Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Multi-Modal-Mayhem - To Toronto with a bevvy of Economy madness...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Multi-Modal-Mayhem - To Toronto with a bevvy of Economy madness...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2011, 6:28 pm

Programs: Non-Rev Lifetime
Originally Posted by Kevincm
And that saddens me in a lot, in respect as there are some wonderful places yet to explore in the north (from Montreal to Edmonton, to Calgary and to the far north of the great country). The people once you get past the border are friendly and warm, and the mixture of types of food you can eat is quite frankly amazing. However, the bottom line is that whilst Canadian Border Services seems to enjoy picking on me each time I go into the country, I’ll avoid the place, and take my tourist money elsewhere.
I made the same vow (sort of) after umpteen unpleasant dealings with CBSA.

I no longer travel outside Canada.

Last edited by PropWasher; Sep 25, 2011 at 6:47 pm
Old Sep 25, 2011, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Originally Posted by Paint Horse
So the Air Canada TATL was a continuation of the Brussels Air flight on a single ticket.
Indeed. It was a single ticket all the way - and I had to dump the last portion thanks to the office.

I like the description of the fix to the server. So simple, but one must maintain a certain level of mystery concerning such things. No need to let the children know all the secrets, if we want to remain indispensable and thus employed. I used to do that sort of work before I began teaching others how to do so. I do miss spending many a happy hour in a dim and cool server room with no sound other than the gentle humming of cooling fans.
Being an IT Manager/Systems Administrator/BOFH, it's an art to make the complex look easy, and the complex out of the way of the user.

And it keeps me in a job

Alas, my comms room has about 14 servers, 3 switches, and an industrial air con system to keep the lot cool. But it's a nice place to go away when the rest of the office is being a pain

Originally Posted by ND76
Chiltern has offered a "rover" ticket where for GBP39 you can get a ticket good for unlimited rides on their system for 3 days (all hours on the weekends, after 0930 on working days). I found this when doing a combination mileage run and "four racetrack, four day trip" (Aqueduct in New York on Thursday, Monmore Green greyhounds on Friday (I made it a doubleheader by attending a rare Friday night fixture at the Hawthorns in West Bromwich), Warwick National Hunt on Saturday and Vincennes trotting races on Sunday. I stayed at a nice little inn just down the ramp from the Warwick stop on the Chiltern line. I flew Delta to LGW, used my GBP9 national rail ticket to go to Clapham Jct via Southern and then connect on a SouthWestTrain to Waterloo, then take the Bakerloo line to Marylebone. Their trains were at the very least OK, and I enjoyed my travel with them.
Ahh. Monomore Green in Wolves (I studied there for a good few days) and West Brom (Bus 80, 74 or 75).

Chiltern offer a great alterntative to other carriers, and the rover ticket isn't a bad option. Alas, 9/10 times when travelling on Chiltern, I need to get to London, then quickly get out

Thanks ND76

Interesting. I have visited Canada several times, all by air, with no problems at all. All they ever wanted to know was why I was there, to board a cruise ship, and the name of the ship.

I have always found Canadians to be very friendly, but distinctly different from Americans.
Alas Paint Horse, I must be in their profiling system somewhere as I can count only 2 of them that have been reasonably friendly. The rest act worse than lounge dragons as if I'm going to start up a riot or something.

It isn't a friendly way to be greeted to another land.

Beyond the border, I have no issues with Canadians. Lovely people. It's those at the border I have a truck with (and obviously they have a truck with me).

Thanks Paint Horse.

Originally Posted by PropWasher
I made the same vow (sort of) after umpteen unpleasant dealings with CBSA.

I no longer travel outside Canada.
I'm sorry that they drove you to that PropWasher. Almost makes you wish you could hold them to account in a public forum.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:02 pm

Nice trip report - thanks for taking the time/effort to share your travel experience!
Old Sep 26, 2011, 1:18 am

It's pretty clear that Canadian Immigration has your card marked. Maybe they all read FlyerTalk: have you considered writing something nice about them by way of experiment?

I'll be flying LHR-YYZ-SEA on Saturday, so won't have to enter Canada. So I get the nice AC service without the Canadian Immigration hassle.

I'm surprised you felt the need to use the GhettoIFE on AC, though. I've never had a problem finding something I want to watch/listen to, even on their CR7!

Thanks for the TR.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 3:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bowdenj
Nice trip report - thanks for taking the time/effort to share your travel experience!
No problem. Glad you enjoyed

Originally Posted by Weean
It's pretty clear that Canadian Immigration has your card marked. Maybe they all read FlyerTalk: have you considered writing something nice about them by way of experiment?
I actually did in the April Run! Seems they're back to they're useless ways again...

