Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific and Qantas First Class SFO-HKG-MEL-SYD-LAX including QF A380 First

Cathay Pacific and Qantas First Class SFO-HKG-MEL-SYD-LAX including QF A380 First

Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Hong Kong
Day 2
Lunch with Short hair Francis and his mom and dad

Apparently intent on setting a new two month and segment BIS record, ShF couldn't stand not being on an airplane for more than three days and decided to come home while we were in HKG... although sweating the wait for the ORD-PVG upgrade in a J0 cabin was almost too much for him.

Francis picked us up at the MO and we shared a taxi to the 'burbs and a famous local goose restaurant. What a great experience it was and a pleasure to meet Francis' lovely parents. We refrained from too much "flyer talk" and had a great time. And the goose was simply sensational. Thanks again Francis and to your parents! Enjoy the pics.

Group photo after lunch, well sort of.

Last edited by SFO777; Apr 7, 2012 at 6:38 am
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA5E
Oh wow, those photos of HKG were fantastic, made me feel that i need to go back again,to be honest have not been there since it became china, so that shows how long ago that was. The photos from the IC Bar were amazing. think you top everyones TR with all the super photos, maybe there should be a competition for the best TR photos. Keep it coming, and look forward to the next stage of your trip. ^
Thanks BA5E!

Originally Posted by PETER01
Amazing TR SFO 777 just like many others you have done. Very inspiring ^
I've been reading this one from the start. The clarity in your photos in incredible and lots of them too which I really, really like. ^
Thank you PETER01. I appreciate it. I'm enjoying your TR. That QF A380 cabin looks so much better than our awful 744 one.

Originally Posted by MrDplus
SFO777, Was that red car your ride in Hong Kong? I wonder how many miles would be needed to rent that car, if the possibility even existed. I'm looking forward to your comments on QF, because I'll be flying on the a380 F cabin, and would like to now what to expect.
Thanks for another great TR.
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
that ride was only for the boys going out on the town, I couldn't see Mrs. SFO taking a taxi why the boys were in the red car...
Yeah, I wish. It was one of those wow "look to me" cars, and "mid-life crisis" to boot.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 2:50 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
By golly, that Goose looks good.

Great photos so far.

Thank you.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 3:21 pm

Programs: QF P1 (OWE) LTG (OWS)
Originally Posted by SFO777

Thank you PETER01. I appreciate it. I'm enjoying your TR. That QF A380 cabin looks so much better than our awful 744 one.
Yes, QF F 744 glory days are long gone

Very sad as the 744 is a classic.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 7:47 pm

Programs: A few
This is another great trip report but those goose pictures... oh my lord... going to have to change my t-shirt as i am salivating... awesome!
Old Feb 24, 2012, 7:52 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by amaroo
Yes, QF F 744 glory days are long gone

Very sad as the 744 is a classic.
My first ever experience of real First Class was QF 744. Many years ago, when my company policy was J but J was not available so I was allowed to book F SIN-LHR. Having not been spoiled by CX F back then (in fact I had taken the really old CX J out which was not much better than domestic F ) it was a phenomenal experience. Of course the really sad thing is this is so long ago and I was so naive I didn't even collect the miles despite this being a 10k GBP flight!!!

Times have changed.....
Old Feb 24, 2012, 8:50 pm

Programs: QF P1 (OWE) LTG (OWS)
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
My first ever experience of real First Class was QF 744. Many years ago, when my company policy was J but J was not available so I was allowed to book F SIN-LHR. Having not been spoiled by CX F back then (in fact I had taken the really old CX J out which was not much better than domestic F ) it was a phenomenal experience. Of course the really sad thing is this is so long ago and I was so naive I didn't even collect the miles despite this being a 10k GBP flight!!!

