Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Hollywood to Bollywood, the long way: UA/Swiss/Thai 77W/Emirates A380 F + Singapore J

Hollywood to Bollywood, the long way: UA/Swiss/Thai 77W/Emirates A380 F + Singapore J

Old May 29, 2012, 9:59 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Amazing report! Your descriptions and photos are astounding. Although I do think you should post some photos of the Tour de Franzia!
Old May 29, 2012, 1:25 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Execellent TR my desi friend.

Wondering if I can put together something like this on miles and Avios?
Old May 29, 2012, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat
Great epic report!

I'm a rock climber and often have a backback or some sort as I board in first class. When I was younger, I definitely would get looks and the occasional comment. I'm glad when the airline personnel politely ask in which class am I traveling. They are doing their job to keep first class exclusive. As for the fellow passengers who assume you are in the wrong place, just smile and ignore. It's a technique that will always win out.

A couple of years ago, I was teaching in Munich and had flown down to South Africa on Emirates in FC. The funniest moment came at the gate in Dubai on the way home when I ran into several of my students and their families who had spent the week there. The gate was chaos and the minute they called for the FC pax, I wished them a good flight. I didn't stick around for their reactions but I did hear whispers about it when I was lecturing the next week!
Old May 29, 2012, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
A lot less time this week, so I'm glad I got the good parts of the TR out of the way (still left are the LH Euro J and United "F" flight, but they were okay).

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
Superb report and photos amolkold. One of the best I've read on FT.^
Thank you Crampedin13A!

Originally Posted by vecta
Wonderful report amolkold, thank you for taking the time to compose. ^
Thank you vecta!

Originally Posted by dcmike
Amazing report! Your descriptions and photos are astounding. Although I do think you should post some photos of the Tour de Franzia!
That was a few years ago, so no pics (thank goodness), but I couldn't look at grapes for a few days afterward. The things we're able to do in our youth ...

Originally Posted by HMPS
Execellent TR my desi friend.

Wondering if I can put together something like this on miles and Avios?
Thank you HMPS! Avios would be tough, mostly because you can't find a non-stop OW flight from North America to India (you pay more for each segment you take). I burned most of my BA miles on a trip to South America since LAN doesn't have fuel surcharges down there. You could fly BA or CX to India on BA miles, but will pay incredibly high prices in terms of miles and fuel surcharges on both (BA's fuel surcharges might make a grown man cry). It's why I stick to *A for India trips, with some ST if I can find AF J space using DL miles.

Originally Posted by olafman
Great epic report!

I'm a rock climber and often have a backback or some sort as I board in first class. When I was younger, I definitely would get looks and the occasional comment. I'm glad when the airline personnel politely ask in which class am I traveling. They are doing their job to keep first class exclusive. As for the fellow passengers who assume you are in the wrong place, just smile and ignore. It's a technique that will always win out.

A couple of years ago, I was teaching in Munich and had flown down to South Africa on Emirates in FC. The funniest moment came at the gate in Dubai on the way home when I ran into several of my students and their families who had spent the week there. The gate was chaos and the minute they called for the FC pax, I wished them a good flight. I didn't stick around for their reactions but I did hear whispers about it when I was lecturing the next week!
Thank you, olafman! Means a lot coming from you, as I followed your grand yearlong epic tour around the world. Your TRs about South America, Easter Island, and the Emirates AKL-SYD flight were very helpful for this trip and my previous one. ^

After years on FT, I've realized just how people end up flying F, especially long-haul. Most are either not paying for it themselves or have worked hard to learn how to use their miles that way. Does it make us more special? Not at all. But the knowledge helps escape the unnecessary hubbub involved in flying nowadays.

Though I still have a few people who don't believe how I got this trip to work out ...
Old May 30, 2012, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
Great report amolkold! Wow, what a wonderful experience sampling such a wide spectrum of premium products. Totally envious.
My favorite pic was of the exact same amazing chicken rice meal we enjoyed at Maxwell Centre. ^

Originally Posted by amolkold

Chicken rice. That chili sauce is amazing.
Old May 30, 2012, 7:32 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
SFO O77

You can find Thai chilli sauce in US. Look for Sambal in Thai or Indian stores.

