Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Around the World on a Star - *A J RTW

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2011, 9:13 pm
`X'
Original Poster

Programs: QFF NB, DJ Gold, A3 Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver, Carlson Silver, A|Club Gold
Part 12 - Seoul to Hong Kong

Part 12 – September 1st 2011 – Seoul to Hong Kong

After spending a good amount of time relaxing in the Asiana lounge and inhaling a good amount of lovely broccoli that was on offer (and some nuts to, o how my tastes have changed, I headed out to explore Incheon airport. I wasn’t really wanting to do or see anything, just wander and see what was out there. The light was fading fast so photos were still not really possible but I took what I could. After making it down to gates in the low 20s I decided it was about time I turned around and headed back towards my gate which was in the 40s. This may not sound like much, but at Incheon, that’s a fair hike.

View of Seoul Incheon Airport by Kaell116, on Flickr

I still kept browsing through random shops on the way and I swear the lady in the Tumi shop thought I was wasting her time but to be honest, I was genuinely interested in the price, but if I was going to buy anything it would have been in Hong Kong or Singapore. I wandered by the gate, saw that my aircraft was there and before the light disappeared entirely, grabbed a picture (along with the Star Alliance painted aircraft next door).

Seoul Incheon Airport by Kaell116, on Flickr

My Ride to Hong Kong - Boeing 777-200ER by Kaell116, on Flickr

Star Alliance Painted Asiana Boeing 767-300ER by Kaell116, on Flickr

Pretty soon the boarding area did its usual thing of becoming a scrum with about 10 minutes to go till boarding. I was standing around waiting for a little bit when the business line filled considerably. So knowing that if I didn’t get in it shortly, I would be stuck. So I jumped in. Shortly thereafter (about a minute) they made announcements that the line was for Business and Star Gold only. Low and behold the entire line was for economy! Hah typical.

Gate Area at Seoul Incheon Airport by Kaell116, on Flickr

Gate Area at Seoul Incheon Airport by Kaell116, on Flickr

Asiana Airlines
OZ723
Seoul Incheon to Hong Kong
1950-2240
Boeing 777-200ER (HL7700)
Business Class – Seat 2K

Boarding: 1925 (Gate 43)
Push Back 1953
Take Off Roll: 2009 (Runway 33L)
Top of Descent: 2136
Touch Down: 2209 (Runway 22R)
Shut Down: 2221 (Gate 31)

Boarding was soon announced with the traditional bow greeting to begin the process and I was the first person through the gate, down the escalators and down the airbridge to the aircraft. I snapped a few photos while I could and then realized the person behind me in the queue, was my seat mate, but she did not look happy that she had someone next to her. Not my problem! I got myself settled then realized that this was a non AVOD fitted aircraft. O well. It’s only a 3 hour flight and they still show movies on a loop so I can still watch something!

First one down the Escalators to the Aircraft by Kaell116, on Flickr

O I love those words by Kaell116, on Flickr

Business Class of the Asiana 777-200ER by Kaell116, on Flickr

Business Cabin Shot by Kaell116, on Flickr

Our flights today by Kaell116, on Flickr

Getting a dirty look by Kaell116, on Flickr

Menus and pre departure drinks were handed out and unfortunately no Bibimbap on this flight either! But there was a Korean specialty and I was determined to try that. My seat mate as the doors closed tried to take up the spare seat that was on the other side of the aisle however once she moved over, she was sent back by a flight attendant as someone from down the back was apparently getting a battlefield upgrade. Lucky bugger.

Asiana Menu & Wine List by Kaell116, on Flickr

Asiana Menu by Kaell116, on Flickr

Seat Controls by Kaell116, on Flickr

Old School AV Control (Non AVOD) by Kaell116, on Flickr

Non AVOD Screen by Kaell116, on Flickr

We pushed back pretty much on time (and I got a little bit of a smirk for taking a photo of the crew as they prepared for their bow) and we taxied for a while out towards the parallel runways. It was a long taxi but gave me a good look at all the Korean Airlines aircraft that seemingly dominate the terminal (Asiana plays a close second really). The takeoff roll was definitely high power and so was the pull up at the rotate point as the pilots pulled as skywards towards Hong Kong.

Orders were taken and this time my seat mate was allowed to take the spare seat as the other person had not shown so I was 2 for 2 with empty seats next to me. Win! I was happy as larry as we reached 10000ft and the entertainment was switched on, headphones out and time to watch whatever was on the loop (Xmen First Class it is). I watched the movie as orders were taken and I asked if I could have a mixture of the Western and Korean menus as I really didn’t like the sound of the Korean dessert (fruit punch ...?) . I was told they would see if they could if there was any left so I was hopeful.

As we cruised along dinner service started fairly slowly and the Korean meal seemed extremely healthy and light which was good. I ended up spilling diet coke all over my tray table (good work idiot) and managed to hide it well under the can for photos. When the main came out there was instructions in the menu on how to eat it and for a while I was ok with this, but the weird metal chopsticks which is apparently a Korean thing and just my inability to use them, I got fed up and just made up my own way. I ended up finishing the vegetables and one of the cabin crew tried to bring me more which I declined (I was struggling to eat what I had in front of me). The meal was good and spicy just the way I like it!

Dinner Set up by Kaell116, on Flickr

Business Class Dinner - Korean Starter by Kaell116, on Flickr
Old Oct 26, 2011, 9:14 pm
`X'
Original Poster

Programs: QFF NB, DJ Gold, A3 Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver, Carlson Silver, A|Club Gold

Business Class Dinner - Korean Starter - Vegetable Buckwheat Pancakes by Kaell116, on Flickr

Metal Chop Sticks by Kaell116, on Flickr

Waiting for the Main now by Kaell116, on Flickr

Perrier & Diet Coke by Kaell116, on Flickr

Korean Main - Ssambab by Kaell116, on Flickr

Ssambab - Kinda like San Choi Bow by Kaell116, on Flickr

The Korean Dessert was handed out and I was told that if they had leftover Ice Cream they would bring it to me as well (score) and after a while they did, along with Coffee and then chocolates. I felt like I had made an absolute pig of myself. Overall the dinner service took up a good portion of the flight and really this was good as there was only roughly an hour and a quarter left of the flight by the time this happened and the seat belt sign came on for a little bit of turbulence.

Fruit Punch & Three Sweet Rice Balls by Kaell116, on Flickr

Crusing over the East China Sea by Kaell116, on Flickr

Three Sweet Rice Balls by Kaell116, on Flickr

Ice Cream as well (snuck from the Western Meal) by Kaell116, on Flickr

Pretty soon we were heading for our descent point into Hong Kong. Where had this flight gone? It was a smooth descent followed by a lovely smooth touch down. Unfortunately due to cloud it was hard to see anything out the window and I had no view of Hong Kong at all. We taxied again what felt like an age all the way around to the far side of the terminal from our runway and pulled up at a gate in the low 30s. What I did not realize again was just how big Hong Kong Airport is.

When finally released out into the terminal, I turned toward immigration and saw the walk in front of me. It looked to be a solid kilometre or more to immigration. Which is good because I needed to walk off dessert. Which I did, no moving walkways for me tonight!. Immigration queues were long (no fast track offered) but they moved fairly rapidly and not even a word from the immigration officer, just a stamp and done.

Hong Kong Airport... a long way to immigration by Kaell116, on Flickr

Big Line at Immigration by Kaell116, on Flickr

After having walked all the way to one end of the terminal for immigration, I then had to walk all the way back it seemed for my bag as our carousel was all the way back the other direction. Typical. My bag was rolling around on the far side by the time I got through and then grabbed my bag went through customs which wasn’t even a hassle. I bought the tourist pass with the Hong Kong express and was on a train within 10 minutes speeding towards Kowloon and my home for the next 5 nights the Novotel Nathan Road Hong Kong.

Get through one door at one end of the Terminal... have to walk to the other end for my bags by Kaell116, on Flickr

Onto the Airport Express by Kaell116, on Flickr

Speeding on the Airport Express to Kowloon by Kaell116, on Flickr

Heading towards Kowloon by Kaell116, on Flickr
Old Oct 26, 2011, 9:39 pm

Uhhh, I'd forgotten about the London Lounge. The last time I was there I scored an upgrade to J (from reward economy) on my TATL flight after flirting with the dragon, spent 7 hours next to the beer taps in the lounge, then couldn't find my way out of the lounge, couldn't find my way to the gate, couldn't find my way to my seat and then had the 2nd worst hangover of my life. Not the proudest day of my life. I blame it on being 19 at the time.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 9:55 pm
`X'
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rehoult
Uhhh, I'd forgotten about the London Lounge. The last time I was there I scored an upgrade to J (from reward economy) on my TATL flight after flirting with the dragon, spent 7 hours next to the beer taps in the lounge, then couldn't find my way out of the lounge, couldn't find my way to the gate, couldn't find my way to my seat and then had the 2nd worst hangover of my life. Not the proudest day of my life. I blame it on being 19 at the time.
ahh the days of being young and able to consume my body weight in alcohol.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:42 pm
`X'
Original Poster

Part 13 - Hong Kong to Singapore

Part 13 – 6th September 2011 – Hong Kong to Singapore

A lazy morning for once considering I am normally up at OMG o clock (and will be for my final flight). I copped out on the gym as I just couldn’t deal with it and decided not to rush my morning and just potter around the hotel getting myself good to go.

After having issues at Breakfast in regards to how to cook a poached egg, I checked out around 10am (as planned) and dragged myself, my new suitcase, my old suitcase, my backpack and camera bag to a cab to the station. After again having the driver try to take me somewhere I did not want to go, I had to keep telling him “JUST TAKE ME TO KOWLOON STATION.” I didn’t have to lug my bags far as when we pulled up it was right infront of the In Town Check In for the Airport Express.

My Suitcases Have Multiplied by Kaell116, on Flickr

Kowloon Station Airport Express by Kaell116, on Flickr

Kowloon Station Airport Express In Town Check In by Kaell116, on Flickr

The check in was painless and after negotiating for a half decent seat (ended up in the Forward mini Cabin) I was out of the check in area and headed downstairs for a train. Now you might be thinking why is he going to the airport so so early for an afternoon flight. Well I was intending (note the word intending for later) on doing some spotting, some last minute shopping and also lounge hopping my way around Hong Kong Airport.

Singapore Airlines Check in Counter by Kaell116, on Flickr

Kowloon Station by Kaell116, on Flickr

Elements Shopping Centre by Kaell116, on Flickr

Heading to the Airport on the Airport Express by Kaell116, on Flickr

Once at the airport it was out into Terminal 2 rather than Terminal 1 to do a bit of spotting. However the skydeck was not quite open when I arrived so instead hit up a few shops and then went up to the Skydeck and thankfully used up some of my last HKD on my octopus card. The Skydeck is the “official” spotting location at HKIA and overlooks both the approaches for runways 25L&R. Awesome shots were obtained but the light was crazy++ No retro jet though (but not without trying) so I guess that part of the trip list is going not done.

Off to Terminal 2 for a while by Kaell116, on Flickr

Baggage Carts all lined up at the Airport Express Station by Kaell116, on Flickr

Hong Kong International Airport Terminal 2 by Kaell116, on Flickr

Aviation Discovery Centre by Kaell116, on Flickr

Hong Kong International Airport from the Sky Deck at Terminal 2 by Kaell116, on Flickr

Terminal 2 Skydeck by Kaell116, on Flickr

Hong Kong International Airport by Kaell116, on Flickr

After loosing track of time and then hiking my way back to the terminal later than I thought and having to get my boarding pass reissued with my Aegean number on the pass as for some reason it is just not crediting properly, it was through security, immigration and out into the massive terminal. I tried to find my way through to some of the shops and then realising what the time was, was going to skip the lounge hopping (i did it in Narita anyway) and just head to the SQ lounge. But a few of the shops were all the way down near the TG and UA lounge. But it didn’t last either because I never ended up buying anything at those shops.

