Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

British Airways First Class and a 9 seater in Costa Rica w/pics

British Airways First Class and a 9 seater in Costa Rica w/pics

Old Sep 8, 10, 12:56 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: London
Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 3,090
Splendid report - written nicely to be easy to read and enjoy.

Though it brought back memories of being stuck at MIA in the ash cloud. The BA check in area looked a bit different then and the staff, especially the management, didn't cope well.
Fruitcake is offline  
Old Sep 8, 10, 1:39 pm
  #32  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Argentina
Programs: BAEC/IB
Posts: 38,371
Originally Posted by baggageinhall View Post
Conclusion

British Airways First is a good product that is let down by obvious cost cutting. The Concorde Room fulfills all the criteria I look for in a lounge, it's quiet and has a good selection of food and drink.
That is my impression of the F product as well.....it lacks consistency of service.....from what I've experienced on my few flights anyway.

Originally Posted by baggageinhall View Post
Comparison

Lounges
1. Thai Royal First Lounge, Bangkok. Massive, spacious, quiet, top notch food and drink.
2. The Concorde Room, Heathrow.
3. The Lufthansa First Class Terminal, Frankfurt. Excellent food and drink complimented by a very well stocked bar.
4. Swiss First Class Lounge, Zurich. A little disjointed and industrial
I've not sampled the LH FCT or LX lounge yet.

Of those I have I would actually put the CCR lounge a notch above the TG F lounge. We were fortunate to get one of the "living rooms" in BKK but without one then the CCR is far more pleasant. The food in the CCR suited my taste a lot better as well. Mix the best of the CCR - TG F and QF F lounges and you would be in paradise.

Fantastic trip report as usual. ^
HIDDY is offline  
Old Sep 9, 10, 6:53 am
  #33  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: SYD
Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold & Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 1,420
Originally Posted by baggageinhall View Post
Many thanks for the compliment and your own analysis of those three lounges.
Out of interest, is that how you rank them; 1. LH FCT, 2. BA CCR, 3. TG RFL
Yes, based on my experience in June/July that would be my ranking. I must have been traveling non-peak hours since each of the lounges were fairly quiet.

Haven't yet had the pleasure of The Wing in HKG but as I recall it was the first lounge with the cabana concept and full-sized baths too.
Coathanger is offline  
Old Sep 9, 10, 3:29 pm
  #34  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kingston upon Thames
Programs: BAEC: Silver
Posts: 56
Great TR, really enjoyed reading it.
dgreen678 is offline  
Old Sep 9, 10, 4:10 pm
  #35  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London
Programs: BA
Posts: 2,359
Originally Posted by Fruitcake View Post
Splendid report - written nicely to be easy to read and enjoy.

Though it brought back memories of being stuck at MIA in the ash cloud. The BA check in area looked a bit different then and the staff, especially the management, didn't cope well.
Many thanks. Being stuck at MIA doesn't sound like fun; save of course for that fantastic burger that I catch myself daydreaming about!

Originally Posted by dgreen678 View Post
Great TR, really enjoyed reading it.
Thank you for reading it.

Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
That is my impression of the F product as well.....it lacks consistency of service.....from what I've experienced on my few flights anyway.

I've not sampled the LH FCT or LX lounge yet.

Of those I have I would actually put the CCR lounge a notch above the TG F lounge. We were fortunate to get one of the "living rooms" in BKK but without one then the CCR is far more pleasant. The food in the CCR suited my taste a lot better as well. Mix the best of the CCR - TG F and QF F lounges and you would be in paradise.

Fantastic trip report as usual. ^
Thanks HIDDY. It's always nice when the Headmaster commends your work!

I agree with your TG v BA lounge analysis. Having my own lounge was great and the food was right up my street.

I'm up for trying the QF lounge in SYD but I simply don't have the urge to visit Oz.
baggageinhall is offline  
Old Sep 9, 10, 8:12 pm
  #36  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Argentina
Programs: BAEC/IB
Posts: 38,371
Originally Posted by baggageinhall View Post

I'm up for trying the QF lounge in SYD but I simply don't have the urge to visit Oz.
I never really had the urge to visit Oz either. However after our trip to New Zealand (which was fantastic) we just spent a couple of days in Sydney. I was most impressed and would love to go back and see more.
Definitely try and visit both countries...you won't be disappointed. The QF SYD lounge is not a bad little cafe either.
HIDDY is offline  
Old Sep 13, 10, 1:46 pm
  #37  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
Posts: 14,677
A fantastic report ^ Great pictures and great writing style too, and lots of detail which is what I enjoy in trip reports.

It was unlucky that you didn't get to sample New F, but I still think the old F is a good product - for me, it is more about the service and how well the food is re-heated in the galley which defines a good F experience from a bad one.

Interesting to read about your travels on the prop aircraft, as smaller airlines are often missed out of TRs or not written about in-depth, unlike in your report.

I have just returned from my trip back from Australia, where I sampled the QF First lounge in SYD - truly fantastic, and right up there with the CCR in terms of wow factor and far better in terms of food/service. The CCR wins on exclusivity and privacy IMO, simply because of the fewer avenues which permit entry.
Genius1 is offline  
Old Sep 14, 10, 2:29 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: London, UK
Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 6,221
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
Definitely try and visit both countries...you won't be disappointed.
+1 not that I am biased or anything

Great report baggageinhall

I think you will find now that OW Elites are not granted access to fast track security at LHR T5 anymore; only BA elites enjoy that benefit (if you can call it a benefit).
Moomba is offline  
Old Sep 15, 10, 10:22 am
  #39  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: East Ester, Alaska
Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Posts: 9,963
Thanks for this most enjoyable combination of text and photos. A marvelous trip and trip report ! ^^
Seat 2A is offline  
Old Sep 21, 10, 9:25 am
  #40  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London
Programs: BA
Posts: 2,359
Originally Posted by Genius1 View Post
A fantastic report ^ Great pictures and great writing style too, and lots of detail which is what I enjoy in trip reports.

It was unlucky that you didn't get to sample New F, but I still think the old F is a good product - for me, it is more about the service and how well the food is re-heated in the galley which defines a good F experience from a bad one.

Interesting to read about your travels on the prop aircraft, as smaller airlines are often missed out of TRs or not written about in-depth, unlike in your report.

I have just returned from my trip back from Australia, where I sampled the QF First lounge in SYD - truly fantastic, and right up there with the CCR in terms of wow factor and far better in terms of food/service. The CCR wins on exclusivity and privacy IMO, simply because of the fewer avenues which permit entry.
Thanks. In a different way, the flights on the prop were just as much fun as flying First.

I really like the CCR. I appreciate that Liz Hurley won't be in it each time I visit, but I like it nonetheless!
baggageinhall is offline  
Old Sep 21, 10, 9:28 am
  #41  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London
Programs: BA
Posts: 2,359
Originally Posted by Moomba View Post
+1 not that I am biased or anything

Great report baggageinhall

I think you will find now that OW Elites are not granted access to fast track security at LHR T5 anymore; only BA elites enjoy that benefit (if you can call it a benefit).
Many thanks. It's the use of the word 'fast' that I object to as it rarely is. The ratio of lanes to eligible passengers is always too low.

I will make it to Oz at some point. Once little hand-baggageinhall is a bit bigger, we will consider the wisdom of four, 12 hour flights with him.
baggageinhall is offline  
Old Sep 21, 10, 9:29 am
  #42  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London
Programs: BA
Posts: 2,359
Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
Thanks for this most enjoyable combination of text and photos. A marvelous trip and trip report ! ^^
Thanks very much, glad you enjoyed it!
baggageinhall is offline  
Old Sep 25, 10, 11:27 pm
  #43  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 101
Thanks for the report.
Teacherflyer is offline  
Old Sep 27, 10, 11:25 am
  #44  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK
Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Posts: 1,940
Originally Posted by baggageinhall View Post
Well spotted. I left SQ off the list as the sector I did was JFK-FRA and so I experienced the VS Clubhouse rather than an SQ lounge.
If you where to put the VS Clubhouse in the list where would it be?
GodAtum is offline  
Old Sep 27, 10, 4:37 pm
  #45  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London
Programs: BA
Posts: 2,359
Originally Posted by Teacherflyer View Post
Thanks for the report.
Thanks for reading.
baggageinhall is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: