Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

JER-LGW-MAN tier point run (Part 2)

Old Mar 13, 11, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Diamond

Here's the second part of my MAN-LGW-JER-LGW-MAN tier point run. First part is in the BA forum until I get it moved.

Set my alarm for around 3am even though my flight wasn't until 7am as I fancied popping out for a run.
Woke up on time, got changed and spent a few minutes waiting for my Garmin to get a satellite lock before I started to run.
One thing I really like about Jersey is the fantastic sea front. Footpaths and cycle paths all the way from St. Helier to St. Aubin and the airport and a nice gentle run 8 mile run up to St. Aubin and back ensued. Few cars about at that time but peaceful with just the waves crashing on the shore and the wind hitting me in the face. One place though with pretty much no lighting so more care taken there.

Anyway, got back after an hour, showered and double checked everything was in order and that I'd left nothing behind. Taxi was booked for 5:40am the night before via the reception desk and that arrived on time. Since I was too early for breakfast, a few things had been left on a table near the bar. Basics like coffee, tea, fruit bars etc. No problem checking out.
Friendly Glaswegian taxi driver and around 15 minutes to the airport on near empty roads. Cost around 19.20 for the return fare which was about 7 more than coming from the airport. No idea if this is something to do with the time of day or if the hotel get a cut or something.

A few people were arriving at the terminal but pretty empty to say the least. Headed over to the BA check-in desks and got my boarding passes for JER-LGW and LGW-MAN. The baggage belts didn't seem to be working so had to drop my bag off at an area a few feet to the left. Then made my way to departures and straight through security as there was no-one else there.
One coffee type shop was open and a couple of other shops across from it were still locked up considering it was around 6am. Saw a sign mentioning a lounge so headed through some doors to my left, quick right turn and wandered down a corridor with gates on either side. Kept walking until I saw the FlyBe executive lounge. No sign of the BA lounge. Eventually ended up at the end of the corridor and had completely missed the lounge so had to walk back and asked the only other person there who pointed my to a door 100 yards on my left. Had somehow missed the sign standing outside the door, probably as it's a bit more subtle than what I was expecting.

Went in and showed my boarding pass to the girl behind the desk without a problem. We were the only two people in here at that time. Usual BA lounge with mix and match chairs, tables, plasma screen showing news and a small tv with the departures board on it.
Had a look at the offerings and these consisted of:

Oranges; apples; bananas; Walker's shortbread, oat crunch, ginger and chocolate biscuits; various teas and coffees; hot chocolate; Abbey Well water bottles; Schweppes drinks / mixers; large toffee and blueberry muffins (not the mini ones at the Manchester Terraces lounge); Walker's ready salt and salt & vingear crisps; Peroni.
Plus a selection of alcoholic drinks including wines.

No cereal as with the MAN and LGW lounges although they had crisps and I hadn't seen these anywhere else.

Helped myself to a hot chocolate, some biscuits and a couple of small cans of pineapple juice (needed to fill a glass) and settled down in a chair to eat, watch tv and to use the wi-fi service.

After about 20 minutes or so, a few other people arrived so in the end there were half a dozen people in the lounge.

At 6:40am, no-one seemed to be moving so I went outside and looked at the room next door where the non-CE passengers were. Fairly full and I wasn't sure if I was supposed to go in here for boarding or what.
Popped back into the lounge and asked the girl behind the desk and she mentioned that the lounge doors would be opening shortly. Obviously they board non-CE passengers first and then the CE passengers who can stay in he lounge as long as possible.
Popped to the bathroom area next to reception. No Elemis handwash in here compared to the other lounges.

Around 6:50am, the doors between the tv showing boarding and the food area opened and people started to get up and make their way towards them. Quick boarding pass check and outside for the short walk to the aircraft, stopping to get a photo before climbing the steps.
The cabin crew in CE were the same as on the way out the day before and checked my boarding pass and welcomed me as before.

Legroom with the seat upright....plenty for me (5ft7)

Slightly amusing sign outside my window as I watched the passengers boarding the FlyBe flight that leaves 5 minutes later.

Short taxi and safety briefing and then an eventful take-off with some nice views of Jersey.

Video of take-off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr0rN768iRo

It was announced shortly after take-off that the flight was due to take around 35 minutes plus the usual weather report etc. Breakfast was served a few minutes later and consisted of sausage, scrambled egg, bacon, tomato something-or-other and some mushrooms. Juice and water were provided and tea & coffee offered. Didn't bother to ask for champagne as I was only half way through my lunch during the inbound flight and had to rush to finish things off and didn't want to do the same this time.

What delights lie within?

Lincolnshire? sausage passes the Hiddy test...

Lovely views during the flight when the cloud cleared enough and the sun was shining off them
Is this Guernsey I can see a few minutes after take-off with Jersey behind?

