Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Changes in Latitudes; Change in Seasons; Delays

Old Oct 4, 2011, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels

Tour of Duty 25th August 2011 to 28th September 2011
Part One

After being home for a spell it was time for me to hit the road. I accepted a trip from East Chicago, IN to Beulah, ND and the company booked me a nonstop on WN from LAX to MDW. Minutes before I was scheduled to leave the house I heard from the company that trip was cancelled so the company instead booked me nonstop LAX to MSP on SY for a trip from Dodge Center, MN to Edmonton, AB.

I got to LAX and checked in. I was told the plane was overbooked. I checked my bags which weighed 48 and 45lbs. I got upgraded to First Class but was excused only from the first bag fee. I cleared security after getting in queue for WTMD not Rapiscan. Contents of my boot bag were swabbed.

Sun Country #426 LAX-MSP B-737-800
Seat 3A First Class Cruising altitude 37,000 feet Estimated flying time 2:59, actual 2:59
Depart: Gate 22 Scheduled 17h35, actual 17h33 Taxi: 13 minutes
Arrive: Gate H5 Scheduled 22h55, actual 22h51 Taxi: 5 minutes
Reclaim bags 12 minutes after arrival

We boarded via jetway and I was the very first to board. I got a predeparture drink, cup of soda. Pushback was 2 minutes early and takeoff was to the west and over the ocean. I saw the South Bay, Palos Verdes Peninsula and Catalina Island. At 0:02 we turned south and circled around and I saw LAX, downtown, Santa Monica, Malibu and the San Fernando Valley.

Landfall was at 0:05 and I saw Interstate 10, the Hollywood Hills, Glendale, Pasadena and the Rose Bowl before going over the San Gabriel Mountains and I saw Mt. Wilson. Then we went over the High Desert and I saw what used to be George AFB in Victorville and US395 and the dry bed of the Mojave River. Then I saw Interstate 15 and Barstow and the truckstops in the Lenwood area. At 0:21 I saw Ft. Irwin and at 0:23 the seatbelt sign went off. At 0:31 I saw part of the Las Vegas metro area partly blocked by clouds.

Dig E Players were handed out. I saw what looked to be Mesquite, NV at
0:38. At 0:51 I got cheese and crackers and a minute later I got a glass of soda. At 1:12 I got dinner: a roll, butter, salad, ranch dressing, bottled water, some sort of chicken breast, some cooked carrots and something else I could not define. Seatbelt sign went on at 1:14 and off again at 1:28 and I was unaware of location due to extensive cloud cover. At 1:37 I got chocolate chip cookie.

At 1:40 it was announced we were north of Denver and it was 70F and clear at MSP and we were expecting arrival around 22h45. At 2:35 seatbelt sign went on and descent started and was announced at the same time. The stewardess came through at 2:49 with hot towels. I saw the lights of downtown Minneapolis on final and we landed west northwest to east southeast and arrived at gate 4 minutes early at the Humphrey Terminal. I hired a taxi to motel and spent the night in Richfield, MN.

Next morning I hired taxi back to MSP and took the Rochester Direct to Dodge Center where I made the pickup.

Trip: Dodge Center, MN to Edmonton, AB 1,386 paid miles
Route: US14 to Interstate 35 to Interstate 35W to Interstate 494 to Interstate 94 to Interstate 29 to US2 to US281 to North Dakota 5 to US52 to Saskatchewan 39 to Saskatchewan 6 to Saskatchewan 11 to Saskatchewan and Alberta 16 (Yellowhead Highway).
Maximum elevation: unknown but about 2,300 feet in Edmonton, AB
Highest diesel price (Canada): $1.119CAD/litre at Husky Regina, SK
Lowest diesel price (Canada): $1.039CAD/litre at Flying J Sherwood Park, AB
Highest diesel price (USA): $3.999/gallon at Cenex Kenmare, ND
Lowest diesel price (USA): $3.859/gallon at Petro Fargo, ND
Make: Mack
Model: Garbage Truck
Transmission: Automatic
Permits required: MN Trip Permit

The weather was good. I stopped in Lakeville, MN and had dinner at Baldy's BBQ. I cleared the Twin Cities and spent the first night in Sauk Centre, MN.

Saturday I continued and elected to take a northerly route to see some different territory. I had an excellent Prime Rib sandwich at the Ranch House in Devils Lake, ND. I spent the night in Rolla, ND.

