Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

EVA AIR: B747 Business Class SFO-TPE-HKG

EVA AIR: B747 Business Class SFO-TPE-HKG

Old Mar 25, 11, 11:47 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 4,449
EVA AIR New Business Class: B747 SFO-TPE-HKG

I flew SFO-HKG and wanted to try EVA Airways. I thought the experience was very nice. The food was quite excellent. It was way better than most USA carrier food, no question. I was very pleased with the food. Also, it was very healthy with lots of fruit for dessert instead of sweets with cream.

The service was outstanding. All the FA's spoke English and were very pleasant. Anytime I asked for something, it was always brought to me promptly. Just great service.

The planes had the new premium laurel business class product. This is basically their new configuration business class that has angled lie-flats and a great AVOD. It was very modern and nice. The angled lie-flat is like Lufthansa's business class--angled and not the most comfortable for sleeping on your side. It's fine for sitting & relaxing, but if you're a side sleeper, this may be less comfortable.

Here is the entire video trip report. I hope you enjoy it:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYJ6UUSp1-M


Here are some photos of what the business class product is like:


waiting for plane by sfflyer123, on Flickr


B747 nose by sfflyer123, on Flickr


Appetizer SFO-TPE by sfflyer123, on Flickr


Congee Breakfast by sfflyer123, on Flickr


Lounge by sfflyer123, on Flickr



These photos are just a sample. The full trip report is here:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYJ6UUSp1-M


I hope you enjoy it!

Last edited by SFflyer123; Mar 25, 11 at 11:56 pm
SFflyer123 is offline  
Old Mar 26, 11, 12:15 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: US
Programs: AA/UA/DL
Posts: 2,650
Thanks for the video.^
pigx5 is offline  
Old Mar 26, 11, 1:49 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: SJC
Programs: AS MVP
Posts: 2,096
Nice way to post a trip report!
flyingstudent is offline  
Old Mar 26, 11, 2:11 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: IAD/DCA/FLL/MIA
Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS, AA*EXP, Hyatt*Globalist
Posts: 10,989
Great to see a trip report on EVA, although I cannot see the video until I am out of China.

I do hope EVA can join *A in the near future.
UA_Flyer is offline  
Old Mar 26, 11, 3:41 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: TPE, LAX
Programs: LH Senator, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 592
I was in HKG from mid December til mid Jan...

I did recall seeing a few people filming on their handycams in Central, on Queen's Road, especially under that HUGE Omega ad with Nicole Kidman.. maybe I saw you there...
flyhen is offline  
Old Mar 26, 11, 3:51 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Posts: 2,563
Great video, thanks! Those seats look awfully similar to AA's J.
johndeere19 is offline  
Old Mar 27, 11, 12:50 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 4,449
Thanks!

Originally Posted by pigx5 View Post
Thanks for the video.^
Thanks for the kind words.

Originally Posted by flyingstudent View Post
Nice way to post a trip report!
Thank you!

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer View Post
Great to see a trip report on EVA, although I cannot see the video until I am out of China.

I do hope EVA can join *A in the near future.
Thanks for trying to watch it. Yes, if EVA joins *A, that would be huge. It would be very nice!

Originally Posted by flyhen View Post
I was in HKG from mid December til mid Jan...

I did recall seeing a few people filming on their handycams in Central, on Queen's Road, especially under that HUGE Omega ad with Nicole Kidman.. maybe I saw you there...
Yes, that was me! I had the camera in my right hand!

Originally Posted by johndeere19 View Post
Great video, thanks! Those seats look awfully similar to AA's J.
Thank you. I have never flown AA J since the alliance is not *A, but I hope to one day!
SFflyer123 is offline  
Old Mar 27, 11, 2:36 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Posts: 35,069
I saw you that you posted on TR by entire a.net. Your video was so incredible!! I can't wait to see your returns flight back home. You didn't want to fly nonstop SFO-HKG on UA or SQ? How come? Next time you should taking on next future trip from SFO-HKG nonstop is more convenient. You don't want to spent waits times in TPE during international transit time.

You did fabulous jobs to post the photos & video, too.
N830MH is offline  
Old Mar 27, 11, 9:33 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East Coast
Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Posts: 10,054
Great trip report and I completely agree with you that EVA's Premium Laurel seats are not that comfortable.
fly747first is online now  
Old Mar 29, 11, 8:54 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 4,449
Thanks

Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
I saw you that you posted on TR by entire a.net. Your video was so incredible!! I can't wait to see your returns flight back home. You didn't want to fly nonstop SFO-HKG on UA or SQ? How come? Next time you should taking on next future trip from SFO-HKG nonstop is more convenient. You don't want to spent waits times in TPE during international transit time.

You did fabulous jobs to post the photos & video, too.
Thanks very much. I chose EVA air this time because we needed to stop in Taipei for business. It worked out very well. However, on the way back, I took UA direct from HKG. I will post that TR later. Thank you for your kind words!

Originally Posted by fly747first View Post
Great trip report and I completely agree with you that EVA's Premium Laurel seats are not that comfortable.
Thanks for the comment! Yes, I must say that I think all in all, UA's seat is quite nice. I really enjoy UA's new seat and IFE a lot.
SFflyer123 is offline  
Old Mar 29, 11, 11:54 am
  #11  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: All Over the world!
Programs: BA Exec Club, EK Skywards, Hilton Hhonors. No Mucci, but have a far more useful Gucci (wallet).
Posts: 591
Thanks for a great trip report, the video trip report. Nice shots of SFO airport.
WhitePlains is offline  
Old Mar 29, 11, 8:06 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 4,449
Thanks!

Originally Posted by WhitePlains View Post
Thanks for a great trip report, the video trip report. Nice shots of SFO airport.
Thanks very much for those kind words.
SFflyer123 is offline  
Old Mar 30, 11, 12:33 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Posts: 35,069
Originally Posted by fly747first View Post
Great trip report and I completely agree with you that EVA's Premium Laurel seats are not that comfortable.
I think its more comfortable for me. I took on DL/US that I flown in J class before and it was so comfortable for me. I didn't have any problems at all.

Originally Posted by SFflyer123 View Post
Thanks very much. I chose EVA air this time because we needed to stop in Taipei for business. It worked out very well. However, on the way back, I took UA direct from HKG. I will post that TR later. Thank you for your kind words!
Appreciated it for your efforts and glad you had a great flight. Why you stop in TPE for? Is that for business? How do you feels that you flown long jetlags from SFO-TPE?
N830MH is offline  
Old Mar 30, 11, 9:22 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: WAS
Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HH DIAMOND, IHG SPIRE AMB, et al.
Posts: 3,867
Dosnon & Lepage Champagne and Royal Salute in J - very impressive!

Nice report. Thanks for posting.

-FlyerBeek
FlyerBeek is offline  
Old Mar 30, 11, 11:46 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: PDX
Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
Posts: 1,799
great report

that was a great report and video--simple and very informative about EVA-AIR
Much appreciated !!
mrx900 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: