Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways Envoy Suite Off-Peak travel to/from CDG

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2012, 7:50 am
Ambassador

Thanks for the report. ^

Presumably there was something more substantial available for breakfast on the CLT-CDG leg in addition to fresh fruit?
Old Feb 13, 2012, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Yes *G has many perks which are great, the best I like is *A lounge access on a international *A flight.

Originally Posted by snowfilmer
@QBK

I just called Lounge Services back to get clarification about that specific bullet point in the *A lounge access rules (Continental, United and US Airways Star Alliance Gold customers may only access the United Clubs and US Airways Clubs within the U.S. when travelling in conjunction with a Star Alliance international flight.) The woman I spoke with was extremely friendly and helpful.

I was told that all the rules under *G access are followed together, thus, one must be departing internationally from the local airport AND if you're CO, US, UA *G level, you have to be traveling on an international *A flight. If you're *G in another program, you can access the lounges even if you're not flying a *A flight, but for me (US Gold), I must be on a *A flight. J class service has no bearing on my access. The agent did acknowledge, however, that the wording is confusing, and as a result, some lounge employees will permit entry due to their individual reading of the rules.
For a positive that I've gotten out of this, though, is that on my next international flight, I'll have access to the lounge even if I'm sitting in coach.

Thank you everyone for your input, again. There's always something to learn about flying...
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: low and not enough
@BA304

There's also juice, water, coffee, tea, and espresso.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:30 am
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
@QBK

I just called Lounge Services back to get clarification about that specific bullet point in the *A lounge access rules (Continental, United and US Airways Star Alliance Gold customers may only access the United Clubs and US Airways Clubs within the U.S. when travelling in conjunction with a Star Alliance international flight.) The woman I spoke with was extremely friendly and helpful.

I was told that all the rules under *G access are followed together, thus, one must be departing internationally from the local airport AND if you're CO, US, UA *G level, you have to be traveling on an international *A flight. If you're *G in another program, you can access the lounges even if you're not flying a *A flight, but for me (US Gold), I must be on a *A flight. J class service has no bearing on my access. The agent did acknowledge, however, that the wording is confusing, and as a result, some lounge employees will permit entry due to their individual reading of the rules.
For a positive that I've gotten out of this, though, is that on my next international flight, I'll have access to the lounge even if I'm sitting in coach.

Thank you everyone for your input, again. There's always something to learn about flying...
Argh. To state the obvious, there's no clause in the *A rules for *G about "must be departing internationally from the local airport". But *A has consistently demonstrated that they won't force members to follow the spirit of the policies (SQ being an ostentatious example), so US will almost certainly get away with continuing to be stingy about this. Thanks again for all your legwork, snowfilmer!

Just to confirm... that followup response
J class service has no bearing on my access.
directly contradicts this previous one, right?

On the same call, I did ask about my upcoming trip (First, PHL-PHX-YVR) with regards to access, and I was told that even though it doesn't say anything about access, as a Gold member flying International First, I will have access to lounges in both PHL and PHX...
According to your latest call, it sounds like:
(a) First/Business doesn't have any impact, and therefore
(b) Lounge access is determined entirely by *G status, and therefore
(c) You won't have access in PHL, since you're not departing internationally from it.

Right?
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:07 am
Original Poster

That seems to be the case. When she said that I would have access on my flight to YVR, it did seem as though she sort of made that up. She put me on hold to double check, and when she came back, the "general consensus" was that I would have access, and should I have problems at the airport, have the lounge agent call Lounge Services directly for clarification. Basically, I think we're back where we started.

Overall, it seems to me that the lessons are: (1)if you can make some sort of plausible argument that you should be allowed in, make it at the lounge, though YMMV. (2) the only way that you won't get hassled at all as US, UA, CO *G or higher is to have a day pass, Amex Platinum, or a membership, OR you're not in N America
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QBK
there's no clause in the *A rules for *G about "must be departing internationally from the local airport".
There is, sort of. It says you must be (1)traveling on a *A flight from the local airport, which would apply to my case
but the portion about US, UA, CO *G being required to travel "in conjunction with a *A international flight" can be read two different ways:
(A) how they read it, which would be that you're only allowed access when traveling on an international flight, which of course, would be departing from the local airport
or (B) how we read it, where the phrase "in conjunction with" applies to the itinerary we're on that day, not the next flight we'll be on. I think that is a perfectly reasonable and understandable reading, and in which case, the "local airport" clause would not apply.