Sunday morning I attended service at Turtle Mountain Independent Baptist Church in Rolla, ND. The message was on Matthew 13:1-23, the Parable of the Sower. I saw Rolla then got rolling and saw Dunseith and took a little side trip to the International Peace Garden where I took some pictures. Then I continued and saw Bottineau and Mohall before taking on fuel in Kenmare and crossing the border at North Portal, SK. I spent the night in Weyburn, SK.

Monday it looked wet in Weyburn but I did not get rained on. It was windy in Regina and I saw the sunset in Radisson, SK. I was going to stay at a motel in Lloydminster but the parking lot was too full for the truck so I ended up staying at another motel but still spent the night in Lloydminster, SK.

Monday it clouded up and I saw drizzle/light rain from Vermillion to Vegreville, AB. I made a pit stop and took on a little fuel in Sherwood Park, AB before making delivery in Edmonton. I spent the night at a friends house in Edmonton, AB.

Following day I heard there was a truck going from Edmonton to Ft. Worth, TX so I went to the address on the paperwork and was directed to a location on the other side of town. I was unable to make the pickup because the truck would not start due to a bad starter and it would be at least the next day before it was fixed. I attended midweek service at Bible Presbyterian Church in Edmonton and the sermon was on the latter part of Jonah 1. I spent a second night at my friends house in Edmonton, AB.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Part Two

Trip: Edmonton, AB to Ft. Worth, TX 2,152 paid milesRoute: Alberta 216 to Alberta 2 to Alberta 3 to Alberta 4 to Interstate 15 to Montana 3 to Interstate 90 to US26 to Nebraska 71 to Nebraska 92 back to US26 to US385 to Interstate 80 to US81 to Interstate 135 to Interstate 35 to Interstate 35W Maximum elevation: unknown but over 5,600 feet on Interstate 25 in Douglas, WY
Highest diesel price (Canada): $1.059CAD/litre at Road King Calgary, AB
Lowest diesel price (Canada): $1.049CAD/litre at Flying J Sherwood Park, AB
Highest diesel price (USA): $3.989/gallon at Town Pump Shelby/Billings, MT
Lowest diesel price (USA): $3.739/gallon at Flying J Oklahoma City, OK
Make: Kenworth
Model: Cab/chassis 5 axles 2 steer axles, 3 rear axles
Transmission: Standard, 18 speed
Permits required: MT, WY and NE Trip Permits

Thursday the 1st of September I got word the truck was ready so I made the pickup. This truck had a bad turning radius due to two steer axles. I got rolling and spent the first night in Nanton, AB.

Friday morning it was 5C/41F and it rained overnight. I crossed the border and when I took on fuel in Shelby two busloads of high schoolers came and the truckstop was a zoo with a long queue. I saw rainbows south of Shelby and ended up spending the night in Great Falls, MT.

Saturday there was good weather but it was 39F in Great Falls when I woke up but warmed up to the high 50's by the time I woke up. A problem developed with the door lock on the drivers side. The door would open from the inside only with force but stay locked from the outside and neither the key nor the electronic device would unlock it. To make a long story short I simply used the passenger side door for the duration of the trip. I spent the night in Sheridan, WY.

Sunday morning I attended service at Grace Baptist in Sheridan, WY. The message was on Acts 7:42-60 a study on Stephen's message and the consequences of his death. I stopped in Kaycee, WY and saw a statue of the late Chris LeDoux. Chris LeDoux was a rodeo champion and musician. I attended evening service at Frontier Baptist in Douglas, WY and the message was on Ezekiel 36. I ended up spending the night in Torrington, WY.

Monday it was warm. I had to top off the coolant level and then I went through Scottsbluff, NE before catching Interstate 80 in Sidney, NE. I spent the night in Grand Island, NE.

Tuesday it was a nice day and warm but not hot and it was a routine day. I headed south on US81 and the speed limit went up to 70 when I entered Kansas then 75 just past Minneapolis, KS. I had a KC Strip Steak at Newell's Truckstop in Newton, KS before spending the night in Oklahoma City, OK.

Wednesday I got pulled in at the weigh scale in Davis, OK and the officer just wanted to see the IFTA licence. I got to Ft. Worth but too late to make delivery. A friend of mine took me to Ft. Worth Baptist Temple and the sermon was on spiritual success. I spent the night in Ft. Worth, TX.

