Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Flyertalk's Palest Gringo Goes to Santo Domingo (CM Y/UA Y)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2012, 11:51 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

Background
Welcome one and all to another CMK10 Trip Report! This time I'm off to Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic which would be only my second Caribbean trip (the first was to San Juan which is basically Florida South anyway). Why Santo Domingo? It's okay if you're asking that, many people have. My answer is...why not? Labor Day is one of only five paid holidays I get (can you believe that? Ugh, the man is always trying to keep me down!) and I didn't want to be home for it. Also, I had a few United miles and they're quite generous about Saver Award availability to the Caribbean. Sadly, SXM was out but I figured SDQ would net me a new country and has a lot of historical sights to see. And, as the proud owner of a Bachelors in History, this would kind of feel like I was using it! Finally, I saw that the Hilton was cheaper than a T.O.D. Upgrade for my visit there so why not visit the D.R. Indeed? The logistics were:

Saturday September 1: United RDU-IAH-PTY, Copa PTY-SDQ.
Monday September 3: Copa SDQ-PTY-ORD
Tuesday September 4: United ORD-RDU

A tough routing to handle in all coach, but then again, I am a FLYERTALK EVANGELIST and there are very few things I can't handle. Except for volleyball, man am I TERRIBLE at volleyball. But moving on, the trip will feature all the usual CMK10 stuff, humor, sunset pictures, run-on sentences and random asides, and of course, meal pictures.

UA 4268 RDU-IAH ERJ-145 0550-0749

I've long amused myself by saying “there are only two reasons to wake up early, women and travel”. Though, when the alarms DO go off at 4 AM...it's hard to be happy if either one of them is involved. Still, new countries won't see themselves so up I was. Plus, being up this early especially on a Saturday meant I made every traffic light, US 70 was deserted and I even got a whole Preflight Parking Shuttle bus to myself!

RDU was surprisingly crowded and the agent who checked my bag even added “every flight is oversold”. Sadly, mine was only fake oversold where the UA kiosk offers you a bump but they don't really need you for one. I swear the people in that airline's IT department are sadists.

Speaking of RDU, what a stupid slogan

Woo I'm going internationally! Also...world's largest exclamation mark? Maybe.

As a Star Gold flying internationally, I figured I'd head up to the olde US Airways Club for a bagel and a laugh or two but I was rudely greeted by closed doors due to the fact that they don't open at 6 AM. Ohhhh so they think that Mr. CMK10 himself is going to go loungeless do they? Not on your life!

Thanks, RDU Skyclub! You've saved me again. Though I always feel guilty using the lounge of the airline I'm not flying that day.

I've always been happy with the DL breakfast options too. Though the quality of the oatmeal always varies based on how much water they add.

Seriously, an ER4 for a 1,000+ mile route? Lame lame lame!

Another perk to it being Saturday, no wait to takeoff. I must say though, for a regional jet this flight was equipped with a very good flight attendant. She did at least two beverage runs (I slept for most of the flight so I'm not sure) and was surprisingly friendly. As we were disembarking in Houston she offered to look up a passenger's connection on her own phone.

I love landing early, especially when you have a short connection AND a checked bag. Plus, the best thing you can say about a flight in coach in the US these days is “I slept the whole way”.

Old Sep 6, 2012, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
UA 1032 IAH-PTY 737-800 0843-1251

Blech, I'm in the B Concourse, and not just any part of the B Concourse, but the awful temporary part of it. I actually like transiting IAH because it's usually hassle free, but when I end up here I like it far less.

I still find it weird seeing so many Airbus aircraft here in Houston, I still picture it as it was from the CO days with 737s and nothing but 737s. Still, I've heard they're going to do a daring trade with Denver for all of their Airbuses for all the IAH 737s. Plus a player to be named later and a first round draft pick.

Safely in Concourse E! Today would be my first time actually flying an international flight from it, always a treat.

Whoa! That is one crowded United Club! Must have been the long weekend because I doubt this place is usually quite so full at 8 AM on a Saturday.

A rare piece of decent spotting at IAH. Seriously, it's tied with DFW for most boring place to watch planes.

I've decided I prefer UA's cold cereal selections to DL's hot oatmeal. After a bowl of delicious Rice Krispies, I met up with Flyertalk's own Email Kid who was on his way to SJO. We had an enjoyable 20 minute talk that sadly had to end soon as I had a plane to catch far earlier than he did.

I don't know how I feel about narrowbodies on international flights, but as this is a fairly short route it's not too bad I guess.

Okay, don't lie. Who else has the Van Halen song stuck in their head now?

Row 21 would be my home for the next four hours and as the plane was one of those “completely full” jobs, the extra legroom was much appreciated.

One of the flight attendants saw me taking pictures and asked me “see anything good out there?”. Why of course...airplanes! I told her about Flyertalk and my writing for our wonderful site so let's hope I made another convert.

My luck with ontime flights continued (yay!) and after only a few minutes aloft we were feet wet over the Gulf of Mexico. At this point, the drop down screens came down (how quaint) and played some God Awful looking movie called “Darling Companion”. I chose to skip it and instead read Saturday's Raleigh News and Observer and the book I brought.

My reading was interrupted temporarily by this meal. For flying a US carrier in 2012 in the back, this was actually halfway decent. I was expecting nothing hot and far less and of course, who can complain about Cholula hot sauce? Not this guy! Also, this was my second flight in a row with a good crew as they were smiley and friendly and did a second full drive service after the meal and came out later with water. It's more than Copa did later in the trip and they're a foreign carrier which means I hold them to a higher standard.

I found it like that...I swear!
Old Sep 6, 2012, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Finally after three plus hours we began to make our descent into PTY. Now, I know very little about Panama so I was surprised by how pretty the country looked. And also, how large Panama City appears to be. I actually want to come back and visit the place.

I believe this makes my 119th Airport. Not bad, right?

Copa 268 PTY-SDQ EMB-190 1538-1903

PTY struck me as somewhat of a strange airport as some areas were really nice with high ceilings and lots of natural light while others were dingy and badly lit. Also, wow do they have a very European style shopping setup with lots of stores and employees who “encourage you” to buy things rather forcefully.

I hit the Copa Club and I must confess to being disappointed by it. I have this image in my mind that all foreign airlines are better than US ones and therefore, all foreign lounges should be better than US ones. This felt like I was at the Cleveland Presidents Club. Also, the bathrooms were bad and the departure screens were stuck at 9:46 PM the night before (this hadn't changed when I was back two days later). Luckily, the liquor selection outstripped a US club by a bit and everything was free, though there was a bartender. I know CO (now UA) and CM are close but I had no idea how much until this trip.

This was about all the food offered, there were also granola bars and packaged cookies at the bar. Pretty lame that DL has a bigger spread. But hey, that was a REALLY good beer.

Copa is also following United's lead by adopting a boring font for their livery. Really guys? Of all the things you want to imitate you choose that?

Thankfully, my EMB-190 wasn't sporting it. Also, I love when you're at a lounge and you can look down and watch your plane arrive. Helps with the whole question of “when do I leave?”. Boarding was also more impressive than I was expecting, Copa uses Premier Access/General Boarding lines and they called Business, then Premier Access. I even saw the agent turn people away!

Being Star Gold got me into the bulkhead with that awesome cutout which was certainly a thrill. I am also amused by seeing CO style seats on an E90.

Not bad offerings for the passengers behind the curtain, am I right? Though their beer choices seem to be Miller Lite or Corona. Boo!

Definitely a beautiful looking country. I swear I'm coming back!

Two free meals in coach in a row? What is this...the old days? Not a bad meal either, especially for a two hour flight. The choices were a beef or a chicken sandwich...I went with chicken. It was a chicken patty with cheese though the lack of Cholula was definitely felt.

Note the real curtain separating Business and Coach.

As we were flying over the water with nothing to see, I got myself busy planning my all out assault on the Dominican Capital.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 11:53 am
Original Poster

I promised sunset photos didn't I?

Nice to have my third on time flight in a row. In fact, it's even nicer to have a three flight, two airline routing go as smoothly as it did. And hey, three great crews, at my destination on time, this was already a good redemption.

The Dominican Republic requires purchase of a $10 Tourist Visa upon arrival. Nothing like a shameless money grab, right? Though before I knock the joint too much, I was through customs and immigration and my bag was among the first ten on the belt so all in all, a smooth arrival.