Hong Kong Airport Terminal 1 by Kaell116, on Flickr

Hong Kong International Airport Terminal 1 by Kaell116, on Flickr
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:43 pm
`X'
Original Poster

Hong Kong International Airport Terminal 1 by Kaell116, on Flickr

Boarding the Train to the mid gates by Kaell116, on Flickr

I got told that I can’t come back on the train from the middle gate area, I had to walk which took me a solid 15 minutes at my pace so that was a bit annoying but you deal with what you can do. This ate into my time and I managed to get what I could shopping wise with about 30 minutes of lounge time. I rushed into the SQ lounge, took a few photos, grabbed a quick nut snack, posted on the web and pretty soon the 30 minutes was almost up.

My Ride to Singapore - A380 by Kaell116, on Flickr

Silverkris Lounge Hong Kong by Kaell116, on Flickr

I rushed out to the bathroom (bathrooms at this lounge are on the outside none inside) for a quick pit stop pre flight and missed the boarding call which was early! As everyone was boarding as I headed to the gate.

Singapore Airlines
SQ861
Hong Kong to Singapore
1520-1905
Airbus – A380-800 (9V-SKA)
Business Class – Seat 14A

Boarding: 1445 (Gate 15)
Push Back: 1531
Take Off Roll: 1556 (Runway 07R)
Top of Descent: 1834
Touch Down: 1901 (Runway 02R)
Shut Down: 1906 (Gate B7)

For the first time I was heading upstairs on an A380 and ticking it off my list of things to do in life. The little upward incline meant time for a few photos unfortunately couldn’t get a clear shot of the bird flying me to Singapore. When I stepped into the upper deck I was shocked at how low the roof felt and then I saw the size of the seats. The SQ business seats are MASSIVE. Wider than I thought they would be. Way wider.

Heading onboard... excitement building by Kaell116, on Flickr

Heading to the Upper Deck... First time on the Upper Deck of any aircraft by Kaell116, on Flickr

British Airways 747-400 at the Adjoining Gate by Kaell116, on Flickr

Looking out at our Ride from the Glass Air Bridge by Kaell116, on Flickr

The seat was just huge and they had heaps of cushions to try and keep you in the seat and they just did not help at all! Another thing I noticed is even though the windows are at a good level, because your on the upper deck, you are set further back from the windows making it difficult to get many photos of the ground or down below you.

Singapore Airlines Long Haul Business Seat by Kaell116, on Flickr

Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:44 pm
`X'
Original Poster

Legroom Shot by Kaell116, on Flickr

Big Screen! by Kaell116, on Flickr

We waited for a while to push back due to the brakes not being cool enough according to the Captain after his pre flight briefing and the Singapore Girls just could not do more to keep you happy. The service was great. We taxiied out eventually towards 07R (runway switch must of happened as when I was spotting it was the 25s) and it was a long long taxi. Eventually we took off, and headed for the sky.

View out the Window from the Upper Deck by Kaell116, on Flickr

China Airlines A330 by Kaell116, on Flickr

Dragonair A321 & A320 by Kaell116, on Flickr

747 Freighters at the Cargo Ramp - Cathay Pacific, TNT & UPS by Kaell116, on Flickr

Racing a Korean Air Cargo 747F to the Runway by Kaell116, on Flickr

Thai 777-200 Taking off by Kaell116, on Flickr

Turning onto the Active Runway by Kaell116, on Flickr

Cathay Pacific Cargo Silver Bullet parked at the Stand off by Kaell116, on Flickr

Airborne as we Pass the Tower by Kaell116, on Flickr

Hong Kong International Airport by Kaell116, on Flickr

Passing Part of Hong Kong by Kaell116, on Flickr

View out the window once we reach Cruise by Kaell116, on Flickr

Service began extremely quickly after take off as orders had been taken on the ground for both drinks and “dinner.” The menu had plenty of choices and I was looking forward to some good cuisine (although I am tempted to “book the cook” on my next flight. As I settled in for a movie and dinner progressed through the courses I was totally lost in the moment and not realising how time was going or what was going on.