Thursday I delivered the truck. A friend of mine picked me up. I had two BBQ Beef Brisket sandwiches at Smokey's BBQ in Ft. Worth. Later I found out the next trip would be Irving, TX to Kansas City, KS but I found out too late to make the pickup. I saw a little of Dallas then spent the night in Irving, TX.

Trip: Irving, TX to Kansas City, KS 545 paid miles
Route: Loop 12 to Interstate 35E to Interstate 635 to US75 to US69 to Indian Nation Turnpike to US75 to Interstate 44 to Interstate 244 to US169 to Interstate 35 to Interstate 435 to Kansas 9
Maximum elevation: unknown
Diesel price: $3.739/gallon at Big D Irving, TX and Flying J Tulsa, OK
Make: International
Model: Garbage Truck
Permits required: none

I made the pickup and found out I would not be able to deliver until Monday. Parts of US75 and 69 were rough especially in Oklahoma. I spent the first night in Tulsa, OK.

Saturday I saw some of downtown Tulsa then fuelled up and made a stop in Catoosa where I saw "The Whale" an iconic roadside attraction on old route 66. Then I headed back to Tulsa and headed north on US169. I stopped in Coffeyville, KS to take pictures then made a pitstop in Chanute, KS. I saw a nice sunset near Iola, KS before shutting down and spending the night in Lenexa, KS.

Sunday morning I was picked up and taken to Victory Baptist Church in Kansas City, MO. I attended Sunday School and we talked about Pilgrims Progress. It is easier to leave the Narrow Way than return to it. Then I attended the main service and the message was on "The Great Dangers of Riches" based on Mark 10:23-27. Then there was lunch. The afternoon service message was entitled "The Children" based on Proverbs 20:1. Then I saw some of Kansas City then was taken back to motel where I spent another night in Lenexa, KS.

Monday it was warm and forecast to be 90F in Kansas City. I made delivery and then was told to go to the airport. The company booked me on a flight to Baltimore as the next trip was Columbia, MD to Dallas, TX. I got a ride to MCI. I checked in and bags weighed 49 and 48lbs. I cleared security after a short queue and there was no secondary screening and no hand search of carry ons.

Southwest #365 MCI-BWI B-737-300 Boarding Pass B4 Seat 22F
Cruising altitude 29,000 feet Estimated flying time 2:15, actual 2:16
Depart: Gate 41 Scheduled 18h25, actual 18h55 Taxi/hold: 8 minutes
Arrive: Gate B6 Scheduled 21h55, actual 22h25 Taxi: 5 minutes
Reclaim bags 12 minutes after arrival

Plane was late arriving. We boarded via jetway. The plane was not full, only 60 passengers. It was announced it was 80F and clear at BWI. Pushback was 30 minutes late. Takeoff was to the south southeast. I saw downtown Kansas City to the distance and Interstate 29. It was a hazy day. We crossed Interstate 35 at 0:02. I saw the Missouri River as it headed east. Seatbelt sign went off at 0:17 upon reaching cruise.

At 0:23 I got pretzels and pita chips. At 0:25 we crossed the Mississippi River far enough north of St. Louis I did not see the city. At 0:33 there was a drink run and I got cup of soda. At 0:35 I saw what looked like the junction of Intestate 55 and 72 over Springfield, IL. I saw sunset to the west over Illinois west of Springfield. Darkness fell and at 0:55 I saw the lights of Indianapolis ans at 1:10 I saw what looked to be Dayton, OH with Cincinnati to the distance. At 1:18 I saw lights of the south part of Columbus, OH.

There was another drink run at 1:33 and I got can of soda. I thought I felt descent at 1:44. Seatbelt sign went on and descent was announced at 1:50 and the weather at BWI was clear. At 1:59 I saw what looked to be Frederick, MD and junction of Interstates 70 and 270. At 2:08 I saw downtown Baltimore then the port. We made turn south and I saw Interstate 695 and the Francis Scott Key Bridge. We turned west and landed east to west. We arrived at gate 30 minutes late.

After I reclaimed my bags I got shuttle to hotel and spent night in Linthicum, MD.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Just kick back, relax, have a margarita. It's 5 o'clock somewhere.

