Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Adventures in Southern Japan with JR Kyushu, Delta and All Nippon Airways

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2010, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ricardobtg
Indeed ! bona-fide transpacific 767s ; ) Both PDX and SFO flights to NRT are now operated by 767s. However, they are not the only 767s chugging along the big pond. AeroMexico currently flies the 767-200/300 for the Tijuana-Tokyo and Tokyo-Mexico City flights. NRT-MEX is actually not that long at around 12 hours, but it can only be done nonstop when tailwinds are strong and with some weight restrictions.
AC flies 767s between YVR and PEK, PVG, and maybe KIX.
Wow! You learn something new everyday, I guess. Very cool.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 3:59 pm

Thoroughly enjoyed reading this Trip report, thank you!
Old Jan 5, 2011, 4:47 pm

Programs: SAS Eurobonus - Blue / Emirates Skywards - Blue
Ahhh someone wrote a Kyushuu trip report!

Kyushuu is my 2nd home. I did study abroad in 07/08 in Nagasaki and nice to see photos from someone elses camera.

Did you get to eat some champon ?
Which hotel did you stay at in Nagasaki ? I'm particularly fond of the hotel monterey myself. It's a Japanese brand but the service is 2nd to none.

Next time you go to Nagasaki you need to take the 1000 yen or so ferry out to Iwojima and you get a free onsen entry in the bargain.

You should also take the No 1 tram up to Sumiyoshi and eat at Monkey Wrench. The tenchou Kazu makes an awesome chicken teishoku . After that if you want to drink either nomihoudai upstairs or downstairs

-mrploddy
Old Jan 7, 2011, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

hey Mr Ploddy

You are lucky that you got to spend some quality time in Nagasaki ! I was unfortunately only on a daytrip.

I think that Nagasaki has a very particular, tranquil and interesting ambiance that is unrivaled by any other city in the country as far as I have seen. It's a small town but it has a very old world/international vibe to it. Was very pleasantly surprised !

Champon... oh champon, I had heard about it, but since I was visiting with a gaijin friend I was just too scared to give it a try. Am I doomed for all eternity?

I had read about the onsen at Iwojima and it indeed seems like a bargain ! Unfortunately when you're just there for a day it's easy to lose track and just end up getting tired and hopping on the train back.

Nagasaki seems like a really special place, am very anxious to get back when it's warmer and explore the nearby hills that seem to be filled with interesting temples (and food it seems), seems like a very overlooked gem !!!

When it comes to hotels though, APA seems to have a couple of well placed hotels, and the Dormy Inn has a very nice location in front of Chinatown, both are very good values and nicely priced if you ask me.

Thanks for the reply and comments, they're much appreciated ! Nice to see I'm not the only person fond of Kyushu ; )
Old Jan 9, 2011, 2:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Great collection of Japan photos. Thanks for sharing!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.