Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO-HKG CX First VS. SQ First - late night departure

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2012, 7:12 am
formerly gohima

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
2. I've found AA redemption availability, at least in J and F, generally better than than of UA. So if we have a chance to burn UA miles on a great F opportunity, I'm jumping on it.
This is my biggest gripe with MP vs. AAdvantage. I managed to get CX F seats for my trip last Jaunary on roughly the dates I needed for meeting up with some friends in SE Asia. When I had looked at F award travel on *A partners, nothing on the saver and few and far between at 100k (!!!) each way. Granted if you can get availability on MP, routing rules trump AAdvantage by far.

back on topic: If CX is still flying 744s out of SFO, I would say the nose of the queen is where it is at.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:21 am

Programs: AA, CI, NH, JL, BA, SPG, Ritz, Amex Plat
Next year when SQ start flying A388 on SFO-HKG route, would it be worth it to fly SQ over CX in F on this route even though the food is subpar on SQ?
Old Dec 7, 2012, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
Originally Posted by projecteva
Next year when SQ start flying A388 on SFO-HKG route, would it be worth it to fly SQ over CX in F on this route even though the food is subpar on SQ?
When SQ flies the 380 it'll be with suites - no First class. Which means it'll be far more expensive than CX F. There will be no redemptions unless you plan on burning a ton on KF miles. So from that perspective - CX will have far better value in the front cabin on the route IMHO.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 4:22 am

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
When did SQ announce change from 77W to A380 for HKG-SFO?
Old Dec 7, 2012, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I doubt many would consider SQ food to be subpar.

Originally Posted by avm2806
When SQ flies the 380 it'll be with suites - no First class. Which means it'll be far more expensive than CX F. There will be no redemptions unless you plan on burning a ton on KF miles. So from that perspective - CX will have far better value in the front cabin on the route IMHO.
SQ recently announced that, starting in 2013, it would begin opening 380 First Suites for Saver award redemption thru its Kris Flyer program.

Originally Posted by CX828
When did SQ announce change from 77W to A380 for HKG-SFO?
In July. This equipment swap is currently scheduled for the winter, from December 28 to March 24. The 380 is coming from SQ 25/26 JFK-FRA-SIN which goes to 77W during that time.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 9:08 am

I guess subpar was the wrong word to use. I meant given the new saver availability of Suite award on KF, would it be worth it to choose that over CX F for the SFO-HKG route even if food service is not as good.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I guess subpar was the wrong word to use. I meant given the new saver availability of Suite award on KF, would it be worth it to choose that over CX F for the SFO-HKG route even if food service is not as good.
Where did you get the notion that SQ food is not as good as CX?
I'd take SQ food over CX food any day.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:54 am

No, just the SFO-HKG route in particular, since they don't have a dinner service but a supper instead, so I was wondering if that will affect the experience.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
SFO777 and others could answer better than I could, but from what I've read the one missing element from the late night SQ flight is caviar.

As for CX, I'd say that the one less-than-stellar aspect of the otherwise fantastic TPAC F flights I've flown has been the food. I do mean "less-than-stellar" literally - the food hasn't been at all bad, but not up to the standards set by the F experience in all other ways.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:32 am

I have taken CX from SFO-HKG as my 1st F experience this past summer so I have no other F experience to compare with. The food is generally decent although sometimes a hit or miss. But the caviar was very enjoyable for me along with the different wines they provide. So I am hoping SQ experience can top that, even without the caviar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.