This parrot head could not resist your set-up!

Last edited by tentseller; Oct 4, 2011 at 8:23 pm
Old Oct 5, 2011, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Part Three

Trip: Columbia, MD to Dallas, TX 1,344 paid miles
Route: Maryland 108 to Maryland 100 to Interstate 95 to Maryland 100 to US29 to Interstate 70 to Interstate 81 to Interstate 40 to Tennessee 155 (Briley Parkway) back to Interstate 40 to Interstate 30 to Interstate 635
Maximum elevation: unknown but Wytheville, VA on Interstate 81 is listed at 2,299 feet.
Highest diesel price (USA): $3.939/gallon at TA Jessup, MD
Lowest diesel price (USA): $3.659/gallon at Flying J Knoxville, TN
Make: GMC
Model: Straight (box) truck
Permits required: none

I hired a taxi to the shipper and made the pickup. After I went to the nearest truckstop and filled the main tank I found the fuel gauge was not working. I got rolling and the weigh scale on Interstate 70 west of Baltimore was open. Shortly thereafter, near Lisbon, MD, something did not feel right so I got to the breakdown lane and the truck conked out. I broke out the emergency triangles. I rang dispatch and then the breakdown number. A service unit came out and the person thought it was a bad fuel pump. Something was done (I'm not an expert) which I thought was a temporary fix. I got back on the Interstate and initially the truck would do only 20mph so I limped to the next exit. I was unable to contact dispatch after hours so I made my way to motel, shut down and spent the night in Mt. Airy, MD.

Wednesday I got rolling and the truck was behaving better. I stopped at a rest area between Frederick and Hagerstown and saw the very first sign of fall colours. The fuel gauge started working. I topped off the fuel in Hagerstown, MD before heading south on Interstate 81. I stopped off at a truckstop near Winchester, VA to forward some paperwork to the company.

When I came back to the truck I saw a tractor trailer stopped only inches from my truck and it looked like he was not able to complete his turn to pull through and park. I looked and thought the guy did not hit my truck so I backed up so the tractor trailer driver was able to pull through and park. Afterward I saw a crack on the back of the mirror assembly on the passenger side. I checked the passenger side corner of his trailer and saw a black smudge mark on the front corner of the trailer at the same height as the mirror assembly on my truck.

To make a long story short I rang dispatch and then got a hold of the Virginia State Police. An officer finally showed up and took statements and declined to pursue the matter or write a report as neither I or anyone else saw the other truck actually hit mine. However I filled out an accident report and faxed it to the company.

When I got rolling again it started raining and there was also thunder and lightning. The rain got heavy and I had to stop a few times due to poor visibility and a lot of water on the road. There was a lot of lightning in New Market, VA. Finally I made it to Natural Bridge, VA where I spent the night.

Next day I made a brief stop in Buchanan, VA then continued. There was some light to moderate rain which quit by the time I hit Tennessee. I saw just a few fall colours at the higher elevations on Interstate 81 in Virginia. I spent the night in Crossville, TN.

Friday I continued and had lunch at General Lee's BBQ in Cookeville, TN. After a stop in Nashville I continued to Parkers Crossroads, TN where I had all you can eat seafood buffet, including catfish, shrimp, clam strips and frog legs, at Baileys Restaraunt. A few drops of rain fell after dinner and I used the windshield wipers intermittently. I crossed the Mississippi River and spent the night in Hite, AR. Saturday was a routine day with clear and warm weather. I made it to Texarkana, AR.

Sunday morning it was raining when I woke up but quit by the time I arrived at church. I attended morning service at Texarkana Reformed Baptist Church and the message was on Colossians 3:12-14 the positive aspects of sanctification. I had a late lunch/early dinner at Soulmans BBQ in Royse City, TX. I shut down and saw lightning after sunset and there was a thunderstorm with wind and heavy rain. I spent the night in Garland, TX.

Monday I delivered the truck in Dallas and a friend of mine picked me up and I got word I'd fly Southwest so after lunch I was dropped off at Love Field. I checked in and my bags weighed 49.5 and 48lbs. I cleared security after a short queue and there was no secondary screening and no hand search of carry ons.

