Wiki Posts
Search

I dont fly on planes that are older than me - or Junkers Ju52 on MUC-SZG

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2011, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles & More;
I dont fly on planes that are older than me - or Junkers Ju52 on MUC-SZG

So why that thread title? Well that are the exact words my father used when i invited him to join me on that trip (Although i am not sure he was serious...)

This one will be a little different from the usual trip reports:
- no business or first class on the plane
- no food or drinks
- no exotic location
- no MILES!!! (neither earned on the trip, nor used for it)
nontheless i will stick to the usual layout of my trip reports.

As many of you probably know the „Deutsche Lufthansa Berlin Stiftung“ has renovated a few historic airplanes. Among them is a Junkers Ju-52/3m - known as „Aunt Ju“ built in 1936. (For more information: http://www.lufthansa-ju52.de/en/Flee...U-52/index.php)

During the summer that plane is touring around Germany offering round-trip sightseeing flights from different airports. But not only that - you can also buy a ticket for the ferry flights between the airports.

And thats why i took that flight. Not only to get the chance to fly such an historic aircraft. But also because i find it really interesting to use such an aircraft to actually fly from a huge Airport like Munich with 35 million passengers a year to visit an international destination! (Ok - the distance MUC-SZG is not even 100 miles - but it is international)

The trip started like any other trip i took from munich the last years. Went to the airport, parked my car, went inside terminal 2 and looked at the FIDS. And there was my flight - among all the other flights with huge Airbus and Boeing jets to all around the world - there was LH 9811 to SZG departing from Gate G67.

Security was a breeze like always in Terminal 2 and soon i was on my way to my gate.

The gate was on the lower floor of the terminal where you have a nice view onto the apron. And because Lufthansa loves its 4-engine birds MUC is one of the airports where you can still see planes with more engines than a Ju52/3m on a everyday basis.

As mentioned earlier i had no lounge access - but Lufthansa provides newspapers and coffee free of charge for all the passengers in Terminal 2.

Of course we didn`t have a finger gate so we had to take the usual bus to the plane.

And here she is: „Aunt Ju“

The crew greeted us at the plane. All of them are active or recently retired Lufthansa employes. The Pilot for example usually flies Jets for Lufthansa mainline. They told us a little about the history of the airplane and explained the route we would take to Salzburg.

There was enough times to walk around the airplane and take lots of pictures bevore it was time to board.

When sitting down i noticed the huge windows. I guess you have a little more choices in design an airplane when you don`t need a pressurized cabin. For example the window in the door even can be opened.

The plane is equipped with 16 seats - 14 of them single seats, 7 on each side of the plane and two together on the right in the back opposite of the entrance door, so everybody has a nice view out of the window.

In the usual flyertalk tradition i of course also took a legroom shot.

Soon after sitting down the engines started and we began taxing to the runway. When passing this bird i reallised that the cabin felt much more roomy than on the CRJ

When reaching the runway we couldn`t start immediately. The crew first had to warm up and test all the engines. During this time a few other planes passed us, or stopped beside us waiting for there slot for departure. I guess that was quite a sight for the incoming planes: A few Boeing and Airbus Jets waiting for departure and our little Junkers in the middle.

Last edited by ARJ85; Oct 10, 2011 at 6:34 am
Old Oct 10, 2011, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles & More;
The engines where of course loud - but not as loud as i expected - it was no problem to talk to each other. The takeoff was really short - and immediately when we were in the air the pilot turned left.

During the flight we also had the chance to visit the cockpit

As we were only flying about 500 meters above ground we of course had a nice view.

Our course took as right over the Chiemsse.

And even the outskirts of the alps

And too soon we reached Salzburg.

But we didn`t land right now - we first took a circle around the city.

And one of the most impressive things about the flight? It was the smoothest landing i had ever experienced!

On the ground we had another chance to take a few pictures of the plane

I didn`t stay long in Salzburg. But long enough to walk down the Getreidegasse - passing the birthhouse of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.

And for a „Einspänner“ at Cafe Tomasselli. This was my personal journey to the past - that was the same cafe my parents visited with me when i was a kid every time we went to Salzburg.

And to end the report with an airplane picture, here is another one i took on the ground in Munich:

Old Oct 10, 2011, 7:17 am

Amazing photos. I like the use of black and white photos instead of color for this report. Thanks for sharing.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 9:00 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Yes, agree--excellent report and fantastic pictures. The photos are so much better in B&W and the final photo is fantastic with the cloud formations. You should consider entering that photo into a contest of some type.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
W-O-W! Your pictures are incredible! What an experience! Thank you very much for sharing this experience with us. A few of these pictures could easily be background on a computer screen, etc. So great to relive the 'glory days' of aviation! ^
Old Oct 10, 2011, 9:43 am

Amazing photos.

Was that Colditz?
Old Oct 10, 2011, 10:42 am
mp2

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Marriot Gold
A priceless trip report with amazing pictures ^^^

Last edited by mp2; Oct 10, 2011 at 3:03 pm Reason: Fixed spelling error
Old Oct 10, 2011, 2:25 pm

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
Awesome. Truly superb photography!
Old Oct 10, 2011, 6:52 pm

One of the best trip reports I've seen, thank you.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 7:20 pm

Programs: Asiana, The Old NWA, Cathay Pacific
beautiful pics !
Old Oct 10, 2011, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Wow! I am speechless!

There are some outstanding photos in the TR. Great job! You've given me inspiration!
Old Oct 10, 2011, 11:49 pm

The photos made it look like another time

Truly amazing photos--any thought of publishing them?

There are more than a couple I would love framed and hanging in my home.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 4:04 am

A wonderful trip report. Such a fresh approach - thanks and well done.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:46 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Gorgeous pictures. Absolutely stunning. Especially this one:

Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:43 am

Programs: Too many
Outstanding pics and no nice to read something different.
I agree with another poster about you entering some photo comps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.