Santo Domingo
Note: this part is extensive as frankly, it was the raison d'etre for my trip. Feel free to skim or skip back to the glorious urplane parts.

While waiting I struck up a conversation with the woman who'd been in 5F on the flight with me. She'd come down to teach for two weeks and is as well traveled as any Flyertalker. We had fun comparing passport stamps and exchanged email addresses. I'm happy to say I made a new friend, she's even a pilot...what's not to like?

After getting my bag I headed outside passed a giant wall of humanity to find a cab. This is where the D. R.experience started as the cab driver simply drove over the sidewalk separating the inside curb from the outside curb and off we went. On the way to the hotel we narrowly missed several accidents and more horns were honked in one hour than in a week in Durham. Still, I arrived at the hotel safely so I shouldn't complain. This trip was all about new experiences and that was certainly part of it!

No suite upgrade at the Hilton, though they moved me to the executive floor and this was certainly a very nice room. The bathroom was also great with a rain shower and I was mere steps from the Executive Lounge, a feature I took great advantage of. Said lounge is open all day 6 AM to 11 PM on weekdays, 6-10 and 5-9 PM on Saturdays and 6-10 and 5-11 PM on Sundays. Not bad! I popped in for evening appetizers after arriving. They had bread, cold cuts, spare ribs and chicken wings as well as fruit and sandwiches the first night.

The view of the Caribbean Sea from the lounge was a real treat. Watching the water, especially during the day, while eating was thrilling.

At this point, the very long day, in addition with a 15 hour work day the day before had me pretty tired. I was very pleased that the hotel had a good selection of TV channels including plenty in English and the fact that the Michael Caine vehicle The Eagle Has Landed was on meant I got a nice movie to fall asleep to.

Speaking of nice views, the view from my room wasn't shabby either. I spent a good amount of time peering down.

All very good breakfast selections from the Exec Lounge. The staff on hand was excellent too, constantly cleaning up dishes and refilling the stock. It's amazing how helpful a good breakfast is on a trip, especially when you'll be doing a lot of walking.

Speaking of walking, it was time to start my day! One of the reasons I'd picked the Hilton was it was by the Santo Domingo Metro. Of course, when I actually researched the Metro, I realized it didn't run to the Zona Colonial (a UNESCO Heritage Site!) where I'd be spending my first day. So I put on my comfy shoes and started walking. And wow, it was HOT. I was walking down the Avenue George Washington, known as the Malceon (“boardwalk”) and it was beautiful, a palm tree lined street next to the water but I was dyin'. I'm an Arizona State graduate and a 7 year native of Phoenix but 95 degrees and humid was killing me. By the time I got to the Intercontinental (about a mile walk), I called it quits and took a cab the rest of the way to my first destination.

Speaking of first destination, here it is, the Parque Independencia.

The park honors the three above heroes, Juan Pablo Duarte, Francisco del Rosario Sánchez, and Ramón Matías Mella who are known as " Los Trinitarios". They're the three men who were instrumental in achieving independence from Haiti in 1844. In fact, the first Dominican flag was raised here. Though the above picture shows at least three flags so I couldn't tell you where.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 11:54 am
Original Poster

After that wonderful start to my day, I headed down the Calle El Conde (Count's Avenue) which was hosting a large street fair. This was a great way to soak up what my Dad calls “local color”. The street art was highly impressive too.

Seemingly every time I stopped to take a photo, numerous natives would approach me and say “taxi? Taxi?” or ask me in impressive English if I wanted to hire a guide. The main drawback to my day was how much I stuck out as a tourist. I've always prided myself on being able to blend in, but as a pale S.O.B. Toting a guidebook and snapping pictures, it was pretty obvious I didn't belong. The touts didn't take a quick “no thanks” for an answer, they were more persistent than any salesman who ever worked at an airport Enterprise Rent-a-Car and because they were so friendly, I felt guilty giving them the go-bye.

My brother once said to me “when I'm in a new city I remember the maxim “when in doubt, go to a park”” and I think it's some of the best advice I've gotten. You can relax a bit, take a few photogs, and catch locals being locals. This is the Parque Colon dedicated to controversial Native Son Christopher Columbus. Feelings on him are mixed between “yay he discovered us!” and “boo he killed a bunch of our natives”. Still, it was a very nice park to cool down in.

