Original Poster

Programs: some
Emirates
First Class menu
Melbourne to Auckland
January 2011

Bar Service

Aperitifs

Campari - Campari Bitter, Vermouth Sweet/Dry - Martini, Sweet Sherry - Harvey's Bristol Cream, Dry Sherry - Tio Pepe

Beers

A selection of international beers including Heineken, Budweiser and Amstel Light

Cocktails

Black Russian, Bloody Mary, Bucks Fizz, Champagne Cocktail, Cosmopolitan (US routes), Fantasy Island, Kir Royal, Manhattan, Martini Cocktail Classic, Screwdriver, Vodka Martini

Mocktails

Jumeirah Delight

Spirits

Premium Scotch Whisky - Chivas Regal Royal Salute, Single Malt Whisky - Glenfiddich 21 Years Old, Bourbon - Woodford Reserve

Cognac - Hennessy Paradis

Vodka - Grey Goose

Gin - Bombay Sapphire

Rum - Bacardi Superior, Bacardi 8 Anos

Champagne, Port and Wines

A selection of fine wines from internationally renowned vineyards of the old and new world

Liqueuers

Baileys Irish Cream, Tiam Maria, Drambuie, Cointreau

A la Carte Dining

Breakfast

Fruit juices
freshly squeezed orange, grapefruit juice or a refresing detox drink made of fresh beetroot, celery, apple and ginger

Fresh seasonal fruit

Florida cocktail
delices of fresh grapefruit and sweet orange segments

Yoghurt
Greek yoghurt with fresh fruit coulis

Assorted cereals

Main Course

Warm porridge
traditional Scottish porridge oats with warm milk and heather honey

Mixed grill
grilled beef medallion and a veal chipolata, with Boston baked beans, creamy spinach and char-grilled Roma tomato

Spanish omelette
served with a tangy tomato ragout, roasted potato cubes, sauteed button mushrooms and fresh asparagus

Buttermilk pancakes
apple flavoured buttermilk pancakes with a blueberry, and manuka honey yoghurtm served with maple syrup

Cheese selection
which includes goat cheese, basil and garlic cheese, and Swiss cheese, served with dried apricots

Bread basket
a variety of freshly baked breads, croissants and breakfast pastries, served with butter and preserves

Hot Beverages

a selection of the finest quality teas and coffees are available freshly brewed for your enjoyment throughout the flight

EK406-DXBMELAKL-F-10B

First Class Wine List

Champagne

Dom Perignon Vintage 2000
The very fresh and youthful millenium vintage of Dom Pérignon is soft and approachable. Persistent tiny bubbles race up to the top of your glass, assisting in the release of the subtle aromas of hazelnut, lemon cream, pear and red apple. Ultra fine, with a very active bead that just floats across the palate. Elegant, unobtrusive and balanced. The finish is delightful with lingering stonefruit flavours.

White Wine

Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru, Les Folatieres, 2008, Henri de Villamont
What makes Puligny-Montrachet so special? Well many things, but primarily; balance, harmony and finesse. In addition, they are noted for having a steely, vibrant core in the very centre of their abundant flavours. 'Les Folatieres' is the best known Premier Cru terrior in Puligny-Montrachet, the vines are richer and fatter than elsewhere in the village of Puligny and hence can be broached quite young. The example here, from Henri de Villamont, shows this angular beauty thoroughly and has a really long and intense finish.

Isabel Estate, Sauvignon Blanc 2008, Marlborough
Crisp citrus fruit abounds here with the elegant Isabel Estate 2008 Sauvignon. This vintage is tighter and more mineral based than some of the recent ones that - in the quest for the Kiwi Sauvignon style - have allowed themselves to become a tad blowsy. This family owned winery makes splendid wines. A perfect aperitif and a joy with seafood and fresh water fish.

Red Wine

Chateau Rauzan Segla, 2001 Margaux
After a very shaky track record in the 70's and 80's, culminating in the property being owned by ex boxer and entrepreneur George Walker. Boxers and Bordeaux were odd bedfellows and it's now owned by the couture house of Chanel. In the 90's Rauzan Segla started making wines befitting its Grand Cru Classe status. Here, the 2001 is drinking beautifully, with hallmark cedar, cassis and roasted herbs. This is quintessential Margauz.

Felton Road, Pinot Noir 2008, Central Otago, New Zealand
After a four year courtship, Felton Road, arguably the finest grower of Pinot Noir outside Burgundy, agreed to let Emeriates take a parcel of their highly sought after wine. Deep into New Zealand's beautifully dramatic South Island lies the region of Central Otago and the ideal terrior for this capricious variety. The top Kiwi Pinot has grace, verve and an abundance of clean raspberry and bramble fruit flavours. The uniqueness is as much about the freshness and soft tannins, as it is about complex fruit definition. Fully organic and biodynamically produced, the Felton Road 2008 is a beauty - and splendid in the air.

St Hallet "Old Block" Shiraz 2005, Barossa Valley
A blockbuster Shiraz from the hot Barossa Valley near Adelaide. The 2005 St Hallet Shiraz displays the hallmark richness, ripe blackcurrant and spicy complexity of the regions best fruit. The sheer weight of the wine is managed splendidly by a clean freshness that gives both balance and a sense of elegance, not often associated with the Barossa. An acknowledged icon wine of Australia, the "Old Block" derives its fruit from vines of 60 to well over 100 years old. The tiny yields these knarred plants gives ensure that this wine is naturally rare. Try it while you can.

Dessert

Chateau Rieussec, 2003, Sauternes
Devotees will need no introduction to this great wine. For the novice, the chance to sip and savour the great 2003 Rieussec is a treat and superb induction to the genre. Honeyed power, great definition and excellent viscosity. Thick and juicy seem simple words for such a spectacular wine, but that is what its like. Perfect with foie gras or as a digestif after dinner, the extraordinary flavours just go on and on.

Warre's, 1980 Vintage Port
The oldest British-owned Port house was founded in 1670 by the Warre brothers. For a 28 year-old Port the 1980 is still a deeply coloured, very impressive looking wine. Very open and mature, creamy, fine, as impressive as its appearance. Broad and expressive of black and raisined fruit, with a massive structure beneath to keep it all together. A small glass is the ultimate digestif.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 1:54 am

Programs: CX Diamond; OZ Diamond;QF
Great fun to read.

What I think was the really classy bit was to embark on your round the world champagne tasting by using your Snapper card on a GoWellington bus.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 1:55 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ieuan1
Great fun to read.

What I think was the really classy bit was to embark on your round the world champagne tasting by using your Snapper card on a GoWellington bus.
Hey, I could have walked to the airport (not enough time this time around).
Old Jan 19, 2011, 2:01 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Great fun to read.

Hey, that is not bad! I had the Holiday Inn Express airport shuttle drop me off at the Lufthansa FCT just an hour ago... Seemed pretty classy on my part.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 3:27 am
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Great fun to read.

Not a GoWellington Bus but the Airport Flyer with Leather Seats & WiFi on board. Not licensed, so unable to serve champagne
Old Jan 19, 2011, 3:30 am

Programs: Amex Plat, CX Gold, VA Gold, BA paeon, VS rabble, NZ A$ bru
Originally Posted by WLG Base
Not a GoWellington Bus but the Airport Flyer with Leather Seats & WiFi on board. Not licensed, so unable to serve champagne
Although, much as on the Overlander, I've never had a problem BYOing it as long as I've been discreet about it. Decant it into a washed dark-coloured soft-drinks bottle and no worries!
Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:30 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

AUCKLAND

As there were no cheap fares available for late afternoon or evening I had opted to stay the night in Auckland and fly down the next morning.

Immigration & customs were busy but thanks to walking fast, use of smartgate self-processing at immigration and a new routine at customs (like Sydney and Melbourne they now allow some low-risk passengers to bypass the xray at peak arrivals times) I was soon airside. For a change I'd gotten lucky and an airport bus was just about to depart instead of just missing it and having to wait 30 minutes.

The drive into the city was quick (just a short detour to pick up a few dozen people at the domestic terminal) with holiday season traffic on the roads. I got off at Queen Street and a short walk up to the Crowne Plaza where I was welcomed back. Despite a full hotel there was no upgrade. The only time I've gotten an upgrade here in recent years was last month at the Air NZ Do on a pointsbreak stay - and had all of 10 minutes to enjoy the club lounge in between returning from the day's activities and heading out for dinner. There was, however, the usual complimentary water, chocolates and hand-made biscuit.