I'll be flying LHR-YYZ-SEA on Saturday, so won't have to enter Canada. So I get the nice AC service without the Canadian Immigration hassle.
YVR>USA Pre-clearance is a piece of cake. One of the better immigration experiences I've had. The Trans-border Maple Leaf Lounge is good as well. Enjoy the trip!

I'm surprised you felt the need to use the GhettoIFE on AC, though. I've never had a problem finding something I want to watch/listen to, even on their CR7!

Thanks for the TR.
Old habits die hard. Apart from Chicken Run on the way out and catching up with a few episodes of 5-0 (and listening to Erasure's "A Little Respect" and "Love to Hate You" on the way back... not directly aimed at anyone of coursse ()), I had some content stacked on the GhettoIFE unit. Besides, Air Canada has a darn good moving map...

Thanks Weean.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 8:07 am

Programs: Miles & Bonus *S
Interesting TR, good to know that the SNCB manages to make a complete mess of things even at dark 'o hundred (then again, it's shouldn't really come as a surprise to me )

Oh, and I could've warned you about the fact that the machines only take Belgian bank cards.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WC_EEND
Interesting TR, good to know that the SNCB manages to make a complete mess of things even at dark 'o hundred (then again, it's shouldn't really come as a surprise to me )
I think SNCB where tying with a few British operators for "who can stuff this up the most" that morning

I'll give them this: even though it was an antiquated 2 car unit, the poor customer service rep did here best going passenger to passenger in 3 or 4 languages explaining what had happened.

Shame the coordination at the other end was useless/non existent...

Oh, and I could've warned you about the fact that the machines only take Belgian bank cards.
I had a vague memory of this. I could had of course skipped the fare, but that would had been wrong of me... and I would had probably been facing a still penalty.

Thanks WC_EEND.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 9:22 am

Programs: Miles & Bonus *S
what makes this quite funny actually is that I was reading the paper today, and there was a fairly big SNCB ad which said (translated from Flemish): "service quality and punctuality, we're working on it, every minute"

That said, compared to British trains (which seem to have wifi and power sockets like airplanes do these days) ours look like relics from the Middle Ages
Old Sep 26, 2011, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

WC_EEND, it's bizarre, but I have to agree with you (I still hold the French TGV network as one of the gold standards). Train companies are learning to adapt here and the longer distance companies appear to be doing a reasonable job dread the thought.

Go on a local train for local people though (or any commuter train), and it's a different kettle of fish completely

Just be thankful they didn't go for strapline of "We're Getting There" for an advert. British Rail tried that... and failed....
Old Sep 26, 2011, 7:17 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
what makes this quite funny actually is that I was reading the paper today, and there was a fairly big SNCB ad which said (translated from Flemish): "service quality and punctuality, we're working on it, every minute"

That said, compared to British trains (which seem to have wifi and power sockets like airplanes do these days) ours look like relics from the Middle Ages
Belgium has two of the greatest train stations in the world from an aesthetic standpoint--the classic old station in Antwerp, and the futuristic station at Liege Guillemins (sp). Plus, they operate the Thalys, which is a pretty darn nice high speed railway.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 10:24 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
I am really looking forward to reading this one Kevincm - you really are taking the your usual style to the limit on this one - a plane or two or more? Great! Plus a boat? That's one thing, but a boat and a bus Hellfire man, get a grip
Old Sep 27, 2011, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoY
I am really looking forward to reading this one Kevincm - you really are taking the your usual style to the limit on this one - a plane or two or more? Great! Plus a boat? That's one thing, but a boat and a bus Hellfire man, get a grip
This was pushing the envelope just a wee bit NoY. Trust me, the next two trips are a doddle in comparison. Heck, I'm even leaving and arriving back in the same country in one of them!

I mean to say, how much can I dress up an LHR-ORD-IAD-LHR run? (the answer will probably not surprise you )

Yes, I may be back on the bus , but it's for the sole purpose of getting to LHR... and back. But that's it. You won't catch me on a bus to Brussels again for a long time...

Thanks NoY.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Excellent trip! The balance of photos and writings are just perfect.

I particularly enjoy your story telling ability!
Old Sep 27, 2011, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Excellent trip! The balance of photos and writings are just perfect.

I particularly enjoy your story telling ability!
+1! Thanks for posting, I'm sure it took a LOT of time and effort to put this together.

Your shots from Niagara were awesome! Brings back great memories of my own visit there. You really brought your trip to life, thanks again! ^
Old Sep 27, 2011, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the report kevin. I have never had any difficulty with Canadian immigrations as a solo traveller (before or after working there).

In fact when I was working there on my second visit after a weekend in the UK (with proper working visa) the agent welcomed me back

I lived in an apartment around the corner from your hotel for 18 months. I really enjoyed living in TO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.