After avoiding more guides, I hooked a right on the Calle Las Damas or “Ladies Street”. I love all the architecture and I don't know if I've seen a country displaying more flags. Well, maybe the Southern US but Confederate Flags don't count.

My guidebook said this park, the Plaza De Castro was known only to “residents of the Zone” so I was a little smug when I happened upon it. Pretty too, is it not?

Finally! A little military history for this military historian. This is the Fortaleza Ozama, the oldest colonial military fort in North America! If that doesn't get your blood flowing, check to make sure you've still got a PULSE! Of course, I had to push past numerous guides who told me “you won't enjoy it unless you hire us”. HA! I'm Charles M. Kunz thank you very much. I enjoyed “Battlefield Earth” for God's sake!

They're very kind about letting you climb all over the fort. This is a few of the Rio Ozama showing the Don Diego Cruise Terminal with its daily boat to San Juan. Long ride I bet that would be.

Like many places in the Caribbean, the D.R. Has been occupied (or did I mean occupad-o?) a lot.

Stray dogs are all over Santo Domingo and I was warned not to touch them. But some looked so cute!!!!

Time to walk on! I headed up another street filled with old buildings and these gorgeous tropical alleyways. Isn't in wonderful when you travel somewhere that's like no place you've been previously?

Anyway, back to the history. It was time to hit up the Alcazar de Colon (Columbus's Castle) which was in amazing shape and at a mere $2.25...a great buy. A helpful audio guide was included too.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 11:56 am
Original Poster

That area down there is the Plaza Espana which is a big deal in S.D. In fact, the yearly Christmas tree is erected there. The Alcazar as you can see was a real treat, and being able to stand in front of the window and catch an ocean breeze was much needed for your increasingly sweaty narrator.

More history! MORE!!!!!!! Specifically, the Museo de las Casas Reales which is dedicated to the discovery of the new world. Oddly, it's very pro-conquerors. No apologies for atrocities, genocides, diseases spread, cultures uprooted etc. However, the museum took a VERY anti-Sir Francis Drake stance. The audio guide went on a two minute rant about how he was a “murderer” and a “pirate” and a savage. Don't you love a new perspective?

This room amused me. That collection of arms and armor has nothing to do with the story of the new world, but was in fact purchased by 20th Century Dominican Dictator Trujillo. He used to have an office in this museum (all Colonial Governors did, as the list above and hall of the Governors shows) and he decided to use state funds to buy himself a collection of guns. The perks of absolute power!

Fresh out of the museum, I went out in search of lunch. However, before I could consume any, I stumbled across the National Pantheon, a former 18th Century Jesuit Monastery which now is the final resting place of numerous heroes. How could I pass that up especially when it was FREE?!?!??!

I challenge you to gaze upon that ceiling and not be moved!

Apparently the solider on Honor Guard was doing a poor job with his rifle as his superior came up, took it away from him and gave him the what for while the first guard stood in meek submission. This was definitely a highlight of my day.

Also, I found a fun little flea market next door. One guy was selling US license plates. Made me wish I brought the extra ones from my rental car office...I'd have made a killing!

Finally...delicious delicous lunch! I also had a big bowl of rice and the whole bill came to something like $12.

At this point, a native started following me around talking to me. I tried to offer him money and he refused. I kept trying to ditch him, waiting for him to walk one way and I'd say “oh I'm going this way” but he kept following. I figured he was just being friendly so we kept talking. He took me to the above church, the Monasterio de San Francisco. Which Sir Francis Drake (the total poop-head) sacked in 1586.. Right at my feet was a pit where 56 of Trujillo's victims were found.

Hey...a Chinatown! Who knew? They were selling puppies and kittens and live chickens on the street. I don't think I want to know what for.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 11:57 am
Original Poster

This is the Iglesia Santa Barbara, the only (oh I love when I stumble onto an only) combination church and fortress in Santo Domingo! Once again, I was able to climb right up the steps around the back, something I'm sure would be roped off in this country.

That pyramid-casino looking what-have-you in the background is the Faro de Colon which is supposedly the final resting place of Columbus, though Portugal claims they have the real corpus colon. It's a very controversial building as when it's illuminated, lights go out all over the city.

