FLIGHT#41 LAN#600 Santiago, Chile – Los Angeles, California 767 Biz with Pics

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2011, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat
FLIGHT#41 LAN#600 Santiago, Chile – Los Angeles, California 767 Biz with Pics

FLIGHT#41
LAN #600
Santiago, Chile (SCL) – Los Angeles, California, USA (LAX)
Date: June 29, 2011
Departure SCL: 20:05
Arrival LIM: 22:55
Departure LIM: 11:55
Arrival LAX: 06:40
Length SCL-LIM: 3:50
Length LIM-LAX: 8:45
Miles flown since start of trip: 83,112 mi.
Aircraft: Boeing 767-300
Seats: BUSINESS

Welcome to our last flight of our year of travel, Flight #41! The entire adventure has been chronicled on this thread:
My Son’s Fifth Grade Year, 97,737 miles, 40 flights, 6 continents, 16 countries
and on this website:
http://fifthgradearoundtheworld.com

With our original flights, we had a two hour layover in Santiago and then we should have continued on to San Francisco. Unfortunately with a schedule change, it turned into an eighteen hour layover arriving at 5:40 am and departing at 10:00 pm. With that I asked about them providing a day room since they forced the change. The head office approved the request after a few days.

Check-in at the Holiday Inn immediately in front of the airport arrival and departure area was a breeze. They informed us that we had two room with full board. This meant we could eat breakfast, lunch and dinner that day in their restaurant. No one would be going hungry!

They gave us two rooms near each other on the top floor. Corbin and Terry felt awake so they went down to breakfast while I tried to get a few more hours of sleep. We stayed at this hotel on our way out to Easter Island two month prior and it receives good marks from me. Terry and Corbin stayed up a while more and then went down for a snooze. I got up by noon so I could go into the city and have lunch with a friend. Taxis into the city are fairly cheap in Santiago but there happened to be an airport bus going directly to the center so I jumped on that.

Santiago has been our transit hub during the past two months so I know it fairly well. My friend Rodrigo and I had a nice lunch at a cafι near his house. I’m glad that I could make good use of our layover down in Santiago!

By the time I got back my boys were awake and had enjoyed some nice room service hamburgers. Terry asked the front desk if we could use our full board vouchers for room service and they said we’d have to pay the 20% service fee. Not a problem. So around 5:30pm I ordered some scallops au gratin and a seafood risotto. Corbin nibbled on some great smoked salmon.

A nice view of the airport from our Holiday Inn room

Corbin loves his smoked salmon

Room Service- Scallops Au Gratin & Seafood Risotto

The whole experience with the day rooms worked out perfectly and it ended up breaking the trip up nicely. It was a great solution to a bad scheduling problem.

CHECK-IN:
Having flown through this airport several times recently, we know it well. We already knew how to find the hidden Business Class check-in area at the far left of the departures hall.

We paused for a moment when we got to the check-in desk and commemorated the moment with a photo. This was the last check-in of our year long trip. We mentioned the fact to our check-in agent and she congratulated us.

The “not so obvious way” to the Premium Check-In

A quiet Premium check-in area

Our last check-in

Within seconds we had our boarding passes and proceeded to the nearby Priority Security Screening. We arrived and the one security guard looked bored. We placed our things on the x-ray belt. He watched us go through the metal detector and then grabbed our things. One employee, no drama and a total of sixty seconds. I asked if I could take a picture because it just is not to be believed in this age of crazy security measures. As we finished another passenger walked up making it a “busy” evening for the security guy.

A very easy Premium Security

LOUNGE:
We purchased our bottles of Pisco and walked to the lounge Neruda Lounge LAN’s Salon VIP which happened to be adjacent to our boarding gate. We sometimes invite total strangers into the lounge with us just because we can. I consider it a mitzvah, a good deed. Since the gate was next to the lounge, it was easy to scan the passengers waiting for our flight for good candidates.

Normally I try to pick a middle-aged American couple. It’s hard to explain to foreigners what you’re trying to offer them. Most people would think we’re trying to scam them!

I finally spotted an American woman around our age with her teenage son. I saw their US passports sitting on the chair between them. I was just pointing them out to Terry when the woman caught me talking about her! BUSTED! So I immediately walked up and introduced myself. I explained that she and her son were welcome to come into the lounge with us. They didn’t have to sit with us but we were simply getting them in. Terry added, “And we’re not trying to sell you a timeshare or anything!!”

She first replied, “No, that’s fine.” Then she quickly changed her mind saying, “You know? Why not! We’d love to!”

The SCL Admirals Club

The larger of the two LAN Salon VIP lounges

They quickly packed up and soon we were descending the steps of the Salon VIP. Along the way we asked where they were headed. She said they were one their way home to the Bay Area. I mentioned that that’s we were about to move! So I asked where in the Bay Area. It turns out they live six blocks from our new house! What are the odds? We chatted a bit more with her and then left them alone as we set up camp in a back corner.

A quiet lounge

Some very nice work areas

Game playing Corbin

I’ve taken a lot of pictures in this lounge on other visits so I just shot a couple. The food and drink offerings were great. I love the sushi and little sandwiches. The lounge has lots of space: smoking room, sleeping room, computers… It’s very good for a business class lounge.

Fish and veggie sushi

Fruit and muffins

Sandwiches and cold cuts

Spirits in the lounge

I poured Terry and me some sparkling wine to celebrate this moment. The trip was over and we were going home. It had all worked out. I raised my glass and started to make a toast but the words couldn’t come out. Instead I just started to cry. Four years ago, I proposed this idea to my family and we have been thinking about it ever since. Now it was over. It exceeded all of our dreams. I finally got out the word “Cheers”.

Catching up with Grandma and Grandpa
nequine likes this.

Last edited by olafman; Oct 6, 2011 at 3:01 pm
Old Oct 6, 2011, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

BOARDING:
After swapping email addresses with our new neighbors, our flight was called. The gate area was busy but not chaotic. Premium Boarding had begun so the timing was perfect. I was surprised by the secondary bag search before walking down the jetway. I guess I don’t fly to the States enough to know these things are normal.

Our duty free pisco was waiting for us at the gate and soon enough we were unpacking at our seats. The flight attendant asked if I was traveling all the way to the US. I replied, “Yes”. She suggested that she put my duty free bottles away in her closet because the customs officials in Peru might not like that I’m bringing them in. She said she’d give them to me just before landing in Los Angeles. I was surprised that this crew would be taking us all the way to Los Angeles. I would have assumed that they would have swapped out the crew in the stop in Lima.

The very comfortable fully-flat seat

A full flight heading north

Getting ready for our final flight!

Our beverage offerings were proper champagne or pineapple juice, no Pisco Sour. It was at this point that I began to notice the higher level of in-flight service for this longer journey to Los Angeles. Next I came the amenity kit. We had been on five other Business Class flights on LAN in the past couple of months. On each we received a VERY basic kit with a pen, socks and an eye shade. The kit we received on this flight had your typical lotions, toothbrush, paste, comb.

Pre-departure goodies

INFLIGHT SERVICE SCL-LIM:
None of us were very tired for this leg of the journey. We had all napped at the hotel so we would really try to sleep until we left Lima. Business Class was totally full so the flight attendants would be busy throughout. I thought it was funny that Everyone was male except for one sole woman. Latino business still looks fairly sexist.

I can’t say that I was very hungry since I had room service at the hotel just a few hours before. Little did I know that even the meal service was expanded that what we had received on our other flights. I guess they have a high level of service if you leave the continent.

A pre-dinner beverage was offered and I continued with the champers in celebration of our trip. It’s important to celebrate life’s moments. Corbin celebrated by watching a PG-13 movie.

The three Haley’s are true pros at this point with long-haul flights. Corbin couldn’t be happier watching TV, eating and sleeping. The flight attendants constantly tried to get him to eat more: chocolates, ice cream and dessert. They thought he looked too skinny!

The biggest surprise of the meal was that it didn’t all get served at once on the same tray. It arrived with my starter, a salad and a plate of cheese. Most Business Class meal service on long-haul flights isn’t served on a single tray. I had overlooked this on the LAN flight so far since the food was above average.