The flight landed early and taxied over to Gate 55, the same gate I would be departing from later that day to Manchester (well 55C or 55D depending on where they parked).
Since my luggage had been checked through and I noiw knew where to go, I quickly made my way back into the main terminal, upstairs and joined the queue yet again for security. Photo taken again and the security officer commented that I must be a regular as I was already looking directly at the camera before he asked.
Plenty of Scots in the queue from their accents and a rather fetching young lady in front of me Refering a thread in the BA forum, if only I had been flying first from Heathrow and had a cabana booked

No problems with security and for the first time the metal detector didn't go off so no pat down.
Into the shopping area which was fairly busy for 8am and I made my way to the BA lounge. Wasn't sure if I would get let in as I have no status and was connecting from CE to a domestic flight. Tried my luck but was told "Sorry, no". No real hardship so went downstairs and picked up a meal deal for 3.79 from Boots (Innocent smoothie, malt loaf and a white breaded chicken salsa sandwich that consisted of one half being what it said and the other half chicken mayo in brown bread). Was going to go to one of the eateries but didn't really fancy anything at that time and it was fine sitting near the duty free shop playing with my phone and watching the world go by or just thinking how many atttractive women there are compared to back home!

My flight was due to depart around 10:55am so I headed over to the gate without a problem half an hour beforehand and took a seat until boarding commenced a few minutes beforehand. Golds etc were called first and then everyone else. The flight ws around half full and sitting near the front, plenty of space with my row empty and CE type spacing with the middle seat unnoccupied in other rows around me.

Familiar pattern of short taxi, safety briefing, and then take-off. Nice seeing a Virgin Atlantic 747 take-off two planes before myself.

A snack ws served shortly after take-off and drinks offered. No idea about alcohol being available so just had a coffee to go with my fruit bar.

The plane headed along the direction of the runway for a while before making a 90 degree turn to the right (not sure of N, S, E or W). It flew on that bearing for a short while before turning again (East?) and flying parallel to Gatwick. Nice views of the airport and it looks really small.

Plenty of cloud en-route so couldn't really see much of London and the flight to Manchester.

Landed a few minutes early at around 11:40am and were soon off and on our way to the baggage carousuels. Few minutes to wait here before the belts started up and everyone collected their luggage, some partially smashed, most intact. Mine happened to be the last bag out although one woman was still waiting when I collected mine. No idea if her luggage turned up or what.
Quick walk over to Terminal 1 and I decided to use the elevator go go up 2 floors (why are the floors something like 1, 3, 5 etc rather than 1, 2, 3 etc?). Took around 3 minutes for the lift to arrive and get me upstairs - next time I'll walk up the stairs.
5 minutes walk along the walkway to the train station and then a 45-50 minute wait for my train which was due at 12:55. Sat in the overpriced cafe / waiting area with a few others until my train arrive at 12:45pm in front of another that was already there. Took my seat in First (28 for a single in First compared to 38 in Standard and I got 30% off as well). Train left on time and filled up when it reach Manchester Picadilly although only half a dozen people in First.
Was looking forward to getting a snack and a drink on the train but for the entire 3 hour journey, no sign of any buffet service whatsoever.
Train arrived on time and ws home by taxi a few minutes later.

Uneventful journey although there are ways of doing it faster but it earned me 2500 BA miles and my first 100 tier points so I'm on my way to Silver (600 tier points). US travel planned later in the year so I'll get my staus upgrade then. Need to figure out how hotel schemes work as well as I'm sure that I could have possibly got more than 800ish points for my Crowne Plaza (IHG) stay.

Last edited by xenole; Mar 13, 11 at 9:49 am
Old Mar 13, 11, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
1. In that last picture of LGW, you're heading East.

2. The JER Lounge is not well signposted unless you actually find the door! It's by Gate 3.
Yes, they open the door from the Lounge to the Gate once the majority of ET passengers have boarded ... it's one place where Priority Boarding works well in reverse!!
Old Mar 13, 11, 2:53 pm

Programs: No Longer Anything
Thanks for posting the TR. I learned a new Airport Code (JER) and the photos of clouds and the airport very nice!
Old Mar 14, 11, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by JenGal View Post
Thanks for posting the TR. I learned a new Airport Code (JER) and the photos of clouds and the airport very nice!
Easy for those of us who fly JER-IAD ... not direct, of course, JER is a bit too small for that. We can't even take a 737-800
http://www.maplandia.com/united-king...ersey-airport/
Old Mar 15, 11, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT, Bonvoy PLT +, Hilton Diamond
WOW, a full hot breakfast served on a 35 minute flight, this would never happen here in the states!!! Good for you..

Originally Posted by xenole View Post
It was announced shortly after take-off that the flight was due to take around 35 minutes plus the usual weather report etc. Breakfast was served a few minutes later and consisted of sausage, scrambled egg, bacon, tomato something-or-other and some mushrooms. Juice and water were provided and tea & coffee offered. Didn't bother to ask for champagne as I was only half way through my lunch during the inbound flight and had to rush to finish things off and didn't want to do the same this time.
Old Mar 16, 11, 11:32 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum/Delta GM
that picture is absolutely amazing
Old Mar 17, 11, 6:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
im fairly certain that you should of been entitled to lounge access at LGW on your return when connecting from a CE flight ?
cs

Search this Thread
Search Engine: