Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

My son’s fifth grade year: 97,737 miles, 40 flights, 6 continents and 16 countries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My son’s fifth grade year: 97,737 miles, 40 flights, 6 continents and 16 countries

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2011, 10:15 am

Programs: BA, VA, EK Silver,
Enjoying your trip reports!

I applaud your courage, and that of your family. Thanks so much for sharing the details of this fantastic journey, I am thoroughly enjoying reading each and every one!

We did something similar (although shorter and less courageous) when my daughters were 7 and 9...we went to New Zealand for 6 weeks, combined with visits en route to Sydney, Bali and Singapore.

Throughout the trip, they both kept a diary about what they'd seen and done...We'd absented them from school for 4 weeks plus the Xmas holidays, with their school headmistresses blessing.

When they returned they both did a presentation to their class about what they'd seen and done...

In my, and their teachers opinion, they had learned a lot more than they ever would at school!

God bless all three of you, and I look forward to more reports!

Jewels
Old Apr 16, 2011, 11:48 am

Where are you guys? You've covered a lot of ground since you last checked in. Eagerly awaiting more reports. Any thoughts about publishing? Would make a great travel book read.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat
The report on February in Melbourne is completed! Thanks for the encouragement to get it online.

You can find the direct link to the post here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/14949725-post10.html

Or just go to page 1 of this thread to see the whole trip so far.

As always, more pictures can be see at my blog:
http://travelcarl.blogspot.com

or at:
http://fifthgradearoundtheworld.com

Meanwhile we had an amazing time in NZ and are loving Argentina currently. The problem now is that have bunches of friends from California visiting us here so we're crazy busy. But having a super time. Just over two more months left of the adventure.

On a different subject: anyone know of any high school math teaching jobs in the Bay Area? It's rather grim in that job market!
Old Apr 20, 2011, 6:46 am

olafman-At this point you're probably better qualified to teach writing or journalism at the college level. Time to move up the food chain.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 7:22 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Another brilliant installment. Most people think of Australia as a cheap country to visit. With the strong A$, and the resources boom, it has become such an expensive place to go to. I am glad you loved Melbourne. Can't wait for the next installment.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:37 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA, SPG Gold, HH Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
I hope Corbin knows he's one of the luckiest kids in the world! Very jealous of all the fun you're having and can't wait to read the next report.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 11:59 pm

I want to watch this on TV !

I would love to watch these reports as TV series.
Wondering if there are any TV producers in FlyerTalk.
Tie-up with airlines companies for publicity will make
fairly feasible.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BrianUA800
I would love to watch these reports as TV series.
Wondering if there are any TV producers in FlyerTalk.
Actually my husband was a TV writer for 10 years. We know lots of TV producers. One of them actually pitched us the idea for a reality show about our year of travel before we left.

The three of us discussed it and decided in the end that the experience we would get with a TV crew following us everywhere would be very different than the experience on our own.

As a gay parent family, we've been on several TV shows and had TV crews follow us in our everyday lives before. Things are always different when the cameras are around.

Once we had a photographer from a European magazine follow us around for about a month. Every time we'd have people over or go to someone's house I had to get clearance for the photographer. The spread ended up being amazing but it was a huge intrusion.

For a brief second, I though the idea of Fifth Grade Around The World, the TV series would be fun but soon I remembered what this trip is all about: live like the locals. Most locals don't have a crew of three following at all times.

Unless you're Lindsay Lohan.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:40 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by olafman
Actually my husband was a TV writer for 10 years. We know lots of TV producers. One of them actually pitched us the idea for a reality show about our year of travel before we left.

The three of us discussed it and decided in the end that the experience we would get with a TV crew following us everywhere would be very different than the experience on our own.

As a gay parent family, we've been on several TV shows and had TV crews follow us in our everyday lives before. Things are always different when the cameras are around.

Once we had a photographer from a European magazine follow us around for about a month. Every time we'd have people over or go to someone's house I had to get clearance for the photographer. The spread ended up being amazing but it was a huge intrusion.

For a brief second, I though the idea of Fifth Grade Around The World, the TV series would be fun but soon I remembered what this trip is all about: live like the locals. Most locals don't have a crew of three following at all times.

Unless you're Lindsay Lohan.
you could pitch a second year around the world...this time, at the TV shows cost and then you will have the first one in hand.

i could just picture the flight crew in the showers on the A380....more than enough room.
Old May 23, 2011, 10:50 am
Original Poster

March 2011 Report on New Zealand is ONLINE

I have just updated the post on New Zealand that can be found on page one of this thread. You can also reach it directly by going here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/14949739-post11.html

This time I have also included some pictures to tie the experience together. As always you can also visit our blog that has up-to-date pictures:
http://travelcarl.blogspot.com

We are currently in Chile and having a great time. Although winter seems to be knocking at our door here on the coast, the experiences are still magical.

We are already sad thinking that the adventure will be over in just over five weeks!

I hope you enjoy the report on New Zealand. It too is a magical place.

-Carl
Old May 23, 2011, 5:10 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
I love reading each update to your amazing adventure! I feel as if I will echo some of your experiences as my RTW approaches. I'm flying QF32, CX751, JL 740 and will spend a week in Melbourne visiting family friends, a month wandering in Thailand, a week in Kerala with my dad eventually ending up in Buenos Aires, Santiago and Rapa Nui. I'm certainly getting a lot of ideas from what you've posted here and on your blog!
Old Jun 3, 2011, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Report on the month in Buenos Aires is now posted!

Hey readers,

I have just posted the month of April on page one of this thread. You can read the specific post by going to:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/14949841-post12.html

We have only 27 days of the trip left. Time has sure flown by. My goal is to get the report on Chile written and up on the website in one week. Let's see how I do!

Enjoy!
Old Jun 7, 2011, 8:57 am
Original Poster

I've been writing flight trip reports before tackling the report here on Chile.

You can read them at:
FLIGHT#34 Air Canada#412 Buenos Aires - Santiago 767 Biz with Pics
FLIGHT#35 LAN#814 Santiago-Easter Island 767 Biz with Pics

Enjoy!
Old Jun 13, 2011, 2:47 am

How is the job hunting going?
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:20 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Thumbs up

Thank you for sharing this wonderful story. You have given your son a perspective at a young age that most will never achieve in a lifetime.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.