to the train station (about 15 minutes). The train took another 30 minutes to Venezia. So this process was painless.

Venezia is best seen on foot. We walked everywhere, including many off-the-beaten-path neighborhoods. We discovered dozen new churches and piazzas that we had not seen before.. Venezia is unique and we love it. This time, we were fortunate that it was not flooded or smelly.

Venezia

Venezia

Venezia

Venezia

Venezia

Venezia

Venezia

Venezia

Up next Part 6E

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.