I spike mine with some great " Bhoot Jolakia " hot sauce.

launches you in an orbit. !
Old May 30, 2012, 8:17 pm

Programs: Princess Captains Circle, USA Cycling
Awesome report, cant wait to see the rest!
Old May 31, 2012, 2:09 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, AA Advantage
Wow what an amazing TR. I wholeheartedly agree with others who said this is the best TR of the year.

I haven't been back home to India in about 5 years, wouldn't mind seeing some India pics with your great photo taking skills.
Old May 31, 2012, 2:32 pm

Are you trying to make us jealous? Great trip report!
Old May 31, 2012, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO777
Great report amolkold! Wow, what a wonderful experience sampling such a wide spectrum of premium products. Totally envious. My favorite pic was of the exact same amazing chicken rice meal we enjoyed at Maxwell Centre. ^
Thank you, SFO777! When's the next CX F goodness? Of course, for you the goodness is the flight; for us, it's the ensuing TR.

Originally Posted by Angeleno228
Are you trying to make us jealous? Great trip report!
Thanks Angeleno228! Not trying, but if it is ....

Originally Posted by vpat48
Wow what an amazing TR. I wholeheartedly agree with others who said this is the best TR of the year.

I haven't been back home to India in about 5 years, wouldn't mind seeing some India pics with your great photo taking skills.
Thank you, vpat48! I have a few pictures of India but they're on a memory card that I left back there . Fortunately, I'll be back in less than a month and will likely update this then. No new TR, since that's in plain-old SQ Y (if SQ Y can be called plain-old ...)

Originally Posted by bikeNfly
Awesome report, cant wait to see the rest!
Thank you, bikeNfly, and welcome to FT!

Last edited by amolkold; May 31, 2012 at 10:27 pm
Old May 31, 2012, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Lufthansa 904, FRA-LHR (Euro J); London

As soon as my I disembarked my TG flight, the “fun factor” of this trip went way down. I’d have to overnight in FRA, hop on a Euro J flight to Heathrow, spend a (planned) 23 hours and 45 minutes in London, then get on a United flight to Los Angeles.

From the Holiday Inn Express Messe, there’s a bus stop just in front that goes to the main train station, and from there, a train to FRA. One thing that always confuses me about Europe is where and when I pay for public transportation tickets. I spent probably 20 minutes online trying to figure out the fare from hotel to airport, and even got exact change in Euros. At the bus stop, I got on with two locals who promptly sat down – no payment, no validation of monthly pass, no nein nada. Does anyone here pay for transport??

Once at the train station, I fought with the ticket machine only to realize it wouldn’t take my chip card. I ended up buying a ticket with the few coins I had, and I’m glad I did, because I would later find a tall, thick German lady barking at me on the train for my fahrkarte. Though once I figured out what she was saying, I got a polite “dankeschn” out of her.

Check-in was relatively easy at FRA, given the number of LH J passengers flying out of there (hint: it’s a lot). I wish I’d gotten my FCT PA’s number last month, if only I could call him up and sneak in today …

Anyway, after a long security line that would make LAX on Memorial Day blush, I went through to the LH Business Lounge. With no *G status at the time, the Senator Lounge was off-limits, though I found it funny that the line to enter stretched 15-deep when I passed by, only to get into the J lounge unhindered.

Questionable lounge food

Never too early for one of these ...

A bit of luck placed my gate right before the J lounge and I headed on down shortly before boarding to find the J line - the J line which didn’t exist. It was a mad free-for-all at the gate. Gate lice were being trampled. Star Golds were foaming at the mouth. DYKWIAs did not know who they were themselves.

I made it through. Unscathed. But only to find the largest business cabin I’ve seen on an A321, “business” being economy without a middle seat. It went back all the way to the exit row door 2L. I guess the 10am LHR run is mighty popular.

LH 904
FRA-LHR, 1h25m
Airbus A321
Seat 4F, Euro J

The sole highlight of the flight was catching a momentary glimpse of ANA's 787 parked at its gate, a bit too brief and distant for a good picture though.

Well, that wasn't really part of the flight, it was just part of the taxi. So I guess the highlight of the flight was breakfast, only because it was a short flight.

Canary Wharf (I think?)

Just my luck, the most interesting parts of the city are tiny and covered by clouds

After disembarkation, I made it to yet another long line, this time for UK immigration. I finally understand the horror stories of Heathrow immigration. It took about 30 minutes on this try, cutting down on the time I had in London. As I snaked my way to the front, I could hear immigration officers grilling everyone with a funny looking passport about their purpose of visit, address in the UK, who they were meeting, how many goats they owned at home. Maybe not the last one. So I walked forward with a bit of trepidation, and placed my blue passport down.

Immigration officer, looking at my arrivals card: “Just here for a day?”
Me: “Yeah. Continuing to the U.S. tomorrow.”
Imm off: “Oh, right then. Have a good day in London.”

A part of me wishes that immigration would give me a tough time now and then, but c'est la vie. I made my way to baggage claim and to the Heathrow Express, which I had gotten a coupon for that made it not that much more than the Connect. A quick trip to Paddington Station and a walk around the corner to the Quality Crown Hyde Park, just 8000 Choice Points (or a transfer of a few thousand MR points during a bonus period to top off my account) to save the 170/$260 every other hotel in London wanted. A decent steal for the number of points, and it's just behind the Hotel Indigo that many love for its location.

The rest of the day was spent in a city I hadn’t visited since I first got to know it almost a decade ago. The <24h connection rule really is amazing. A few pics ...

A long way from home. Though it did take a more direct route from HKG than I did ...

The flag and the flag carrier

Last edited by amolkold; Jun 5, 2012 at 8:25 pm
Old Jun 1, 2012, 1:21 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by amolkold
I spent probably 20 minutes online trying to figure out the fare from hotel to airport, and even got exact change in Euros. At the bus stop, I got on with two locals who promptly sat down – no payment, no validation of monthly pass, no nein nada. Does anyone here pay for transport??
Regarding public in Germany transport things can be very confusing (even for locals), because there are so many types of fares and tickets available and it is very hard to get the full picture re:which type of ticket you need. So don't worry, it even happens to me and I am German. Plus, depending on the type of ticket you don't necessarily need to validate it or show it to the driver - that's normal here. If someone passes the driver and sits down immediately it doesn't mean that this person does not have a valid ticket. To verify that we have on the spot ticket checks by transit personell and if they catch you without a valid ticket they fine you EUR40 I guess. If you are a repeat offender you will be charged and have to appear in court.

I hope this makes things a little bit more clear (at least from a local's perspective). Thanks for posting such an excellent trip report with so many phantastic pictures!
Old Jun 1, 2012, 9:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your TR in its entirety this afternoon (quiet day in the office before a long weekend courtesy of HM) - great photos and wonderful narrative. Well done.

^ ^
Old Jun 1, 2012, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
amolkold, thanks for the great detailed report. I've gotten quite a few ideas from this TR and your Easter Island TR for my upcoming trips. It's nice to see another recent college grad with the ability to do things like this.

You've officially made my "must read" list, alongside Seat 2A, SFO777, and eightblack.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 12:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cas_de
I hope this makes things a little bit more clear (at least from a local's perspective). Thanks for posting such an excellent trip report with so many phantastic pictures!
It does clear it up, cas_de, thank you!

Originally Posted by The scotsman
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your TR in its entirety this afternoon (quiet day in the office before a long weekend courtesy of HM) - great photos and wonderful narrative. Well done.

^ ^
Thank you, The scotsman. Enjoy the long weekend. We in the U.S. just had one, gotta love 3-day weekends ^

Originally Posted by harrison1186
amolkold, thanks for the great detailed report. I've gotten quite a few ideas from this TR and your Easter Island TR for my upcoming trips. It's nice to see another recent college grad with the ability to do things like this.

You've officially made my "must read" list, alongside Seat 2A, SFO777, and eightblack.
Thank you, harrison1186! I honestly think this is the best time for me to travel, before I get bogged down in "real adulthood" (I'm lucky to be working a job that requires full work weeks only certain months of the year).

It's humbling to be placed in amazing TR company as those 3. They're on my shortest of shortlists.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.