A short walk to the Igelisa y Convento Dominico (the first university in the Dominical Republic...ANOTHER FIRST) and my “guide” showed his true colors. He wanted to show me the best whorehouse on the island. When I said I wasn't interested, he asked for money saying he had given me a much better tour than any licensed guide would have. I gave him 50 pesos, worth about $1.25 and he got angry. I said “hey, you said you didn't want money, you said you weren't like that earlier, I didn't agree to hire you, this is what you're going to get”. He was very upset with me and maybe I could have handled it better, but I wanted to be alone in the first place. Besides, he got the pleasure of my company which is priceless.

By now it was mid-afternoon and I was beat. I'd probably walked 5 miles or so in the heat and I desperately needed a siesta. I figured I was a big tough guy and could walk back to the hotel so I began the two mile trek.

This is a statue honoring a Friar who worked hard to curb the slave trade. I prefer to think he's actually the Patron Saint of Loud People. I offered a prayer.

Back down the Malceon. Sadly, there are no beaches in Santo Domingo, you have to go about 20 miles outside the city.

Once back at the hotel I collapsed. I'd pushed myself a little too hard on too little water (and arguably, too much beer) and I ended up feeling very sick. I had a headache unlike any I can remember, muscle spams, nausea and a fever. It wasn't quite heatstroke but it may have been close. I canceled plans for dinner and dancing and instead relaxed by the pool and turned in early. This wasn't overly upsetting though, as I was traveling solo my main plans were history, culture and seeing a new perspective and slice of life and all of this was accomplished in spades. Plus, I was offered women and drugs before 2 PM...what's not to like?

Oh, I stopped in at the executive lounge too and I was happy to see they had mini-pizzas and quesadillas on offer tonight, mixing up the hot options is a big plus. No booze at said lounge though, not even for money, but bottled Coke always goes down smoothly.

Monday dawned and I was up early ready to greet the day and hit a few sights before heading home. Also, check out how much I did yesterday...not bad for an amateur. Breakfast was similar foods to the day before, though they had ham as well as sausages and bacon on offer. Also, the most amazing peach juice. Oh man I wish I had some right now!

My hotel seemed to be hosting a Canadian Trade Delegation. Apparently in Ottawa people walk on the road and cars drive on the sidewalk.

During my walk I stumbled upon the above scene which shows why driving is so scary in the D.R. The traffic lights didn't work so people just went when they went using a lot of horn and a lot more aggression. Also, crosswalks aren't observed so every time I had to cross, I held my breath and ran. It was exhilarating.

My first stop was the University. I've long felt a visit to a local university is a fun way to get a feel of a country. You see real people (in this case close to my age) and usually there's some primo architecture too.

See what I mean? Also, I got a lot of double-takes and stares during my stroll on campus. I don't blame them though, how often do they get to see the 2008 Gilbert, Arizona Adult Softball League Record Holder for “Only Man Sucker Punched by the Other Team”in the flesh???

Hooray a new transit system! One of the many travel details I track is how many transit systems I've ridden on. This one is currently small and doesn't serve a lot of neighborhoods (in fact, it ran way over budget and got the former President in trouble) but apparently it's soon to be expanded. Also, it's very clean and very safe and quite cheap too. Rides varied between $.50 and $1.10 depending on direction.

I saw this on the subway map and decided to take an impromptu look around. And I am VERY glad I did. The cemetery had a beauty to it I wasn't expecting.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Next up I strolled around the local neighborhood getting a better feel for Santo Domingo than I had the first day. It's always interesting to see local stores where the locals actually shop and watch people going about their daily lives. Oh and of course I hydrated much more this day.

Speaking of daily life...wow the traffic is bad. Also, these people honk more in an hour than I do in a month and my personal motto is “I never met a honk I didn't like”. It's not for nothing my guidebook said “bring ear plus, the D.R. Is one of the loudest countries there is”. I'd also stopped at a park near here, the Centro Olympico but it was pretty rundown and not worth photographing. Though I did get to watch some locals play a little baseball which was fun.

Okay, okay on my way back to the hotel I cracked and decided to gamble. I lost $10 so sue me! I did get a beer out of it though so that's something. Gaming here is not very impressive, it seemed to be just slot machines and the casino I was in was fairly dingy. I don't know if any of the bigger ones are nicer.