Southwest #33 DAL-HOU B-737-300 Boarding Pass A55 Seat 21F
Cruising altitude not given Estimated flying time 0:43, actual 0:43
Depart: Gate 6 Scheduled 14h30, actual 14h36 Taxi: 6 minutes
Arrive: Gate 44 Scheduled 15h35, actual 15h31 Taxi: 5 minutes

We boarded via jetway. The plane was not full. It was announced it was cloudy and 80F at HOU. Drink orders were taken while at the gate. Pushback was 6 minutes late. Takeoff was to the north. I saw US75 and Interstate 635then we made a "U" turn at 0:02 and headed south. I saw DFW, Texas 360 and Arlington, TX including the Rangers baseball stadium and the Cowboys football stadium.

At 0:14 I got cup of soda. I saw what looked to be Interstate 35 and Waco, TX to the right. I got pretzels at 0:15 and we made turn to the southeast. I felt descent begin at 0:18 and it was announced it was 82F at HOU. Seatbelt sign stayed on the entire flight and there were a few bumps. Clouds started to increase as we approached HOU. I saw US59 and the Astrodome and Reliant Stadium. We landed to the east southeast and arrived at gate 4 minutes early.

During layover at HOU I had a dinner of fried crawfish and french fries at Pappadeaux.

Southwest #492 HOU-ABQ B-737-700 Boarding Pass B35 Seat 23A
Cruising altitude not given Estimated flying time 1:50, actual 1:45
Depart: Gate 20 Scheduled 17h20, actual 17h48 Taxi: 5 minutes
Arrive: Gate A8 Scheduled 18h25, actual 18h42 Taxi: 3 minutes

We boarded via jetway. All 137 seats were taken. I was fortunate to get the window seat at the rear which was the last seat that was not a middle seat. Pushback was 28 minutes late. Takeoff was to the south southeast then we turned west.

At 0:21 I saw AUS and Austin, TX below. At 0:23 I got baked Pita Chips. Seatbelt sign went off at 0:35. There was drink run and I got cup of soda at 0:41. At 0:46 I got another cup of soda. At 0:56 I saw what may have been MAF and Odessa, TX.

I felt descent begin at 1:24 and I was unsure of location. Descent was announced and seatbelt sign went on at 1:26 and it was announced it was partly cloudy with light rain and 76F at ABQ. At 1:38 we went over the Manzano Mountains. At 1:40 I saw the Rio Grande then Interstate 25 and at 1:42 we turned to head north northeast. Ww landed to the north northeast and arrived at gate 17 minutes late. After a count of through passengers I changed seats.

Southwest #492 ABQ-SEA B-737-700 Thru passenger Seat 4A
Cruising altitude 40,000 feet Estimated flying time not given, actual 2:42
Depart: Gate A8 Scheduled 18h50, actual 19h12 Taxi: 7 minutes
Arrive: Gate B12 Scheduled 20h55, actual 21h07 Taxi: 5 minutes
Reclaim bags 17-20 minutes after arrival

The plane was not full and I heard there were 92 passengers. Pushback was 22 minutes late and takeoff was to the east. I saw the Sandia Mountains. We turned north then northwest and I saw Interstate 40 and the Albuquerque area along with rain shafts. I saw the sunset norhtwest of ABQ in northwest New Mexico.

Seatbelt sign went off at 0:30. There was a drink run and I got cup of soda at 0:38. I got Pita Chips at 0:46. I got pretzels at 0:50. Seatbelt sign went on at 1:12 due to bumps. At 1:40 I saw the lights of Boise, ID and vicinity. At 1:45 I got water. At 1:47 I saw lights of what looked to be Ontario, OR. Seatbelt sign went off at 1:52.

I thought I felt descent begin at 2:17 but was unsure of location, possibly Yakima, WA. Seatbelt sign went on at 2:31 and it was announced it was 60F and clear with light winds from the north at SEA. I saw the lights of Tacoma at 2:37 and I saw Puget Sound on final. We landed south to north and arrived at gate 12 minutes late. After I collected my bags I got shuttle to motel and spent night in Seatac, WA.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Part Four

Trip: Redmond, WA to Fort St. John, BC 931 paid miles
Route: Washington 520 to Interstate 405 to Interstate 5 to Washington 543 to British Columbia 15 to British Columbia 10 to British Columbia 1 to British Columbia 97 (Cariboo, Hart and Alaska Highways)
Maximum elevation: 1,127 metres at Begbie Summit near 93 Mile House, BC
Highest Diesel (Canada): $1.289/litre at Husky Cache Creek, BC
Lowest Diesel (Canada): $1.219/litre At Husky Hope and Prince George, BC
Make: Kenworth tractor with trailer
Model: Cement Mixer
Transmission: 8-speed
Permits required: WA and BC Trip Permits

A friend of mine picked me up and took me to the shipper. I had only one licence plate so the company got a Washington Trip Permit for the trailer as well as the truck. I learned I needed to clear the title at US Customs and it was too late for me to make it in time so after heavy traffic as far as Everett I stopped for dinner in Mount Vernon then shut down and spent the night in Ferndale, WA.