Times have changed.....
I've just hopped off a Dom 744 sector QF 8 BNE-SYD on a J ticket but an F seat^

The cabin is looking very tatty, old & really a very poor excuse for a F class product.......lucky, we only paid J.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 12:40 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SFO777
Apparently intent on setting a new two month and segment BIS record, ShF couldn't stand not being on an airplane for more than three days and decided to come home while we were in HKG... although sweating the wait for the ORD-PVG upgrade in a J0 cabin was almost too much for him.
Now that seat2A just published his latest TR, should I even bother trying to write my albatross
His numbers are close to mine in terms on mileage.
He's got me beat on segments, I don't even want to try for that title
82 segments in 5-6 weeks time, and I thought I was insane
Couldn't stand being on a plane, lol
You know my thesis group will kill me if they ever saw that
Old Feb 25, 2012, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Qantas First Class Lounge at HKG

The QF FCL is located on Level 7 just to the right immediately inside passport control doors. Similar to the Wing, it is open on the mezzanine level overlooking Level 6 and departure gates 15-19. It is very spacious (actually larger than the Wing) and well appointed. Despite two departing 744s, there was ample seating for everyone without having to sit near other pax. The only negative here is the lack of direct access to the Level 6. Even though the Business Class lounge is immediately below the FCL pax have to backtrack to the shopping centre escalator/elevator before head to the gate. There appears to have been elevator access at one time, but it is no longer functional.

The pleasant lounge "dragon" explained that the lounge used to be a combined QF/BA but it is now a QF lounge, although presumably BA pax can still access thru OW. The BA logo is etched in marble and can't physically be removed until the end of the year when a complete make-over of the entrance is planned.

Not evenly remotely close to the food and beverage offerings at the Wing, but an adequate selection nonetheless.

Last edited by SFO777; Mar 15, 2012 at 10:20 pm
Old Feb 25, 2012, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Qantas First Class Lounge at HKG
...continued...

And one of the wait staff came around offering a very nice cajun shrimp/fried rice dish...

Cathay Pacific First Class Lounge
The Wing at HKG

After we settled in, I headed out to explore The Wing and check on the state of renovations.

No changes here...

But access to/from the Business Class Lounge and the elevators to the gates appears to have been eliminated with the addition of new room.

The dining room is wonderful as ever, with a beautiful selection of food...

I stopped to use one of the restrooms and found myself in one of the spa-type rooms. Interesting lay-out but seriously deficient in the ventilation department.

Last edited by SFO777; Mar 15, 2012 at 10:22 pm
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:54 am

Programs: FB, MM, QM, ES, KF & LP / HH, HGP & SPG
Great TR, waiting to read the last part..
Old Feb 25, 2012, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Gulf Air Falconflyer Gold
I fondly remember the Wing from last month. Didn't get any food but did get a very satisfying shower.. Can't wait for my next visit, with a longer layover and more relaxed look around.

Eric
Old Feb 25, 2012, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Excellent!

Excellent TR, SFO! I really am enjoying it!
Old Feb 26, 2012, 4:53 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Excellent, the food in the wing looked great, almost jumped out of my laptop and nicked some of it, was drooling. Also loved the photos at the goose restaurant. Look forward to next stage of TR^
Old Feb 26, 2012, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

QF 30
HKG-MEL
747-400
February 21, 2012
7:50P-7:50A (sked)
7:50P-7:45A (actual)
Seats 1AK

With no direct elevator access to Level 6, we had to walk all the way back to the central shopping area to use the escalator and then walk back to Gate 19 at the end of the terminal. Once at the gate, the good news was that there was indeed priority boarding, to the left of podium. The bad news is that it was nearly pointless, as with secondary security the GAs were letting Y pax go down the left lane so that there was a 5 minute wait for secondary security. Priority boarding my a--.

We were warmly welcomed on board by a great crew, but we entered the oldest, ugliest and most disgraceful excuse for a First Class cabin I have seen in ages. No wonder UA can survive and make money on LAX/SFO-SYD. What an absolute crap hard product. It looked like it hadn't been freshened in decades. How anyone would pay for this type of hard product is beyond me. And then there was the constant flow of pre-boarding traffic to the closet between our 1A and 1K. Yeah, I just love your butt in my face when you bend over to adjust something in the closet. And let's put a magazine rack in the closet door to encourage even more traffic.

Comfortable PJs...

Amenity kit...

PDB open bar including nuts and olives. Nice idea but... yo Qantas, how do I pick up the olives without using my fingers, and since I used my fingers, how do I wipe the oil off my fingers when you didn't give me another napkin?? @:-)

Prior to push-back, our friendly crew offered hot towels and menus. As PETER01 noted, the menu was quite impressive with a very nice selection of options, and a lovely cover...

With a celebrity consulting chef...

Interesting hand written note...

But only a continental breakfast prior to arrival??

Both the Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc were horrendous, but the 2004 Penfolds RTW Shiraz was sensational.

Last edited by SFO777; Mar 15, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.