All of this brings me back to my previous post and the lesson learned, which is to go argue your case, and if it doesn't work, perhaps there is a second (or third) lounge in the airport where they'll accept your argument. Also to have a copy of the rules printed out, so they at least know you've done your homework. It's all silly, but until they truly clarify the rules, it looks like this is option we're stuck with.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 12:10 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
There is, sort of. It says you must be (1)traveling on a *A flight from the local airport, which would apply to my case
but the portion about US, UA, CO *G being required to travel "in conjunction with a *A international flight" can be read two different ways:
(A) how they read it, which would be that you're only allowed access when traveling on an international flight, which of course, would be departing from the local airport
or (B) how we read it, where the phrase "in conjunction with" applies to the itinerary we're on that day, not the next flight we'll be on. I think that is a perfectly reasonable and understandable reading, and in which case, the "local airport" clause would not apply.

All of this brings me back to my previous post and the lesson learned, which is to go argue your case, and if it doesn't work, perhaps there is a second (or third) lounge in the airport where they'll accept your argument. Also to have a copy of the rules printed out, so they at least know you've done your homework. It's all silly, but until they truly clarify the rules, it looks like this is option we're stuck with.
Agreed, on all points.

Overall, it seems to me that the lessons are: (1)if you can make some sort of plausible argument that you should be allowed in, make it at the lounge, though YMMV. (2) the only way that you won't get hassled at all as US, UA, CO *G or higher is to have a day pass, Amex Platinum, or a membership, OR you're not in N America
Membership or day pass is clearly the optimal way to go. That said,
(i) Amex Platinum is only good for US lounges, not United Clubs.
(ii) *G with card and international flight departing from local airport should be (and usually is) a home run, except maybe at PHL Envoy lounge. Same with international F/J flight departing from local airport.
(iii) And, finally, as long as you have your *G card, the LH lounges in IAD and DTW should be a more or less sure thing, even on domestic itineraries. In theory, the same applies to NZ, AC, and other *A lounges at LAX, SFO, etc... but it's near-impossible to get to them without a ticket on that carrier.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
The last time I flew US Airways was not a positive experience. However, I was in domestic economy rather than international Envoy Class. Thanks for this nice report! ^^
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I would put US FC meal service on par with AS these days.

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
The last time I flew US Airways was not a positive experience. However, I was in domestic economy rather than international Envoy Class. Thanks for this nice report! ^^
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, PC Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Seats for 2 in Envoy on A330-200

Snowfilmer, thanks for the report! I saw your comment on mommypoints' blog and followed your link here. My wife and I just booked our tickets in Envoy for next February. It will be our first time trying USAir, too. We are connecting in PHL both ways. Tried the PHL lounge last September using our Amex Plat card, and thought it was nice and offered a lot more snack and drink options. I have researched seats on FT and Seatguru and checked with a few experts. Did the proximity of the gallery and lavatory bother you at all when you sat in the first row? Would you agree with another FTer's assessment of the following for a couple - (1) 2 seats across from an aisle (2) 2 seats in the middle (3) 2 window seats. Thanks!
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for sharing! Were the seats comfortable? They seem to be in an awkward position (pointing inwards).
Old Mar 31, 2012, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by blackmamba
Thanks for sharing! Were the seats comfortable? They seem to be in an awkward position (pointing inwards).
Yes, for a couple traveling together are the two middle seats uncomfortable for chatting together? Is it better to choose a middle and a window?

Also, I have flown with Kathleen on two flights (she is CLT-based, and many of the same CLT-based crewmembers are often seen over and over on these TATL flights). She never smiles and always seems miserable. I think she has become too complacent in her job and needs to work Y or take a non-customer facing role (FA trainer or something). She typically works Envoy due to seniority and like many other CLT FAs who fly TATL has been around for a long time (Piedmont days) and really destroys the recently upgraded Envoy product.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 7:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
I am a United 1-K (*Gold) and NEVER been denied lounge access
in any location when traveling on international * alliance flight. I have
used * alliance carrier lounges in starting, transiting airports in the
US and overseas. That includes United, US Air, and Continental lounges
in the US and overseas...
Old Apr 1, 2012, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by flyalways
I am a United 1-K (*Gold) and NEVER been denied lounge access
in any location when traveling on international * alliance flight. I have
used * alliance carrier lounges in starting, transiting airports in the
US and overseas. That includes United, US Air, and Continental lounges
in the US and overseas...
CLT will refuse lounge access unless you depart long-haul or arrive long-haul from CLT. They seem to make up their own rules.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 12:20 pm

Programs: NW, UA
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Wait a second...with a US c-card, it's only 55k miles roundtrip in J? Can you add a stopover? Is this rate applicable on *A partners or only on US metal?
60K for TATL in Biz? Really? Hmm.. I need to rethink my loyalty may be...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.