I'd rearranged my hotel stays in late 2010 to ensure I wouldn't complete the last requirement of Priority Club's Crack the Case promotion until 2011. This would, I hope, mean Platinum requalification on one stay since promotional bonuses are counted in the 60k points qualification requirement. Several days after my stay the normal points from the stay posted (base points, bonus from a special rate for extra points and status bonus), a couple of days later the last latch was unlocked, and a few more days later the promotion points posted and the requalification was confirmed. Woohoo - 800 odd base points for Platinum status requalification.

Next morning I was up early to get to the airport in time for the early flight down to Wellington. At least it isn't as early as the flights to Christchurch or Australia so not quite OMG o'clock wakeup. The early morning airbus are often packed and take some time to leave the central city with many pickups along the way. Leaving slightly later gives a faster trip time, but with risk of missing check in deadline. I opted for the slightly later run (admittedly I needed the sleep quite badly).
Old Jan 20, 2011, 1:14 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

AUCKLAND to WELLINGTON (AKL-WLG) on Jetstar A320 in economy class

I arrived at the airport just before check in cut-off, checked in at the kiosk and through security. Security is always busy early in the morning, although slightly less so than normal due to the holiday season.

By the time I reach the gate boarding has commenced. I boarded early to ensure my bag is near my seat. So often the first few rows of overhead bins get jammed full and late boarders have to stow bags much further back, which makes it hard to disembark.

After the safety demonstration I rested my eyes and dropped off to sleep for a while, awakening just past Mt Taranaki. We landed slightly early and I uncramped my legs by racing off.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 1:31 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Interlude

The observant may have noticed the travel so far only covers 1.5 weeks, not the 2.5 weeks of first class feasts I promised. Yes, there is another sub-trip about to commence.

Hopefully this one will be less trying for readers by virtue of quicker posting (and quicker flying).
Old Jan 20, 2011, 1:36 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

WELLINGTON to AUCKLAND (WLG-AKL) on Air New Zealand 737-300 in economy class space+ seat

It was a few days later and I was headed back to the airport on the full bus, along with a couple of other passengers and over a dozen senior citizens enjoying a joyride (thanks to free bus transport). I spotted the Air Chathams Convair preparing up to depart - a shame I couldn't hang around in a place to watch the takeoff as I don't have much time to spare.

As usual I was flying carry on only, and with RFID tag for boarding headed directly for the lounge without a pause. I had just enough time to grab a newspaper, note there were no hot food options (this was middle of the day) and have a very quick drink. Boarding was called 10 minutes before scheduled departure. At gate security there was a big queue. I'm not sure why - weather was quite good at Wellington and elsewhere so even connecting passengers shouldn't have been held up. I very much doubted we'd get away on time, but luckily I have a reasonable connection time and so will not be rushed at AKL.

The flight was 100% full. Despite the long queues close to departure, doors were closed only a few minutes after scheduled pushback. Well done to ground and cabin crew.

I'd had some busy days in Wellington, still had a significant sleep deficit to restore and so I watched the safety video before snoozing. I noticed the gay kiss off had already been removed following complaints by a few sad individuals

Actually I didn't so much snooze as fall into a deep coma, or sleep as I prefer to call it. I was jolted awake on touching down in a steamy Auckland. You could cut the humidity with a knife and a walk across to international terminal looked to be a wet one even though it wasn't raining.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 6:52 am

Programs: AirNZ Gold Elite, Qantas Bronze, United Mileage Plus, Virgin Blue Velocity, Accor Advantage Plus,
Originally Posted by ThatJohn
Although, much as on the Overlander, I've never had a problem BYOing it as long as I've been discreet about it. Decant it into a washed dark-coloured soft-drinks bottle and no worries!
Or a thermos flask for some raspberry juice for a sporting location in Melbourne which I can't mention
Old Jan 20, 2011, 6:58 am

Programs: AirNZ Gold Elite, Qantas Bronze, United Mileage Plus, Virgin Blue Velocity, Accor Advantage Plus,
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
AUCKLAND

As there were no cheap fares available for late afternoon or evening I had opted to stay the night in Auckland and fly down the next morning.

