Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

From New York to London (via New Zealand): AA, QF, CX, BA (F/J)

From New York to London (via New Zealand): AA, QF, CX, BA (F/J)

Old Sep 19, 2011, 5:51 pm

Programs: QF P1 (OWE) LTG (OWS)
Nice one.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

6/16: Cx f (1)

CX506 HKG-KIX B744 (74A) B-HUG

Everyone has a passion. It might be a sport. Football. It could be something cultural. Classical music. It could be something interminably boring to the rest of the worlds population. Collecting and alphabetising matchboxes. For example. Then again, if there were no obscure passions in this world, it would be pretty hard to cobble together a game of Mastermind.

My passion? Planes. The smell of Jet-A in the morning. Even on the most mundane journey, I still get a thrill out of being at an airport. And Im still in awe that what is essentially metal held together by bolts is able to break the bonds of gravity.

So it really wasnt a very hard decision to use four Asia sectors in a weekend. In Cathay Pacific First Class. I was hoping at the same time to cross off a few new registrations. CX has signalled its intention to drop the 744 over the next few years in favour of the 77W. I wanted to enjoy the nose while I still could.

The next problem was to figure out which flights to take. Cathay only offers First on some of its regional routes. Unfortunately, you need to be some sort of fortune teller to figure out with any precision which regional routes will sell F on any given day. Pitfalls to watch out for: some flights operate with a three-class aircraft but sell two-class. Other flights change equipment faster than Sydney Airport puts up its parking fees. The whole short haul operations department at CX seems to be run by some sort of power-hungry gnome who on a whim of fancy will chuck out a three-class 74A on a Singapore route and replace it with the rattiest 777.

At the time I booked, one flight was easy. The same day Haneda turnaround was sticky 74A every day. Out at 8.30, back by 8 pm. The second flight was harder. I found a 74A Incheon flight. I asked the guy at CX to hold it. He sent me the itinerary. Two class 330. I swapped it for Singapore. Got an email three days later saying that had changed to a 773. He suggested we just hold the SIN flight until ticketing, when departure would be closer and equipment less susceptible to change. I think he was just sick of changing my itinerary every five minutes. Not that I blame him. I was sick of trying to find one simple turnaround flight.

About three weeks before journey, I saw that the first of my turns, to HND, had switched to a 77A. Still three class, but a 777-300ER instead of a 747-400. I was not happy. HND had been a perfect choice. A new airport, a quick turn and a 747. Im not a fan of the 77W. Even though the seat product is the same, the feel is different. The nose of the 747 just cant be beat. I started casting around for an alternative. There was one option that wasnt Manila or Taipei (rejected for shortness). Kansai.

Ive been to Osaka. Nice city. Nice airport too. The lounges arent great. In fact CXs KIX lounge is crap. Its about twice the size of Harry Potters cupboard under the stairs. It has the same view. About the only thing it doesnt have is the spiders.

Of course, flying out of HKG means you start your trip with some pretty good lounges. Supposedly. Like The Wing. For a very long time it set the benchmark in lounges. Then we got the likes of Lufthansa First Class terminal. The Qantas lounges at Sydney and Melbourne. The Wing started to fall behind. On the morning I was there? Overcrowded. Dated decor. And internet speed that would have been overtaken by a sloth on crutches.

I nibbled on some breakfast in the restaurant. The offerings were a bit pathetic. And The Peninsula, which provides the waitstaff in the lounge, seems to have slipped in their service standards. They all looked miserable. The lady who was in charge of keeping the showers clean seemed to like her job better.

I was asked to do a survey on board the flight to Osaka. You know the type. Where you tick boxes on a scale of 1 to 5. One of the sections asked about lounge facilities before your flight. I have never done this before on a survey. But The Wing got bottom box ticks from me on pretty much everything. If you are travelling in First, and are thinking about going to The Wing, my advice is: dont. Go to The Cabin. Its a one-class lounge. But its brand new. Its got great views. The internet actually works. The next day I didnt even bother with The Wing First. I hung out in The Cabin. Youll have to wait until that instalment for the review.

Before the flight I was religiously monitoring the loads. If it had been a girl instead of a plane it probably would have been fair to label me a stalker. When I switched out of HND, both KIX flights were dead empty up front. About two days after I switched F zeroed out on the outbound. It came back with capacity a couple of days later. But my dream of a solitary F cabin looked like it was going to be unrealised.

We went out 4/9 in F. The other three were travelling together. They knew people travelling down the back, who popped into the cabin briefly during boarding to exchange hugs and hellos. I just hunkered down in 1A and took photos of the mood lighting. I felt like Id gatecrashed a reunion.

After takeoff, and the check captain pointing out Mickey Mouse land for those seated on the right hand side of the plane, the senior purser came round to hand out the menus. I was toying with trying the Japanese Kaiseki meal on one of the sectors, but thought it might be better on the return flight if the food was catered ex-Japan. Since I wasnt sure whether they did in fact re-cater or doubled up out of Hong Kong, I took the opportunity to ask her whether they re-catered in Osaka.

Well, she asked whether I had any questions.

She gave me a strange look. But she answered my question. And she said if I had any other questions to feel free to ask them. She said she could ask the cockpit if necessary.

That might have been the point at which the crew decided I was mad.

The ISM came round to hand out landing forms. I told her I was in international transit. I think I surprised her. Im guessing not very many people international transit through Osaka.

This might have been the point at which the crew decided I was mad.

The purser came up to take my lunch order. She hesitated slightly afterwards and asked whether I was flying straight back with them. I admitted it. She looked shocked for the briefest of seconds and then burst out laughing. She enquired as to why. I explained about the RTW ticket. She explained that my connections showed up on their manifest. So next to my name was CX507 (the return flight) followed by my two flights tomorrow.

Im pretty certain this was when the crew decided I was mad.

Shortly after the purser went back to the galley the senior purser came back up to me with the manifest in her hand. I dont think she believed her colleague. She asked whether I was really doing the same sectors as them. I explained why I was doing it again. I have to say, it certainly broke down the barriers like nothing else did. For the rest of the flight I got more inside goss about CX than anything. Much better inflight entertainment than watching Drew Barrymore and Justin Long try to go the distance.

The first sector of the mileage run was celebrated with a glass of Deutz and nibbles. The purser, having decided I was a great amusement, gave me both the nuts and the Japanese snack mix.

The table was then set for lunch.

Lunch

Starters
Prosciutto with baked vegetable flan and artichoke

Roasted red pepper soup

Main Courses
Pan-roasted Australian lamb chops with thyme rosemary sauce, potato gratin, green beans and capsicums

Pan-fried prawn with rice wine lees, egg fried rice, braised white turnip with mushrooms, Chinese celery, dried shrimp and carrot

Eggplant and garlic agnolotti with sun-dried tomato pesto

Cheese and Dessert
Cambozola, Comte, Double Gloucester, Chaumes

Fresh seasonal fruit

Apple pie with streusel and clotted cream

Tea and Coffee

Pralines

Japanese Meal

Cathay Pacific is pleased to offer a seasonal Japanese meal,
in traditional Kaiseki style, as an alternative choice.

Canapes
Shrimp, pork with cheese, chestnut, baby abalone and Japanese taro

Appetizer
Pickled pike mackerel and salmon sahimi bonito with salmon roe, tuna meat with fish roe
served with Choya Plum Liqueur

Braised Dish with Clear Soup
Braised duck breast Japanese style, bean curd skin, baby eggplant and braised pumpkin

Main Course
Side Dish
Boiled cuttle fish slice with shrimp and mixed seaweed

Noodle
Maten tea and plum noodles with shimeji mushroom

Hot Dish
Broiled sea bass with miso sauce, boiled spinach, chestnut and ginkgo nuts

Rice served with assorted pickles and miso soup

To compliment [sic] your Japanese meal experience, Ginjyo-sake is available.

I was asked whether I wanted the bread, since I was having the Japanese meal. I asked which ones were loaded, thus cementing my reputation with this crew as a complete nutter. You get a mini bread basket on CX with about four pieces of bread. Its a lot. I didnt want them to go to the trouble of heating and serving only for me only to leave two pieces behind, but the purser pointed out that they would have to incinerate it anyway so they might as well bring it all.

The next few pics Ill let speak for themselves. The food was exquisitely presented, and very nice, but some of the items I fear ran a little counter to my somewhat Westernised tastebuds. But overall Im glad I tried it.

The canaps:

The appetizer:

The braised dish and clear soup:

The main course:

I was sucked in by the Western dessert option of the apple pie rather than the fruit option on the Japanese menu. CX has really picked up its game with the dessert in recent years for a long time it would have been boring old ice cream although ironically this dessert would have benefited from a side of ice cream rather than clotted cream.

The crew were very good at keeping pace with me and bringing the next course after Id finished, but with so many courses and my leisurely pace of eating, we were just coming up to the one hour mark when dessert was whisked away and a little ramekin of pralines put on my side table. There are certainly worse places to be than flying through clear blue sky nibbling on chocolates while the islands of Japan cruise by 36,000 feet below.

Our chatty check captain came on with 30 minutes to go: unless our navigation has led us extremely astray that should be Japan you see outside your windows! and a few turns later we were bumping down in Kansai.

The ISM did her usual post-landing announcement (... thank you for flying Cathay Pacific and we hope to see you again soon...) which elicited a juvenile smirk from me since for once, their manual-directed probably-not-very-sincere hope would be realised.

Next: how to spend a four hour transit in KIX.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Exec Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Ritz Rewards
So far ... One of the best trip reports I've ever read!

Well done.^
Old Sep 25, 2011, 10:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Haha, your last installment reminds me of my EK F mileage run to MLE. Probably even fewer people in international transit than in KIX. The check in staff had a fit when I told them I'd got off the flight from Dubai and wanted to head straight back, and the crew were contemplating getting in touch with a mental facility on landing!
Old Sep 26, 2011, 1:13 am

The crew are correct. You are mad...
Old Sep 26, 2011, 2:20 am

Programs: Chevalier de la Gallentrie - Knight of the Platinum Hair Brush, BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Absolutely love the TR so far ^ - looking forward to the next installment

Efin
Old Sep 26, 2011, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the comments everyone! You are lucky people - two instalments in two days. Just don't expect this to become a precedent.

Originally Posted by ung1
The check in staff had a fit when I told them I'd got off the flight from Dubai and wanted to head straight back, and the crew were contemplating getting in touch with a mental facility on landing!
Hah I understand that I very quickly became known to the entire crew as the curiosity on board B-HUG (at least after they got over their fears that I was management in disguise...)
Old Sep 26, 2011, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Transit in KIX

I was first off the plane. Quite why I needed to be, I don’t know. I wasn’t expecting a queue at transit. In fact I was wondering whether the transit point would be staffed at all. But I do love being the first to get on or get off the plane. No one in front of you blocking your way for a start. There’s something emotionally satisfying about storming your way down an empty corridor trying to put as much distance as possible between you and the people behind you.

Kansai requires you to take a stupid little shuttle train to passport control, even though you could probably walk it just as fast if you factor in the time spent waiting for the train to arrive and then holding at the station. On the upside, it’s fun to watch the doors thud close on passengers who don’t move quickly enough.

Transit security wanted to see a boarding pass.

Security officer: “You are going to Hong Kong?”
Me: “Yes.”
Officer: “Where did you come from?”
Me: “Er... Hong Kong.”

I thought this could mean some difficult questions but all this response elicited was a stream of Japanese at the officer manning the x-ray. I assumed it was dialogue indicating to the officer that I was safe to be let through. Of course it could just as well have been dialogue telling him to make sure to pay particular attention to the x-ray monitor because I wasn’t exhibiting normal behaviour.

Nothing in my backpack seemed to raise any alarms and I was soon up on the departures level, where there was a shining example of how the Japanese tell it like it is.

