Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Finish with a Bang, Start with a Bang (LX F, OZ F, CA J, CX J, AA F, SQ J, BA F)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finish with a Bang, Start with a Bang (LX F, OZ F, CA J, CX J, AA F, SQ J, BA F)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
And what’s a trip to Tokyo without a ride on the Yamanote Line

Sadly I caught something the Japanese weren’t the most efficient, broken turnstile

Jan 4, 2012 – Wednesday
CX 451 NRT-TPE 3:30pm-6:35pm (333/J)
CX 451 TPE-HKG 7:45pm-9:35pm (333/J)

And catching Friendlyskies at the Grand Hyatt next morning, went up to the Tokyo Metropolitan Building for some fantastic and free views of the city.

After the mini excursion in the morning, said farewell to FriendlySkies and Mr. Victor , got my Dad at the Hyatt just a shy prior to 10:45am.
I did pay a closer study to the Skyliner train time so the connection wait would be shorter.
Sadly I connected so well that I got to Narita at 12:30pm before the CX counters were open for the afternoon.

Tokyo Narita International Airport Terminal 2

Luckily the wait was only 10 mins and my parents had an even greater surprise awaiting them, apparently no one was flying on CX 521 on a 744 today so they have the entire F cabin to themselves, lucky parents.
The check-in agent also advised us where the CX lounges are but I told them we’ll be heading to the JL F lounge today

Cathay Pacific First Class Check-In

Immigration had no line and as usual, security was calm and a good smooth pace for the traveler. No yelling like Canada or the United States.

Tokyo Narita Japan Airlines First Class Lounge

Part 7 Continues Below
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC

Mom wanted his usual shopping, I wanted the JL massage, and Dad just wants to be left alone?
Massage didn’t begin til 2pm so off I went in shopping, Mom found a great price for a handbag, hehe
Back to the lounge, still have plenty of time so got some beef curry, Dad said it’s Average, crap me, who said Sons are hard to handle? How about Dads???

Ugh, I needed this massage for stress relief a long time ago, man do I miss you…

The time in the F lounge starting to click down and I headed off to Gate 64 for CX 451
CX sure boards plane really quick on most days, I left the F lounge at 3:05pm, gate was 2 min walk away and the flight was already at final call.
Door were closed 3:19pm

Cathay Pacific Airways Airbus 330-300

*3rd flight, 3213 Miles flown this year
Cathay Pacific Airways 451
Tokyo Narita to Taipei Taoyuan
3:30pm – 6:35pm, 4 hr 5 min flight
Business Class, Seat 12C
Food – Dinner
Equipment – Airbus 330-300

Like other CX flight, the ISM is usually at the 1st door to greet First and Business Class passenger, and some days you know you have a great ISM that day. Today was one of those, had a simply fantastic Indian ISM with a wonderful sense of humor.

Flight time was a little scary to say the least, 3 hr 55 mins to cover 1356 miles between Narita and Taipei. That mean the plane is only gaining 340ish miles per hour.
165 Mph head winds, DAMN!!!

Another speedy start by the trusty CX crew, with the same wasabi beans in the nut mix as the outbound NRT flight. Probably didn’t need to be speedy with the extended flight time today.

CX 451 NRT – TPE Dinner

Starter
Roasted duck breast with asparagus, cucumber, green apple and celery salad
Mixed salad with kalamata olive and balsamic vinegar dressing
Mugwort soba noodles

Main Course
Baked Salmon with sea urchin cream sauce, Japanese rice and mixed vegetables

Grilled Australian Prime beef tenderloin, potato mash with sun-dried tomato, roasted shallots, carrot and asparagus

Hong Kong style curry chicken with steamed jasmine rice and Shanghainese pak choy

Cheese and Dessert
Cheese selection
Fresh Seasonal Fruit
Haagan-Dazs Ice Cream

Tea and Coffee

Once again, went with the Japanese option just to change up the meal choice, was average

Yummy Pralines

After the meal, actually had a chance to have some casual talk with the ISM, apparently this was the 2nd day of their 2 day trip. HKG-NRT-TPE-HKG. CX crew seems to have an easier process to change into flying different routes, the company gives them a monthly schedule and the crew is free to trade with others for flight time. In comparison, the US system is more Seniority above all else, hence why we see older crew on longer routes.
Maybe this is one way to keep the crew more energize, I know for 1 thing, don’t 99% expect to see any purser on AA under 25 years seniority on a long haul.

Just before, I was originally booked on the later CX 531 TPE-HKG, but with such a great crew, I promised to try to switch to the earlier continuation CX 451 TPE-HKG

TPE is such a wonderful airport when it comes to airside connection, walk out to the arrival hallway, turn right for connecting security checkpoint and you’re easily back to the departure level.

And luckily, for CX 451, I did get my old seat back for the TPE-HKG flight.

*4rd flight, 3714 Miles flown this year
Cathay Pacific Airways 451
Taipei Taoyuan to Hong Kong
7:45pm – 9:30pm, 1 hr 45 min flight
Business Class, Seat 12A
Food – Dinner
Equipment – Airbus 330-300

As I was a little late for boarding because of the flight change, I was boarding around the middle of the pack on the Business Class Jetbridge, the crew welcome me back just like family which kinda surprised everyone else in J.

As I park myself in the same seat as before in 12A, I noticed such disgraceful behavior from a female passenger in Business Class in 14D.
The old saying is definitely true “Money can’t buy class” and sadly the old attitude back home hasn’t changed either “I have money, I can do anything I want!”

The “Da – Lu” lady in her upper 50s to low 60s y.o proceed to enjoy her time while the plane was still on the ground.

The seat in front of you is for your magazines, not your legrest

I’m done with the newspaper thanks, I’ll just throw it in the seat in front of me, LITERALLY!

And above all, just after take-off, I’m cold, you have a spare blanket, I’m taking it.
Seriously, you can’t ask the FA instead just grab the blanket off 12C which happened to be empty.
Ugh!!!

Now, the crew was still good as prior and was serving a lot quicker than as the short 1 hr 21 mins to HKG gives little leeway to finish the service.

CX 451 TPE – HKG Dinner

Starter
Smoked Salmon with honey mustard potato salad

Main Courses
Steweed pork belly with scallion, steamed rice, green beans, carrot and black mushroom

Pan-fried chicken with marjoram red wine sauce, boiled new potato with parsley, cucumber and pepers

Dessert
Pumpkin pudding with coconut milk

And with the short flight to HKG, the trip to Tokyo is over and time to head back to North America for a final semester.

Next Part
Part 8 – Rectifying a bad mistake Cathay Pacific “Cirrus’ Business Class, HKG-LAX
Old Jul 24, 2012, 1:58 pm

Programs: BA silver, Hyatt PLT, AA EXP, US silver, ICH RA, CO PLT
Thanks for the great TR!
In regards to your comment about kids, I don't know you but from your writing style you seem to be quite young (right?), you hate kids that are misbehaved yet I am sure some 40 year old may say that they hate kid talking about you taking numerous pictures in F probably standing in the middle of the cabin...
Just saying :-)
Old Jul 25, 2012, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by david-alexis
Thanks for the great TR!
In regards to your comment about kids, I don't know you but from your writing style you seem to be quite young (right?), you hate kids that are misbehaved yet I am sure some 40 year old may say that they hate kid talking about you taking numerous pictures in F probably standing in the middle of the cabin...

Thank you, hope you've been enjoyed my writing and photography

Whether or not I am young depends on who's perspective are you looking from.
Some might still see me as a young-uns, while other may just see me as wringly old.
All in the eyes of the beholder

The reason I might not like kids simply because their parents do not exercise any parenting controls on them in public area.
I doubt most of us here would love a running kid right in front of them at the airport either.

As to photos in F, there is a methodology I do use as all times that minimizes conflict.

First to board, yes I will be a premium gate lice at those times.
No flash during any time ever, be it in the lounge or on the plane
No direct intent and do not take photos of others directly, facially anyway.
And desist taking cabin photos except around your own seating area when others start boarding.

Of course, the above tactic does not always work.
At the end of the day, some passenger simply feel you have no place in 3 Class First
Old Jul 28, 2012, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Part 8 – Rectifying a bad mistake Cathay Pacific "Cirrus" Business Class, HKG-LAX

The Third Section of the trip reports covers Part 8 – 12 which are the first set of Mileage Runs, Jan 4 – 8
(HKG-LAX-BNA-LAX-DFW-MCI-ORD-LAX-DFW-OMA-DFW-ORD-BUF)

I originally booked 3 days of MRs in October since Southwest fares was matched by most other carriers and hence the 3 days MRs to BNA, MCI, OMA. I also built in 2 day time turns in MCI, OMA just to visit cities you might otherwise never visit in your lifetime.
The CX HKG-LAX leg was the reposition leg back to North America for the last term of college.

Jan 4, 2012 – Wednesday
CX 880 HKG – LAX 11:45pm-8:15pm (77W/J)

With an irregular connection at HKG today, I am part-time HKG based overall. Definitely felt odd to be connecting instead of heading home. This leg was for me to reposition back to North America and to LAX to start my original 3 day Mileage Run.

With a gate arrival at 25, a short walk back to the checkpoint near Gate 1, 10 mins and back airside and into the CX Wing where it will soon be renovated.

It was somewhat packed as expected due to the red-eye rush to Europe, Australia and to North America.

A cabana wait of 20 mins was needed and sadly this place is starting to get worn out but a March renovation hopefully will be nice.

With the food eating, shower, and some last minute emails, I was at the exclusive US security checkpoint for Gate 3/4 about 40 minutes out. Thankfully there is a premium lane for the secondary check and a similar fashion for the boarding process.
Being an early January flight, this flight was 100% packed.

For anyone needing a refresher why most people do not like the Old CX Business Class, it isn’t called the coffins or fishbone for nothing.
It’s too narrow to read newspaper, hard to see out of windows, couples can’t see each other, and the cloth material seems to worn out easily as well.

*5th flight, 10962 Miles flown this year
Cathay Pacific Airways 880
Hong Kong to Los Angeles
11:45pm – 8:15pm, 12 hr 30 min flight
Business Class, Seat 11A
Food – Dinner, Snack/Brunch
Equipment – Boeing 777-300ER “Cirrus” (6F/53J/238Y)

Despite not being on my usual Gate Lice behavior due to my lateness leaving the lounge, I was still lucky enough to get a photo of the Mini Cabin of the new Cirrus seats.

Cathay Pacific Boeing 777-300ER “Cirrus” Business Class Cabin

Cathay Pacific Boeing 777-300ER “Cirrus” Business Class Seat

Luckily I had boarded early, it had given me a lot of time to try out all the features of the new seat. I really liked the new storage area where you can store assortments in them, the shoe cabinet underneath the seat you’re on, the view, its actually pretty easy to see outside again. The huge side table is also good so you can put your drinks or snacks on without easily being knocked over and the storage area under the side table can also stored a lot of stuffs. Simply put, this new seat uses all the space rather nicely.

About a 5-7 min departure delay due to boarding delays, some rain and about a 20 min wait before takeoff, finally made our ways across the Pacific.

Flight time of 11 hours 35 mins to Los Angeles

The supper service started quickly as it was already 12:40am HKG time, CX operates a full and quick supper service for red-eye service

CX 880 Supper

Starter
Oven-dried cherry tomato salad, Italian X.O marinated prawns and citrus vinaigrette

Main Course
Sauteed beef with assorted mushroom in oyster sauce, steamed rice and jade melon with red medlar seeds and garlic

Braised duck leg a la Boulangere, sherry wine, soy and parsley

Cheese and Dessert
Bleu d’Auvergne, Red Leichester, Taleggio
Fresh Seasonal Fruit
Chocolate and caramel mousse cake with vanilla sauce

Tea and Coffee

Pralines

Light Meal
If you would like to have a lighter meal before resting or later in the flight, we have prepared a menu for you

Mushroom cream soup
Mesclun salad with poached salmon and citrues vinaigrette
Fresh berries
Chocolate and caramel mousse cake with vanilla sauce

The crew tends to serve all the light meals prior to doing the full service.

Part 8 Continues Below
Old Jul 28, 2012, 4:12 am
Original Poster

I wonder if I’m the only one but I absolutely hate jade melons myself, thankfully the food wasn’t as bad as some CX J food seen recently. And by the time the service was completed, it was 2:30am, time for Zzz…..

As I previously stated, I love these long red-eye flight since you get to sleep and also enjoy the entertainment and also the food in some cases. This flight was a bit odd as I slept over 8 hrs, oops

CX 880 Snack
Pan-fried beef skewer on cheese and spring onion potato cake with tomato relish
Soya duck and preserved sweet vegetable in rice vermicelli soup
Haagan-Dazs Ice Cream

Only had time for the noodles

The sun sets again on this flight as it crosses the Pacific

CX 880 Brunch

Starters
Orange or apple juice
Forest berry smoothie
Fresh seasonal fruit
Fruit yoghurt
Assorted cereals

Main Courses
Sun-dried tomato and feta cheese frittata, pan-fried potato cake with cheese and spring onion, maple turkey sausage, creamed spinach and vine ripened tomato

Dim sum with chilli sauce
Pork siu mai with crab roe, preserved vegetables crystal dumpling, shrimp dumpling, mini glutinous rice wrapped in lotus leaf

Blueberry pancake with veal sausage and vine ripened tomato

Bread Basket
Asoorted breakfast bread
Served with preserves, honey and butter

Tea and Coffee

With a rather good tailwind, the plane got parked at 8:01pm at Gate 103 and with a 45 min wait at immigration at TBIT, finally got to the overnight hotel at the Four Points LAX around 9:30pm. Time for yet Zzz…

Next Part
Part 9 – Where’s the BBQ? Kansas City, Missouri
Old Jul 28, 2012, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Back home and catching up on your great reports. Man, you sure are cranking these out. This is so un-Francis like.
Seriously, great pics and great report! ^
Old Jul 28, 2012, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO777
Back home and catching up on your great reports. Man, you sure are cranking these out. This is so un-Francis like.
Seriously, great pics and great report! ^
I think its alot easier to write them at home vs. being whipped by thesis partners, or professors
Not all the pics turned out as good as I would like, now when are we going to see the next SFO777 TR?
Old Jul 30, 2012, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Part 9 – Where’s the BBQ? Kansas City, Missouri

A early wake up at 7:00, a breaky at the BK across the street and almost ready for the to the 1st of 20 legs this week for mileage running.
Yes, when I MR, I am a nutter

Jan 5, 2012 – Thursday
AA 1974 LAX-BNA 11:40am – 5:10pm (738/F)
AA 1307 BNA-LAX 6:25pm – 9:05pm (738/F)
Jan 6, 2012 – Friday
AA 2404 LAX-DFW 1:05am – 5:55am (738/F)
AA 1026 DFW-MCI 6:40am – 8:10am (S80/F)

Those red jackets are really good at LAX at keeping the Coach people and Paparazzi out

No line at the LAX premium lane as usual, this was around 10:15am, no nudies yet at premium security thankfully, hmm, hot college chick right in front of me too at the premium side. Did I hit the jackpot? Head over to the AC for about 40 mins and she’s still in front of me heading to the same place. What is going on?
Head down to gate 40 and she’s there at the gate, can’t be seated in first right?
Hell, she ends up getting 3F, dang it why didn’t I nab 3E instead of 3B

