Wiki Posts
Search

Off to Poland: C-class CDG-VIE-WAW on Austrian and LOT

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2012, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold
Off to Poland: C-class CDG-VIE-WAW on Austrian and LOT

I've been traveling in Europe for the last month, mainly by rail, but the best way to get from France to my next destination quickly was by air. And luckily United allows one-way bookings and access to partner inventory online. The flights that worked best for my schedule only had business class availability, but it was only 20,000 miles and $79 in taxes so I thought, why not! Despite all of its recent woes, I do like how UA offers one-way bookings and partner inventory online - there were a lot of options to choose from. I also investigated using DL miles but it didn't seem to be possible to book online or there was no availability, so just went with *A.

(Also posted on my blog here).

Edited to add: apologies for the pictures being so humongous! I'm using a different way to upload photos to blogger than I used in the past, and they're all full-sized images. Pictures are automatically resized on the blog, but I don't know of a way to change that within the Flyertalk interface...

CDG-VIE
Austrian Airlines Airbus A320
dep. 16:50, arr. 18:55

Check in was quick, although for some reason my bag could go all the way to WAW but I couldn't get a boarding pass for my LOT flight. It seems like OS and LO systems would be better connected, since they even share a mileage program? I was surprised that I needed to go to the transfer desk at VIE for my LO boarding pass.

Austrian flies from terminal 2D in CDG, which is an old 70s-looking building with arrivals and departures on the same level, and uses the Air France lounge. The lounge receptionists were very courteous, but the lounge itself has the same decor as the terminal which is rather ugly. Food was limited to chips and cookies.

We were bussed to the airplane. Being on the second bus meant waiting a long time for all of the stragglers at the gate. I guess the strategy to minimize bus time is to either try to get on the first bus or be the last person on the last bus?

As many of you probably already know, C-class on OS European flights is Economy Class seats with middle seat blocked. This is my first time flying intra-Europe Business

Our pilot gave us a nice present leaving CDG (at least those of us on the left side of the plane) - wonder views of Paris including the Eiffel Tower and Arc de Triomphe as you can see in this picture.

Dinner was lovely on this <2 hr flight! Everything was tasty and fresh. The salad had a few nice frisee leaves, mozzarella and tomato, the chicken was served with mashed potatoes and spinach, there were a selection of rolls, and to finish chocolate mousse cake. I like the mini clothes pin to pin the napkins to our shirts!

In VIE I only had 35 minute connection time, and a lot of that time was eaten up at the transfer desk. There was A LOT of typing that the agent had to do, and he even asked me midway through if I was on an electronic or paper ticket. I thought paper tickets went the way of the dodo a long time ago (except as I recall in Myanmar when I visited a few years ago), and besides, with my boarding pass and ability to see that I already had a bag checked through, isn't that information somehow visible without asking? Anyway, I still insisted on visiting the lounge even though boarding technically already started. Who knows when the next time I'll transit through VIE? I really wanted to see the lounge!

I loved the alps-shaped couch, especially against the light box image of the alps!

Had a couple (what I would like to believe are) Viennese pastries, and then I was off to the gate.

VIE-WAW
LOT Polish Airlines 737
dep. 19:30, arr. 20:45

This time I was the last one on the bus. The only other person on the bus was an HON Circle member - I found out because when the plane landed in WAW a fancy car (BMW 7-series?) was waiting for him.

LO has a similar set-up as OS.

This flight was less than an hour long, but we still got a snack. It was... interesting! I think it was triangles of pate on the left, with pears, sauerkraut with raisins, and maraschino cherry. On the right I think was a fish pate, with citrus section, red bell pepper strip, and mustard seeds. There were a selection of rolls, and a "Prince Polo" chocolate wafer. I learned later from my Polish friend that Prince Polos are very popular in Poland, at least among kids.

Last edited by flaii; Sep 3, 2012 at 7:57 pm
Old Sep 4, 2012, 12:12 am

Austrian intra European flights look amazing in the catering department...

I remember they used to have printed menus... wonder if it is still the case?

Thanks for sharing!
Carfield
Old Sep 4, 2012, 2:56 pm

That lounge looks awesome!
Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for reading!

Carfield, no, there were no printed menus on this flight.

blr1222, I'm assuming you mean the Austrian VIE lounge, not the Air France CDG one It certainly was a nice lounge. I just read this post on the Austrian blog, that they even use a "special glacier aroma" in the lounge! I didn't particularly notice a perfume, but I guess that's the point - to make you "feel" like you're in the alps. From that post, it looks like there were parts of the lounge I didn't get to explore due to my short stay there.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by blr1222
That lounge looks awesome!
Looks amazingly awesome.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 9:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
is that view from the lounge real?????
Old Sep 6, 2012, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blackmamba
is that view from the lounge real?????
blackmamba, I think you are referring to the image of the alps? That's a lightbox image - there's a transparent picture (in this case a really big one) with light shining from the other side. At least that's what I think is going on. I seem to recall in other parts of the lounge there were other nature scenes, presumably from Austria, but can't be sure. The "real" view from the lounge is of the gates and runways. Here's a picture taken from the Austrian Airlines blog post I referenced earlier. I have a similar picture but didn't want to upload another humongous file

Another fun nature reference which I didn't learn about until I looked at that blog post, is that there seems to be an image of sky projected above the lounge reception desk!
Old Sep 10, 2012, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by flaii
blr1222, I'm assuming you mean the Austrian VIE lounge, not the Air France CDG one It certainly was a nice lounge. I just read this post on the Austrian blog, that they even use a "special glacier aroma" in the lounge! I didn't particularly notice a perfume, but I guess that's the point - to make you "feel" like you're in the alps. From that post, it looks like there were parts of the lounge I didn't get to explore due to my short stay there.
Thanks for linking me to that blog post. The perfume thing is crazy awesome. Now I need to make a special trip to Vienna.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 3:00 pm
Suspended

ph nice you visit the new Skylink!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.