Search

Gold’s Own Country & The Neighbours – a Kingfisher Experience via BLR

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2011, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AI-FR, 9W-JP

I have attempted to write a few TRs in the past but never completed any. Besides this being my first TR, it was also my first trip to Kerala, Karnataka & Andhra.

1. Background

I was to join my family, friends & relatives on a 10-day trip to visit Kannur, Mysore, Tirupati, Bangalore & Calicut. Everyone was to reach CCJ on 06th July early morning, from where the trip would commence onboard ‘an Airbus on Road’. This road trip was planned about 3 months in advance, but I decide to join them at the 11th hour..!

Unlike BOM & DEL, CCJ does not witness around the clock flight movements. My folks were arriving on the first flight of the day- G9 451, from SHJ landing at 03:35. The earliest flight from BOM, S2 423 lands at 13:30 and the last flight from BOM lands at 18:40. And I was in no mood to wait around by arriving early, as the previous week at office was expected to be very hectic. Hence, I decided to join the entourage at MYQ, a day later and return from CCJ after the group departs early morning. Kingfisher is the only airline that serves MYQ and nor was I complaining, as this trip would get me some Tier Points as well.

2. Booking

The KFA website was promoting discounts for ‘Return-Fares’, but since my trip would be ‘Multi-City’ there was no discount for me. Hence, I booked 2 One-way tickets, as the fare rules for Return tickets were more restrictive (also as a provision for a less-expensive date change, if any). I booked myself onto KFA (ICAO code is KFR, but I use KFA, so as not to confuse with KF Red flights), which turned out to be priced the lowest as they were the last tickets on the 7-day APEX fare quote. Also, I was to transit via BLR on both the segments. Each leg would involve a Kingfisher Red & Kingfisher Class segment. This cost me about INR 7700, while I checked that BOM-BLR & return for the same dates, was priced at INR 6300..!

As soon as the transaction was processed on the website, I received the email with my confirmed itinerary. The BlackBerry Travel app automatically picked up the itinerary and then I manually fed it with the info on hotels and the ground transportation.

Outbound: BOM-BLR-MYQ
Inbound: CCJ-BLR- BOM

3. The Trip

a. IT 103: BOM-BLR

IT 103: Mumbai (BOM) to Bengaluru (BLR)
Departure: 11:25 Delayed (Was 09:15)
Terminal: 1A
Gate: A16
Arrival: 12:55 Delayed (Was 10:55)
Aircraft: Airbus A320 (VT-KFG: F 20/Y 114)
Load Factors: F 12/20, Y 114/114

i. Check-In
Since I had ‘car-pooled’ with a colleague who was departing on 9W 301 to DEL, I reached the airport by 07:45, which was early. The fact that made it even more ‘early’ was that KFA had re-scheduled this flight to depart at 10:50. Although I was informed about it 48 hours before flight, I decided to stick to the original plan. Departing late would only have resulted in me being stuck in traffic.

First I dropped my colleague at T 1B and then proceeded to T 1A. I flashed my tickets & ID at the entrance and headed in. T 1A has plenty of check-in counters but, I have never seen all operating at the same time. There were a few lines on the counters to the left and there were a few pax who were attempting to check-in using the ‘Kiosk’ facility.

Since I had a check-in bag, I proceeded to walk the ‘red-carpet’. KFA has priority check-in zones for members of KingClub’s Silver, Gold & Platinum Tier. These counters are alongside the Kingfisher First section and at times are used inter-changeably.

When I proceeded to the ‘red-carpet’, the attendant confirmed my tier and took my bag and led me to a counter. I waited while a person before me finished his procedure. In the mean while, the attendant tagged my bag with ‘Priority’ & ‘Domestic Transfer Tags’. Next, I approached the counter and was greeted with a smile along with apologies for the delayed flight. Although, I frequently travel on ‘multi-stop’ or ‘via’ flights, I was concerned about my connecting flight from BLR-MYQ. The agent assured me that with the ‘Through Check-In’ would ensure that I make it to the connecting flight.

ii. Security & Lounge
After being handed the Lounge Invite & both the boarding passes, I proceeded towards the Security Check. With not much of a queue, I was scanned in stamped in less than 5 minutes. As I collected my belongings from the tray, I noticed an Arab family trying to get directions to gate A5. The CISF lady attempted to explain the directions, but they couldn’t make sense of it.

A couple of minutes of ‘charades’ combined with my tooti-footi Arabic, ended with lots of ‘Shoe-krans’ and the Arab Family rushing to catch the Air India flight, while I prayed for absence of MNS & saffron brigade out here. Not for me, but for the Arab Family, of course..! :wink:

I spent the next couple of hours in the Carnations Longue and clicking a few snaps in the waiting area of the T 1C.

View of the upcoming BOM ATC tower from the Carnation Lounge.

Here's what it’s likely to look like.

and here's an article about it.

On the wall opposite 'The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf', I spotted the Fiat Padmini spare parts being put to 'creative' use..!

At BOM, it's not just the ATC Tower that's awesome, the T 1C is good as well.

iii. Boarding
Finally, it was time to board and I headed towards my boarding gate, A16.

On the way crossed 'Terminal F'

Seating area of 'Terminal F', overlooking the tarmac.

I spotted these AI & IC birds in ramp- action. Looks like this frame compares Apples to Oranges and by merging them, I don't think it tastes good.

This is the Kingfisher bird, that would fly me to its home.

An AI A321 (VT-PPE) arrived just then.