After one last stop at the Exec Lounge for a light lunch (sandwiches, fruit, cold cuts, bread), I checked out of the hotel. Unfortunately, I didn't do the math on my bill and didn't realize until later I'd been overcharged. I'd canceled an early reservation and made a newer, cheaper one and the hotel charged me the higher rate. It took several phone calls and emails to get the refund process started. An annoying end to an otherwise excellent stay. I'd still stay at the hotel again, but you'd better believe I'll be doing my math at check out. I didn't think to divide the number on the bill by 39 to find out how many USDs I was being charged. Stupid mistake, but one I can learn from.

CM 107 SDQ-PTY 737-700 1538-1722

Alas, it was time for the sweet sorry that is parting. Of course, there was to be a little extra sorrow because I had to brave another cab ride! I swear we missed hitting other cars by mere millimeters a few times.

Goodbye, Zona Colonial!

The drive back was very pretty (at least in the day time) as we went by the Naval Academy and then drove along the Caribbean Sea for thirty minutes. Notice how the driver has his hand ready to honk at a moment's notice?

Made it! Check in was a quick affair and having Star Gold saved my bacon as the general check-in line must have been over 100 deep. My bag was priority tagged and I had boarding passes and was off to fill out a customs form in under five minutes. 2X the thumbs up to Copa!

Security and customs went quickly (though I got a pat down which was definitely NSFW) and I even managed to exchange my leftover Pesos quickly. I love no lines and I love that I got both an entry and an exit stamp in my Passeporte!

Pretty bland airport terminal they have here. The restaurants were severely overpriced too and everything was priced in USD.

Thankfully, Copa has a Club here. The design I think was stolen from the old SAT Presidents Club but it sure beats the gate.

Hey! I found where the old Tulip stuff goes!

Once again, priority boarding was offered and enforced (thank you!) though it didn't matter as much today as we had a fairly light load. In fact, I think Business was under half full. If only I was upgrade eligible!

Good to see someone still has widebodies here. I love the above pavement markings, that's a whole lotta nostalgia!
Old Sep 6, 2012, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Hey there's my bag! Flyertalk tag and everything.

What a pleasant little trip that was, touts, getting sick and overcharged aside, I had a great time and was very glad I booked the award and the visit. Anyway, getting back to the flight:

Free meal! I went with the beef sandwich this time and other than being in dire need of hot sauce it was lovely. This was another quick flight with some short subject program on the drop down screens during which I read and reflected on my visit. I was in the bulkhead again (Star Gold, you come in handy more than anyone else I know) and had an empty seat next to me.

Back to gorgeous Panama. On time arrival number four in the books!

CM 235 PTY-ORD 737-700 1834-0006

My inbound aircraft would also be my outbound aircraft which was good for an on time departure, but bad for my ultra-nerdy registration list. The airport was even more crowded than it was two days ago and the lounge was overrun with people. Seating was hard to find and there were lines for the bathroom and the counter. Also, the broken departure screens I mentioned earlier? Still broken.

The other beer I had was better! Thankfully, I didn't have to stay long as I got to go board the same plane I'd just gotten off of!

Those tables and ropes are for secondary screening. I think it's a Panama-US thing because they didn't have it for the flight to SDQ a few days ago. It was pretty quick, mainly a glance in my bag. Once again, hats off to Copa as they enforced priority boarding and I watched people turned away. Why on why can't United do that?

I went right back to seat 5F which ended up becoming a torture chamber as the flight was full and 5E occupied by someone who may or may not moonlight as a pro-football player. I'm a big guy myself so being forced against the window for a five hour flight was highly obnoxious. I would have preferred an aisle for this flight but try as I might I'd never been able to get the reservation to load on Copaair.com.

The meal choices on this flight were “beef with rice or Chow-mein-chicken-Chinese-food”. You can see which one I took. Also, does Copa have stock in Nabisco? That's my third flight in a row with Golden Oreos! As I ate this, I watched the highly disappointing film “Brave” on the main screen. Following dinner there was a coffee run but I didn't see the crew after that. Granted, I slept for about 90 minutes but if there was no second beverage run on a five hour flight, I find that a little disappointing. Also, this was my longest ever 737 flight...cool huh?