Immigration & customs were busy but thanks to walking fast, use of smartgate self-processing at immigration and a new routine at customs (like Sydney and Melbourne they now allow some low-risk passengers to bypass the xray at peak arrivals times) I was soon airside. For a change I'd gotten lucky and an airport bus was just about to depart instead of just missing it and having to wait 30 minutes.

The drive into the city was quick (just a short detour to pick up a few dozen people at the domestic terminal) with holiday season traffic on the roads. I got off at Queen Street and a short walk up to the Crowne Plaza where I was welcomed back. Despite a full hotel there was no upgrade. The only time I've gotten an upgrade here in recent years was last month at the Air NZ Do on a pointsbreak stay - and had all of 10 minutes to enjoy the club lounge in between returning from the day's activities and heading out for dinner. There was, however, the usual complimentary water, chocolates and hand-made biscuit.

I'd rearranged my hotel stays in late 2010 to ensure I wouldn't complete the last requirement of Priority Club's Crack the Case promotion until 2011. This would, I hope, mean Platinum requalification on one stay since promotional bonuses are counted in the 60k points qualification requirement. Several days after my stay the normal points from the stay posted (base points, bonus from a special rate for extra points and status bonus), a couple of days later the last latch was unlocked, and a few more days later the promotion points posted and the requalification was confirmed. Woohoo - 800 odd base points for Platinum status requalification.

Next morning I was up early to get to the airport in time for the early flight down to Wellington. At least it isn't as early as the flights to Christchurch or Australia so not quite OMG o'clock wakeup. The early morning airbus are often packed and take some time to leave the central city with many pickups along the way. Leaving slightly later gives a faster trip time, but with risk of missing check in deadline. I opted for the slightly later run (admittedly I needed the sleep quite badly).
Not once has my Australian passport worked with smartgate processing in NZ, but no problem in Oz. No problem in AKL as there is a separate queue for those PAX that have to be processed manually, but not so in WLG
Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:36 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

My last international arrival into WLG there was a dedicated line for smartgate failures.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 8:03 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards, Mileage Plus, OneWorld, Qatar Airways Privilage Club
Wonderfully captivating read..I love your style of writing as I can just imagine your journey as I read it..I envy your flights of luxury in first class and hope to do so one do, especially on EK.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 12:46 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

AUCKLAND to SYDNEY (AKL-SYD) on Emirates A380-800 in first class

Once landside I saw there was no inter-terminal bus waiting at the stop so it would be at least 10 minutes before the next one. Rather than hang around I decided to walk across despite the humidity and get a shower once in the lounge.

Check in was open and no one in the first class line so I strolled up. I got 2 boarding passes, not the 4 I was hoping for. Oh well. The agent commented that the special immigration desk (for premium passengers of selected airlines including Emirates) wasn't yet open but I was welcome to use the normal immigration or exit smartgate. I let her know I'd seen an immigration officer at the desk when I walked past it to check in.

Today both the flights and escalators up to departure level nearest to check in were broken. So a slow queue trudging up the stopped escalator, and a few passengers had the wit to head along to the arrivals area and take the escalator over there.

Upstairs I dodged around a milling group at the entrance to immigration who were arguing amongst themselves which of the 4 options they should/could take (staff/crew, pre-cleared, regular and smartgate). The signage isn't the best, but still they shouldn't have stopped dead in the entrance making it difficult for everyone else. Pre-clearance was fast but the nearest security line had not one, not two, not three but 4 wheelchair passengers waiting. Clearly that is not the queue for me, so I ducked under the rope into the other lane, which had a lot more people in it but was also moving reasonably fast. I avoided the non-random pat down and explosives check and headed for the lounge.

I asked for towels for the shower and the new lounge staff then started to give me a tour before I interrupted her to inform yes I'd been here more than a few times before and most recently just several days ago.

The shower was much needed. Now I can relax knowing I have many hours of luxury ahead of me. I bypassed the Moet and grabbed a glass of Mt Difficulty Pinot Noir, avoided the tempting snacks on offer and did some work on a computer. The lounge quickly became very full. It seems all 3 flights are, once again, heavily booked in first and business class. I wonder if Emirates will expand the lounge again to cater for the recent upgauge in capacity on the flights?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.