Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Gold Run 2: Blame Canada! It's Only A Mileage Run anyway! (To YVR with AC, CO, BD..)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Run 2: Blame Canada! It's Only A Mileage Run anyway! (To YVR with AC, CO, BD..)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2011, 5:00 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Oh no not Travelodge! Nice report!^
Old Jan 27, 2011, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Originally Posted by sobore
Oh no not Travelodge! Nice report!^
Yes... a Travelodge ! A land without points, chargable everything, the works

Considering all I needed for the short while was a bed and a warm room - it did the job as needed. Which was for a grand total of... 8 hours. Anything more than €19 and I would had felt robbed....

Thanks sobore
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:44 am

In my opinion the CO breakfast croissant is the best.

It's a lot better than their lousy dinners; green leaves, mediocre main dish and tiny cookies for desert.And no cheese.

And if you are lucky to leave Europe at 9.15AM you get your lousy lunch served at 10 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 12:40 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
OK, so now I'm dreading my first flight (TATL) on CO. Especially as it leaves at 9 in the morning! Admittedly it's in J, but the comments above are less than reassuring.

Great report, though! ^
Old Jan 28, 2011, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bretteee
In my opinion the CO breakfast croissant is the best.

It's a lot better than their lousy dinners; green leaves, mediocre main dish and tiny cookies for desert.And no cheese.

And if you are lucky to leave Europe at 9.15AM you get your lousy lunch served at 10 AM.
I've never experienced CO "inbound" to the USA Bretteee, so I haven't had that delight yet.

Although all TATL Y class breakfasts are near enough unfit for consumption, US Airways still wins the "What are you trying to serve me stakes", with United and Continental tying.

At least CO tries to make you a bit healthier with fresh fruit. UA tries this Bacterial fermentation of milk stuff I've never liked at all...

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
OK, so now I'm dreading my first flight (TATL) on CO. Especially as it leaves at 9 in the morning! Admittedly it's in J, but the comments above are less than reassuring.

Great report, though! ^
Maybe I was very unlucky and had a crew that wanted to head to sunnier climbs that boring olde London.

I flew CO last year in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...lar-ua-co.html and found the service from Newark to be very acceptable (which was why I was quite joyful initially that I was flying CO for 9 hours on one leg to see if the service would be better).

Like all flights, crew can make or break a flight. In my case, they did their job when it came to the medical emergency. Beyond that... In the words of a certain airline "We are here for primarily your safety...."

Put it like this: It's made me reconsider my March/April USA trip already and who I'm flying with.

Thanks Cheetah_SA
Old Jan 28, 2011, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, OnePass, SkyMiles, Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, Priority Club Platinum
Travelodge. Haven't been there in a while.

Nice reporting.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 8:10 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Another very entertaining read Kevin ^ It seems that you actually prefer it at the back of the bus, having read all of your reports For me? Not in a million years

I recently completed several AC flights within Canada on a mix of one class () & J class sectors () and it was all very ordinary on board & on the ground. Have never flown them longhaul although wouldn't mind giving them a try - in J

Many thanks for posting.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carolinaaaflyer
Travelodge. Haven't been there in a while.

Nice reporting.
Considering the HIX/Hilton were vastly overpriced, and that I needed just a bed for a few hours, the Travelodge did it's job. Of course I could had done the ultimate and stayed in the airport all night....

... but even *I* have limits

Thanks carolinaaaflyer

Originally Posted by NoY
Another very entertaining read Kevin ^ It seems that you actually prefer it at the back of the bus, having read all of your reports For me? Not in a million years
Ahh. Alas NoY, when it out of my own pocket with no miles to spend on a qualification run, and a tightening wallet, Y Class it must be (Although I'll never say no to an empty seat next to me for some legs - makes it a bit more bearable

Hopefully I'll be organising a C/F class trip sooner rather than later

Originally Posted by NoY
I recently completed several AC flights within Canada on a mix of one class () & J class sectors () and it was all very ordinary on board & on the ground. Have never flown them longhaul although wouldn't mind giving them a try - in J

Many thanks for posting.
I haven't tried AC on shorthaul (something that will be corrected in the future), but at least them seemed better that some of their North American Counterparts (For example little things like Ice Cream). The J Herringbone seat looks quite nice a Long Haul Flight - if only my budget could extend that far .

The Transborder lounge wasn't that bad in comparison to say a UA RCC/CO PC, but I do wish some of these lounges would take a leaf out of even little BMI's Great British Lounge - and have some nice hot food in the morning (and no, toast is not qualified as hot food in my book!)

The CO lounge was alas typical of CO lounges I've ran into - busy, overcrowded and nothing of interest to graze on... The only thing they have going for them is the Vodka and Colas

Thanks NoY
Old Jan 29, 2011, 4:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

As usual Kev your reports are like a breath of fresh air. I get fed up reading premium cabin reports with their fancy food and obligatory Champagne glass shots.

As you say airlines tend to make a hash of breakfast even up front...it's a bit of an afterthought in most cases. No picture taking in CO? Bloody world has gone mad if you ask me.

Thanks for the report Kev. ^
Old Jan 29, 2011, 4:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Lifetime Platinum, Alaska MVP
Just wanted to confirm your opinion of Immigration Canada. They are the rudest in the world. Worse than ORD, JFK, LAX, DEL, LHR, or MIA, IMHO. I've had unpleasant encounters with Agents in Vancouver, Calgary, and Montreal. Somehow I've been spared in Toronto and Edmonton. The Agents in Calgary were the most hateful I've encountered.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
As usual Kev your reports are like a breath of fresh air. I get fed up reading premium cabin reports with their fancy food and obligatory Champagne glass shots.
I'll happily do C/F shots with Champers glasses when I get the bump, or if the miles flow. Unlike some though, I know that premium travel has a direct effect on what I can do at my destination. That and I like to keep some semblence of control over my credit card.

As you say airlines tend to make a hash of breakfast even up front...it's a bit of an afterthought in most cases.
Agreed. Whilst airlines will happily spend a few pennies on the main meal, I can only think of 3 breakfasts I've had in the air that were reasonable, and 1 that was "memorable". And considering 9/10 times it's the last thing you'll see of an airline before landing, it seems to be a very poor show by everyone. Still, this is why stocking up at the lounge is a done thing...

No picture taking in CO? Bloody world has gone mad if you ask me.

Thanks for the report Kev. ^
Do not get me started on those bunch of comedians. I appreciate they are there for our safety, but I'm taking pictures of the lovely nights (and getting DARN good shots) of night-time over DC and the East Cost all lit up.

I suspect that crew were "There for our safety" and wanted a quiet flight.

Thanks HIDDY

Originally Posted by ghillier
Just wanted to confirm your opinion of Immigration Canada. They are the rudest in the world. Worse than ORD, JFK, LAX, DEL, LHR, or MIA, IMHO. I've had unpleasant encounters with Agents in Vancouver, Calgary, and Montreal. Somehow I've been spared in Toronto and Edmonton. The Agents in Calgary were the most hateful I've encountered.
I've only had trouble a couple of times at ports of entry - and once was at IAD where I was held for 30 minutes for a check on foodstuffs I was bringing into the country (With words like THANK YOU and SORRY being used - a distinct thing missing from Canadian Immigration). Even at Chicago I just get looked at for being slightly mad, and stamped into the country.

I've got Toronto coming up as a stopping point on a trip in the future. I'm really looking forward to being processed there...

Thanks ghillier.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 9:44 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Lifetime Platinum, Alaska MVP
FYI Canada Immigration

Hey Kev,

Since you mentioned that you will be going to Toronto, I thought that I would let you know that your Passport was probably "flagged" by Canada Immigration after you received "special handling" in Vancouver and they may do a secondary questioning on you. That has happened to me because I had a similar experience to your hassle when I was in Calgary in 2003 and I told the Immigration Officer to "Get a Life" among other things. Still, YYZ is such a busy Port of Entry and they may not bother to hassle you. Good luck !

Gregg
Old Jan 30, 2011, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nice report. Thanks for sharing. ^
Old Jan 31, 2011, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Hey Kev,

Since you mentioned that you will be going to Toronto, I thought that I would let you know that your Passport was probably "flagged" by Canada Immigration after you received "special handling" in Vancouver and they may do a secondary questioning on you. That has happened to me because I had a similar experience to your hassle when I was in Calgary in 2003 and I told the Immigration Officer to "Get a Life" among other things. Still, YYZ is such a busy Port of Entry and they may not bother to hassle you. Good luck !

Gregg
Oh Lovely .

Sadly, Immigration Canada are living up to the sterotype if that's the case. Good thing the ticket has a 10 hour stopover in it!

Although 10 hours in a lounge is taking the peanut a bit - but doable.

I'll have my iTunes copy of South Park Bigger Longer and Uncut music soundtrack ready to play if they try that game.

Thanks ghillier

Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
Nice report. Thanks for sharing. ^
Thanks Rejuvenated. Glad you liked!
Old Jan 31, 2011, 9:28 am

Programs: FT
Hey Kev,

Gregg
wholly smokes. a few uncalled for jabs....i suspect there is more to the story?

as an aside, CBS has a great amount of authority..i would put them number 1 of people not to piss off....even ahead of Canada Revenue Agency....in fact, in some cases, CBS has an ability to detain you without reason and your rights under the Charter do not kick in....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.