Wednesday I learned that the company was going to courier me a licence plate for the trailer so I had to stay put for another night. I did take a walk to downtown Ferndale and took some pictures. I was picked up and taken to Bellingham Baptist Church for the midweek service. The church had a new pastor and this was his first sermon which was on First Samuel 4 on the subject of departing from God and returning. There was a little light rain.

Thursday the licence plate came and it was a chore for me to take an old Washington plate off and attach the new plate. Once that was done I got to Blaine, WA and got the title cleared at US Customs then crossed the border. Since there was a trailer it took the broker longer with the paperwork then at customs I was asked about prior issues at the border and a background check was done. I was finally cleared and made it as far as Hope, BC.

Friday dawned cloudy but the scenery was stunning with the mountains reaching into the clouds. I proceeded north on the Trans Canada Highway #1 through Fraser Canyon and it looked like I was in a rainforest. There was some light rain but nothing major. It cleared up and dried up and winds picked up as I approached Cache Creek. It was arid in Cache Creek, and going from Hope, BC to Cache Creek, BC was like going from western Washington or Oregon to eastern Washington or Oregon in terms of climate. I ended up spending the night in 100 Mile House, BC.

Saturday I continued north and it was warm and sunny to start but it clouded over as I proceeded. I made brief stops in Williams Lake and McLeese Lake. I took pictures in Quesnel and then got into the clouds north of there. I took on fuel in Prince George and it quit raining there by the time I arrived.

Sunday it was foggy and 4C when I woke but the fog lifted and it warmed up. I headed to a parking spot on the north side of Prince George and parked and was taken to church. I attended the morning service at Heritage Free Presbyterian Church in Prince George and Sunday School was on Baptism and the main message was on First Kings 10:1-3. Afterward I had lunch at the church before I was taken back to the truck and got rolling.

I stopped briefly at Bear Lake then Mackenzie Junction. Rain started at Mackenzie Junction. I stopped and saw a waterfall at Bijoux Falls Park. Then I topped Pine Summit and saw more scenery before encountering construction. Parts of the highway were washed out earlier so construction is underway to rebuild the highway so some areas are no longer paved. The construction delayed me and darkness fell but I finally got through and spent the night in Chetwynd, BC.

Monday morning I awoke to a glorious fall day. The skies were blue and the fall colours were at or very near their peak. Almost all the colour was yellow with few exceptions. I took some pictures of Chetwynd then got rolling. There was a steep downgrade into the Pine River Valley then an upgrade. There was another steep downgrade, at one point up to 10 percent on Taylor Mountain down to the Peace River at Taylor, BC. There was a delay at the bottom of that grade.

When I got to Taylor I rang dispatch to say I'd make delivery shortly and discussed plans to get me home. The company wanted to put me on Greyhound for 26 hours all the way to Seattle then fly me home. I was not keen on that long of a bus ride so I talked the company into busing me as far as Prince George the next day then I would lay over one night then fly me on West Jet nonstop to Las Vegas then Southwest to California and home.

I finally made it to Fort St. John and made delivery. After I checked into motel I took a walk and took some pictures and there was some light rain before I got back to the motel. I spent the night in Fort St. John, BC.

Last edited by Loose Cannon; Oct 5, 2011 at 3:47 am
Old Oct 5, 2011, 1:49 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Silver
Great report, great detail as always LC ^
Old Oct 5, 2011, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Part Five

Tuesday morning the 27th of September I rose early and it was 5C when I woke up. I hired a taxi to the bus depot then purchased a ticket to Prince George. Upon boarding the driver did a cursory check of carry ons.