Big Screen TV with Post Departure Beverage by Kaell116, on Flickr

Assorted Nuts by Kaell116, on Flickr

A Better Look at the Business Class Seat by Kaell116, on Flickr

Steps down to First Class by Kaell116, on Flickr

Fruit & Cheese on Carts ready for Service Later by Kaell116, on Flickr
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:45 pm
`X'
Original Poster

Wing Shot... kinda hard since the windows are so far back by Kaell116, on Flickr

The lunch service was a little slow and was suspended for a few minutes due to some turbulence which wasn’t all that bad imo but eventually we were heading towards Top of Descent. I had to get my AVOD system to be rebooted after it crashed and then pretty much 5 minutes after it came back up, it was shut off for landing and approach. O well.

Prawn Nicoise Salad Starter by Kaell116, on Flickr

Garoupa, Stir Fry Vegies, Tofu & Rice by Kaell116, on Flickr

Rum & Raisin Ice Cream & Berry Sauce by Kaell116, on Flickr

Fruit & Cheese Platter by Kaell116, on Flickr

Banana & Grapes... yum by Kaell116, on Flickr

Finishing Off with the tiniest cup of coffee ever by Kaell116, on Flickr

Wing Shot as we Cruise towards Singapore by Kaell116, on Flickr

Upper Deck A380 Cabin Shot by Kaell116, on Flickr

Me on the A380 on the Upper Deck by Kaell116, on Flickr

On Descent into Singapore over Malaysia by Kaell116, on Flickr

Sunsets as we descend by Kaell116, on Flickr

Passing Rivers & Jungle by Kaell116, on Flickr

Waterfront Village near Changi by Kaell116, on Flickr

Car Ferry near Changi by Kaell116, on Flickr

Singapore Airport by Kaell116, on Flickr

SATS - Singapore Airport Terminal Services by Kaell116, on Flickr
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:45 pm
`X'
Original Poster

As we approached into Singapore I was again snap happy as much as I could but it was not possible to get as many photos as I normally do. O well. Gotta deal with it. We landed on 02R and taxiied quickly to B7 one of the A380 gates. This is where things got wierd for me as when we deboarded it was out into the normal terminal area. No sectioned off area for arriving guests. Crazy. Immigration was a breeze (was one of the first people there) waited about 10 mins for my bag to pop out and then I was in a Limosuine Taxi (wanted the pre set price option) on my way to my hotel. A Quick flight that just made my day.

Touchdown in Singapore... lots of familiar Planes (Qantas, Jetstar) by Kaell116, on Flickr

Jet Airways Parked out front of the Crowne Plaza by Kaell116, on Flickr

Singapore Changi Airport by Kaell116, on Flickr

Lots of Qantas & British Airways parked at Singapore by Kaell116, on Flickr

My Ride that brought me to Singapore by Kaell116, on Flickr

Walking through Changi with no seperation after arrival... wierd by Kaell116, on Flickr

No seperation with departing passengers by Kaell116, on Flickr

Down to Immigration by Kaell116, on Flickr

Singapore Changi Airport by Kaell116, on Flickr

Waiting for my “Limosuine” taxi by Kaell116, on Flickr

My Bags made it safe and sound by Kaell116, on Flickr
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:01 pm
`X'
Original Poster

Part 14 - Singapore to Brisbane - aka... final flight :(

Part 14 – 10th September 2011 – Singapore to Brisbane[/b]

The usual start to my flight day. An OMG oclock wake up, a gym work out followed by a taxi to the airport but with a few differences. Today was the final leg of my journey so I was a little bit sad. At check out it meant a bit extra time required due to needing to get some contact information of the GM and then it was in the taxi to go and pick up my friend from her hotel.

All our bags in the back of our Taxi..... for 2 people! by Kaell116, on Flickr

Once all together a taxi full of bags we were airport bound and shortly arriving at Changi T3 and dropped in front of the business check in. As we walked in we were waived over to an open desk (first class not business) and check in was swiftly progressed. Again no points were showing in my file (seriously don’t they recognise A3?) but this was swiftly added but meant my gold recognition was not there which was quite dissapointing as I was given a 2nd rate seat (middle aisle).