I had the smoked salmon starter which was great. I could eat smoked salmon at every meal! It wins as my all time favorite protein. It also holds up well as airplane food. Corbin had a soup that looked decent.

The starter, salad and cheese tray

The cheese plate

Corbin had the pasta for his main while I chose the steak. Once it arrived, I realized that I had ordered the identical main on another one of their routes. Luckily it was excellent and I really enjoyed the tender filet.

Corbin’s pasta main

Close-up of my filet

The cheese course was a great ending to my meal. I’m not a sugar person so a nice red wine with cheese is my version of dessert. Corbin saved room for some Haagen Daas ice cream.

Corbin’s ice cream

During dinner we all watched TV and then I caught up on some writing. I wasn’t even close to finish writing about our month in Colombia for my book. Stated with food and wine, I was in good spirits to reflect on Cartagena!

Soon enough we were making our descent into Lima, Peru. I was really surprised when they announce that the through passengers to Los Angeles would have to remain on the plane while on the ground. I’ve flown this flight twice before and we used to be able to get off the plane in Lima during our hour stop there. Ah security regulations. This trip report was originally going to be two different reports but I decided to merge the two since we never left the plane!

IN-FLIGHT SERVICE: LIM-LAX
Our future neighbors said goodbye as they passed. They were on LAN’s direct flight to San Francisco. Over half the Business Class passengers got off in LIM. I was very impressed with the young man who was in charge of cleaning our side of the plane. He was fast and efficient. I’ve seen other cleaners before and he surpassed them all.

Boarding began again and soon the cabin was busy. My boys were getting tired. It was well past midnight locally so that meant our bodies were ready for bed. The attendants came by with Pisco Sours, water and champers. I had a final Pisco Sour to celebrate the moment. Corbin started to doze even before we left the ground.

Before we left the ground, a flight attendant distributed a Breakfast Menu Card. We indicated whether we wanted to be woken for breakfast. Then we could choose exactly what we wanted to eat. I like when airlines have a ordering menu for breakfast on a long-haul flight. Qantas’ order card even looks like a room service card from a hotel that hangs on a handle.

Once in the air, the attendant came by offering a midnight snack. Of course I said yes! I wasn’t the least bit hungry but wanted to see what was on offer! Corbin and Terry were already in the bed position when she came past.

Midnight snack leaving Lima

Quickly a tray of sandwiches and some fruit were placed in front of me. It wasn’t the most inspired midnight snack but the little chocolate was good! I took a couple of bites and finally folded my napkin over the tray. I was really sleepy by this time and I knew that we had a big day ahead in Los Angeles.

Sleep came immediately and I really didn’t wake up until the lights came up an hour before landing. A tray of breakfast appeared. I ordered a strong cup of tea to help the wake up process. Corbin simply grunted when I mentioned breakfast. The teenage years are just around the corner!

I had an average tasting omelet served with some sorry looking potato cakes and some tasty mushrooms. It’s hard to beat CX’s freshly, made to order eggs in First class. Eggs that have sat around for twelve hours just can’t be good.

The breakfast tray

Breakfast – omelette, potates and mushrooms

After breakfast we all changed out of our PJs in preparation for the start of the new day. We all felt pretty good since we had gotten a decent amount of sleep.

I had specifically chosen seats on the right hand side of the plane so that we could see the Angeles National Forest and then finally the Hollywood sign. When landing at LAX, the right windows provide a much more interesting view.

When the wheels touched US soil, we all turned and smiled at each other. After 365 days, over 83,000 miles, six continents, and 16 countries, we made it home. Our year of adventure was over. We made it! We ended the trip healthy, happy and with a lifetime of memories.

Arriving at LAX

LANDING:
Once again we were the first to deplane so we rushed to beat the crowd to immigration. Unfortunately an EL AL flight had landed before us and the US Resident line was very long. For once the foreigner line was shorter! As we stood there, we were reminded of what we are coming back into. A man stood in the queue next to us wearing a “Protect marriage between a man and a woman” t-shirt. Welcome to the USA. When Corbin saw the shirt, the activist in him encouraged us to kiss for the man. We happily obliged. Gay families aren’t going away. Now that we’re back in the USA, we will be fighting on the front lines of marriage equality.