Greyhound #5096 Fort St. John, BC to Dawson Creek, BC
Scheduled departure 08h15, Scheduled Arrival 09h15

The bus was not full and left on time. We arrived on time at Dawson Creek and I observed to make sure my checked baggage was properly transferred. Then I had just enough time to use the washroom before boarding the next bus.

Greyhound #5045 Dawson Creek, BC to Prince George, BC
Scheduled departure 09h30, Scheduled Arrival 16h00

This bus also was not full. We left on time and took a meal break in Chetwynd before proceeding. We were held up some due to construction then stopped in Mackenzie, BC and after that made a very brief stop in Bear Lake, BC. There was some rain en route but it quit before we reached Prince George. We were a few minutes late arriving into Prince George where I hired a taxi to take me to motel. Due to extensive cloud cover I did not see the Northern Lights. I spent the night in Prince George, BC.

Wednesday the pastor of Heritage Free Presbyterian Church picked me up and took me around Prince George and I took some pictures before being dropped off at the airport. I checked in and my bags weighed 49.1 and 47.7lbs. I paid $22.40CAD for the second checked bag. I got a bite to eat before clearing security and there was no queue but my briefcase was looked at. In the boarding lounge an announcement was made that if your boarding pass has an SSSS on it to see the security agents who were set up near the gate. Some people were selected for additional screening but I was not.

West Jet #1914 YXS-LAS B-737-700
Seat 3F Cruising altitude 41,000 feet Estimated flying time 2:55, actual 2:48
Depart: Gate 1 Scheduled 15h00, actual 14h58 Taxi: 4 minutes
Arrive: Gate 1 Scheduled 18h20, actual 17h55 Taxi: 5 minutes
Reclaim bags 10 minutes after arrival

YXS has no jetways sw we boarded the old fashioned way. There was a ramp to the front entrance of the aircraft. The plane was not full, in fact most seats were not taken. I understand that YXS to LAS service only runs from
10 September to 26 November. It was announced it was 35C at LAS.

Pushback was 2 minutes early followed by takeoff to the south. I saw the Fraser River then Highway 97 and the weigh scale in the median. We made turn and headed south southeast. Seatbelt sign went off at 0:16 upon reaching cruise.

At about 0:22 the stewardess came and BOB was offered and I got a ham and swiss sandwich. I saw what looked to be the Kamloops area and the Trans Canada Highway below. I saw some snowcapped peaks of the Rockies peeking out of the clouds. Clouds increased some as we headed south and at 0:31 I saw what may have been the Kelowna area.

At 0:38 there was drink run and I got cup of soda plus a bag of Bits and Bites. At 0:43 I saw what looked to be Bonners Ferry, ID. At 0:49 I saw what looked to be Lake Pend 'Orielle and Sandpoint, ID. At 0:57 I saw what looked to be Coeur d'Alene and Lake Coeur d'Alene and smoke from fires. At 1:00 we crossed over Interstate 90 and I saw what looked to be Wallace, ID. Cloud cover blocked the view of Lewiston, ID but I saw the Snake River and crossed the Clearwater River. I saw some wild conuntry in Idaho. At 1:39 we crossed Interstate 84 and I saw Twin Falls and the Snake River. At 1:52 I saw Interstate and the Great Salt Lake to the left.

The plane was so empty enough I was able to to look at the view from both sides. I saw some Salt Flats near Wendover. It appeared descent began at 2:02 over the deserts of western Utah. Water was offered at 2:18. I saw part of Zion National Park at 2:22 on the left and saw St. George, UT on the left at 2:24. Then I saw the Virgin River Gorge.

At 2:26 it was announced we were on our way down. At 2:28 I saw Mesquite, NV on the right and seatbelt sign went on at 2:30. At 2:36 I saw Lake Mead and the Las Vegas Metro area to the distance. We made various turns. At 2:41 it was announced Hoover Dam was visible out the window to the left. We landed east to west and arrived at gate 25 minutes early.

We deplaned via jetway at the International Terminal and proceeded to US Customs and Immigration. I showed my passport at the booth then collected my luggage than turned in the Customs Declaration Card. I was asked what was in my briefcase and also asked what foods I have (I had candy and almonds and cashews). A couple of Canadians had to be told to turn their phones off. This customs clearance went very quick and smooth for me.

I proceeded to the other terminal and inquired if I could get an earlier flight and was told yes for $66 so I opted for the original flight. I checked in and checked bags which weighed 46 and 44.5lbs. I cleared security and there was no queue but before I knew it I was sent through the scanner. After the scanner I was patted down on my back and right leg. There was no hand search of carry ons.

Southwest #175 LAS-LAX B-737-700 Boarding Pass A57 Seat 22F
Cruising altitude not given Estimated flying time 0:41, actual 0:39
Depart: Gate B12 Scheduled 21h50, actual 22h04 Taxi: 9 minutes
Arrive: Gate 11 Scheduled 23h10, actual 23h02 Taxi: 9 minutes
Reclaim bags 18 minutes after arrival

The gate was changed from B14 to B12 as another flight was late. We boarded via jetway. The plane was mostly but not totally full. Announcement was made it was 65F and cloudy at LAX. Pushback was 14 minutes late followed by takeoff to west then turn to south. At 0:05 I saw Interstate 15 and Primm, NV. We reached cruise and seatbelt sign went off at 0:09. At 0:10 I saw Baker, CA. Then I saw the lights of Ft. Irwin to the distance.

At 0:16 I saw the lights of Barstow. At 0:19 the lights of Victorville came into view. I felt descent at 0:20. I got pretzels at 0:21 and cup of soda at 0:23 over San Bernardino. Descent was announced and seatbelt sign went on at 0:26 over Bloomington, CA. I saw ONT at 0:28 and the LA County Fairgrounds in Pomona at 0:30. We crossed the 57 freeway at 0:31. I saw haze increase over the south San Gabriel Valley. Cloud cover blocked the view but I saw the lights of Mt. Wilson sticking up.

I felt a bump on descent and we went into the clouds at 0:37 and under the clouds at 0:38 on final as we crossed the 405. We landed east to west and arrived at gate 8 minutes early. After I collected my bags I got a shuttle and returned home and thus ends this tour of duty.

Last edited by Loose Cannon; Oct 5, 2011 at 4:45 am
Old Oct 5, 2011, 8:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Great TR! You got within 45 minutes of my dinky hometown when you were in Sauk Centre, MN!

Also, what did you think of Soulman's BBQ in Royse City, TX? We have one close to me out here in Van, TX, but I have never stopped to try it. Friends have said it's pretty average.

Great details, thanks again! ^
Old Oct 5, 2011, 9:00 am

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
Thanks for the interesting report.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by econometrics
Great TR! You got within 45 minutes of my dinky hometown when you were in Sauk Centre, MN!

Also, what did you think of Soulman's BBQ in Royse City, TX? We have one close to me out here in Van, TX, but I have never stopped to try it. Friends have said it's pretty average.

Great details, thanks again! ^
I had not one but TWO large BBQ Beef Brisket Sandwiches. And I've been there before. That oughtta tell you something.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 3:45 pm

Programs: Non-Rev Lifetime
Thursday the 1st of September I got word the truck was ready so I made the pickup. This truck had a bad turning radius due to two steer axles
"two steer axles"

What's the reason for this? Is it like crab steering?
Old Oct 5, 2011, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PropWasher
"two steer axles"

What's the reason for this? Is it like crab steering?
Probably because the truck was rated for heavier weights.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by Loose Cannon
I had not one but TWO large BBQ Beef Brisket Sandwiches. And I've been there before. That oughtta tell you something.
In the words of Roy D. Mercer, just how big-a-boy are ya?! I couldn't manhandle two BBQ sandwiches in one sitting if I tried, well done! ^

Thanks for letting me know, I'll have to try it out.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 3:19 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
It's nice that you got to "stop and smell the roses" a little bit on this trip.
I'm always rushing around on my business trips.
Does your employer not give you a specific deadline that you have to meet for delivery?
Old Oct 11, 2011, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by g_leyser
It's nice that you got to "stop and smell the roses" a little bit on this trip.
I'm always rushing around on my business trips.
Does your employer not give you a specific deadline that you have to meet for delivery?
More often than not no. Sometimes I'm expected to deliver on a particular DAY which means whenever the customer is open for business as opposed to say a grocery warehouse where I've had firm appointments at 03h00 for example.

NEXT: WN757 bright and early tomorrow LAX-OAK-PDX then rental car to RDM then taxi to Prineville, OR then trip from Prineville, OR to Innisfil, ON 2,524 paid miles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.