At the boarding gate, my boarding pass was verified & I then boarded the aircraft through the jet-bridge.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 12:39 am
Original Poster

iv. Flight Time
Once onboard, the FA welcomed & greeted with a smile while directing me to the designated seat. I reached my 'extra leg-room' seat, 11 E before the bulkhead.

Next, the FA's distributed the welcome drink, 'LMN', along with headsets & a face wipe. Blankets were given out only upon request.

Soon Capt. Baruah welcomed all on board and also apologised for the delay caused to this flight. He also introduced FO Mohanty & Cabin Incharge Cinderella, to be assisted by Valeena. I am not sure if the FA's use pseudo names in the industry.

This was followed by VJM's welcome video & Yana Gupta's safety video on the IFE screen. The latter one was once in English & again in Hindi.

We pushed back at 11:25, tagging behind a World Airways Cargo MD-11 on to the start up of runway 27/09. On the way there, I spotted AI B747 being scrapped, before finally taking off at 11:35.

I plugged into the Bollywood movie: Houseful and was soon given with the Menu for the meal service. Being a Herbivorous creature, I opted for the Veg. option which was a Paneer Chilla with Aloo Vada & Tomato Chutney. Apologies for not posting the pics of the meal service. It was too tempting & mouth watering for me to fiddle with the cam. :P I skipped the Tea / Coffee round as I have plenty experience of such 'Machine-dispensed' beverages at my office. :roll:

v. Arrival

The trays were cleared swiftly after the Tea / Coffee rounds as the Capt. announced descent into Bengaluru. At 12:55, we made a swift but smooth landing at the BIAL terminal. Capt. thanked the pax for opting to fly KFA & once again apologised for the delayed flight.

This aircraft was allocated a remote stand and thus pax were de-planed with a bus service to the terminal. As soon as the doors were opened, the FA announced the belt #, from which this flight's baggage could be collected. This a unique feature I have not seen on GF, AI, 9W, SG or G8. I am not sure about the others.

On the way to the terminal, I spotted a bird each from 6E & IT making a dash to the gate.

Similarly, I made a dash for the very 1st KFA agent I could spot and showed my boarding pass of the connecting flight to MYQ. She informed me that the flight was delayed and in fact, had just departed MAA sometime back. It was expected to arrive here in the next half an hour.

b. IT 2404: BLR-MYQ

IT 2404: Bengaluru (BLR) to Mysore (MYQ)
Dep: 14:00 Delayed (Was 12:00)
Terminal: 1
Gate: 7
Arrival: 14:55 Delayed (Was 12:45)
Aircraft: ATR 72-500 (VT-KAJ: Y 66)
Load Factors: Y 62/66

ii. Security & Lounge
I then exited the hall and turned right so as to enter the departures section. Once again I flashed my ID & Boarding Pass & dashed to the Security Check on Level 1. On the left side is the queue for the domestic departures. Thankfully the queues were not snarlingly long and I was there at the departures area in 15 minutes from my arrival into BLR. I was not eligible for Lounge Access as this was a Kingfisher Red flight and I am a KC Silver member.

iii. Boarding
Boarding was announced at 13:30 after the aircraft had arrived from MAA. This flight originates from MAA and goes on to MYQ, one-hop via BLR. Also, MYQ is solely served by KFA's single daily flight. The pax were bussed-to the ATR 72 aircraft.

Some Snaps en-route

iv. Flight Time

The pax were boarded from the rear of the aircraft. The FA greeted with a smile and her colleague distributed bottles of water in the mean time.

Capt. Duke introduced himself, FO Prateik and FA's Josey & Aanchal. I was initially allocated seat 03 D but all 4 seats in the 1st row were empty. I enquired with the FA if I could switch to 01 D, a window seat with extra leg-room. She approved and thus I jumped forward.

A 6E A320 next to an IT ATR-72.

The BIAL ATC Tower

The recently launched SQ Cargo B747F flight, rolling down for the return journey to SIN and a Blue Dart B757 in storage.

This flight was carrying 'Dead-Weight' on seat 01 A. 8)

We pushed back at 14:05 and instantly raced down the runway to rotate for the short hop. The FA's came around offering snacks & beverages, which I declined. I browsed through the 'Cine-Blitz' magazine for a few minutes and soon the Capt. announced descent. I peeped out of the window to view the lush green carpets highlighted by the coconut trees.

v. Arrival
We made a very smooth landing at the Mandakalli Airport and I was on the verge of bursting into fits of laughter when the Capt. Duke announced: "Welcome to My-Sore..!" But, thankfully we both went unnoticed. The FA announced that the luggage would be delivered shortly on the belt in the Arrivals hall.

With a short hop on to the tarmac and I notice that the runway is not Tar or Asphalt but Cemented and so is the Tarmac & Apron.

Mate, it’s not a weighing scale..! :roll:

View of terminal from the tarmac.

Eureka, the Priority Tag works...!

Terminal View from the parking lot.

The Mysore airport reminds me of the Udaipur airport, similar building style / colour and the tarmac is cemented at both locations, although Udaipur has a larger asphalt runway.

The airport is located about 10 kms from the city centre, but directly connected to the State Highway. It took me about 20 minutes to reach my hotel.

End of Part 1.

Disclosure: Some of the pictures are sourced from internet, credits to the actual owner. Kindly excuse the picture quality, I have used my Samsung mobile phone. Feedback & Comments are welcome.

Last edited by GuyFromBOM; Aug 14, 2011 at 12:44 am
Old Aug 14, 2011, 7:26 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Nice work!
Old Aug 14, 2011, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lido168
The cell phone pictures are too small
They are thumbnails with links to the hosting site, where you will be able to view the entire pic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.