Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific and Qantas First Class SFO-HKG-MEL-SYD-LAX including QF A380 First

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific and Qantas First Class SFO-HKG-MEL-SYD-LAX including QF A380 First

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2012, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
QF 11
SYD-LAX
380-800
February 28, 2012
3:00P-9:50A (sked)
arrived 9:30A (actual)
Seats 3A

SFOjr reports that the 380 was "awesome".
Also the cool presence of celebs today, Seal in 1A and "some famous model and her child" although he couldn't ID her. I'll give him an A for effort on his first set of inflight pics, but a C for being busted by an FA for overzealous cabin pics ("sir, please refrain from taking photos of the cabin. Our guests here don't like it.") and a FlyerTalk F- for actually DELETING the darn photos after he took them. Oh no, why do you do that? I don't know. I thought I would get into trouble. Oh well, he did take some good pics, courtesy of his new iphone 4S.

SFOjr also went for the tasting menu and wine pairing, although started with scotch. But no Johnny Walker Blue like on CX.

And kudos for not just tasting the wine but baby sitting each bottle. Way to go!!

Old Mar 13, 2012, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Continued...
QF 11
SYD-LAX

Breakfast.

His eggs sure looked a lot better than mine.

And we sort of saw him at LAX as his flight landed around 9:30A and was taxiing to the gate just as our LAX-SFO AA flight was pushing back from the gate.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 6:25 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SFO777
I'll give him an A for effort on his first set of inflight pics, but a C for being busted by an FA for overzealous cabin pics ("sir, please refrain from taking photos of the cabin. Our guests here don't like it.") and a FlyerTalk F- for actually DELETING the darn photos after he took them. Oh no, why do you do that? I don't know.
Sounds like Jr. needs more training, come on SFO777
You didn't give him Frequent Flyer and Trip Report 101? @:-)
Don't delete it, at worse, suggest to the FA, you will take the cabin pics during de-boarding so the celebs won't be bugged.
If you want to mouth off the FA, just said I paid as much as the celeb, its my right to take photos!
Old Mar 13, 2012, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis

... so the celebs won't be bugged.

If you want to mouth off the FA, just said I paid as much as the celeb, its my right to take photos!
No one was suggesting it was the 'celebs' inconvenienced. Why assume it was bugging them and no one else?

Celebrities are no different to any other passenger - who want space, privacy and a calm atmosphere.

My privacy is paramount to me, it would make me feel uncomfortable if anyone was taking pictures of anything but their own little pod or out the window. IMO it is not behaviour appropriate to the class of cabin. But YMMV.

Talking about money is equally vulgar.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 7:24 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by SFO777
Also the cool presence of celebs today, Seal in 1A and "some famous model and her child" although he couldn't ID her.
well I was about to suggest it might have been his wife Heidi Klum and their child (though Seal is not the paternal father) but a quick google suggests they are getting divorced so maybe not. but guess it is still possible they were traveling as family unit
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:48 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, IHG Spire, HHonors Diamond, EK Gold
Great report, and as others have said; you live well.

Not wishing to wander off topic......with regard to the "controversial" photos, I'd be disappointed to see them disappear from your reports. They may not be my cup of tea but I would hate it if all reports on FT had to cater to the sensibilities of those most easily offended.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by FinalCallDXB

Not wishing to wander off topic......with regard to the "controversial" photos, I'd be disappointed to see them disappear from your reports. They may not be my cup of tea but I would hate it if all reports on FT had to cater to the sensibilities of those most easily offended.
I think the issue was that if the OP is going to blur their faces for reasons of privacy, why is the same not afforded to others?
Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
Sounds like Jr. needs more training, come on SFO777
You didn't give him Frequent Flyer and Trip Report 101? @:-)
Apparently not very well.
Although in his defense, I do recall that when I first started taking in cabin pics, I was pretty apprehensive, hesitant and clumsy about it, and didn't know the least obtrusive times to do it.

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
No one was suggesting it was the 'celebs' inconvenienced. Why assume it was bugging them and no one else?
Celebrities are no different to any other passenger - who want space, privacy and a calm atmosphere.
My privacy is paramount to me, it would make me feel uncomfortable if anyone was taking pictures of anything but their own little pod or out the window. IMO it is not behaviour appropriate to the class of cabin. But YMMV.
I agree that I don't think it was so much a celeb thing as just a general intrusion for all pax. When I take cabin pics, most of those with pax are from the rear of the cabin where you can't see faces. And in most of my front to back, I try to wait until pax have turned away or are not that visible, although I do recall two notable exceptions, the MUC-SFO New LH F and the PKT-BKK TG pics, neither of which I realized until after the fact. Plus, given the height of the walls in suite type cabins, it is not too difficult to take pics of the entire cabin without seeing any pax.

