Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

EK / CX / AA F and Regional J (lots of pictures)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2011, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGLfL, ex-EK IO, IC Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador, Amex Centurion

Introduction

I needed to take a trip to both Asia and North America and I also needed a few more tier points to ensure that my wife retained her complimentary Gold Card via my Gold Guest List status with BA. Since moving to the Middle East, I have found it increasingly difficult to get over 5,000 tier points with BA on an annual basis but am managing 250,000 miles with EK quite easily. So I needed a OneWorld trip that would give me the requisite number of tier points and ensure that I could travel comfortably between the Middle East, Asia and North America.

Enter the ex-CMB fare from AA. Almost 1,500 tier points for USD 5,000, (thanks to Omar at Flight Spin for helping with this booking!) in F on the majority of sectors.

Flight #1

Routing: DXB-MLE-CMB
Flight Number: EK652
Aircraft: A330-300
Departure: 09:45
Arrival: 18:30
Cabin: First
Load: 100%
BA Tier Points: Not Applicable

I arrived at DXB around 08:00 to ensure I had time to have a decent breakfast before boarding my flight to Colombo via Male. The upgraded EK First lounge at DXB is excellent. Great food, amenities and service.

It was a short walk to the gate from the F lounge.

Upon boarding, the crew politely asked me if I would mind swapping my window seat for a middle seat so that a couple could sit together. I politely declined given that I wanted to see the Maldives from the air.

On board was EK's oldest F seating. It is still pretty comfortable and I am very impressed at how clean and in good condition such an old aircraft is. It amazes we why BA can't keep to similar standards.

As one would expect, DXB is dominated by EK tails.

Is it just me or does a 747 just not suit EK colours?

The flight out was pretty uneventful and we passed over lots of desert, the Margham gas fields and of course very pretty isalnds on approach to MLE.

Once we had landed, all passenegrs for Male left the plane and I was the only remaining passenger in F. We stopped on the ground for roughly one hour as the aircraft was cleaned and prepared. It was pretty uncomfortable as the APU had failed......

The cabin soon filled up and once again we had a full load in F for our short hop to CMB. The food wasn't great on board this flight; certainly not up to the usual high standards afforded by EK.

We arrived into CMB on time.

I then left the airport for my dinner engagement. six hours later I would be en route to HKG.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGLfL, ex-EK IO, IC Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador, Amex Centurion
Flight #2

Flight #2
Routing: CMB-BKK-HKG
Flight Number: CX700
Aircraft: B777-300
Departure: 02:10
Arrival: 12:00
Cabin: Business
Load: 20%
BA Tier Points: 120

I had very low expectations for CMB airport, but was pleasantly surprised. There was no queue at check-in, they gladly blocked the seat next to me and checked me all the way through to London.

Security was empty and very easy to pass through and I was quickly inside the Lotus lounge. It was very clean and tidy but really had very limited food.

My ride to BKK and then onto HKG was an old B777-300.

We boarded on-time and actually departed around 10 minutes ahead of schedule. It was a pretty bumpy flight to BKK.

The cabin is the very old CX Regional Business Class. Miles better than BA's Club Europe but way behind what EK offers. I understand that CX also use this on what other airlines would consider long haul!

The seat is actually a lot more comfortable than it looks and I managed to get a few hours sleep (hence no pictures of the meal services on this flight).

Upon approach to BKK we flew over the old airport with the golf course in the middle of the two runways!

The turnaround at BKK was very quick and once again I was impressed at how clean the CX aircraft were. Again, I fell asleep between BKK and HKG.

I then headed off into the city for my afternoon meetings.

Last edited by GGL Flyer; Jul 23, 2011 at 9:25 am Reason: Look and feel
Old Jul 23, 2011, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Flight #3

Flight #3
Routing: HKG-LHR
Flight Number: CX255
Aircraft: B747-400
Departure: 00:35
Arrival: 06:20
BA Tier Points: 180

Following on from a series of meetings in the city, it was then back to HKG to sample the lounges and freshen up ahead of my evening flight to LHR. I headed to The Wing and took a day room for a little privacy.

With 40 minutes before departure, I headed off to gate 9 to board. As I arrived, the gate had changed to 48....the complete opposite end of the terminal. You could not get further away! Why do CX have so many last minutes gate changes?

The weather at HKG was awful.. Heavy rain and storms so we had a 90 minute delay. That said, we arrived into LHR only 45 minutes late.

Once on board I was in heaven - CX truly do have the best F seat!

The meal service started quickly after take-off.

Oops....I forgot to take the before picture. I had the beef which was very good indeed!

Then it was time for some sleep.

With the excpetion of the bathroom in F on the A380, the CX First bathrooms are the best in the sky IMHO.

Breakfast is always a great affair on CX!

The Zegna amenity kit and pyjamas.

We then arrived into LHR Terminal 3......this place sucks!
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Flight #4

Flight #4
Routing: LHR-JFK
Flight Number: AA101
Aircraft: B777-200
Departure: 10:55
Arrival: 13:40

After a prolonged queue to collect my AA boarding pass and extra security checks I was through into the hell of LHR's T3. I bolted straight to the AA lounge. It was very poor and crowded, although the showers are much better than the BA plastic cabins at T5.

After my shower at AA I headed to the BA First lounge next door for some breakfast. The BA has so much more class and ambience.

My flight to JFK was finally called and I took the long walk to the AA Zoo that is gate 32 for further security checks and herding.

We boarded late. The crew hardly make you feel special.....they literally just point the way to the seat. Very different to BA and CX.

The cabin was very shabby and dirty. The crew were less than interested and the welcome drink was served in a plastic glass...not an F service IMHO. I really wonder why people bother to fly AA now when they can utilise BA on trans-Atlantic flights. I genuinely believe the service and the seat are better in Club World than AA Flagship......

To be fair, the seat was actually quite comfortable but the service was shocking. The crew were nowhere to be seen during the flight. When I hunted them down in the galley, there was a single crew member sat on a jump seat listening to his iPod with Bose noise cancelling head phones on.....what happens if he needs to hear a call bell or worse still an emergency from the flight deck???

Food was rubbish.......

The amenity was very basic.

Landing into JFK was excellent. I was the first non-US passport holder at immigration so was from aircraft to taxi in 10 minutes! I then headed for Manhattan for my afternoon meetings.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Flight #5

Flight #5
Routing: JFK-SFO
Flight Number: AA177
Aircraft: B767-200
Departure: 18:00
Arrival: 21:30
Load: 60%

After my meetings at the Harvard Club in NYC it was back to JFK for my next flight to SFO. Check-in and security was a breeze and I was soon in the Flagship Lounge which has great views on a clear day og Manhattan.

My ride to SFO.

The cabin was relatively empty and for this flight I had opted for 2D, aka The Captain Kirk Chair.

Excellent crew, rubbish food (again) and a very uneventful flight.

Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Flight #6

Flight #6
Routing: SFO-LAX
Flight Number: AA1586
Aircraft: B737-800
Departure: 07:30
Arrival: 08:40
BA Tier Points: 60

The following morning I did a quick tier point run down to LAX and back. I headed off to the new Admirals Club at SFO. The staff here are excellent and the lounge is a huge improvement on what existed here 6 months ago.

The aircraft was relatively new and was the first that I had seen with airbags in the seat belts!

The flight down was on-time and very uneventful.

The 405 had been closed in a certain section and as you can see from the photo was very quiet indeed!

Once again, the crew on this flight had been excellent. They acknowledged my FF status and even thanked me for helping to ay their mortgage!
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Flight #7

Flight #7
Routing: LAX-SFO
Flight Number: AA2407
Aircraft: B737-800
Departure: 09:50
Arrival: 11:00
BA Tier Points: 60

My return flight was almost a disaster and I nearly missed my connection back to JFK. We were delayed an hour at LAX due to ATC restrictions at SFO due to fog.

Our gate was on a remote stand due to some re-surfacing work that is going on at LAX.

It was a long and bumpy ride in a coach all the way down to the West end of the airport to our remote gate where we were joined by a host of 777s from AA, El Al and V Australia.

Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:49 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Great TR ^ and welcome to FT
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Flight #8

Flight #8
Routing: SFO-JFK
Flight Number: AA16
Aircraft: B767-200
Departure: 12:30
Arrival: 21:20

We landed in from my previous flight from LAX at 12:20, but thankfully my 12:30 flight to JFK was also delayed. A quick dash between gates saw me nice and comfortable in 2D again.

I was delighted to see the same great crew from the day before, but once again underwhelmed by the quality of food.

Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Flight #9

Flight #9
Routing: JFK-LHR
Flight Number: AA106
Aircraft: B777-200
Departure: 23:05
Arrival: 11:00

I apologise for the lack of photographs in this section of the trip report.....my camera had died!

I settled into to seat 2A and was amazed to find a full meal service offered at mid-night ona 6 hour cruise. All the main cabin lights were left on while most people tried to sleep. Crazy.

In the morning I awoke to see one of the flight deck sat in 1A eating his breakfast. Do they carry three flight deck on this route or is it okay to have one person in command in the cockpit?

Once again, a very disappointing flight with AA across the pond. It seems that they save their best crews for domestic F!
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Flight #10

Flight #10
Routing: LHR-HKG
Flight Number: CX252
Aircraft: B747-400
Departure: 12:30
Arrival: 07:30

A quick dash to the BA First lounge for breakfast and a shower then saw me heading to catch my next ride back to HKG. I was so happy to be back on CX after AA!

Why didn't BA refit their roof lining on the 744 when they fitted new First?

I was delighted to see the same crew that brought me out on my earlier flight. They made a major fuss of me....

Food service started.....so much better than AA.

Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Flight #11

Flight #11
Routing: HKG-BKK-CMB
Flight Number: CX703
Aircraft: B777-300
Departure: 20:05
Arrival: 00:30
Load: 10%
BA Tier Points: 120

After arriving from LHR I went back into the city for some further business meetings. After my day's work I returned to sample The Wing.

The Cabana's are beginning to show their age but I understand a refurb is planned later this year.

We were on a remote stand for the flight back to CMB.

Same old regional business class.......

Food was okay between BKK and CMB

HKG to BKK menu

BKK to CMB menu

Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Flight #12

Flight #12
Routing: CMB-DXB
Flight Number: EK349
Aircraft: B777-300ER
Departure: 03:15
Arrival: 06:00
Load: 40%
BA Tier Points: Not applicable

So my mammoth road trip had come to an end and it was time to head back to DXB with EK.

The EK lounge at CMB is not as good as the one that CX use.

On board was typical EK.

I love the stars in the cabin on EK.

Old Jul 23, 2011, 12:23 pm

Great report - your pictures show the clear difference in standards between CX and AA, amazing!

It's the same amenity kit in first as in business on AA. I'd feel short changed if I were you.

Palmer
Old Jul 23, 2011, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Fantastic trip report!!!!!!!!

Pity you didn't get to fly EK's A380/B777 Suites, for they are miles ahead of CX's F semi-Suites.

With regards to your long-haul American Airlines' first class experience, it could not better capture how AAtrocious the product and staff are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.