Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Part III NRT-GUM 04/26

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2012, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Part III NRT-GUM 04/26

So after arriving in Tokyo, all passengers must get off the plane. From the gate, one proceeds down a sterile corridor to the main arrivals concourse and then on to where transit passengers and arriving passengers split off. Transit passengers must reclear screening before going to the gates. There are elite and regular lines available. One thing about screening in Asia, they are so efficient, polite and civilized. They do not make you take your shoes or belts off and everyone wears white gloves. After screening, one takes the escalator down to the departures concourse. Departures area is like a high end mall with a smattering of duty free shops thrown in. Burberrys, Tiffanys, Coach just to name a few, along with a very expensive McDonalds. There are several state of the art smoking lounges in the concourse, if one opens the door the smoke does not escape into the concourse. Used the United Club just a smattering of snacks and some sushi, but the real crowd pleaser was the automatic beer dispensing machine. Lots of people lined up for Kirin beer.
Afterwards, time to go the gate.

NRT-GUM CO 7 73G Boarding group 1
Departure was from Gate 24. Even though your boarding pass says the published departure time, all the gates and monitors list departure 15 mins earlier, reason being is that is when the flight closes out. Boarding announcement made and the gate agents all bowed to the customers waiting to board. Didn't get a Premier upgrade on this segment as this was a continuation flight nor was I allowed to be placed on gate standby list for upgrade. However, managed to get moved into Exit Row seat 21X. No Channel 9 and the movie was Hugo. Dinner choice was fried noodles with pork or rice with meat sauce.
Flight was uneventful apart from some turbulence half way through the flight.
Then came the announcement: Sorry we don't have any Guam customs forms in English only in Japanese. You will have to fill them out upon arrival in the Customs Hall.
Upon landing in GUM, you could tell it was hot and humid by the windows fogging over completely. Disembarking into the jetway felt like walking into a oven. Arrived at Gate 16 and began the long walk to US CBP. After clearing immigration, you go downstairs to baggage claim. Managed to be one of the first ones down, so grabbing a customs form and filling it out was fairly quick.
My bag was one of the first ones off, handed off the form to the customs officer, who asked only one question: was I carrying any food products?
After that, into the hot and humid Guamanian night to pick up a rental car
Old May 4, 2012, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Next time you're in NRT, (since you're Premier Platinum, aka Star Gold) I would recommend the ANA Lounges rather than the United Club.

The ANA Lounge downstairs from the gate level near Gate 47 has a smoking lounge inside and much better food/drink options than the United Club.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.