I won a free trip on Porter Airlines EWR-YTZ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)

Apologies for no photos during this report. The photos I took were erased accidentally from my iPhone during an update. Had some nice shots of the props spinning over some nice lakes.

A few months ago I signed up for Porter Airlines Frequent Flyer Program (www.flyporter.com) and as a promotion each month they select some winners for a complimentary round trip ticket. I was one of the lucky ones.
About the same time a college buddy of mine announced his intentions to have a birthday weekend in Toronto so I was in luck to have a legit reason to take time off and use this ticket.

Making the reservation was extremely easy. Took about 15 minutes with the very nice Canadian lady (stereotype) and cost me just the US security fee. During the process I was told of the seating options to purchase preferred seats which I'm rather glad I did not pay for as the seats I got where rather good. I received my email confirmation and added the flight to my TripIt profile.

Online check-in was rather easy and a printable & digital boarding pass were sent to me. The digital pass added itself to my iPhone Passport which made it easy during security and boarding.

Friday April 5th: I took the L-train across town to connect to the A train up to Port Authority for my quick bus ride on the Coach/Olympia ride to Terminal B. I had found Porter's check-in desk the week prior when returning from another trip so I knew to find them on the Lower Level of Terminal B and Newark Liberty Airport. Porter provides a free checked bag for all passengers so I took advantage of this service to avoid having TSA going through my medical supplies. TSA checkpoint was empty and I presented my paperstock boarding pass that was given to me when I checked my bag along with my Global Entry Card. The fact that TSA people still ask me what the Global Entry program is frustrates me but doesn't surprise me. I pointed out that her own employer provides the program and she was surprised. MMW was in full effect but my opt out was actually pretty decent. The TSO went through the motions asking if I had opted out before. I applied in the affirmative, informed of my tender area (my groin), that I was ticklish and was unable to move my left arm very high. The security theater was completed and a TSO supervisor asked if he could ask me a few questions about my opt out which I said no and walked away. Porter was the only airline operating out the section of Terminal B that afternoon. 2 United 764 planes, a Jet airlines A330 & a 772LR from Air India were there waiting after depositing their passengers towards immigration. Porter provides a "lounge" at Newark. It is less of a traditional lounge but rather a separate seating area next to the 2 Porter Gates with a Nespresso Machine, good selection of juices, water & soda, complimentary Wifi (wasn't working) and shortbread cookies. Passengers were rather calm and everyone seemed to be in a good mood minus that one jackass who yelled at his kids over the phone. I brought in a salad from one of the outside vendors without issue from the staff.

Boarding was announced and I finished my espresso as the Kettles boarded. I'm not quick to board especially without a bag to put in the overhead. My passport & boarding pass were checked and onto the DHC-8 Q400 NextGen. The Flight Attendant at the door checked my boarding pass again for seat assignment which I found a big odd as I haven't experienced that in economy in a long time.
Porter operates DHC-8 Q400 & NextGen prop planes exclusively on its network. They are in a one class setting with preferred seating at the bulkheads and I believe the emergency exits behind the wings. The seat is actually decently comfortable (take not United) with good legroom. I had seat 3D which is a little bit closer to the prop than I wanted BUT the NextGen isn't nearly as loud as the regular Q400s. FAs were kind and really efficient and pretty damn cute. The forward FA spoke 4 languages as far as I could tell. Push back and taxi were held for 4 minutes and then off we went. Behind a widebody our little Q400 was tossed around in the jet wash. Take off was typical of a Q400. Quick and less angled than a jet. The flight itself took about an hour and took us across NJ, NE PA, Central and Western NY and across Lake Ontario from Newfane NY. I could actually see one of my professor's house on the lake at one point. During flight FAs gave us the options of complimentary water, juice, coffee/tea, select sodas and a choice of white or red wines. A snack basket of packaged almonds, potato chips & cookies was passed around. The almonds were a bit salty but a few glasses of red wine helped that pass. Immigration paperwork was passed out and after a few chapters of my book we were rounding about to land.

YTZ Billy*bob* Bishop Airport is on an island in the bay near downtown Toronto. This could be my new favorite airport. Things are just so clean and easy there. Landing was smooth and gives a great view of the city and bay. Once deboarded the way to immigration wasn't all that far off and as I was the 3rd person to get to an agent (a few others used Nexus) I was through with 2 questions and a "Welcome to Canada". Baggage took about 5 minutes to come out the single carousel and customs was a breeze. Being that the airport is on an island passengers have to take a ferry to and from the airport. This takes about 90 seconds. It's pretty ridiculous. A tunnel is in the process of being built with expected opening Spring 2014.

Our group of friends stayed at the Courtyard Marriott Downtown. Don't make the mistake of staying there. The rooms look like something out of a 1995 Ramada Inn brochure and staff need some retraining. The Toronto Zoo was fun but many exhibits were close due to weather or remodel in expectation of the new Pandas. Many meals were eat and as 30 year olds do for their birthdays we got too drunk and enjoyed ourselves.

April 7th YTZ-EWR: I was dropped off at the Ferry Terminal for the 90 second ferry back across to the airport. The water was a bit choppy that day and it was felt on the ride over. Once at the airport I accidentally went to the domestic security line instead but the nice Canadian lady pointed me to the correct line. Security was with a WTMD and my shoes stayed on. Belt was to be removed, liquids in bag out and laptop all in a single bin. Passport & Boarding Pass were checked by security. I was in the Porter Lounge within 10-15 minutes after getting off the ferry. This lounge was rather large and new. A business center with about 15 iMacs was setup to the right, an info desk which also operated as the center of operations for the Gate Agents was to the left next to the cafe *pay for food* and the complimentary beverages, coffee machine and a few choices of snacks. I have to say the shortbread chocolate chip cookies were pretty good. Also almonds were available with remikens. The lounge opens to 3 boarding doors with 9 gates behind them. Wifi in complimentary and was of pretty decent speed even. Was able to upload a few files during that time.

My flight was announced on time and this time I selected to use the GatePorter option which is a gate check of my bag which was returned to me at my destination's gate. The same procedure was followed with my boarding pass being checked again upon boarding. Take off was delayed due to Newark slowdown but once airport our flight was once again rather quick. The FA was rather insistent on trying to give me a Customs form for the US even though I told him I didn't need one. He relented saying I could find some in the immigration hall if needed. The sights from my seat, 3D, and I could even tell when we passed over my hometown when beginning our decent into EWR. Landing was a little bumpy as are my previous prop-plane landings at EWR.

Deboarding was quick as usual and my bag came up to the gate within 5 minutes. Thanks to Global Entry I was through Immigrations & Customs and back waiting for my Bus back to Port Authority in under 10 minutes.

Overall I have to say I am very happy with Porter. The operations are smooth, clean and a great model for smaller airline operations. Service is done with a smile and nothing seems to be a problem for them. I will gladly use Porter again on my next travels into Canada.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.