Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vienna - Taipei on board EVA Air with pictures

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2010, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Vienna - Taipei on board EVA Air with pictures

In following trip report, I will describe my trip from Vienna to Taipei via Bangkok on board Eva Airways in Y.

The trip began at about 2 o’clock P.M. in car from Brno – my hometown to Vienna Schwechat airport. It was normal 2 hours journey, but I hope on next trip, whole freeway will be finished.

At the check-in desk at the airport, we seen big group of Taiwanese tourists just checking in, so we gave it up and went to airport self restaurant with view of apron for some beer and snack. Almost every plane was Austrian or Lufthansa, I haven’t seen any other company, maybe this is because the position of view.

At about 1.5 hour before planed departure, we went to check-in again with no waiting now. I was happy that we’ve got our selected seats.

What I don’t like at Vienna airport is security check at the gate, if you put this together with not enough gate capacity for 250 people – you get big line. Maybe 80 meters long. We’ve got to plane – Airbus A330-200 reg. B-16306 as one from last passengers. We’ve got seats in rear part of aircraft, I’ve got window seat – 41K.

It was already at about 7 o’clock PM and it was dark. Plane was speeding up to V1 so quickly, as I was pushed to my seat. After few minutes of climb, captain has announced “Service check” and cabin crew – Taiwanese and Thai brought us some dinner – I took rise with shrimps – it was good.

The in-flight entertainment system is great. At least sky compass is, you can adjust map zoom as you want and there are several position of view, I’ve also listened Taiwanese music for awhile and watched Lord of the Rings.

Somewhere above Black sea, flight attendants kindly asked us to cover window. As I don’t sleep so good in planes, this time I was sleeping about 6 hours – I took my own pillar as I need to lean my head on something and those small ones provided by airline are paltry – and it worked well.
So I woke up above Burma and with flash to my eyes as I uncovered the windows, I saw probably floody there. I visited EVA Ladies at the back of airplane as I was hungry, they were smiling all the time with face „What can I do for you“and nice at all, not like Aeroflot ones .

Before landing we’ve got another meal – this time breakfast, meal was again delicious.
Also captain came with some announcement, but it was still quite poor, it was basically something like „We’ve started descending to Bangkok, local temperature is 30 degrees and its fair weather, safe your seat belts and don’t use lavatory.“ If I compare this to KLM for example, captain described whole route, estimated time of arrival, introduced himself etc.
After very smooth landing in Bangkok we’ve got to terminal building for some Mango juice and after one hour we went again to same plane, but cleaned plane. Some new passengers came, but same crew – well I thought how they can still keep smiling after 15hours in plane totally.

It was another 4 hours from Bangkok to Taipei and nothing special happened, I was actually sleeping almost whole flight, before landing we seen Taichung city and got another meal. After landing, we filled out immigration forms and got through immigration quite fast, immigration officer just put stamp, no questions as in USA.

After leaving airport area, local temperature and humidity shocked us – well we were leaving from 10 degrees C in Vienna, 15 hours in air conditioned areas and now 32 degrees but high humidity.

So we took a taxi for Taoyuan High Speed Train station – it goes at about 280 km/h, so way to Taichung was short and we were there at about 19 o’clock PM – so whole trip from Brno to Taichung was 24hours.

The way back was pretty similar, but it was red-eye flight, departing at 22:45 PM. We have landed in Vienna following day at 8:45 – exactly on-time. And from plane to terminal by bus – they should already build new gates in Vienna.

EVA air made me pleasant journey and I hope to use them again .

Hope you enjoyed my report

Vienna view

Cabin

Meal - rice with shrimps

Sky compas

Flood ?

B-16306

Neighbour

Way home - above georgia

Top of Alps, interesting cloud gap

Yeah, engine is big
Old Oct 23, 2010, 2:40 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
nice TR!^
Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
I'm glad you had a nice journey, but to me, EVA seems to continue its gradual descent to mediocrity.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fly747first
I'm glad you had a nice journey, but to me, EVA seems to continue its gradual descent to mediocrity.
Well I would say EVA is still better option than any european/usa airline. But, I can't compare to other asian carriers.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by charlie2025
Well I would say EVA is still better option than any european/usa airline. But, I can't compare to other asian carriers.
Right, that's what I meant... EVA can't compete with most Asian carriers.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Very nice report!^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.