Singapore Changi Airport Terminal 3 by Kaell116, on Flickr

After check in we cleared immigration with ease and I cleared out my account of SGD ready for a final conversion to AUD. We headed towards the SilverKris lounge and I guested my friend into the lounge and I got a request made for a new seat and I headed towards the foreign currency exchange, some last minute burning of $$ and scoped out the Gold lounge (which was just a small version of the silverkris).

Heading Up to the Lounges at Singapore Changi Airport Terminal 3 by Kaell116, on Flickr

Singapore Changi Airport Terminal 3 by Kaell116, on Flickr

Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Gold Lounge - Terminal 3 by Kaell116, on Flickr

Once I was back in the lounge I was grabbing some breakfast and then I spotted someone I did not think I would see. The owner of the company I work for! Total craziness. We had a good chat in the lounge and discussed the travel we had been doing over the last few months. It was just a mind blow to run into him and as we both headed towards the gates I bid farewell and cleared security at the lead in to the first set of B gates.

Singapore Airlines SilverKris Lounge - Terminal 3 by Kaell116, on Flickr

Once through I rejoined my friend who had gone off to shop and after getting my seat request checked (window seat confirmed but no new boarding pass print booo) and then shortly after that boarding was called.

My Ride to Brisbane - Singapore Airlines A330 by Kaell116, on Flickr

Gate B1 at Terminal 3 by Kaell116, on Flickr
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:03 pm
`X'
Original Poster

Singapore Airlines
SQ245
Singapore to Brisbane
0950-1930
Airbus – A330-300 (9V-STS)
Business Class – Seat 14K

Boarding: 0915 (Gate B1)
Push Back: 0959
Take Off Roll: 1039 (Runway 20C)
Top of Descent: 1845
Touch Down: 1919 (Runway 19)
Shut Down: 1925 (Gate 80)

I bid my friend safe journeys as we headed towards the gate. I head down the airbridge for the final time on this journey and was chastised by someone for taking a photo and instructed to delete the photo (which I promptly faked the process of doing) and stepped onboard. My seatmate was already at the seat and quite difficult to deal with. But I was not going to let that change anything.

My Ride to Brisbane (The Photo that Got me in Trouble) by Kaell116, on Flickr

Singapore Airlines New Regional Business Cabin by Kaell116, on Flickr

I settled into my seat and got myself sorted. Boarding continued and pre departure beverages were offered. I had just a water as usual and before departing drink offers were taken for after take off. Push back was delayed as we waited for our slot and when we finally pushed, I had a feeling it was going to be a slow slow journey to the active as we were a number of planes behind (soon confirmed by the captain).

Legroom Shot by Kaell116, on Flickr

Nice AVOD Screen and plenty of Storage by Kaell116, on Flickr

Singapore Airlines New Regional Business Seat by Kaell116, on Flickr

Looking out the window to the Terminal by Kaell116, on Flickr

Pre Departure Beverage by Kaell116, on Flickr

The Safety Video by Kaell116, on Flickr

We taxiied towards the active 20C and were informed of a flight time of 6 hours 40 minutes so we must be getting some great tailwinds. The captain came back shortly thereafter and informed us that we were #8 in line for takeoff. O great.

Singapore Airlines Business Class Menu by Kaell116, on Flickr

Todays Menu - Singapore to Brisbane by Kaell116, on Flickr

Waving goodbye to Changi by Kaell116, on Flickr

Pushing Back Wing Shot by Kaell116, on Flickr

Brightly Painted Aircraft by Kaell116, on Flickr

Still Holding at the Gate by Kaell116, on Flickr

Garuda & Air Mauritius by Kaell116, on Flickr

Singapore Airlines A380 & 777-300ER at Changi Terminal 3 by Kaell116, on Flickr

Singapore Airlines A340-500 at Singapore Changi Airport by Kaell116, on Flickr

Evergreen 747 at Singapore Changi by Kaell116, on Flickr

After waiting in line and getting some good photos of some rare stuff (Evergreen 747, Xiamen Airlines, Cebu Pacific, some private birds) we were lining up, captain delivered his takeoff positions instruction to the crew and we were heading to the skies with grace. The climb out was long out over the golf clubs around Changi and it was a little time before the seat belt sign came off.

