Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

ON THE ROAD AGAIN: From The Bottom of Africa to The Top of Alaska

ON THE ROAD AGAIN: From The Bottom of Africa to The Top of Alaska

Old Jun 3, 11, 6:27 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
Here at FlyerTalk, we Masters of Mileage Accrual would never deign to travel such distances in anything less than a proper Business Class seat. Indeed, some of us will settle for nothing less than the very best ~ a First Class Suite to convey our pampered posteriors across the long, intercontinental segments.
The only way to fly....

Another top report from a top report writer. Thanks for putting this together Seat 2A. ^
Old Jun 3, 11, 7:28 am

Programs: AA Plat for Life, Starwood Platinum, HH Gold
A great TR with outstanding pictures.

Thank you very much.

BTW my last CX F class was HKG - JFK, nice and long to enjoy all they offer!
Old Jun 3, 11, 9:32 am

Programs: AA GLD 1MM; US PP; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Wegmans Shoppers Club; ExxonMobil Speedpass
I welcome any and all comments, questions, cat calls, etc.

How were the food and margaritas at Pepe's?

I like the idea of going to Barrow just to dip my toe in the ocean. I used to daydream about driving the road to Tuktoyaktuk but Barrow looks to be a little farther North.

Great report, I particularly enjoyed the train journey from LA to Chicago.

twj
Old Jun 3, 11, 11:28 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Loved the report, particularly the writeup on the Amtrak ride. I've always wondered what it would be like to ride one of those cross country trains and the interactions you could have with others, but I might go insane being on a train for that long of a time period.
Old Jun 3, 11, 12:49 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Very enjoyable read. I too would happily read about your mileage runs and other adventures around the world.
Old Jun 3, 11, 2:18 pm
Community Director

Typical wonderful trip report from Seat 2A. I can never get enough discussion of CX F, but I must say I was also thoroughly engaged by the pictures of travel on Amtrak. I'm surprisingly tempted to try a trip.
Old Jun 3, 11, 4:17 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold, Lufthansa Silver, BA Amex, Starwood Platinum
Great report, wish there were more report like this!
Old Jun 4, 11, 10:54 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Awesome report, especially the photo at the top of the first page. Your description of CX F looks amazing, how would you rank it against SQ, TG, NH, etc.?
Old Jun 4, 11, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
There are alot of new trip reports out right now and so I'm thankful and appreciative to those of you who've managed to notice this one amongst the many fine reports currently available to choose from. Thanks so much for your comments and questions as well. Here are some comments and answers of my own...

Quote from Thor3: What did you use as your camera?
I have a Minolta SD850i pocket camera. I don’t know much about photography, but I think I compose a pretty decent shot, so when I feel I’ve got a decent enough subject, I’ll usually take three or four pictures of it. One of them is bound to turn out half way decent.

Quote from CMK10: You did not ride in a "Standard Bedroom" on Amtrak, you had a "Roomette". Do you think you could change your wording?
Consider it done, Charles. I was using Amtrak’s long time terminology and am happy to see that they’ve finally adopted the proper and historical word for this style of compartment. Hope we can meet up on a train someday!

Quote from ual902: By the way, how did you get that Krug Bottle picture?
Ask and ye shall receive…

Quote from Loose Cannon: I would have liked more information about the other flights not detailed
Unless there’s decent First Class meal service or something particularly noteworthy about the flight, I’m finding it increasingly difficult to write with any degree of inspiration about US domestic flights.

Quote from tegwj: How were the food and Margaritas at Pepe's?
The food was okay – nothing special, really, but I do think half the fun at Pepe’s is the warm ambience and getting into that South of the Border mindset, especially in chilly Barrow. A good Mexican cerveza or a Margarita would contribute mightily to this but alas, no alcohol is available for sale in Barrow.

Quote from jmcp1575: Great report, wish there were more reports like this!
There are! You can read a few of them right HERE. Additionally, you may want to check out the older trip reports from around 2001-2004. Because there was not yet the ability to imbed photographs on this forum, there were many more written reports as opposed to the basic photo reports that dominate today. Not that there aren’t some good writers out there today, but when it comes to describing a premium class flight on a specific airline, there were a lot more nicely written reports.

Quote from BryanIAH: Your description of CX F looks amazing, how would you rank it against SQ, TG, NH, etc.?
Bryan, I wish I could answer that question from personal experience but my one long First Class flight on SQ was 20 years ago, and I've only flown TG First Class on a short SIN-BKK leg. From the reports I've read here, I'm sure CX's First Class would compare favorably although in certain areas airlines like SQ and EK offer a few extra whistles and bells.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 6, 11 at 11:31 am
Old Jun 4, 11, 3:35 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold, Lufthansa Silver, BA Amex, Starwood Platinum
Great TR as always with even better photos. Keep up the good work!
Old Jun 5, 11, 3:31 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Fabulous trip report, as always from you ^

A good Mexican cerveza or a Margarita would contribute mightily to this but alas, Barrow is a dry city.
I've heard people refer to many such Alaskan cities as "damp."
No alcohol sales, but personal use/importation is legal. I quite like that terminology.
Old Jun 5, 11, 10:11 am

The only thing I can say is "WOW!"

(And follow up with a heartfelt "Thank you.")
Old Jun 5, 11, 10:19 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 .5 MM
For sure a wow

I must say also what a trip report. As a fellow long hauler I would say your report is good enough to be published in the New York Times travel section. Send it to them, they will be grateful for the quality content.
Old Jun 5, 11, 1:20 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Seat 2A, I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed reading your report. For pure variety of the travelling experience, i am in complete awe. Thank you, again
Old Jun 5, 11, 4:00 pm

Fantastic photos on the 747!

Search this Thread