Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

GUM-HNL Island Hopper March 23, 2012

GUM-HNL Island Hopper March 23, 2012

Old Mar 27, 2012, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by gonezen
If you had to choose the best seat on the flight, what would you suggest? For photos obviously.

On price, we paid about $2500 pp from ORD for a one week stopover in HNL, the island hopper, three day stopover in GUM (to take a look at SPN where my Dad was in WWII) and a two week stopover in MNLdirect back to ORD from MNL. Seemed like a reasonable price since it includes the GUM/SPN/GUM also.
Other TRs recommend the left side westbound. I wish I would have been on the right side GUM-HNL. For photos either in front or way behind the wings would be best.

$2,500 pp isn't bad for all that flying. I can't wait to read your TR. Safe travels!
Old Mar 27, 2012, 6:24 pm

Great report - very different, and definitely a milk run! Thanks!
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:11 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Wow - talk about isolation in some of those islands.

I especially like the White Ford F150 that's on one of the airport aprons. How many miles do you think it took to get that there, and how many miles do you think it gets on the clock every year? What do you even do with it when it finishes it's useful life... ???

Great to see the smaller places of the world.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Wow - talk about isolation in some of those islands.

Great to see the smaller places of the world.
^

This is exactly what I was thinking but couldn't put into words.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:06 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by Michael El
Other TRs recommend the left side westbound. I wish I would have been on the right side GUM-HNL. For photos either in front or way behind the wings would be best.

$2,500 pp isn't bad for all that flying. I can't wait to read your TR. Safe travels!
I did the westbound about three weeks ago, and I had the bulkhead on the left side. Definitely my seat of choice for the views given the winds we had. Side note: my island hopping trip was a part of an $800 RT LAX-MNL, so it can be done for cheap given the right dates.

My favorite picture from my trip (this is in the Chuuk group:

Chris
Old Mar 28, 2012, 2:53 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
What a trip! Now this is something you hardly ever see on the trip reports section! Thanks for sharing, as this is something I won't ever do but am curious about.

So one of those airports had non-working security that a UA gate agent had to wand passengers?
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Fascinating! I've always wanted to do this flight, dating back to the days when CO's Air Mike used to fly it with DC-6s and then 727-100s, also stopping at Johnson Island. For the time being, I sure enjoyed "flying" it via your nicely photographed report. ^^
Old Mar 31, 2012, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Yes - thanks for posting and documenting. It is already on my "life's to-do list". GUM is a Wikipedia Top 100 US Airport and thus I want to do it - but the island hopper - just a wonderful bonus.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:39 pm

thanks for the great TR. i was scrolling through the pics and my wife and I were all smiles remembering that trip a few years back. We flew from Guam and stopped to dive in Pohnpei. I still tell my friends about the hard landings and U-turns -- crazy!!

Brings back some awesome memories of wonderful people and great places in Micronesia.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 7:42 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed the report.
Old May 29, 2012, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Very nice, I did this trip over 20 yrs ago when CO was still flying the speical 727. I flew from HNL to GUM, I remember flying to amilitary base, we had to close all the shades (10 minutes before landing), and once the door opened, a armed guard entered the front galley, and if you weren't getting off the plane you didn't move (kepted seated), once everbody who was getting off the plane was off, they boarded the new pax's. The whole while one engine was running to run the A/C. Once everybody was boarded, guard left, door closed, engines started, and off we were go, the whole stop was under 30 minutes. we couldn't open the shades for about 10 minutes after take off. I remember 3 meal serviced on that route, it was roughly 14 hrs. I remember one island had a shell runway, some runways were very short, the 727 had extra flap controls to allow it to land and take off from these short runways.

I agree, it is an experience that should be done once.

I flew from guam to Manila to Hong Kong to HNL to LAX to SAN. Just thinkk of all those FF miles I would have gotten back then.

I flew it in the late 60's on the 727 and I think the other place they stopped was Johnston Atoll.

Last edited by iquitos; May 29, 2012 at 4:48 pm Reason: name of atoll
Old Jul 30, 2012, 8:28 pm

Passport stamps?

When you disembark at each island, can you exit into the non-sterile area and receive a passport stamp?
Old Sep 17, 2012, 1:48 pm

Michael:
Hubby and I have booked this Island Hopper for November 2012 - yay!
Doing it westward HNL-GUM, then down to Palau for diving.

Thanks for the idea and inspiration!
Old Oct 3, 2012, 9:57 am

Programs: UA Gold, AA MM/Gold, Hilton Gold, Sheraton Gold
My wife and I will be on the Island Hopper Wednesday, October 31, 2012. Seats 8 A and B. This is after a week in HNL, followed by four nights in GUM and two weeks MNL. Then back to ORD and winter, ugh!
Old Oct 3, 2012, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Thanks for posting a unique trip report! Our family was stationed in the Philippines and I can remember as a kid taking flights via GUM to Hawaii. Have read about the Island hopper for 20+ years and enjoyed your photos. It's on my bucket list but further down than other must do's.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.