Search

MAN-LHR-TXL-LHR-MAN in club europe

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2011, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
MAN-LHR-TXL-LHR-MAN in club europe

Hi all

This is my first go at posting a trip so bear with me.

I decided to burn up some miles and check out Berlin. So it was off to MAN on Sunday to catch the shuttle to LHR. I only had hand luggage so straight to security at T3 and the new body scanners - All easy enough.

Next through the seemingly constantly changing T3 and upstairs to the BA lounge. First thing was 'can I see your passport pse?' then into the lounge. As previously posted on here the lounge is shrinking having lost some time ago, 1/4 to FlyBe and now another 1/4 has (I think) gone to someone else (maybe Air France?) The locked doors to the left of the picture indicate the latest closed off 1/4 which is now completely sparse. Anyhow it was fairly empty so I grabbed a nibble and waited for boarding.

MAN-BA-lounge-27032011_2 by Telecasterman, on Flickr

Route: MAN-LHR
Airline: BA
Flight Number: BA1395
Aircraft: A321
Seat: 10F
Domestic Class
Flight Duration: 0h:35m
Reg: G-EUXE (1st time on this aircraft)

G-EUXE-27032011-dep-EGCC by Telecasterman, on Flickr

It was a normal shuttle flight, once round the Bovingdon hold and onto Rwy 09L at LHR.

Parked up at T5, so follow 'Flight Connections' and into the T5 concourse for a quick browse. I nipped briefly into the South lounge area negotiating passed an irate passenger remonstrating with a customer services staff member about the 'First' lounge.

I only had time to grab a mineral water in a fairly busy lounge before I had to leave to catch my next flight to Berlin.

Route: LHR-TXL
Flight Number: BA0986
Aircraft: A320
Seat: 02F
Club Europe Class
Flight Duration: 1h:30m
Reg: G-EUUM (1st time on this aircraft)

Welcomed on board by a nice crew and settled into the window seat. Pushed back on time with a relatively full flight today. Began our taxi then paused shortly - Just enough time to fire off this snap of an old favorite of mine parked remotely G-BUSK.

G-BUSK-EGLL-27032011 by Telecasterman, on Flickr

Take off was to the east on Rwy 09R at LHR. It was a nice flying day and we soon hit the cruise.

G-EUUM-LHR-TXL-27032011-ins by Telecasterman, on Flickr

I often wonder why they picked the 'Beach huts' and other pictures on the Airbus fleet - Anyhow time for some grub!

G-EUUM-LHR---TXL-food-27032 by Telecasterman, on Flickr

Not bad - Just one point, they use the same 'El Muro' plonk on the shuttle too!

While I was deciding on which butty to go for first, I noticed 'splash's' on the exposed seat back in front of me. Maybe someone knows from whence they came? I must admit I was a tad surprised to see similar on my later return shuttle flight.

G-EUUM-LHR---TXL--CE-Cabin- by Telecasterman, on Flickr

Anyhow on with the trip - we were now approaching TXL as the sun was beginning to set.

App-TXL-27032011 by Telecasterman, on Flickr

BERLIN

TXL is about 20mins in a taxi (approx 17-18 euros), you can also pick up the TXL bus o/s the terminal into the city. A lot depends on where you are staying etc...

The city is still finding its sense of 'place' following reunification. Much of the architecture is a mix of old/new with most of 'old' Berlin flattened during WW11.

Getting around is easy and feels safe. I would recommend one of many walking tours of the city, they last around 4-5hrs - good if a trip to the hotel wellness spa is on your list of must do's!!

Brandenberg-Gate-28032011 by Telecasterman, on Flickr

Reichstag-28032011 by Telecasterman, on Flickr

Times up, so its back to the airport on Tuesday.

Berlin-Tegel-sign by Telecasterman, on Flickr

I checked in online and decided to print my boarding cards at the airport which is indicated as an option for TXL. Be aware it isn't! However, if you are booked in club or have status pop up to the BA Terraces airside lounge on the 2nd floor (its in a corner of the terminal where there is a main exit for the city TXL bus) and the nice lady there will print one for you.

By the way, If you need the toilet you have to leave the lounge and go downstairs.

I have to say that the customer service at this lounge was 1st class. ^

BA-Terraces-loung-TXL-29032 by Telecasterman, on Flickr

Time to go so I head off to gate A04 and go through security - again very straight forward with the notable exception of 'staff' and by that I mean airport staff not crew barging in to the front.

Time to fly

Route: TXL-LHR
Flight Number: BA0991
Aircraft: A319
Seat: 05F
Club Europe Class
Flight Duration: 1h:35m
Reg: G-EUOI (1st time on this aircraft)

G-EUOI-TXL-29032011 by Telecasterman, on Flickr

It was a bright sunny day and as we departed I got some great views of the lakes and many rivers that surround Berlin

G-EUOI-TXL-dep-29032011 by Telecasterman, on Flickr

Back on board its 'different' pictures again folks.

G-EUOI-TXL---LHR-CE-inside- by Telecasterman, on Flickr

Time for some grub, served individually by the very helpful Debi.

G-EUOI-TXL---LHE-CE-food-29 by Telecasterman, on Flickr

G-EUOI-TXL---LHR-in-flight- by Telecasterman, on Flickr

We touched down on Rwy 09L at LHR again, so a shortish taxi to T5 and off the plane up through the 'Connections' myriad of 'can I see your boarding card and passport pse?' before emerging back into the T5 concourse again.

This time I head off to the north lounge (ignore were it says 'south' in the image link - typo), which I prefer when using domestic flights because most of mine seem to go from the A1-6 gates below the lounge(I think I've got that right).

Anyway into the lounge and a snack. When I'm flying alone I like to sit at the stools by the windows that look over Rwy 09L.

I went for the 'beef stew and rice' this time. They are also doing some 'chicken curry', 'vegetable curry' and 'pasta' + the usual salad/soup offerings etc...

Lunch-South-loung-29032011 by Telecasterman, on Flickr

SOuth-lounge-LHR-29032011 by Telecasterman, on Flickr

Another plane to catch

Route: LHR-MAN
Flight Number: BA1394
Aircraft: A320
Seat: 07A
Domestic UK Class
Flight Duration: 0h:35m
Reg: G-EUYH (1st time on this aircraft)

This one had the new 'space saver' seats. I think the headrest has improved, not too sure about the support for longer flights but all that's been well covered in other threads.

We took off from 09R giving a view of the newer 'building' work in progress.

G-EUYH-LHR---MAN-29032011-n by Telecasterman, on Flickr

I landed back into MAN on time having had another good trip on BA.

t

Last edited by Telecasterman; Mar 31, 2011 at 4:37 pm
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:12 am

Programs: Delta, HH, Hyatt, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold
Great trip report!
Berlin is one of my favorite cities on the world! The pictures bring back some fond memories!
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:36 am

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
Great TR.

There aren't very many reports from MAN or BER here on FT.

Thanks for sharing ^
Old Mar 31, 2011, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Spot the typo - last flight should read LHR-MAN not LHR-TXL.

Nice report - thanks for the pics.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks All and stu1985 for the typo spot.

Anyone know how I can correct/edit that typo?
Old Mar 31, 2011, 4:36 pm

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Telecasterman
Thanks All and stu1985 for the typo spot.

Anyone know how I can correct/edit that typo?
Just click the edit button at the bottom of that post
Old Mar 31, 2011, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks - appreciated
Old Mar 31, 2011, 4:53 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
I wonder if the splash marks are from milk. When you get those tiny little pots with the sealed cover, when you open them up they always seem to explode all over the show.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:34 pm

Nice trip report. Thanks for posting.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 9:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Very nice report Telecasterman....great pictures as well. ^
Old Apr 3, 2011, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Good quality pics - the last lounge pic should read the 'North' lounge rather than 'South'.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 4:59 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, Le Club Accor Gold
Lovely photos of Berlin, its made me sad that i'm going to Bristol for Easter and not Berlin as i have done for the last 2 years

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.