Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

My son’s fifth grade year: 97,737 miles, 40 flights, 6 continents and 16 countries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My son’s fifth grade year: 97,737 miles, 40 flights, 6 continents and 16 countries

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2010, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Thoroughly enjoyable to read and live vicariously through this report. Were that all fifth graders could benefit from such a wonderful education - and parents!
Old Nov 12, 2010, 2:31 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles
Smile

If you have any questions about China, specifically Shanghai and the Hangzhou area feel free to message me. I'm now Chinese-American living in Michigan (mid-west).

BTW, what a lucky kid and AMAZING blog! Remind me again, I'm craving for AUTHENTIC Chinese food from ala the street vendors in HK and Shanghai. :P
Old Nov 12, 2010, 6:11 pm

Programs: /usr/bin
This trip report is awesome. I had been checking every couple days since November eagerly awaiting the Madagascar installment. I wasn't disappointed. Keep 'em coming.

What you guys are doing is totally awesome. Corbin is such a lucky kid.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by gt_croz
What you guys are doing is totally awesome. Corbin is such a lucky kid.
+1. What great parents! And Corbin... you may not fully appreciate it right now but what a story you have to tell down the pub in a few years! ^
Old Nov 13, 2010, 1:30 pm
Community Director Emerita

I knew nothing about Madagascar. That was a great intro. I know it must take you hours and hours to prepare these reports. I certainly appreciate it.

How did you find a house and staff to rent and hire before your arrival? It certainly sounds as though you lucked out with the staff and then the guide to who they referred you.

I was amused by this:

I did check with our friendly flight attendant before plopping ourselves down. After the door were shut, she approached Terry and me about our responsibilities of opening the emergency exit door at the back since we were the closest to them. My favorite part was when she explained that if she was incapacitated, we needed to unbuckle her and push her FEET FIRST down the slide.
That's a first!
Old Dec 8, 2010, 5:48 pm

Has there been any recent news on this trip? Haven't seen anything new since mid-November.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I knew nothing about Madagascar.

How did you find a house and staff to rent and hire before your arrival?
Before arrival, I do an Internet search for "vacation rental" and see what I can find. In Madagascar, it turned out perfectly using a website: http://www.homelidays.com

We've done well so far using that method but we go to India next month and I still haven't found a place! Four weeks away!!
Old Dec 9, 2010, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hebsan
Has there been any recent news on this trip? Haven't seen anything new since mid-November.
I'm writing. I'm writing!! We're currently in Vietnam where our best friends live. Also another friend flew over from Seattle to be with us. So needless to say, we've been busy and having lots of fun. They all leave by the 18th and we'll be on our own for the rest of the month so I'll have lots of time to write about Thailand then.

Thanks for the encouragement though. We continue to have an amazing time. I can't believe that we are already in month six!! Make time go slower, please!
Old Dec 10, 2010, 1:32 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
What a brilliant report. Loved reading it, and can't wait to read the rest. Corbin is one lucky kid.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 2:22 am

awesome trip report... really envy you guys but glad you all are having so much fun

If you need any help in Singapore just let me know, will be happy to help you out.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Alright kids, I've just finished the report on our month in Thailand. We had an amazing time.

I'm sorry that it's taken me a while to get this posted. We're finally hanging at a hotel at the beach in Nha Trang, Vietnam and I've made the time to write.

I sure appreciate all your comments and encouragement.

Enjoy reading. Remember the report is on Page 1 of this thread.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 3:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
I've loved reading about every step of your trip! I especially like that you split your flight reports and actual "trip" reports into separate posts. Both are interesting in very different ways. As a gay teenager I find your story an inspirational example of the type of parent I hope to be some day. ^
Old Dec 30, 2010, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
As a gay teenager I find your story an inspirational example of the type of parent I hope to be some day. ^
Thanks so much. Your comments moved me very much.

Just yesterday the woman who comes to our flat and teaches me cooking asked if I was married. I replied that I was and I'm married to Terry. She looked confused at first an then it all clicked into place. Finally she said "That's wonderful." I then shared that we have been together for twenty years and she replied that she and her husband have also been together twenty years.

Obviously we were the first married gay couple she'd ever met especially with a kid. It was a great moment that neither of us will forget.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 11:07 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by olafman
Thanks so much. Your comments moved me very much.

Just yesterday the woman who comes to our flat and teaches me cooking asked if I was married. I replied that I was and I'm married to Terry. She looked confused at first an then it all clicked into place. Finally she said "That's wonderful." I then shared that we have been together for twenty years and she replied that she and her husband have also been together twenty years.

Obviously we were the first married gay couple she'd ever met especially with a kid. It was a great moment that neither of us will forget.
As another evil homosexual I just wanted to say your son is truly lucky to have such great parents. Way better than plenty of heterosexual parents could ever hope to be. I wish I could have had the travel experiences you're giving him at that age!
Old Dec 31, 2010, 7:51 am

Programs: One Pass Silver, UA Premier
wow, so jealous.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.