There are two wings at KIX International. CX operate out of the North Wing. JAL operate out of the South Wing. Logically, therefore, CX’s contract lounge is in the North Wing and JAL’s Sakura Lounge is in the South Wing.

Seeing as I had four hours, and about as much fondness for the CX contract lounge as a rat for an environmental health inspector, I decided to visit the JAL lounge. I asked the girl at the information desk whether it was possible to walk from one end of the airport to the other. She gave me the same look as the ones I had been getting all day from Cathay crew.

“Well yes sir, but it really is better to take the train.”

I decided to leave the end-to-end terminal walk for later and hopped the South Wing train. I was warned on FT that the JAL lounge wasn’t much. But it couldn’t be worse than the small cramped room that was the CX lounge. It so traumatised me the first two times round that I didn’t even manage to poke my head in to take a photo for the report.

I was a bit worried that I might have to argue my way in as I expected it unlikely that any CX passenger would ever have been insane enough to go 15 minutes out of their way just to visit a slightly better lounge but there was only a brief hiccup when the agent asked to see my oneworld card, quickly solved when I pointed out I was holding a First boarding pass. She did however warn me to leave plenty of time to get to the gate. Apparently it was quite far away.

FT was right. The JAL lounge wasn’t much. But it had windows. Its own bathrooms. And two massage chairs. This was the instruction card.

I couldn’t really understand it. So I fell back on the old standby whenever I don’t understand technology. Push random buttons and wait for something to happen.

I’m not sure I got so much as a massage than an attempt by the chair to crack my spine, so I very quickly decamped to the safer confines of a windowside armchair.

As is usual with Japanese lounges, there wasn’t a lot of food but they made up for it by lots of drinks and some very amusing illustrations.

Those plums look scared.

I whiled away a couple of hours using the wireless and watching a China Southern 737 pull in and out of the gate right in front of the lounge, and then decided to leave to embark on my mission of walking the terminal end-to-end. It took about 40 minutes, though one could probably make it in 30 if you knew where you were going. The signs, as expected, pointed you back to take the train so it took some intuiting and educated guesses to make sure I wound up in the right place. Note that here “intuiting and educated guesses” meant to keep walking in a forward direction and making sure that the airport terminal windows stayed on your right.

I got to the gate lounge a little early so snapped some photos. Pity about the lamppost.

A call was made for First and Business Class passengers. The agent in the black uniform held up her two signs pointing F and J pax to the left hand channels (they couldn’t just clip it on top of a tensa barrier?) and soon I was walking back down the same airbridge I had traversed a few hours before, on to the same plane I had just left a few hours before. Time for sector 7.

Old Sep 26, 2011, 5:12 pm

Programs: QF P1 (OWE) LTG (OWS)
The drip feed instalments are killing me
Old Sep 27, 2011, 11:39 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Your reports always have the greatest terms I never hear elsewhere..."Tensa Barrier" indeed!
Old Sep 29, 2011, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, *Gold, HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, IC Plat Ambassador, Delta Skymiles
This trip report is brilliant. The way you described the 4 small rolls on the tray... I laughed out loud. Can't wait to read the next installment!! ^
Old Oct 2, 2011, 5:28 am
Original Poster

7/16: Cx f (2)

CX507 KIX-HKG B744 (74A) B-HUG

On my way up from Hong Kong the purser had mentioned that they were only catered for one of everything out of Kansai, and in the process raised my hopes that I might score that elusive empty cabin. I was greeted at the door with laughs and the magic phrase which one can only ever hope to hear... “take any seat you want”. I was blocked back into 2A but ended up choosing 1A again, if only because it was the same crew and same plane again.

I commiserated my return to Hong Kong with a pre takeoff glass of champagne.

The safety video played, and I amused myself by trying to see how well I could recite word-for-word the narrative (well, the crew had already decided I was committable, so it probably made no difference by this point). I was a bit off – need improvement. Or I need a life. Take your pick. As the only passenger, I got a personal “this is where your nearest exit is” from the crew, though the purser dryly pointed out that I probably knew better than they did where the doors were.

After takeoff along came my requested Oriental Breeze and more nuts/Japanese snack mix. Only difference this time round was that there were only almonds and macadamias in my nut dish, because the senior purser had noticed that I had left the walnuts on the way up and so went through and picked out all the walnuts before bringing the ramekin out.

This is why I love this airline.

I’d elected to eat closer to landing rather than takeoff, and there weren’t any other pressing service needs in the cabin, so the two pursers serving up front were happy to linger and chat for a bit, covering topics as esoteric as: Apple Daily (Chinese language tabloid), inflight sex scandals (recently splashed across front page of said Chinese language tabloid), movies in which actresses need not show their face (purser’s suggestion of alternative career option for flight attendant whose photo was splashed across said front page of Chinese language tabloid) and unruly passengers (four cowering petite female flight attendants once handcuffing a drunk midget Frenchman: “are the handcuffs too tight? Do we need to loosen?”). Just to name a few. I was also highly amused to be told that the rest of the crew thought I was a management spy. I’m not sure I quelled their fears given that if I ever went on Mastermind Cathay Pacific would be in the running for, if not, my specialist subject.

I moved to 4K for the meal service. A) Because I wanted to try out a seat which I would never choose under normal circumstances. And B) I felt slightly guilty at making the crew walk all the way up to 1A from the galley. Of course by the logic of reason A I should have chosen 4D, which is arguably the worst seat in the whole cabin, but I couldn’t quite bring myself to go quite that far.

Dinner

Starters

Smoked duck breast with asparagus and fennel salad
Tomato, orange and basil soup

Main Courses
Pan-fried sea bass with green pea, mashed potato, white cream chive sauce and mixed vegetables
Deep-fried lamb chop with garlic and spicy salt, egg fried rice and stir-fried broccoli
Saffron fettucine with artichoke and button mushrooms

Cheese and Dessert
Fourme d’Ambert, Manchego, Arenberger, French Brie
Fresh seasonal fruit
Chocolate charlotte with raspberry coulis

Tea and Coffee

Pralines

Japanese Meal

Cathay Pacific is pleased to offer a seasonal Japanese meal,
in traditional Kaiseki style, as an alternative choice.

Canapes
Boiled scallop with seasoned salmon roe, braised mushroom with sesame paste, grilled shellfish skewer, cheese cake with fish egg sheet and chestnut

Appetizer
Tuna tataki style, Japanese yam, pickled cod roe with chilli,
shrimps and sweet potato
served with Chinese quince wine with soda

Braised Dish with Clear Soup
Pumpkin ball with chicken meat, braised matsutake mushroom
Clear soup with white sea tangle roll and bean curd with mushroom

Main Course
Side Dish
Smoked salmon belly with seasoned salmon roe, seaweed and boiled octopus roe

Noodle
Yuzu soba and green tea noodles with egg julienne and nameko mushrooms

Hot Dish
Sea bass uni motoyaki with abalone

Rice served with assorted pickles and miso soup

Fruit
Fresh seasonal fruit

To compliment [sic] your Japanese meal experience, Ginjyo-sake is available.

The duck was nice, but I always thought fennel was a weed.

The crew served me both starters, not knowing of my declaration of war against the tomato. I pretended I was just drinking carrot soup with tomato flavouring. This delusion helped me keep it down. Dare I say, it was actually all right. Might I be losing my hatred for the tomato after all?

Hot crusty bread. Yumness.

I switched back to the Western main course, which was prefaced with an “I thought there would be three lamb chops” comment from the crew when it was brought out. Another chop would have been nice to balance out the generous serving of rice, but given I had been stuffing my face full of food all day it was probably a good thing there was only two.

Not that stuffing my face full of food all day stopped me from going for dessert, which I agreed with the purser after eating it was a better option than the apple pie served on the outbound.

As with lunch, and as promised by the menu, the meal was rounded off with pralines. Seeing as I’d eaten all of them on the way up, I decided discretion was the better part of valour (if discretion is indeed a subset of valour, which I’d be interested to see expressed as a Venn diagram) and only nibbled at one or two before taking the ramekin back to the galley to avoid any further temptation. Really nice pralines though. But very addictive.

Having an empty cabin meant plenty of opportunities to take happy snaps without feeling self conscious. Including some snaps from angles which might be hard to explain with other people in the cabin. Like this one, taken by standing on top of 4D.

I do like taking photos in which the tops of people’s heads are not to be seen.

The captain came on to give us what he told us was good news – an early arrival and a close parking bay. Personally I didn’t consider what he told us good news. In fact I was kind of disappointed.

Do you really want to know why? You probably don’t. But I have control of the keyboard. I’ll tell you anyway.

Most of you fly for business. You don’t care what plane you get. Beyond the basic 747, A330, MD negative 18 (or whatever 50-year old equipment DL is flying these days). Some of you don’t even care about that. Those of you who fly a lot on airlines with a lot of subfleets probably invest some time into making sure you book on a flight that has the newest or nicest product. But beyond that you wouldn’t care less if you’d been on this particular plane five times before, ten times before, twenty times before. As long as it has the correct number of engines dangling off the wing and doesn’t look like it’s been flown through a hailstorm backwards, you’re happy.

And even if you do still idly glance out the window now and then to check out the registration, I bet none of you care what gate you get. Beyond working out how far it is to passport control so you can race the queues. Or the distance from lounge to gate, so you can calculate the optimal time to stop drinking and still make your flight.

I have a very strange obsession. (Well, clearly. I just flew to Osaka and back without leaving the airport. For fun.) But as part of this fascination with airplanes and other things civil aviation related, which I like to think stems from a misspent childhood rather than any fatal quirk of character, I log every flight that I take. You know the type of thing. Flight number. Plane type. Aircraft registration. Even gate numbers.

I’m sure my parents indulged me when I was younger, thinking that I’d grow out of it. I may yet. But until then, I will continue to collate my data. Sometimes I even run statistical analyses on it. The Cathay 747 I’ve been on the longest counting frequency of trips and flight hours. Which gate at a particular airport I’ve parked at the most. Etc.

Yes, I know I really do need a life.

Anyway, I’ve flown in and out of HKG enough times that the airport isn’t new or exciting anymore. But I’ve not flown in and out enough times that I’ve hit all or even most of the gates. I’ve still quite a few to check off. And like the registrations, I thought this weekend of running would be an excellent opportunity to cross off a few. Even factoring in the probability of some repeats I thought I’d still be able to manage a couple of new planes and a couple of new gates.

I’m pretty certain I was the only passenger on board that plane who was hoping for some gate in the high even sixties. Instead, we got gate freaking 4. The only happy news was that it was indeed close to passport control. And it wasn’t the same gate we’d left from that morning. But that arrival gate, coupled with the fact that HUG was an aircraft on my registration spit list rather than my hit list, did mean that it wasn’t a very good day for my logs.

Still, as they say in that musical on Broadway, tomorrow is a latter day. Another 74A, another gate and another mileage run. I was looking forward to this one too, since it would be taking me to a couple of new airports and also over some geography I’d not flown over before. And not that I knew it then, but a chance meeting with a FlyerTalker.

Until next time, then.

(Ed. note: there is a letter 'p' in that second-to-last paragraph which can be substituted for a 'h'. Read it as you wish.)
Old Oct 2, 2011, 3:19 pm
`X'

Programs: QFF NB, DJ Gold, A3 Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver, Carlson Silver, A|Club Gold
Fantastic report so far!

And dont worry your not the only one to log data. For a while i just scribbled it all on the back of my boarding passes (sacrilige i know) but now I have my little black note book just for this purpose.

Keeping a track of my flights/aircraft gets a few wierd looks but to be honest, i dont care!
Old Oct 3, 2011, 8:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Top of climb
I can make a paper cut sound like a lost limb.
Given your writing style, I bet you could ^

Eagerly awaiting the rest ....
Old Oct 5, 2011, 6:11 am

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
great work

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.