FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trip Reports (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports-177/)
-   -   PHL-MAN-EDI-LHR-PHL in US Airways (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports/1189729-phl-man-edi-lhr-phl-us-airways.html)

IzzyL Mar 1, 2011 6:58 pm

PHL-MAN-EDI-LHR-PHL in US Airways

Needed to make a quick trip to Scotland two weekes. Since I didn't have much time to plan and book, I did have to pay a premimum fare for the tickets and of course, I wanted to go Envoy class.
I was going to try to upgrade with miles, so I called the Gold line...but still had to go through the international line for arrangements.
Unfortunately, I could only get an upgrade (w/miles) on the A333 PHL to MAN and was not able to score row 1. Still excited about flying Envoy and took full advantage of the Envoy lounge in PHL. Had an hour and a half to sample the food and have a couple of drinks. The place was empty on a Monday night and I was able to spread out and keep my electronics all charged ready to go.

I was a bit disappointed in the Envpoy seat on the A333, it was narrow and when I put the tray table down it rested on my legs.:eek: After being delayed an hour out of PHL, the FA got right to work taking orders while we boarded and passing out some champagne. The delay got longer when the mechanics were called on board to fix a lav and then the next we heard the FA's calling for any medical personnel on board. A woman had passed out near the rear of the AC. Next thing I saw the ambulance coming up to the pland and EMT's boarding. Eventually, they were able to take the woman and her husband off the plane and then they had to unload her luggage. She was okay but didn't wnat to take a risk flying after that episode. FA's didn't make another pass with the champagne:td:

After departure drink with nuts, linen table cover and salad and app. I was very happy with the meal and the FA's kept refilling my wine glass, so I was happy! I was able to watch a movie while eating dinner and then it was time to snooze.
Here is where I was unhappy with the envoy product. The seat was uncomfortable and it was hard to stretch out. Sure wish I was able to get Row 1:(

I booked the second leg on the same PNR with *A partner BMI from MAN to EDI and couldn't avoid a 5 hour layover! My mistake was not checking throughly how to get to the *A lounge at the SAS Radisson in Manchester. Unfortunately I made a BIG mistake following the "flight transfer" signs instead of going out through customs. I could have spent a nice couple of hours in the day lounge instead of the BMI lounge. (Oh, well--my mistake)

And it just keeps getting better...my 3:00 plane was delayed then cancelled and I was eventually put on a flight leaving at 5 getting in a little after 6. By the time I picked up my rental and drove out to St. Andrews I was up for 33 hours!!!

After a week and concluding my family business, I was so looking forward to my return on the A332 new Envoy suites.

(First trip report--please be kind)

IzzyL Mar 1, 2011 7:18 pm

Return legs in Envoy

I was really looking forward to trying out the new suites after everything I read on this forum and the US Ariways forum. Thanks everyone!!!
I was able to access the BMI lounge in EDI and amanged some coffee and croissant while waiting through a short delay.

BMI runs an A321 with 3 across but they block out the middle seat for the first few row and call this business. The FA's did a quick breakfast service and coffee for a quick hour flight. It was very pleasant.
When I arrived in LHR, I was very happy to be able to stay in Terminal 1 and hit Harrods for some last minute shopping. The airport was very busy for 10am and I was happy to find the *A lounge.
The lounge attendants informed me that they would not be announcing any boarding calls, so I had to keep an eye on the monitors. The attendants didn't point out that I was eligible for the Gold side of the lounge and just pointed me in the direction of the general loung and it was very busy.

I started snooping aorund for some champagne to start off my retun trip on the right foot and couldn't find it... So I asked one of the servers and he told me that the "good stuff" was on the other side of the lounge for the Envoy passengers. Well, that was me!!! So off I went in search of some champagne. I totally had a mind melt when I didn't pay attention to the time on my boarding pass. I didn't realize that the time was for the gate closing not for the start of boarding. My gate was supposed to close in 5 minutes:confused: Off at run I went and of course, the gate that I thought was right around the corner, was a mile away.

With the help of a little delay, I made it with a few minutes to spare:D
(Not sure how strict they are about that gate closing time???But glad I didn't have to find out)

Ahh, my moment has arrived and I turn left toward my suite. I was orignally in 4A. Spacious, new, and I was very excited.http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/z...g?t=1299029165

Of course, after dashing through the terminal, I was ready for some champagne(what almost got me in trouble int he 1st place). The FA even came around with the bottle topping off our glasses.

Some more pictures of the lunch and cabin to follow