Reload this Page >

7,918 miles in DL F & Y, UA p.s. F, & CO F

Old Aug 28, 2011, 11:32 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K

This trip was a gift to me from my Dad for my birthday. I am a really bad writer so forgive me for this. Also this is only my second TR.

Delta 2240 & 1930 MSP-DTW-PBI F
Hotel Beaux Arts Miami
Beaux Arts Part 2
Delta 1498 FLL-LGA Y
Andaz Wall Street
DBGB
Jean-Georges
Eleven Madison Park
Per Se Part 1
Per Se Part 2
Per Se Pictures #1
Per Se Pictures #2
Per Se Final Thoughts
Yankees v. Oakland
United 253 JFK-SFO F
Continental 1512 & 1599 SJC-IAH-MSP F and Conclusion

Last edited by United747; Nov 24, 2011 at 9:02 pm
Old Aug 28, 2011, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Delta 2240
8-22-11
A320
Gate F5 originally F4

Security at MSP was a breeze for a Monday morning. Sky Priority line took about 10 minutes. Load was typical for a Monday morning hub to hub. There were about 60 people on the upgrade list. Our first plane went mechanical so when they announced that the new gate would be F5, there was just a mass of people running to the next gate. At F5 it felt like everyone on the upgrade list was a gate lice. Boarding started about 10 minutes late with those in first class boarding through the Sky Priority line. The TSA had set up secondary screening at this gate. And of course I was the one person chosen in first class for the secondary. I have to say that the male FA serving first on this flight was the best I have ever experienced. Our plane was just getting catered after we had boarded. And once it was catered, the FA came around with bottled water. I believe the door was already closed at that point also.

All pictures in this TR are taken with my IPhone so sorry for the quality. Also, there are no pictures from any of the flights. Just a few of BP's and UAL flounge and per se.

Ok back to the report. It was a nice flight with several refills of my diet coke and the awesome fa made one round with the snack basket and then came back again to me and said to take as much as I would like since everyone else is sleeping. So more biscoff for me!!!

BP

After a quick flight, we landed at DTW right on time and had a quick taxi to gate A11.

Delta 1930
8-22-11
A320
A9

This flight was just as packed as the last, although there was not 60 people on the upgrade list. This gate was just two down from the gate we landed at so we just waited at the next gate for about 40 minutes to wait for boarding again. No secondary TSA this time!

BP

This flight had the option of a roast beef sandwich or a caesar salad. I had the sandwich which came with chips, fruit, and a brownie. It was pretty good, but it had some weird sauce that I did not like. My dad had the salad and it looked good and he also said that it tasted good. Refills were few and far between. After the meal we had about an hour until landing. Once we landed, on time again, we made it to our car to Miami.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Hotel Beaux Arts Miami Part 1

As you may know the Hotel Beaux Arts is at the top of the new JW Marriott Marquis in Miami. I will tell you right now, I was not impressed with this stay. There were a few redeeming things, but overall it was not up to snuff.

After we booked the room (on points) we received a pre-arrival email from the hotel concierge. This was one of the highlights. They made some restaurant reservations and got us a pretty good deal on a car from PBI to the hotel.

When we arrived at the hotel we mentioned to one of the floaters in the lobby that we were staying at the Beaux Arts and he showed us to the elevator and rode up with us to the check-in, which itself was painless. The lady at the front desk showed us the lounge for Beaux Arts guests only and she asked if we would like any drinks sent to our room. Neither my dad or I drink so we asked for Diet Coke and she summons the lounge worker to grab us drinks. The front desk lady showed us to our room (3819?) which we had been upgraded to.

The room was nicely decorated and pretty large also. The one thing that we did not like was that there was no locking door on the master bathroom which we thought was odd.

Living Room

B&O TV #1

B&O TV #2 Bedroom

King Bed

Master Bath With Mirror TV

Tub

Rain Shower

After we toured the room, the lounge lady brought our drinks, but it was champagne instead of our Diet Coke.

The Beaux Arts Saga Part 2 will continue in a minute.....

Last edited by United747; Oct 29, 2011 at 4:29 pm Reason: typo
Old Oct 5, 2011, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Beaux Arts Part Two "Where Is My Diet Coke!?"

We thought this was kinda odd that they sent us champagne when we asked for Diet Coke, and to be honest I don't look 21. But on our way out to dinner, we stopped in the lounge to grab a real Diet Coke, but they only had regular Coke or the little bottles of Diet Pepsi, which we took. Also, I forgot they did send up a cake for my birthday which was really good.

