Search

Lucas' Seven Month Old Travel Recap & Our Upcoming Plans

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2012, 8:56 am
Formerly known as MLW20
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT GOLD, Delta, UA/Continental & many others

While walking around SoHo in New York City we came across this awesome sign. It was in the window of Giggle, a baby store.

I thought it would make for a good photo with Lucas. It pretty much sums up our thoughts for traveling with a baby. Lucas has not held us back, he has been a great travel partner!

When Kim got pregnant many people commented on how things would slow down for us in terms of travel. I never listened to these remarks and always said how we plan to still go away multiple times each year. The question would then be- with the baby??? My answer was always a firm yes. I have always seen families traveling with infants so why couldn't we?

The other day I ran into a neighbor that I had not seen in a few months. She asked how Lucas was and then made a comment about us not traveling. I told her how great Lucas was doing and then went on to tell her about our trips we had taken. I also mentioned our upcoming trip to Southeast Asia. After each trip that I spoke about she asked "with the baby", was he coming along? When I told her yes she was surprised and impressed that we were still getting to travel.

On our two trips (flying) to date with Lucas we've definitely had to slow down a little. There are stops needed for feeding and changing but otherwise Lucas has been a great travel partner.
I don't feel like we had to pass up many experiences or missed out on much so far.

Lucas is having a great first year of travel. He might not remember the places he went and things he saw but we have lots of pictures to show him when he is older. It's also been an amazing experience for Kim and I!

Here are Lucas' trips and the age that he took them:

Barbados- 3 months old
South Dakota- 6 months old

Tomorrow we leave for Southeast Asia and Lucas just turned 7 months old this past Saturday. We'll be flying in business class thanks to our mileage collecting! (This should be a great experience in itself!)

We will be visiting:

Singapore
Bali, Indonesia
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Hopefully we'll get in another little adventure before his first birthday!

Stay tuned...
Old Aug 16, 2012, 9:15 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As this seems most apt for FT's Travel With Children forum, please follow it as it moves there. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 9:19 am
Formerly known as MLW20
Original Poster

Thank you! I honestly did not realize that there was a travel with children forum. Great to know. I'll definitely be checking it out!
Old Aug 17, 2012, 6:30 am

Programs: United Plus
Actually, it better belongs in Trip Reports but come here if you have any questions or comments to traveling with children in general. The first year is always the easiest so take advantage!
Old Aug 17, 2012, 6:33 am
Formerly known as MLW20
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eclipsepearl
Actually, it better belongs in Trip Reports but come here if you have any questions or comments to traveling with children in general. The first year is always the easiest so take advantage!
I definitely will be checking out this forum!
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:27 am
Suspended

I don't think families with young children should be traveling frivolously (when not for things like weddings and funerals), both for the sake of the child (all risk, no benefit (small children can't remember the trip)) and the innocent bystanders who have to put up with what the child(ren) might do.

Last edited by Moomba; Aug 20, 2012 at 11:03 pm Reason: Removed offensive suggestion
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:04 pm

Programs: Too many

Lol I can't believe the rudeness of people on here! Disgraceful and totally uncalled for. I have no kids but quite happy to see people living life to the fullest in the way THEY choose to.

Glad you are enjoying life as a young family. Memories for life are created from times like this.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 9:16 am

Look forward to the trip report on SE Asia. We've yet to try a trip that ambitious with our 10mo, but we have the same view on not letting him stop our travels. We're currently in LA on trip 6 with him (his second Do) and today's flight to PDX will be #27. If we'd paid for his seats, he's have status next year.

It gets more interesting once they can move, as we've found out this trip.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:26 am
Formerly known as MLW20
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jinxy
Lol I can't believe the rudeness of people on here! Disgraceful and totally uncalled for. I have no kids but quite happy to see people living life to the fullest in the way THEY choose to.

Glad you are enjoying life as a young family. Memories for life are created from times like this.
Thank you so much! Lucas was great on our flights from NYC-SIN. We flew business class and he was great. In fact on one of the flights the couple behind us was playing with him, holding him- definitely not hurting their time in biz.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:29 am
Formerly known as MLW20
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rehoult
Look forward to the trip report on SE Asia. We've yet to try a trip that ambitious with our 10mo, but we have the same view on not letting him stop our travels. We're currently in LA on trip 6 with him (his second Do) and today's flight to PDX will be #27. If we'd paid for his seats, he's have status next year.

It gets more interesting once they can move, as we've found out this trip.
Sounds awesome! Good for you for traveling with the baby! This is our third trip flying with Lucas. During our trip around SE Asia we also have 3 flights around the region. The funny thing is that he is better on planes than in the car!

People don't mind a baby at a DO? I'd consider that at some point. I've never been to any events like that!

I'd love to hear about your trip to PDX and what it's like with a mobile baby!

Would you rather have status for the baby or the free flights? (I'll take the free flights) We did have to pay tax of course to bring him to Barbados and SE Asia...
Old Aug 19, 2012, 1:51 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by Flubber2012
I don't think families with young children should be traveling frivolously (when not for things like weddings and funerals), both for the sake of the child (all risk, no benefit (small children can't remember the trip)) and the innocent bystanders who have to put up with what the child(ren) might do.
a self admitted infrequent travel person remarking like this. Wow.

Last edited by Moomba; Aug 20, 2012 at 11:04 pm Reason: Removed deleted suggestion of quote
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by Jinxy
Lol I can't believe the rudeness of people on here! Disgraceful and totally uncalled for.
Welcome to Flyertalk. People type stuff that they woudl never say to your face. I had one long-time FTer who posts a lot here on FT personally attack me because of the kind of meat that I liked to eat!

But I've gotten used to it; somehow this is the culture of FT.

Last edited by Moomba; Aug 20, 2012 at 5:41 am Reason: Removed deleted post quote
Old Aug 20, 2012, 4:12 am
Suspended

Huh?

Originally Posted by mkjr
a self admitted infrequent travel person remarking like this. Wow.
Please explain the logical linkage between relatively infrequent travel and being annoyed by a screaming baby on a flight.

Or was your point that, as an infrequently flyer, my irritation with screaming babies is not valid?

????

Last edited by Flubber2012; Aug 20, 2012 at 4:33 am
Old Aug 20, 2012, 5:43 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I have had to clean a few posts up in this thread.

The name calling ends now.

Moomba
Moderator: Trip Reports
Old Sep 3, 2012, 5:38 am

Programs: DL Silver
Michael -- for your trip to Barbados: did you buy a ticket for Lucas or travel infant-in-arms?

My wife and I just had our first, and in November will be traveling to Tokyo for Thanksgiving. We're a little daunted by the idea of traveling internationally with a 4-month old, but the family's kind of far-flung and none of the aunts/uncles/cousins have met her yet. I've traveled a fair amount and have been to Japan a handful times...but never with a baby.

If it were domestic, I wouldn't hesitate to go the infant-in-arms route and save the money. But on a 12-hour transpac flight that might be too ambitious. I realize Barbados isn't quite as far, but from Brooklyn that's still a decent haul. What did you do?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.