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
well I was about to suggest it might have been his wife Heidi Klum and their child (though Seal is not the paternal father) but a quick google suggests they are getting divorced so maybe not. but guess it is still possible they were traveling as family unit
That was my first thought, but he didn't think it was Heidi.

Originally Posted by FinalCallDXB
Thanks FinalCallDXB.

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I think the issue was that if the OP is going to blur their faces for reasons of privacy, why is the same not afforded to others?
When I first started doing TR's, I did not blur any faces. Then Mrs. SFO asked me to blur her face. Since I (have to ) live with her, I thought it was smart that I comply. After that, I started being more sensitive to including faces of those I know unless they had no objection. Double standard? For sure. But IMO, one off, incidental pics of anyone in public places are fair game. I have seen one off incidental pics of myself in FT reports and it doesn't bother me.

Why do most of us here post under handles that do not include our names or identify ourselves? Presumably to add some degree of separation and anonymity. Some posts, especially 10 days of detailed trip reports, contain a lot of personal information. Personally, I'd rather certain people (employees, competitors, ex-wives ) not know the graphic, at times extravagant, details of my travels. That's a lot different that a one off pic of someone in a public place, IMO.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
SFO777... Would you like to adopt a child?

I am fully house trained, proficient in taking pictures onboard aircraft and am vey happy to be sent off to exotic places my adoptive parents... ^

References can be provided.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Gotta give you credit for taking some of the shots you did, particularly, the Sir mix-a-lot one . I would've never had the guts to do it

Kudos to the nice shots of meal pictures as always.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer
[QUOTE

/QUOTE]

No butts about it, SFOjr gets an atta boy for this picture. I count 3 glasses of the good stuff with the cheese course!
Old Mar 16, 2012, 2:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
SFO777 - what a wonderful report as can always be expected from you. Nice writing style and great pics.

I think you'd have to cart me off the plane at the other end if I got the opportunity to do wine wasting!
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM;*A Lifetime Gold; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; HiltonHonors Gold. Hyatt Globalist
SFO777, thank you so much for such a wonderful report. I was especially enamoured withe the SYD pics and commentary. IMHO, Sydney ranks as one of the most beautiful cities in the whole world. I absolutely LOVE that place.

Your report is fabulous. The photos are exquisite. Oh, how I wish I had enough miles to do F travel more frequently!

Please write more trip reports and allow those of us who are sadly not as fortunate as you to live vicariously through your wonderful writing.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
SFO777... Would you like to adopt a child? I am fully house trained, proficient in taking pictures onboard aircraft and am very happy to be sent off to exotic places my adoptive parents... ^
References can be provided.
LOL. I think I may be at my limit of dependents right now, but let me think about it. Does BA offer travel bennies to relatives? That could help.

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Gotta give you credit for taking some of the shots you did, particularly, the Sir mix-a-lot one . I would've never had the guts to do it Kudos to the nice shots of meal pictures as always.
Thanks BlissWorld. Hadn't thought about Sir Mix-a-Lot but now that you mention it. OMG, too funny. Truth be told, it didn't take a lot of guts. It was pretty easy to lean against the wall and snap away with my iphone, without anyone seeing. Of course, she did provide large natural blockage so not a soul could see what I was doing.

Originally Posted by TheAAdmiral
No butts about it, SFOjr gets an atta boy for this picture. I count 3 glasses of the good stuff with the cheese course!
Apparently I trained him well.

Originally Posted by stu1985
SFO777 - what a wonderful report as can always be expected from you. Nice writing style and great pics.
I think you'd have to cart me off the plane at the other end if I got the opportunity to do wine wasting!
Thanks stu1985. I appreciate it. I'm figure the more I drink the sooner I'll be able to think about challenging macabus.

Originally Posted by Brituchenite
SFO777, thank you so much for such a wonderful report. I was especially enamoured with the SYD pics and commentary. IMHO, Sydney ranks as one of the most beautiful cities in the whole world. I absolutely LOVE that place.
Your report is fabulous. The photos are exquisite. Oh, how I wish I had enough miles to do F travel more frequently!
Please write more trip reports and allow those of us who are sadly not as fortunate as you to live vicariously through your wonderful writing.
Thanks very much Brituchenite. You are most kind. We loved Sydney and hope to return someday.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
One of the nicest TR I ever read. Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.