The second morning we went to the lounge and had a pretty good (and free) breakfast that was set up buffet style. Later in the day we went back to the lounge to grab a soda and we were charged $5 for each of the 10 oz bottles. I was pretty mad because the night before they had given us the pop for free and now they were $5 a pop. IIRC soda in Marriott concierge lounges are free, so why not here? People are paying a premium to stay here, whether it be points or money, so why is the pop $5? On the recreation floor they had a billiards room that we were told was free after 6 p.m. so at around 7 p.m. we went to use it and in the middle of our game, some guy from the hotel came and told us it was $25 per hour and we fought it and he said he would look into it. He told us to come back after we had dinner at DB Bistro (which was amazing btw) but we did not go back. While we were staying here the only time we saw someone else in the whole hotel was at the pool.

Summary: next time in Miami I would stay at the FS or the MO which were both the same cost and you get Virtuoso Benefits.

The next morning we left the hotel for FLL and probably the most kettle filled flight I have ever had! Stay Tuned
Old Oct 7, 2011, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Delta 1498 AKA The Kettle Shuttle

To start off with this segment I will give you a picture of what greeted me once my dad and I got to the gate.

Gate Lice

Almost nobody boarded the flight during zones 1-3 so most of the flight was still left to board. Once zone three was called, an over-sized lady was wheeled to the gate (this is important in a minute). Then zone 4 was called, which I was in, and when I made it to row 10 this over-sized lady is at about row 25 and she realized that she was actually in row 10. I bet most of you know how hard it is to swim upstream, but this brought it to a whole new level.

Right before push back the FAs did their check and noticed that this lady in row 10 had all of her bags in front of her (row 10 is the bulkhead) and she was throwing a fit that she had to put all of her things in the overhead. About halfway through the flight the lady in row 10 starts completely yelling at the people about two rows behind her because they were being to loud (I didn't here a thing from these people). BTW the flight was on schedule.

I am sorry that this is less of a report and more of a rant. But, some people drive me nuts. I wish that we would have paid for first class on this flight. My dad always had plat status with NWA so every time our family would go to florida for spring break, we would always try to get into first class. This is only relevant because this was my first real run-in with kettles.

Next up is my so-so stay at the Andaz

Last edited by United747; Jan 16, 2012 at 7:34 pm
Old Oct 9, 2011, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
I was JUST looking at the JW Beaux Arts yesterday, wondering if I should book it. So glad I was able to read your experience there first. Thanks! ^
Old Oct 9, 2011, 6:34 pm

Programs: Delta Kryptonium-Platinum Medallion, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond
Great start. Can't wait for the review of your stay at the Andaz. Man, I gotta start using those mobile boarding passes!
Old Oct 10, 2011, 8:36 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
I once flew FLL-ATL on DL ... And counted 52 pax "needing" wheelchair assistance on my flight. Needless to say, Zone 1 boarded about 20 minutes after our scheduled departure time for an on time flight.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Andaz Wall Street

I am sorry that this is taking so long. I am driving down to Chicago this weekend so I should have ample time in the car to write the rest (not while driving). Sorry no pics of the Andaz.

We booked a room with two double beds under the Life Time Fitness rate which was about 10% of the BAR. Our flight from FLL landed around 9:30 am. We made it to the Andaz by about 10:30 but our room was not ready for another hour. I thought the rooms were pretty good here, they are to bland for me though. They are all white.

My favorite feature at the Andaz is that all of the non-alcoholic beverages and snacks are free, which we utilized. Unfortunately, the room next to us was very noisy in the morning. But, the staff were very accommodating and came up to our room and gave us the keys to a new room. Like most other people have said, when you take a shower, you flood the bathroom. We were given an accessible room the first night which made it a lot worse. We did not eat any meals at the hotel so I cannot comment on that.

Next is DBGB and eating at the table next to Daniel Boulud
Old Oct 29, 2011, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

DBGB

I have to say that I really liked DBGB. The interior uses mostly dark colors with the walls filled with cooking supplies and ingredients. This was lunch #1 of 2 so we ate pretty light.

I had the "Vermont" which was awesome.
VERMONT 14.
pork & cheddar link, hash browns,
red onion crčme frache
I totally forgot what my dad had, but I am 99.99999% sure that it was just as good as the "Vermont" which I had.
For dessert we split a cherry sundae which seems to have disappeared from the menu. Although, it was also really good.

The portions here were pretty small so I would suggest that you order more than one sausage if that is what you are going to get.

About halfway through our lunch, Daniel Boulud and a group of about ten people came in for lunch. I thought that it was really cool to see him in person, but I was afraid to ask our waitress to ask for an autograph after Bobby Flay blew me off once and was really rude to me. Also, I say this in the nicest possible way, he was a really short man. Sorry about going off like that. Won't happen again (I hope).

Next up is, to this point, the best meal of my life.

Delta747

Last edited by United747; Jan 16, 2012 at 7:36 pm
Old Oct 29, 2011, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by econometrics
I was JUST looking at the JW Beaux Arts yesterday, wondering if I should book it. So glad I was able to read your experience there first. Thanks! ^
I am happy to help! Like I said, I would choose the Four Seasons or the Mandarin Oriental when in Miami.

Delta747

Last edited by United747; Nov 8, 2011 at 4:28 pm
Old Oct 29, 2011, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AirForceFlyer
Great start. Can't wait for the review of your stay at the Andaz. Man, I gotta start using those mobile boarding passes!
The mobile boarding pass worked slick in both MSP and DTW. I hope that they are rolled out system wide. It helps so much when you are out of town the day before, like me, and you don't have access to a printer. I just opened the Delta app and downloaded them both. Painless!

Delta747
Old Nov 4, 2011, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Jean-Georges

This was one of the most amazing meals I have ever had in my life! My dad and I were seated in the middle of the dining room which had only a few tables and a high ceiling. We both got two courses.

I had the sweet pea soup which had croutons and a parmesan foam. I also had the "Parmesan Crusted Confit Leg Of Chicken". The pea soup was the most amazing thing that I have ever eaten. I am not a big soup eater, but this was the best thing I have ever had. The parmesan foam added a distinct flavor to the soup. The chicken was equally as good, very moist.

I believe that my dad had the tuna ribbons and the ravioli. He said that the tuna was just so-so, but the ravioli was another amazing dish. He said that this was his favorite just because of the ravioli.

Also, this is a great deal. ~$32 per person for a two course lunch at a Michelin three star restaurant.

Next is Eleven Madison Park and the fire inspector.

Last edited by United747; Nov 4, 2011 at 7:03 pm Reason: typo
Old Nov 4, 2011, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Something smells fishy

We originally had reservations for Wednesday, August 24th, but about a week before, we got a call saying that they had to close the restaurant on that day because of a fire inspection. They gave us a $100 gift card for the trouble and they had a reservation for the next day. I thought it was great that they gave us the gift card and the new reservation.

But, I think that it is odd that they need to close the whole restaurant for a whole day just for a fire inspection. My dad, who works in the restaurant business, said that the usually do not give advanced notice of inspections and that they just arrive at the restaurant and inspect it. We forgot to go by the restaurant and see what is going on.

On to lunch. This was my least favorite of the restaurants. It was not terrible in any way, and I would go back again. The food just was not my kind of food. The service was astounding just like Jean-Georges and Per Se.

For the three course lunch I had the rabbit, beef, and chocolate. They first brought out some tomato tea and a goat cheese lolly pop. This is what I did not like. Also the second amuse was an egg shell with sturgeon caviar and a sturgeon foam. I love caviar, but this did not taste good. Neither did the tea nor the goat cheese. But, the rabbit, which was served cold, was very good. The beef was also very good. Once again the chocolate dessert was good.

The Menu read:
Couscous
Tuna
Octopus
Rabbit Rillette with cherries, pistachios, and pickled onion

Artichoke
Potato
Loup De Mer
Lobster

Eggplant
Chicken
Pork
Beef roasted with summer beans, savory and violet mustard

Sheep's Milk
Berry
Apricot
Chocolate tart with salted caramel, cocoa nibs, and chocolate sorbet
My dad had the cold tuna appetizer and I forgot what else he got. I cannot find his menu, but once I do, I will post what else he had. He was not a fan of the tuna appetizer.

Overall the food here was pretty good as was the service, but the amuses just were not to my liking.

Next up is the culinary marathon that is Per Se

Last edited by United747; Nov 5, 2011 at 6:39 pm Reason: Added part of the menu
Old Nov 10, 2011, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Per Se Part 1

This was the best meal that I have ever had! To preface this, I made the reservation one month out and I called at exactly 10 or whenever the office opens. I was given two choices for a table for two and I took the 5:30 reservation.

Per Se is located in the Time Warner Center at Columbus Circle in the SW corner of Central Park. Per Se is located on the 4th floor with some pretty stunning views of central park. We arrived at the 58th street entrance and made our way up to Per Se.

We were warmly welcomed and shown to our table which was on the raised area towards the back.

This can give you a pretty good idea where we sat.

We were immediately asked what we would like to drink and we chose the non-alcoholic sparkling cider, Duche de Longueville, which was amazing. It was served in a champagne glass.

Part 2 in just a second.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.