Oh I was thrilled to wake up and see Chicago. I wanted off this plane and somewhere I could stretch my poor arms and legs. Thankfully, the Midnight arrival meant no taxi or gate delays and absolutely no line at immigration. Of course, we did have a 30 minute wait for bags. They offloaded maybe fifteen and then there was the half hour pause for the rest of them, including most of the Priority tagged ones. Big thumbs down for that.

UA 488 ORD-RDU A-320 0620-0915

As you can see, I had about a six hour layover and it was going to be technically overnight. I considered a hotel but the cheapest ones were going for about $75 and I said to myself “self, at the end of the day would you rather have had maybe four hours sleep in a bed, or $75 extra in your pocket?” The latter won and it was off to find a sleeping spot at O'Hare I went!

Eventually, I wandered down the lower level of Terminal 1 and found this little cave behind a Hudson News. It was darker and quieter and thanks to earplugs I managed about an hour of sleep. By 3:45 AM the checkpoints were open so I waltzed through security.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

JEFF TURNED THIS AIRLINE ON ITS EAR! I HAVE PROOF!

Earliest I've ever been airside. Also, I've never waited on a lounge to open, either. Thankfully it did at 4:30 so I was able to get something to eat and have a little nap. I was prepared for an argument as I was afraid the agent wouldn't view my previous day's Copa BP as sufficient grounds for entry but it scanned in without a hitch.

Biggest bagel holes ever, blech!

Today's upgrade list was an astonishing 31 which made me even more thrilled to be on an Y award as it meant I didn't have to weep openly at my pathetic showing on the upgrade list. Nice to not have any false hope about First Class but instead know you'll be in 21F and be okay with it.

See that A-319? It's going to SFO. F-ing merger!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know what this means!

Yesterday's Copa 737-700 is the third plane from the right at the M Concourse.

After this it was time for your un-showered, un-shaven narrator to get more Zs and more Zs did he get!

See that plane? I don't know where it's going, I do know that I'm tired, sore, and I've just flown over 3,000 miles but if I could, I'd be on that plane. Instead, I went to work with nothing more than excitement for my next trip to keep me company.

Conclusion
Alone among any trip I've taken this year, or in fact in the last few years, this one served as a huge learning experience for me. I went into my Caribbean visit thinking it would be similar to visiting European cities, something I have extensive experience with, and it wasn't. I didn't do enough research ahead of time, I wasn't ready for the heat or not fitting in and I made a few mistakes. Still, I adapted well and learned quickly and would gladly go back to the D.R. Though this time, I'm drinking more water and wearing a hat. I'm very glad I took the trip and for someone who is still hesitant to go outside his comfort zone, I think doing so will be a great benefit to me.

If you made it this far, thank you, your reading is much appreciated. I will answer all comments and questions. See you in my next report!
Old Sep 6, 2012, 1:08 pm

Great Trip Report!

Just a note:

You can see your name and MP on your boarding pass. You might want to obscure that.

a7800
Old Sep 6, 2012, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Great report, and when you go back to Panama, make sure you get to see the Canal... My Partner and I have been to Costa Rica and Panama many times, we both prefer Costa Rica. In both countries they speak english enough for people who don't speaka spanish to get by.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Great report! I enjoyed reading it. Santo Domingo looks like a really nice city; I hope I can go there someday.

Do visit Panama -- I've spent a day in Panama City and there are so many cool things. You can easily spend an hour or two just at the canal. I was in Bocas Del Toro (BOC) for a few days prior; it's this island with a tiny beach town. You can go on a boat out snorkeling for a day, or just walk around town and look around. It's really cool. We had entered the country from Costa Rica and took a bus to a boat to Bocas Del Toro. We flew BOC-PAC (the other airport in Panama City) on an Air Panama Fokker 27! The other option would have been the now-defunct Aeroperlas Shorts-360. I think it's Dash 8 or DHC-6 service to BOC now.

Originally Posted by CMK10
Good to see someone still has widebodies here. I love the above pavement markings, that's a whole lotta nostalgia!
Wow, and room for a Yak-42 and Il-62! You don't see those every day

-J.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 8:39 pm

Loved the report! Where are you going next?
Old Sep 6, 2012, 10:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Very nice report. Thank you for the wonderful photos.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.