American Airlines Boeing 737-800, will be seeing you ALOT this month

*6th flight, 12754 Miles flown this year
American Airlines 1974
Los Angeles to Nashville
11:40am – 5:10pm, 3 hr 30 min flight
First Class, Seat 3B
Food – Lunch
Equipment – Boeing 737-800 (16F/132Y)

On time pushoff, flight time of 3hr 32 mins due to eastbound headwinds
The LAX based crew does the full turn at Nashville today, and thankfully the flight had GoGo, think this is the first time my travels are so busy making it worth to get a month pass.

AA 1974 Lunch

To start
Warm Mixed Nuts

Sides
Pita chips with hummus is served with the Chicken Club Salad
A bag of Mrs Vickies Chips is served with the Cheeseburger

Main Course
Chicken Club Salad
Grilled Chicken on Mixed Greens served with cherry tomatoes, feta cheese and Creamy Ranch dressing

Or Cheeseburger
Juicy beef patty burger served with lettuce, tomatoes and pickles with condiments of mustard, mayonnaise and ketchup. A bag of Mrs. Vickies chip

Dessert
Freshly baked on board cookies (Chocolate Chip)

Went with a safe choice today, Cheeseburger isn’t the best food to eat while I’m on a MR, and for other purposes. Some computer surfing and some Zzz…
Still jet lagged from Tokyo apparently.

With the very strong headwind eastbound, can’t believe I said that, didn’t get into Gate at 5:41pm with a departure back to LAX at 6:25pm. AA can’t turn a plane in 40 mins right?
As I promised, the #1 FA saved me a Chicken for the flight home and I got her sweet potato fries at the Concourse.

Even had time to jolt into the Nashville AC, and even time to grab a Southern Sweet Tea

Nashville Admiral’s Club

Head back down to C2 around 6:00pm and boarding was just about to start, hmm, the FA were right, those BNA cleaners sure are quick to turn the plane around

*7th flight, 14546 Miles flown this year
American Airlines 1307
Nashville to Los Angeles
6:25pm – 9:05pm, 4 hr 40 min flight
First Class, Seat 5B
Food – Dinner
Equipment – Boeing 737-800 (16F/132Y)

First one to board, what a surprise for me
Potato fries for the FA and get settled in

Yes I ask the FA to give me a garbage bag to carry all the extra stuff around

Boarding finished in 20 Minutes, wow 20 mins and got pushed back on 6:23pm, turn towards runway 2R and back in the air towards LAX.
The heavy headwind on the way out meant a good wind on the way home, flight times of 3 hr 40 mins on 1307 BNA-LAX

AA 1307 Dinner
To start
Warm Mixed Nuts

Salad
Romaine Salad with grated cheese on Caesar Dressing

Main Course
Chipotle Chicken
Grilled Chicken Breast on pesto sauce sprinkled with chipotle powder and pepper served with carrots, green beans and white rice

Cheese Tortellini
Tortellini with chopped tomato, mushroom and onion bits on cheesy gravy sauce

Dessert
Raspberry Cheesecake
Baked Cream Cheese and Raspberry Sauce cheesecake on a pastry base

I don’t usually get double catered stations like BNA, PIT or FAT. But in this case, not shabby and the cheesecake is a good change-up vs. the usual pre-made sundaes on Mid-Con dinner flights.

More internet and more sleep, was very early into LAX, got in 25 mins early, parked at the gate at 8:38pm, scheduled time was 9:05pm.

Back into my home for the next 2 nights, LAX Admiral’s Club

Why did I book myself into 2404, the last flight of the night?
Thankfully it was on time

*8th flight, 15748 Miles flown this year
American Airlines 2404
Los Angeles to Dallas Ft. Worth
1:05am – 5:55am, 2 hr 50 min flight
First Class, Seat 5B
Food – Dinner
Equipment – Boeing 737-800 (16F/144Y)

Door closed on 0:55am, guess that’s something good on such a late and short red-eye, people board hella-quick to catch some sleep.

