Wiki Posts
Search

A Smooch of Chicago and a Kiss of DC - LHR-ORD-IAD-LHR with United

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2011, 6:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Kevincm
This trip? Masochistic?
The 2am start to catch the LHR coach says it all.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 6:25 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Gatwick Alan
I always love your reports, a reality check for those lucky enough to fly in C or F.
Yes I find vicariously flying with Kevincm allows me to enjoy my stints up front much more.

Nice job as usual Kevin.

You need to go and edit your post 7 as you didn't bold the flight details and forgot to tell us where you were flying from and to.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Originally Posted by HIDDY
The 2am start to catch the LHR coach says it all.
Well, yes there is that. But it was more palatable than the £100 hotel or so + transit to get down to LHR...
Old Nov 7, 2011, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Moomba
Yes I find vicariously flying with Kevincm allows me to enjoy my stints up front much more.

Nice job as usual Kevin.

You need to go and edit your post 7 as you didn't bold the flight details and forgot to tell us where you were flying from and to.
Flying Kevincm can lead to laugher and giggling at my suffering too

Since we're nearing the end of Diamond Club time, there could well be some more premium flying before it goes bang. That's to come as I've entered the planning stage

Thanks Moomba.

And yes - edited Thanks ^
Old Nov 7, 2011, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Ha, the "Ghetto IFE system" was gold. Thanks for sharing!
Old Nov 7, 2011, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by econometrics
Ha, the "Ghetto IFE system" was gold. Thanks for sharing!
Glad you liked econometrics.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Great report ^
Old Nov 7, 2011, 6:24 pm

Great to see the re-appearance of the Ghetto IFE.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Me2E
Great to see the re-appearance of the Ghetto IFE.
Thanks Me2E. If I travel long haul, and it's bad IFE/non existent IFE, then out comes the GhettoIFE system again..

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Great report ^
Thanks FriendlySkies.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have really enjoyed your trip reports. I am sorry that I didnt find them sooner. I love the vids as well, a really nice touch. ^
Old Nov 9, 2011, 6:40 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Another amusing jaunt Kevincm - nice job ^

Crikey those US carriers really just do get one from A to B don't they - it really hit me reading this one that sure there are no "frills" to be had on board .

I haven't flown long haul Y for more than 10 years or so now & one thing your reports help me to do is continue to find ways to............turn left

Looking forward to the December extravaganza!

Cheers,
NoY
Old Nov 10, 2011, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by origin
I have really enjoyed your trip reports. I am sorry that I didnt find them sooner. I love the vids as well, a really nice touch. ^
Thanks origin. I'm glad the vid's are appreciated, and glad you enjoyed the trip report. Since I have a phone that's capable of doing a lot more, it makes sense to fill in some of the gaps in my travels

Originally Posted by NoY
Another amusing jaunt Kevincm - nice job ^

Crikey those US carriers really just do get one from A to B don't they - it really hit me reading this one that sure there are no "frills" to be had on board .

I haven't flown long haul Y for more than 10 years or so now & one thing your reports help me to do is continue to find ways to............turn left

Looking forward to the December extravaganza!

Cheers,
NoY
It's amazing how in 8 months things have changed from great crews with edible meals to.. what was being offered a couple of weeks ago. The frills seems to be cut away these days to just getting you there - which whilst is acceptable, is not overly acceptable at £475 return.

Long haul Y can be passable (see BA or AC when they have the right product aboard). US carriers seem to scrape the barrel. And then some.

Keep turning left. I hope to be in the near future (it won't be the Denver run sadly - that is already filling me with some sort of dread...)

Thanks NoY
Old Nov 10, 2011, 6:29 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Kevincm
[I]

Airfares fill me with constant wonder. Normally the wonder is replaced with madness very quickly. Locking down a “cheap” fare to Chicago was proving difficult, with the shock of the >£550 for an “Economy” return to Chicago in October at one point

Errmmm..... £550????

I’m sorry, even by my standards for a 8000 mile or less hop, that is close enough to extortion. As redemption seats were again non existent, I sighed and left the ticket engines for a couple of day.

Thankfully the madness abated slightly and the airfare dropped to £475 for a return ticket.

Pardon me, but £475 on a TATL hop in October is bordering on expensive. I suppose there’s a part of me who thinks anything more than £500 for a ticket is pushing their luck to put it blunt.
You need to realize that a significant proportion of those "extortionate fares" are payable direct to HM Government — yes, the APD (Air Passenger Duty) which can be 25% or even more of the total fare — and are thus outside the airline's control. Those flying from England are getting very fed up with being penalized in this way
Old Nov 10, 2011, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1MM; US PP; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Wegmans Shoppers Club; ExxonMobil Speedpass
Just one clarifying point -- the road from Dulles to Udvar Hazy isn't the Beltway, it's Virginia Route 28. It's quite solidly west of the Beltway, which is a Federal Interstate (#495) and circumnavigates DC, passing through Virginia and Maryland at various points.

http://g.co/maps/5hws6

This is why the locals find getting to Dulles from DC to be something of a nuisance; it's a long way, and there are no good public transit options, so you generally have to arrange a taxi or private transport.

twj

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.