China-Nepal-India-Bangladesh by land, DAC-KUL, KUL-MFM, and HSR in China

Tianjin departure: 2010-12-22 11:38
Tianjin arrival: 2011-02-01 07:32

32 train rides and 2 flights

Index: http://www.yaohua2000.org/2010/20101222/en.html
Old Feb 6, 11, 3:24 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Wow that looks like one great adventure! It was amazing how you covered the first and end portion of your trip by trains and buses!

Any chance of more photos from the Beijing - Lhasa portion?
Old Feb 6, 11, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by quirrow View Post
Wow that looks like one great adventure! It was amazing how you covered the first and end portion of your trip by trains and buses!

Any chance of more photos from the Beijing - Lhasa portion?
This is the sixth time I am going to Tibet by train, it is nothing new to me… Here is a short video from my earlier trip in 2008: http://youtu.be/isg0W6J0sgc
Old Feb 7, 11, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very cool! Anyone who can pull off Beijing to Lhasa on a hard seat earns my respect.

I'm surprised so many of your India trains were (very) late. I traveled around India by train in the late 90s and don't recall experiencing the same, though I do remember how painfully slowly some of the trains lugged along.

Questions: How many nights did you spend in hotels over the course of your six weeks? What cities did you find most interesting? Favorite foods you discovered?

Last edited by moondog; Feb 7, 11 at 12:59 am
Old Feb 7, 11, 1:41 am

Programs: AC Elite, CX Gold, SPG gold
^^ AMAZING!!

---
[www.faskino.com]
[www.mksiu.com]
Old Feb 7, 11, 7:06 am

WOW!!! ^^^
Old Feb 7, 11, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Very cool! Anyone who can pull off Beijing to Lhasa on a hard seat earns my respect.

I'm surprised so many of your India trains were (very) late. I traveled around India by train in the late 90s and don't recall experiencing the same, though I do remember how painfully slowly some of the trains lugged along.

Questions: How many nights did you spend in hotels over the course of your six weeks? What cities did you find most interesting? Favorite foods you discovered?
It was 40 nights in all, and I spent 25 nights in hotels or hostels. Hotels in India is crazy, especially in big cities, like Mumbai. They are more expensive than many developed countries, but not up to the standard and lack of maintenance.

On January 27 in Zhuhai, I spent only 14.7 USD in 7daysinn and I got a LCD television with all buttons on the remote actually working, modern quiet air-conditioner with heating, good reliable hot water, and a big and clean bed, much better than what I got in Mumbai that costed me nearly 6000 rupees on January 8. Everything is cheap in India except accommodation. I think India should do something in this field.

Food are generally good and very cheap. Some are very good but I can't recall their name. I like the drinks, like chai, lassi, cheap coffee and fruit juice, and etc. The lack of beef and pork was a bit of pain to some but for only one or two months it should not be a big problem.
Old Feb 7, 11, 5:18 pm

Nice. btw, that is the Arabian Sea, not Indian Ocean.

Originally Posted by yaohua2000 View Post
Part 5: Mumbai – Goa – Bengaluru – Chennai (January 9 – January 12)

Indian Ocean seen from the train
Old Feb 9, 11, 8:13 am

Programs: DL Gold, TK Elite
Very inspiring. We may use some of your ideas in the future. Thanks for including Dhaka and Chittagong in your trip - this country could use some more tourism-related publicity!
Old Feb 10, 11, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, OZ
I like the Bangladesh parts. Having lived in Bangladesh last year it's nice to see it again. I have rode the CCU-DAC and the DAC-CGP train before it was all right all though very slow.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: