Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

From New York to London (via New Zealand): AA, QF, CX, BA (F/J)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

From New York to London (via New Zealand): AA, QF, CX, BA (F/J)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2011, 11:19 am

Programs: AA EXP Hyatt Dia SPG Gold Fairmont Plat
Nice trip report. Hope to meet you in January (you are 2 seats away from me).
Old Nov 2, 2011, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Top of climb
CX251 (and the return, CX250) is unique in the Cathay Pacific network in that it is cabined entirely by London based crew. CX255 is mixed crew, but CX251 is all London based. There are dark tales here on FT, and elsewhere, that I could expect service standards to be lower than on mainline flights. My Osaka crew hadn’t exactly knocked that one out of the ballpark by telling me "oh, they’re fine, just a bit more Western... which is ok if you don’t mind Western standards". It was time to put them to the test.
So you specifically chose that flight so you can test that base?
Old Nov 3, 2011, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dbuster44
So you specifically chose that flight so you can test that base?
No, even I'm not that crazy Just happened that I like the timing of 251, with a late evening departure out of HKG and a early morning arrival into LHR T3 which beats all the other early morning arrivals in from Asia.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by qbrain
Nice trip report. Hope to meet you in January (you are 2 seats away from me).
No chucking tomatoes (rotten or otherwise) at me, please
Old Nov 3, 2011, 6:18 am

The best The best The best.

Made me laugh so many times. I just LOVED this whole TR.

"Like, why is the soup stock in the gravy aisle? Which is not next to the soups? Any enlightenment on these points by UK-based readers would be most welcome"

Well, from someone in Manchester, I can tell you that the stock maybe used to make a gravy or a reduction so it makes sense to stack it in the gravy aisle.

If u ever make it "up north" I have your mozzarella and tomato salad waiting...minus the mozzarella
Old Nov 5, 2011, 6:03 am

What a great trip report.. started it and couldn't stop ! Quite a few lol's along the way. Your a great writer lol. And like the CX staff I kinda think your a bit mad to
Old Nov 6, 2011, 2:01 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Top of climb
"Needs ditty!"

This is where sites like FT are worth their number of bytes in gold. After a moment of serious confusion the light went on in my slightly tired brain. I remembered the thread where someone had been trying to transit from JAL to CX, and they were sent back because the boarding pass hadn’t been stamped Direct Transit. Or, in other words, D/T. Of course, you may be wondering why the boarding pass, issued fresh off the press in Delhi only moments ago, even needed this notation, but mine was not to reason why, but simply comply with every instruction by Indian security so I could get back to Hong Kong.

Cue trek back to transit desk, where the agent was like, you again? I told her that security wanted D/T on the boarding pass. She gave me a look that managed to convey confusion, pity and disbelief all at the same time – "they sent you back for this?" – scribbled D/T with a ballpoint pen on both parts of the boarding pass and apologised for the idiocy of Indian bureaucracy.
That's my motherland!

Great TR! One of the best I've read!

Last edited by amolkold; Nov 6, 2011 at 2:13 am
Old Nov 6, 2011, 3:04 am

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
Just reminded of my most insane MR almost 10 yrs ago when AONE's just launched in India...

Get a hold of this...

MAA-BOM (side domestic)

BOM-HKG-CMB-HKG-LHR-BAH-LHR-LCA-LHR-SFO-DFW-EWR - all in continuous connection with lugggage (use Left luggage at CMB, LHR etc)...

Those were the good old days - student living and flying across the world...
Old Nov 6, 2011, 9:45 am

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
Wow, you finally made it. Nice stuff.

My big question about the shelves stockers at Sainsburys (at least at the fairly ghetto one I used to live nearby in South London) was what the hell they did all day. It seemed to me that they stocked the shelves once, first thing in the morning, and then took the rest of the day off. Drove me mad...
Old Nov 12, 2011, 7:46 pm

Location: New York, NY, AA 4MM PLT, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, CC Gold
Thanks for the very entertaining and interesting read!
Old Nov 15, 2011, 3:15 am

Programs: QFF Plat, OZ*G, HH Gold
Definitely the best trip report i have ever read, i was completed addicted to your reports.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 5:00 am

Well written, keep it up!!
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
The Trip Reports forum has found a new star!

It's -24°F here in the Alaska's Interior, absolutely perfect conditions to sit inside with a steaming cup of good Sumatran coffee and catch up on all these reports that have been published since I last frequented the Trips Report forum five months ago.

Right from the get-go, this has been my kind of trip report, both in reporting style and photography. I've thoroughly enjoyed the observations and insights that can only come from a well experienced traveller. Throw in a good bit of humor along with fine photography and you've presented us with a real gem of a report.

Thank You!
Old Nov 15, 2011, 1:35 pm

nice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.