Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific and Qantas First Class SFO-HKG-MEL-SYD-LAX including QF A380 First

Cathay Pacific and Qantas First Class SFO-HKG-MEL-SYD-LAX including QF A380 First

Old Feb 22, 2012, 6:36 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SFO777
Thanks Moomba. As best I can recall, the amenity kit contents are the same and have not changed. Thought of you today in MEL when we saw this.

Look closely at the banner...

Ah yes home sweet home, well at least until 12.5 years ago it was.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:51 am

I found FT many months ago, but only discovered the TR forum a week or so ago. I haven't read that many reports yet, but I have to say that if they are all of this quality, I am never going to get any work done again! Thanks for the fantastic read, and looking forward to the next chapter!
Old Feb 22, 2012, 1:58 pm

Programs: Scotia Points, Aeroplan, Nexus, Global Entry
Another great TR report. Look forward to the day i will fly F with CX, although i have 2 J trips upcoming with them so it isn't so bad. Looking forward to the rest.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 6:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, UA 2P
Another great TR SFO777, looking forward to the rest of this TR.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 7:54 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
3.5 for Qantas First???
What What happened?

Hope you are doing great in MEL & SYD
Old Feb 22, 2012, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Top of climb
879 is the flight number. F-A/12 inside the < > means it's the menu for the cycle February-April 2012. 1138F has me stumped, though I suspect the F is for First and the 1138 is a unique menu code assigned to this menu.
I have a feeling that the 1138 is indeed a unique code, but for that specific page only. If you look on adjacent pages the number changes.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Mandarin Oriental Hotel
Hong Kong

What a wonderful hotel with amazing staff. Great location near Statue Square and both Central and Hong Kong MTR stations.

How cool is this? A cigar lounge.

We had a Deluxe Harbour View on the 17th floor.

The bathrooms are a little dated but very functional. Great shower and cool in mirror TV.

With great views of Kowloon.

Last edited by SFO777; Mar 15, 2012 at 9:55 pm
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:37 pm

Another awesome trip report!
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hong Kong
Day 1

While Mrs. SFO enjoys a leisurely morning at the MO, the boys head out to explore the sights of Hong Kong starting with a walk through Central to The Peak Tram.

Off to The Peak Tram.

And the boys' consensus pick for the most beautiful "photo" of the morning, day and trip.

Off to Central Station for the MTR ride to Big Buddha.

On one of the cleanest subways in the world.

Last edited by SFO777; Mar 15, 2012 at 10:05 pm
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zookeeper
I found FT many months ago, but only discovered the TR forum a week or so ago. I haven't read that many reports yet, but I have to say that if they are all of this quality, I am never going to get any work done again! Thanks for the fantastic read, and looking forward to the next chapter!
Thanks so much zookeeper, glad you are enjoying.

Originally Posted by jv66
Another great TR report. Look forward to the day i will fly F with CX, although i have 2 J trips upcoming with them so it isn't so bad. Looking forward to the rest.
Thank you jv66. I'm sure you will CX!

Originally Posted by millsdale
Another great TR SFO777, looking forward to the rest of this TR.
Thanks millsdale!

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
3.5 for Qantas First???
What What happened?
Lounge and crew were great, food was so-so, but... the ancient, ugly 744 cabin and old narrow seats were really weak. And 14 pax stuffed into the pointy end. Wow, no wonder UA can survive on the SFO/LAX-SYD routes.
I was thinking maybe I should have just gone with CX J on this one.

Originally Posted by WChou
Another awesome trip report!
Thanks WChou. No McNugget count this year?
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:54 am

Enjoying the report and pics thus far. Thanks for sharing.
I miss the sights of HKG.
Was it difficult to get 3 F awards on the same flight? Booked early on perhaps?
Old Feb 23, 2012, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by doesun
Enjoying the report and pics thus far. Thanks for sharing. I miss the sights of HKG.
Was it difficult to get 3 F awards on the same flight? Booked early on perhaps?
Thanks doesun! Actually it is not very difficult to get 3 or even 4 F seats on the flight. You just need patience and luck. Book in advance and you can usually find 2 F seats. Then you have to wait until the last week or so, when CX starts releasing additional F seats based on inventory. We booked 2 seats 8 months ago and then the third seat 6 days before departure.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 8:01 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Fantastic TR, so loved all the food on CX, gosh i nearly grabbed it off your tray. Look forward to the next installments.^
Old Feb 23, 2012, 9:12 am

Programs: Aeroplan
One of the things I like most about your reports, besides the well framed and in focus pictures, is the timely manner of your updates. I'm enjoying the armchair ride immensely. Keep up the great reporting!
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Great pics as always. If I may ask, why didn't you do the RC Hong Kong? Seems like place to stay (I'm staying in a Club Level room in June) but you can't go wrong with MO HK. Also, that property has a distinctive valet box feature to pass newspapers, shoe shine, etc which I didn't see in your photo.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.