Trip Report: Welcome to Air India, Your Palace in the Sky

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2012, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat

Note: apologies for the awful photography - using a broken mobile phone's camera...

I promised to post an Air India trip report on another forum, and I figured I'd post it here as well so that those of you who have sworn off AI can see what you're missing:

Cut and Paste:

Since I was flying Air India from Hyderabad to Kolkata yesterday, I figured it would be as good of a time as ever to write up a report. And since I couldn't get to sleep last night, I found the time to write the report without sacrificing valuable vacation time as well.

The greatness of Hyderabad's airport is all taken for granted now that I'm living here. I barely notice the great access roads, the little conveniences which make such a big difference, or the beauty of the terminal anymore.

I arrive at the airport at approximately 9:30, for a 10:35 flight. Having forgotten my printout on the kitchen table, I go over to the AI airport office, where there is no line. I am quickly handed a printout of my itinerary with a smile. And for free. Jet Airways, please take note.

At 9:30, there is very little line for anything. No line for CISF officers checking printouts. No line for check-in desks. No line for security check. I love the airport when it's empty.

Check-in is a quick and painless affair. I hand over my printout. The check-in agent hands over a boarding pass. The best part was when he said, “Welcome to Air India, your palace in the sky.” Not “have a good flight,” the usual Air India line, or the grunt I usually get from SpiceJet agents. This little phrase shows clearly that even with all the tough times AI is going through, he still takes pride in his company. Normally, ground services are my least favorite part of AI. That doesn't apply today it seems.

I wander over to the gate, a bit early. I ask a gate agent standing at the desk what the loads are like.
“Executive Class is completely full, sir.”
“So many non-revs?” I ask in surprise.
“No sir, all 8 tickets are revenue tickets,.”
He gestures at the manifest sitting on the desk. I'm impressed – loads look to be good this flight.
“And what about economy?”
“There are 30 passengers, sir.”
Ouch. The aircraft is an A319 – which seats 108 passengers in Y. 30 passengers in economy is a 28% load factor. Not pretty. Even when you add in the J passengers, the load factor is 32%.
I look forward to getting a row to myself.
“Is it always like this?”
“No sir, usually on Monday and Friday this flight is full. Even for mid-week flight, this is very less passengers – usually there is at least 60 or 70.”
I sure hope he's right. This flight is surely losing lots of money today – if it happens every day, this flight definitely won't last.

It's a fairly routine day at HYD – apart from a lone SpiceJet cancellation, everything is running on time.

At 10:05 sharp, boarding begins. By 10:15, everybody has boarded. On my way down the jetbridge, I catch a picture of the aircraft, VT-SCH. She's a newer A319 in Air India's fleet.

The purser is standing at the entrance of the aircraft greeting passengers with a Namaste. The first thing I notice as I enter the economy cabin is the PTVs at every seat – I'm excited to check out AI's Thales i3000 system.

The cabin is looking nice and clean, but sadly empty.

For some reason, every seat is in a fully reclined position – FAs go through the cabin putting the seats to upright position.

Pushback happens at 10:20, 15 minutes before scheduled departure. Everybody is on board – there is no point in waiting.

The PTVs show a safety video I've never seen before.

I took a video of it as well – if you'd like, I can upload... You can probably find it somewhere on the web...

I look over the Safety card:

The in-flight magazine for this month's cover is Ladakh, an area which is supposed to be very beautiful. I'd love to visit:

Complimentary headphones are provided:

The IFE is incredibly impressive for a 2 hour flight.
There is a moving map:

Recent Hindi movie Jannat 2 (with English Subtitles):

Older Hindi movie, Adalat, also with English subs:

Hollywood picture Independence Day:

Lapataganj – Hai Khabar Garam Unke:

And a channel of Bollywood Music Videos (Mujhko Teri Zaroorat Hai – Jodi Breakers in this picture):

In addition, there are 12 audio channels available with various different programming.

The controls for the IFE is very convenient and intuitive:

After takeoff, the meal is served:

I'm going to miss this like crazy when I go back to the USA in August.

Samosa, Chole, Sandwich, Water, and Jalebi for dessert. Yum.

I polish it all off:

The meal also comes with a coupon booklet:

A nice way to try to go after sales in the air.

Midflight, I notice to my amusement that the seats have inbuilt coat hangers:

They really have thought of everything

Flight attendants come through the cabin every 20 minutes offering water bottles to passengers.

As we departed early, we also arrive early. It is almost disappointing to have reached my destination – for the 2 hours that I was in the air, AI was truly my palace in the sky.

Last edited by PVDtoDEL; Jun 22, 2012 at 1:18 pm
Old Jun 22, 2012, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Now that I've finished the trip report, some comments about this flight:
This flight was above average. That wasn't by design – I had planned to make a trip report out of this flight in advance, and AI chose a good time to deliver a great flight.
It was above average in a few ways:
  • It had the Thales i3000 IFE system, which sadly isn't fleetwide
  • The flight had a light load. On my usual route (AI 517/518 HYD-PNQ-HYD), I'd be extremely lucky to get a free middle seat next to me, forget my own row.
  • I didn't have to deal with rude AI/Airport/CISF (security check) employees. HYD is a great facility, but I've dealt with far too many rude and unhelpful employees at the airport. Usually, they aren't AI employees, but it still reflects badly in the flight

Assuming the incredibly low load was normal, AI needs to seriously rethink continuing service on this route. However, maybe the gate agent was right and this was an unusually low load... I trust AI to do their job of route planning – I'll just enjoy my flight
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i would suggest reducing the size of the pictures....because of the larger pictures its a little difficult to read the report on firefox with all the advertisements shifting to the middle....
Old Jun 22, 2012, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keyser
i would suggest reducing the size of the pictures....because of the larger pictures its a little difficult to read the report on firefox with all the advertisements shifting to the middle....
Yeah, I just realized that myself... I'm working on it - will probably take 10-15 mins...
Old Jun 22, 2012, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Done
Old Jun 22, 2012, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; SGH-T959V Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Thanks PVDtoDEL. Now I can see the pictures as well as your comments.
Since my jalebis look far better tjan AI's, it still sucks. It's a piece of $hit. Ot even forced poor innocent Jet Airways to behave like Air India does. It needs to be shuy down and buried on concrete, before it can infect newer inexperienced aielines.

Last edited by Yaatri; Jun 22, 2012 at 2:01 pm
Old Jun 22, 2012, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Done
much much better....

unfortunately i don't see anything in your report that would make me want to switch to ai from another airline....also, the jalebi in the picture looks quite disgusting....not sure how it tasted though....

i have a unique opportunity in a few months time....i will be flying del-lhr in ba first, bru-bom a week later in 9w first & finally bom-del a day later in ai first....this would be the first time i will be flying first class on 3 different airlines on the same trip....will definitely take some pictures & try to come up with a good report to show the differences between the 3....
Old Jun 22, 2012, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; SGH-T959V Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Done
much much better....

unfortunately i don't see anything in your report that would make me want to switch to ai from another airline....also, the jalebi in the picture looks quite disgusting....not sure how it tasted though....

i have a unique opportunity in a few months time....i will be flying del-lhr in ba first, bru-bom a week later in 9w first & finally bom-del a day later in ai first....this would be the first time i will be flying first class on 3 different airlines on the same trip....will definitely take some pictures & try to come up with a good report to show the differences between the 3....
That would be unique indeed.
Now you know if you fly Air India, you have to BYOJ.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Jalebi looked disgusting, but tasted quite alright. A common theme in airline food..

unfortunately i don't see anything in your report that would make me want to switch to ai from another airline....
The trip report wasn't meant to make you want to switch carriers. It was just to show that AI is hardly the horror many people make it out to be on this forum.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yaatri
Now you know if you fly Air India, you have to BYOJ.
i know....luckily i will be flying ai from bom so byoj should not be a problem....
Old Jun 23, 2012, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
AI is a great carrier in terms of their onboard service and I appreciate your report. It's a shame the AI management is so corrupt...they are ruining a great airline.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 4:29 am

Programs: NZ, QF
Like your picture on the inflight magazine. Never knew Ladakh but will definitely do some research in this region. Would love to visit :-:
Old Jun 23, 2012, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KeepDiscovering
Like your picture on the inflight magazine. Never knew Ladakh but will definitely do some research in this region. Would love to visit :-:
ladakh is amazing....definitely one of my favourite places in india....
Old Jun 23, 2012, 9:40 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Thanks for sharing.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:53 am

Programs: AA, DL, LH
Very nice report! I flew 9W and 6E this winter, but I wish I had flown AI! I must agree that from my AI experience ORD-FRA, it is not a horror show, just another airline flying the skies.
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.