Wiki Posts
Search

LHR-MAD-LPA Iberia Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2011, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
LHR-MAD-LPA Iberia Business Class

Some photos are available herehttp://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...8&l=52c542df09

I booked this trip on Iberia.com BA had the same flights with BA flight numbers but at about 15% more expensive. After booking no seats were allocated and there is no option to select seats. Next day I entered my BAEC number and then seats were auto allocated. There was no option to change them here or on the BA site (My return flight MAD-LHR was BA)

Checkin and LHR lounges

I arrived at 08.15 for the 10.55 departure to MAD. There were 3 desks and 1 was open with no queue. I was asked if I would like to take my bag onboard as they said they were handled by BA who would only take them 2 hours before departure. I said no and after a phone call the woman said she could take it as I was business class. She told me about fast track and the lounge and added that she now needed to find out what to do with my bag. This didn't give me much confidence but it turned out fine.

Fast track security took 5 mins. I decided to try the AA Admirals club since I have BA Sapphire. I didn't stay long. For an international lounge I thought it was dire. The only food for breakfast were buscuits and a few danish pastries. So I headed to CX which I knew to be better. The woman on reception said I was welcome to go in but they had a flight delayed from the previous day and I wouldn't be very comfortable. So I headed to BA Gallaries Club which was good. I enjoyed fruit salad, bacon roll, toast and pastries

At 10.20 I headed to gate 18. There was a separate business channel to get into the gate but boarding had started and there was a long wait in a single queue to board

LHR-MAD IB3163

The A321 had four rows of business class. Seats are the same as economy but with an empty middle seat and a 34" pitch (Economy has 31"). A large selection of English and Spanish papers was offered before take off. We left pretty much on time with a flight time of 1 hr 50 mins. Once in the air it was 40 mins before anything was offered. The tray contained a very nice cod salad with warm chicken, cheese plate and desert. There were 2 bottles of olve oil and rolls were offered twice. Drinks were served at the same time as the meal. When the tray was cleared I was offered coffee on a separate cup and saucer with chocolates. I opted for more wine instead of the after dinner drinks on offer. However I didn't have chance to drink much of it. The moment we stared to descend and before the seat belt signs came on the drinks were cleared. I asked for water in a plastic cup for the descent but the answer was "No". So, nice meal and seat but slow and abrupt service.

Transfer at MAD

We arrived at T4 and I needed to go to T4S M gates. I found I had to follow the signs quite carefully to the train. M gates were near the stop. I think this is a domestic area so I did not get to use the main lounge. The lounge here was much smaller but very pleasant. There were a number of wines in small bottles, sandwiches and pre packed salads. I headed to the gate at 16.00 for the 16.35 departure. This time there was priority boarding via a separate airbridge for business class

MAD-LPA IB808

This was an A340, which I think is rare on this route, with the Business plus longhal seats. They are fully flat but with no privacy and in a 2 2 2 config. Again newspapers were offered before take off and we pushed back on time with a flight time of 2 hrs 15 min. This time service was faster. Again the meal was good. Chicken salad to start followed by veal steak with veg, cheese and desert. Again there were 2 olive oils and plenty of bread. This time the coffee cup and chocolate were on the tray. After dinner drinks were poured from large bottles (the wine was in small bottles) and the service was much better than the previous flight. We landed on time, took a short bus ride to the terminal and my priority tagged bag was amongst the first off.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 4:07 pm

This is a strange coincidence.

I want to fly from LPA to London using BA miles but there is only room in C; nothing in Y.

I was wondering what the service would be like. Did you like LPA?

Lastly how long did you have to connect in Madrid going and returning? I am always scared my bags won't make it.

Thanks.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
I think the minimum connect time is 1 hour. I allowed 2-3 hours each way as I wanted to try out the lounges. The main lounge in T4S is great. Enjoyed Las Palmas and stayed at the AC Gran Canaria which I would recommend. Only problem was it didnt have any tourist info and wouldn't book any tours, but then neither would the nearby tourist info place

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.