Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Third time's the charm- CX F from HKG-YYZ (Lots of detail and pics)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Third time's the charm- CX F from HKG-YYZ (Lots of detail and pics)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2011, 1:14 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond
You're very lucky! I just did CX F HKG-SFO in July (see trip report), and it was a completely full cabin 9/9. Maybe as a result unfortunately, service was not great Hoping to get lucky someday and have the cabin to myself as well!! Looking forward to the rest of your report!
Old Oct 31, 2011, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marco Polo Club
Rest of the report updated. Report is now done!

glu800: i agree that load has a huge impact on level of service. My last experience on a 6/6 cabin was hugely different than my flight this time. Try some of the lower demand routes like yyz and jnb for a better chance of having an empty cabin. Good luck!
Old Oct 31, 2011, 5:28 pm

Programs: CX DM
> He decided that he would start a movie over at 1K

one of the FAs was watching a movie in-flight ? did he have the headphones on ?

my first instinct was that this was a very poor show of professionalism, regardless of if he was keeping an eye on you. but then i suppose i wouldn't really mind as i suppose i would be rather casual with the crew and would like them to be likewise with me if i was the only pax.

> this little dish of chocolates have been some of the best I've had in a while

yes they are delicious !!! i asked an FA on CX 838 a couple days ago actually, and he showed me the little plastic container they come out of but there was no brandname on it. a friend told me they were from CX catering.

> more than an hour just to pass passport control. 1-Toronto airport, 0-Me.

YVR was great - CX 838 arrived at around 12:50 pm and i (not canadian resident) queued literally for 15 seconds. transfer to UBC la .... haha.

Last edited by marcuslai; Nov 2, 2011 at 12:19 pm
Old Nov 1, 2011, 8:07 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Great report b-kpf, didn't know someone else also did YYZ/HKG commutes
Sure brings back alot of memories of CX F, I wished I had a 1/6 load ever
And great outside pics as well

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen T3 immigration being that busy and it seems to be a monthly occurrance for me through there, i've always found it empty
Old Nov 1, 2011, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by b-kpf

Bye bye HK!
Did anyone else notice a minor detail in this photo? The reflection from the plane looks like a sad smiley face, perhaps waving good bye to a friend
Great report! CX F is still on my list of must do journeys.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 3:08 pm

Programs: Centurion, Lan Platinum, ANA Mileage Club, HHonors D, SPG G
Originally Posted by Petrus
Did anyone else notice a minor detail in this photo? The reflection from the plane looks like a sad smiley face, perhaps waving good bye to a friend
Great report! CX F is still on my list of must do journeys.
Wow... talk about attention to detail! It does indeed!

Sorry, i was reading really fast... so why was "The third time a charm" it this instance? time to reread
Old Nov 2, 2011, 10:01 pm

Nice pics. Ya, gotta love CX, wish I can fly First class with them some time.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marco Polo Club
Originally Posted by marcuslai
one of the FAs was watching a movie in-flight ? did he have the headphones on ?
No he didn't. I don't blame him though... one passenger for the whole 15 hr flight- i'd go stir crazy too if i had nothing to do

Originally Posted by marcuslai
a friend told me they were from CX catering.
darn... so the hunt continues...

Originally Posted by chinatown
Sorry, i was reading really fast... so why was "The third time a charm" it this instance? time to reread
Third time's a charm because this is my third report and I finally have a cabin all to myself.

To everyone else that hasn't tried intl F on CX, definitely should be added to the bucket list. IMO don't fly popular routes like JFK/LHR/SFO/LAX... you don't get the whole experience.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 7:39 am

Programs: FT
[QUOTE=b-kpf;17387969To everyone else that hasn't tried intl F on CX, definitely should be added to the bucket list. IMO don't fly popular routes like JFK/LHR/SFO/LAX... you don't get the whole experience.[/QUOTE]

yup. will fly YYZ-HKG in may in F...that is, unless another J seat opens up in award inventory and my spouse will very quickly kick me back to J...[only 2J when booking and we are two and a 4 year old]...
Old Nov 4, 2011, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
A truly wonderful report!

And I very much enjoyed the cloudscape photos.

I have a collection of such cloudscape photos myself after many years of flying around over the Caribbean and the western U.S., especially of thunderstorms.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't say enough of how much I enjoy reading your reports! What a treat to be the solo pax in the cabin. I've never had the F cabin all to myself regardless of airline. Thanks for another entertaining report once again. ^
Ughhh... I hate the mandatory calls that I always have to make before a flight.

“Hello? Ngo fei la."
"Ha lei fei la?"
"Hai ah."
"Gei si fan ah?"
"Ha leen fan lor."
"Orrr gum lei siu sum di la."
"Duc la."
"Ho la gum chi di geen la."
"Ng."
"Bye bye."
*click*
You know back on the 2nd day of January earlier this year, my cousin in-law was travelling together with us (exactly the same route & flight number) and her dialogue with her mom (my auntie in-law) over her smartphone while we were exiting the Wing to head over to the gate was nearly identical to the one you had. At that time when I heard it, your previous reports immediately came to my mind as I knew one particular trip reporter would be sharing those similar exchanges. Only difference, her mother didn't accompany her to the airport as she took the bus herself and met us landside at the departure level.
Upon my return, I had a nice chat with Y, and found out that she had a daughter who was looking to study overseas. As I had a similar upbringing, I told her some of my experiences and offered some advice. It felt great to be able to connect to the crew on such a personal level, and it felt like I was talking to a close friend.
So I take it you were not crewed by a YYZ-base that day? I've had both YYZ & HKG base throughout the years I've flown this route.
Old May 20, 2012, 2:38 am

Programs: CX DM
so this is why CX has cancelled F to YYZ ... but good job nailing the private cabin while it lasted =D if only the F cabin to YVR was as 吉 as those to YYZ ...
Old May 20, 2012, 11:17 am

Programs: Asia Miles, Marco Polo, Virgin Flying Club, Etihad Guest & Silver BA Executive Club
Really nice trip report, had a few laughs especially standing on the Ottoman part. I know how you feel when someone watches you eat, you feel really uncomfortable and cautious, but then I assume the FA was trying his best to make you feel more comfortable.

This trip report has to be one of the best reports that I have read for a long time, I will keep on following your reports in the future.

P.S. Nice stickwoman
Old May 20, 2012, 11:25 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
HAHA I had an F cabin to myself for a rather short flight, and it was one with a suite format. The FA was standing right behind my seat, out of view, waiting for me to finish my meal while I had headphones on and was jamming out to my iPod ... awkward.

Great TR, great pictures. CX F never ceases to provide a great template for reports.
Old May 24, 2012, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Nice job, b-kpf! Somehow I missed this when it came out, but better late than never. Traveling in an otherwise empty First Class cabin is like sitting at home drinking alone (I can only imagine...) I much prefer the shared experience, even if its with people I don't know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.