Nothing to remember much on this flight, no drinks, landed on time at C4 and headed over to A19 for flight to MCI.

*9th flight, 16208 Miles flown this year
American Airlines 1026
Dallas Ft. Worth to Kansas City
6:40am – 8:10am, 1 hr 30 min flight
First Class, Seat 3E
Food – Beverage Service
Equipment – McDonnall Douglas MD 80

Boarding started at T-30 and had a light load being a early flight from a hub flight, doors closed 14 mins ahead of schedule, can we keep up the tread AA!

Had some biscoffs and Iced Coffee on this flight

Part 8 Continues Below

Last edited by Short hair Francis; Aug 6, 2012 at 4:20 am Reason: Mileage Addition Error
Old Jul 30, 2012, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Beautiful Sunrise over the Midwest

Flying over MCI before turning back for landing

Another on time arrival, this time 18 mins into Kansas City. After helping Majuki with his flight meltdown since he’s was on a plane and thus unable to call AA. I took off for a half day trip in Kansas City, 8am – 4pm should be plenty of time. 62 degrees in Kansas City in January? What has this world come too?

First had to go back to the old TWA Headquarters

National World War I Memorial and Liberty Memorial

Took the elevator up to the top of the memorial which gives a wonderful view of Kansas City, don’t forget to ring the bell for service to get down from the memorial

Skyline of Kansas City, Missouri

I really enjoyed my time in the museum despite being of a WW2 geek myself, I actually spent 1 1/2 hr at a museum for one

By the time I was finishing touring the museum, it was almost 12pm and when you go to Kansas City, you have to go for barbeque!!!

Luckily Friendlyskies gave me the suggestion of Jack Stacks BBQ

Also went to Union Station to understand the Kansas City Massacre

With a quick day trip in Kansas City, time to head back to MCI for another flight out west then off to Omaha the next morning.
I wonder how many mid-con consecutive day Red-Eye I have to do to set a FT record?
Would 3 do it?

Next Part
Part 10 – Who said you need alcohol to black out? AA 889 ORD-LAX
Old Jul 30, 2012, 2:44 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Good call visiting the World War I Museum and Liberty Memorial. The WWI Museum is in my opinion one of the best war museums in the world.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
No line at the LAX premium lane as usual, this was around 10:15am, no nudies yet at premium security thankfully, hmm, hot college chick right in front of me too at the premium side. Did I hit the jackpot? Head over to the AC for about 40 mins and she’s still in front of me heading to the same place. What is going on?
Head down to gate 40 and she’s there at the gate, can’t be seated in first right?
Hell, she ends up getting 3F, dang it why didn’t I nab 3E instead of 3B
Pics or it didn't happen.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA, SPG
Originally Posted by iceman77_7
LoL
Old Jul 30, 2012, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
Originally Posted by david-alexis
Thanks for the great TR!
Having met Short hair Francis during my travels I can tell you he is a gentleman, not a kid. Your comments are inaccurate...
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CMK10
Good call visiting the World War I Museum and Liberty Memorial. The WWI Museum is in my opinion one of the best war museums in the world.
It was really good and normally I'm not a museum person at all.
Sadly the TWA museum wasn't open in January, or maybe I just couldn't find it

Originally Posted by iceman77_7
Originally Posted by Tony3021990
LoL
Oh come on, play nice
I haven't taken SFO777 Hot Girls Photography 101 yet

Originally Posted by SFO777

Oh, so that's what it says...

Originally Posted by wolf539
Having met Short hair Francis during my travels I can tell you he is a gentleman, not a kid. Your comments are inaccurate...
Thank You for the complement, I'm surprised I left a good impression at the HKG New Years DO.
Very happy to leave a good impression for other FTers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.