Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

AA flagship service JFK-SFO in first (3 class)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2012, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Advantage Gold, Rapid Rewards A list, Sky Miles Gold Medallion, Hilton Honors Diamond

For my experience in 2 class first on the SFO-JFK trip a couple months back look at my trip report below:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...t-2-class.html

For my outbound trip on this trip: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...-aa-first.html

November 9th
Flight 177 JFK-SFO
Depart 5:55 PM Arrive 9:10 PM

First of all, WOW I was blown away by the 3 class AFS service. The cabin was filled 9/10 seats taken and 2 flight attendants dedicated to first class (I am not sure how many they had in business or coach but I was shocked by the 1:4.5 ratio).

Boarding: First class was allowed to board first, before Priority AAccess, etc. after the pre-boarding group.

My only complaint for the whole flight was that my seat (3D) was used as a way for people to cross the plane (there is no space in the galley for people to cross the plane so 2 and 3D are used for this). It really was not that big of a deal, it is just that my flight was so great I had to find something to complain about!

Our two flight attendants offered anything from the bar for a PDB. The purser was in the galley for most of the flight while the other FA served the cabin. We were offered menus immediately:

IMG_1615 by zgscl, on Flickr

IMG_1616 by zgscl, on Flickr

IMG_1617 by zgscl, on Flickr

IMG_1618 by zgscl, on Flickr

IMG_1619 by zgscl, on Flickr

IMG_1620 by zgscl, on Flickr

IMG_1621 by zgscl, on Flickr

IMG_1622 by zgscl, on Flickr

IMG_1623 by zgscl, on Flickr

IMG_1626 by zgscl, on Flickr

Ctd below
Old Dec 21, 2012, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Advantage Gold, Rapid Rewards A list, Sky Miles Gold Medallion, Hilton Honors Diamond
Before departing, the FAs offered blankets

IMG_1613 by zgscl, on Flickr

IMG_1614 by zgscl, on Flickr

The seats were very comfortable (although I prefer the NGBC found on the 767-300) pictured on the SFO-JFK trip report.

IMG_1606 by zgscl, on Flickr

IMG_1608 by zgscl, on Flickr

IMG_1609 by zgscl, on Flickr

IMG_1610 by zgscl, on Flickr

IMG_1611 by zgscl, on Flickr

Seats from business class on the 762.

IMG_1607 by zgscl, on Flickr

Continued below
Old Dec 21, 2012, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

FAs came around to take orders for the main course (before take off) and asked if I would like a personal entertainment unit. This was an odd flight so the orders started in the back. The orders were taken in the following order:

3 AB, 3D, 3HJ, 2HJ, 2D, 2AB. I listened into the meal orders and the only passenger who did not get their first choice was seated in the 2AB seats and the FA was able to get a steak from business class for them. I don't know if they over stocked anything at all because they had everything except the steak available (although that could just be because there were 9 people instead of 10 in first).

After take off, the FA came around with our drink orders and AA's signature warm mixed nuts and a marinated cheese antipasto appetizer.

IMG_1629 by zgscl, on Flickr

The FA also brought around the Samsung Galaxy Tablets and headphones at this time.

After refreshing the beverages a few times, the FA brought a tray with a base plate (and pulled out a hidden pull out tray for the galaxy tablet).

IMG_1631 by zgscl, on Flickr

IMG_1632 by zgscl, on Flickr

Next the FA came by with the prosciutto garnished with parmesan cheese and cantaloupe puree which was good.

IMG_1633 by zgscl, on Flickr

Next, the FA came through with a cart for the salad which was a very elegant service.

IMG_1635 by zgscl, on Flickr

IMG_1636 by zgscl, on Flickr
The salad was made from the cart and I choose to have it with the chicken breast and the sour cream and herb dressing. The salad was phenomenal.

A picture of the salad cart mid-way through the salad service.

IMG_1637 by zgscl, on Flickr
Old Dec 21, 2012, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

After clearing the salad plates, the main course was served. I had the Beef Filet with Froyot Sauce (also very good).

IMG_1638 by zgscl, on Flickr

After the dinner service, the FAs offered water bottles

IMG_1639 by zgscl, on Flickr

Then the desert service (sundaes also served from a cart and made to order).

IMG_1640 by zgscl, on Flickr

As if I needed to eat any more, about an hour and a half before landing the FAs served warm, freshly baked cookies which were great!

IMG_1641 by zgscl, on Flickr

AA's sparkling water with lemon.

IMG_1646 by zgscl, on Flickr

The two flight attendants were very courteous and addressed us all by last names. The service was non stop. They came through refreshing beverages throughout the flight and were always available. I did not have to lift a finger.

I was absolutely blown away by how great AA's service was.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Nice TR! I'll be flying this myself in the spring, so good to get a pleasant reminder. It's been years since I last flew it.

A bit surprising that folks cross over the middle seat in row 3, but so it goes.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Nice TR! I'll be flying this myself in the spring, so good to get a pleasant reminder. It's been years since I last flew it.
A bit surprising that folks cross over the middle seat in row 3, but so it goes.
+1
Were pax (3HJ) or FAs using your space as a walkway?
I would haven't have put up with that. A strategically placed carry-on would have stopped the traffic. That Capt. Kirk seat is pretty exposed. You also get beat up during the boarding process. Fortunately, my most recent JFK-SFO flight earlier this year was only 5/10 so I was able to move over the 3AB and had both to myself.

Great report with some good pics. Thanks for posting!
Old Dec 21, 2012, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

It was pax. I think next time I might put my foot rest or something up. Unfortunately there is no other way to cross as the galley curtain is closed in F so everyone on the right side of the plane from F, J and Y had to cross through. The FAs always went around through the galley which was appreciated. They even went around to pick up my dirty glass which was on the opposite side of the seat (I would have gladly handed it to them).
Old Dec 21, 2012, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zgscl
It was pax. I think next time I might put my foot rest or something up. Unfortunately there is no other way to cross as the galley curtain is closed in F so everyone on the right side of the plane from F, J and Y had to cross through. The FAs always went around through the galley which was appreciated. They even went around to pick up my dirty glass which was on the opposite side of the seat (I would have gladly handed it to them).
I've generally had good service on those 3 class flights. But occasionally, there are inexplicable lapses in judgement.
The upside of your 9/10 cabin is that the crew doesn't feel they can use the F cabin as a crew lounge, like on my last flight.

Old Dec 22, 2012, 7:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
I flew this recently LAX-JFK and thought it was positively horrible. Further reinforced my belief that AA should only be flown as a last resort.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I flew this recently LAX-JFK and thought it was positively horrible. Further reinforced my belief that AA should only be flown as a last resort.
As opposed to that joke that is United?
If you're talking JFK-LAX/SFO, you have 4 choices for premium cabin service.

Based on current offerings, my ranking is:
1. DL Business Elite (by a mile)
2. AA First
3. VX First
4. UA Business
5. UA First
6. AA Business
Old Dec 22, 2012, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Btw, are those pajamas I see with the blanket? It looks like the international F blanket + pajamas kit, not the usual JFK-LAX/SFO one (well, same pillow and blanket, minus the pajamas). Is this new or just miscatered?
Old Dec 22, 2012, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Hmmm... That menu offering was the exact same thing I had on my JFK-SAN flight a couple of weeks ago, minus the salmon option, and the marinated cheese thing you had with mixed nuts. The prosciutto appetizer I had was really overloaded with the stuff on the plate. I really like AA's AFS soft product the best. It's just the hard product that needs improvement. And finally that's going to happen.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Great trip report! I'm flying SFO-JFK on AA in F and have a hard time deciding between the 763 and the 762. You say the 762 3-class F service, but the 763 2-class F seat was better. Which would you choose if you had to pick one to travel on? Would I not get lounge access if I was in F on the 763?
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iceman77_7
Great trip report! I'm flying SFO-JFK on AA in F and have a hard time deciding between the 763 and the 762. You say the 762 3-class F service, but the 763 2-class F seat was better. Which would you choose if you had to pick one to travel on? Would I not get lounge access if I was in F on the 763?
762F and 763F are two different products and priced very differently.

762F is three class F and priced much higher than 763F. With only 10 seats, 762F is a smaller cabin, with more personal service, better seats than 763F and marginally better food. Usually gets you access to the Flagship Lounge at JFK and LAX, and AC in SFO.

763F is two class F. It is priced the same as 762J. IMO, I would always go with 763F over 762J... newer/better seat than 762J and quieter cabin vs. the near engine like vent noise towards the rear of the 762J cabin.

If I wasn't concerned with the price of my ticket, my ranking would be:
1. 762F
2. 763F
3. 762J
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Btw, are those pajamas I see with the blanket? It looks like the international F blanket + pajamas kit, not the usual JFK-LAX/SFO one (well, same pillow and blanket, minus the pajamas). Is this new or just miscatered?
No, they did not give us pajamas, but there were 2 blankets and a pillow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.