Line up at Singapore Changi by Kaell116, on Flickr
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:06 pm
`X'
Original Poster

View Back Towards Terminal 3 by Kaell116, on Flickr

Jetstar Asia Aircraft at Terminal 2 by Kaell116, on Flickr

Tiger Airways A320 by Kaell116, on Flickr

A Transmile 727-200F by Kaell116, on Flickr

Air India A320 by Kaell116, on Flickr

Taking Off Past the Star Alliance Painted Singapore Airlines Aircraft by Kaell116, on Flickr

After being released from our seats I climbed out and over my seat mate, who had promptly decided to try and go to sleep blocking the aisle, and did the same thing as dozens of others, queued for the bathroom. Drink service began shortly soon after and the lovely nut mix was served (I am now a fan of a good salty roasted nut after this trip where as I loathed them before).

Changi Golf Course by Kaell116, on Flickr

Changi Golf Course by Kaell116, on Flickr

Singapore as we climb out by Kaell116, on Flickr

Waving Goodbye to Singapore by Kaell116, on Flickr

Cabin Shot of the New Regional Business by Kaell116, on Flickr

Leaving Singapore Wing Shot by Kaell116, on Flickr

I set the seat for a good lounge style and sat back to enjoy watching an old movie (Robocop) while chowing down on the nut mix. In comparison the seat on the A330 with SQ is pretty good for a daytime regional flight. Plenty of storage spaces, goes flat and nice and comfy to lounge on. A downside though, when reclined the seat is lowered below window height so difficult to see out the window with really. No big issues though.

Assorted Nuts & Diet Coke to Start the Lunch Service by Kaell116, on Flickr

The Singapore Girls start service by Kaell116, on Flickr

Lunch orders were taken and I took the Duck option which was the chefs special option. After my drink was constantly topped up and a request for some more crunchy snacks provided without an issue the full service began. I was constantly addressed by name by the crew and my table set for lunch.

Amenity Kits by Kaell116, on Flickr

Watching Movies while waiting for lunch by Kaell116, on Flickr

Wing Shot by Kaell116, on Flickr

Cart Service by the Singapore Girls by Kaell116, on Flickr

Lunch Set Up while Watching Robocop by Kaell116, on Flickr

Lunch today was a fusion mix it seemed with a thai style starter, a french/asian style main and the usual traditional dessert. I chose the Creme Brulee and followed it up with some lovely fruit and cheese. All up lunch took about an hour by the time i finished my coffee and chocolates but by this stage there was only about 4 hours left of the flight.

Shrimp Starter & Awesome Bread by Kaell116, on Flickr
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:07 pm
`X'
Original Poster

Passing Over Indonesia by Kaell116, on Flickr

Volcano in the distance by Kaell116, on Flickr

Main Course of Duck for Lunch by Kaell116, on Flickr

More Islands to Pass by Kaell116, on Flickr

Citrus Creme Brulee for Dessert by Kaell116, on Flickr

Cheese Plate and Fruit (Gotta love the Pineapple) by Kaell116, on Flickr

Coffee & Chocolate to Finish by Kaell116, on Flickr

After trying to visit my friend down the back and not being able to see her, I gave up and headed back to my seat where I settled in to watch some movies. About 3 hours out, we started to hit Australian soil. Looking down onto my home below had me in mixed feelings. Happy to see the country I had missed so much while I was away, sad to be heading to the finish of this amazing journey.

First Glimpses of Australia... close to home.. by Kaell116, on Flickr

Singapore Airlines Branded Water by Kaell116, on Flickr

Green Iced Tea by Kaell116, on Flickr

The whole thing hit home and just made it all the more difficult to focus. I tried to distract myself with the TV but it didn’t work. I was to busy thinking about all the amazing and crazy experiences I have had on this trip.