It felt good to be back. One chapter of our lives finished as we touched down at LAX. And a new chapter was beginning. A new home in a new city. New jobs for the dads. A new school for Corbin. Back home near our families. New friends for all.

Life is an adventure and we look forward to what’s in store next.

Previous reports in this year of travel:
My Son’s Fifth Grade Year, 97,737 miles, 40 flights, 6 continents, 16 countries
FLIGHT#40: LAN#570 Bogota, Columbia - Santiago, Chile 767 Biz with Pics
FLIGHT#39: Copa Airlines #7471 Cartagena - Bogotα Economy with Pics
FLIGHT#38: Copa Airlines #7478 Bogotα – Cartagena Economy with Pics
FLIGHT#37: LAN#570 Santiago, Chile – Bogotα, Columbia 767 Biz with Pics
FLIGHT#36: LAN#842 Easter Island-Santiago 767 Biz with Video & Pics
FLIGHT#35: LAN#814 Santiago-Easter Island 767 Biz with Pics
FLIGHT#34: Air Canada#412 Buenos Aires - Santiago 767 Biz with Pics
FLIGHT#32: Emirates A380 First Class AKL-SYD
FLIGHT#31: Emirates #412 A380 First Class SYD-AKL Shower Pics/Video
FLIGHT#28: QF32 A380 Biz Class & QF/CX SIN Lounges with photos
FLIGHT#27: Five OW Lounges & JL 719 NRT-SIN Biz Class with photos
FLIGHT#23: BKK CX/QF/BA Lounges CX751 BKK-DEL Biz Class with photos
FLIGHT#26: Delhi Green Lounge & JL 740 Business Class with photos
FLIGHT#22: SGN International Sasco Lounge & TG 551 Business Class with photos
FLIGHT#20: SGN Dom Sasco Lounge, VN452 SGN-NHA Biz Class and Sheraton Nha Trang
FLIGHT#19: BKK Royal First Lounge & LH772 BKK-SGN in First Class with photos
FLIGHT#18: TG242 KBV-BKK in Biz Class with photos
FLIGHT#17: TG245 BKK-KVG in Biz Class with Photos
FLIGHT#16: THE CABIN & CX751 HKG-BKK in Biz Class with photos
FLIGHT#15: CX748 JNB-HKG Biz Class with photos
nequine likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 2:14 pm

Programs: FT
best TR's i have ever read. PERIOD!!
Old Oct 6, 2011, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Awesome report!

Personally, I would have put one of those LAN snifters from the SCL club into my carry on. Very cool! ^
Old Oct 6, 2011, 6:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
What an amazing finish to an unbelievable journey olafman. I could feel the emotion in your words. I think that you and your partner should be very proud of the adventure that you've had together with your son. Very inspirational! ^

I'm only sorry that it is all over now.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 6:52 pm

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
What an incredible year all three of you have just enjoyed! ^
And thanks for great TRs.
All the best!
Old Oct 7, 2011, 5:47 am

Programs: Asiana, The Old NWA, Cathay Pacific
Welcome Home !

great finale !

e.d.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 10:45 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Very nice photos. Thanks!
Old Oct 7, 2011, 2:40 pm

Programs: Too many
Finally!! The best report ever, have also read the blog too. All the best to all of you!
Old Oct 7, 2011, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Well, there's more to come. Our RTW ticket ended in London. So just four weeks later we continued on to London for a friend's wedding. Then home in BA First. Two more trip reports to come!
Old Oct 8, 2011, 5:02 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Thanks

Great report. Thanks for taking all the effort to create them!
Old Oct 8, 2011, 6:08 am

I have really enjoyed your reports of your adventures. Great photos too. You make a wonderful family. Glad to hear that more travel is coming soon.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 8:42 pm

I'm laughing out loud about your timeshare comment. Thank you for that.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 10:26 pm

Very entertaining. Thanks. What about Corbin's school? Home schooling?
Old Oct 9, 2011, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bretteee
Very entertaining. Thanks. What about Corbin's school? Home schooling?
After home schooling Corbin throughout our entire year of travel, his two dads are very happy to send him to the middle school five blocks from our house. He has wonderful teachers there and has made good friends.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.