Watching the Kennedys by Kaell116, on Flickr

Thats some tail wind alright! by Kaell116, on Flickr

About 2 hours out a round of dink orders was taken which pretty much meant the 2nd service was going to begin shortly there after. About 90 mins out the 2nd service began. Choices were again a western or Asian option and decided to take the asian option as I would be returning to normal western food for a while anyway, may as well enjoy it while I can. The lotus leaf encased parcel of rice, mushrooms, pork and chinese sausage was tasty and fantastic with some iced tea.

Dinner all Wrapped Up by Kaell116, on Flickr

Glutinous Rice, Chinese Sausage & Mushrooms Wrapped in a Leaf by Kaell116, on Flickr

With service completed I got myself slowly ready for landing as I knew it would get a bit busy when the pre descent notice was given and the panic would set in with everyone. After thanking the crew and grabbing a last minute souveneir of the flight (postcard) I agreed to fill in a feedback form for the crew as they were faultless and probably the best I have had so far out of 14 flights and 9 different *A carriers.

Sunsets as we come into Brisbane by Kaell116, on Flickr

With descent underway the leading steward Peter came by to thank me for the kind words and I thanked him for his crews fantastic service (credit where credit is due). A great way to end this journey with the famed SQ service. As we descended into Brisbane it was most definately dark outside and we came around for what I was predicting as an 01 arrival as the airshow was showing a roundabout descent profile.

Temperatures in Brisbane were predicted at 15 so the warm climate experience I had been enjoying the last few weeks was well and truly over, back to the cold cold reality… nooooo. Turns out we were not heading for 01 but towards 19. As we came in for a Bay approach we landed pretty close to the keys at BNE and I knew from that instant, it was all over and that this was truly an amazing trip.

Brisbane Airport by Kaell116, on Flickr

And Im Home - The Journey is Over by Kaell116, on Flickr

We taxied fairly quickly towards the gate and was soon pulling up at gate 80, pretty much from the same gate I had taken off from only a few months ago. Immigration was a breeze once I had picked up my Duty Free that I had left behind in storage and I was into the waiting arms of my loving family.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:08 pm
`X'
Original Poster

Part 15 – Conclusion

Back to reality means that I have time to reflect. After spending 9 weeks travelling almost non stop, barely gives you time to breathe but with all the flights I still had time to chill out and had time to breathe and relax.
The trip was probably the best trip of my life so far. I did over plan a little bit I think in some areas, yet underplanned in others. With only one real dissapointment flight wise (damn you United for the aircraft change) everything else went off without a hitch with minimal issues (only really short delays so nothing dramatic).

As an aviation geek this trip provided a plethora of new airlines & new airports but only 2 new aircraft (777-300ER & 737-500). One thing I get asked a lot is who was the best. I can’t answer that though. There was no one standout best on this trip. Many different things were holding each one back, what was great on one airline was crap on the other. But I can break it down for you all as follows:

Best Seat: Three way tie – Swiss New Business, ANA Staggered Business (new business) and the New Air New Zealand Business Premier.

Best Food: ANA

Best Service: Singapore Airlines (but only the 2nd crew I had)

Best Looking Crew: Singapore Airlines tied with Swiss (although SQ crew were just sheer perfection).

This whole trip had me fly a total of 30385 Butt in Seat Miles and earned me 54970 Miles with Aegean. In saying that I love the fact that thanks to Aegean I am now a Star Gold and hopefully I can get another program to status match me with their current promotion. (*edit* they did)

All in All I think this trip was $$ well spent and that I am now looking forward to my next trip which thanks to this trip will be using up some of the points most likely… Let the planning begin!
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
A great end to an epic report.

Why on earth did someone tell you off for taking a photo of the aircraft? Who was it, a member of staff? I'd have told them to stick it.

Interesting the SQ deem the flight to BNE as 'regional'. What is the flight time? I suppose it is lucky that you got the newest regional cabin.

When do you fly next? I'm looking forward to the report already. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.