Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

British Airways First Class and a 9 seater in Costa Rica w/pics

British Airways First Class and a 9 seater in Costa Rica w/pics

Old Sep 8, 10, 12:56 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Splendid report - written nicely to be easy to read and enjoy.

Though it brought back memories of being stuck at MIA in the ash cloud. The BA check in area looked a bit different then and the staff, especially the management, didn't cope well.
Old Sep 8, 10, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Originally Posted by baggageinhall View Post
Conclusion

British Airways First is a good product that is let down by obvious cost cutting. The Concorde Room fulfills all the criteria I look for in a lounge, it's quiet and has a good selection of food and drink.
That is my impression of the F product as well.....it lacks consistency of service.....from what I've experienced on my few flights anyway.

Comparison

Lounges
1. Thai Royal First Lounge, Bangkok. Massive, spacious, quiet, top notch food and drink.
2. The Concorde Room, Heathrow.
3. The Lufthansa First Class Terminal, Frankfurt. Excellent food and drink complimented by a very well stocked bar.
4. Swiss First Class Lounge, Zurich. A little disjointed and industrial
I've not sampled the LH FCT or LX lounge yet.

Of those I have I would actually put the CCR lounge a notch above the TG F lounge. We were fortunate to get one of the "living rooms" in BKK but without one then the CCR is far more pleasant. The food in the CCR suited my taste a lot better as well. Mix the best of the CCR - TG F and QF F lounges and you would be in paradise.

Fantastic trip report as usual. ^
Old Sep 9, 10, 6:53 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold & Hyatt Explorist
Many thanks for the compliment and your own analysis of those three lounges.
Out of interest, is that how you rank them; 1. LH FCT, 2. BA CCR, 3. TG RFL
Yes, based on my experience in June/July that would be my ranking. I must have been traveling non-peak hours since each of the lounges were fairly quiet.

Haven't yet had the pleasure of The Wing in HKG but as I recall it was the first lounge with the cabana concept and full-sized baths too.
Old Sep 9, 10, 3:29 pm

Programs: BAEC: Silver
Great TR, really enjoyed reading it.
Old Sep 9, 10, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Fruitcake View Post
Splendid report - written nicely to be easy to read and enjoy.

Though it brought back memories of being stuck at MIA in the ash cloud. The BA check in area looked a bit different then and the staff, especially the management, didn't cope well.
Many thanks. Being stuck at MIA doesn't sound like fun; save of course for that fantastic burger that I catch myself daydreaming about!

Originally Posted by dgreen678 View Post
Great TR, really enjoyed reading it.
Thank you for reading it.

Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
That is my impression of the F product as well.....it lacks consistency of service.....from what I've experienced on my few flights anyway.

I've not sampled the LH FCT or LX lounge yet.

Of those I have I would actually put the CCR lounge a notch above the TG F lounge. We were fortunate to get one of the "living rooms" in BKK but without one then the CCR is far more pleasant. The food in the CCR suited my taste a lot better as well. Mix the best of the CCR - TG F and QF F lounges and you would be in paradise.

Fantastic trip report as usual. ^
Thanks HIDDY. It's always nice when the Headmaster commends your work!

I agree with your TG v BA lounge analysis. Having my own lounge was great and the food was right up my street.

I'm up for trying the QF lounge in SYD but I simply don't have the urge to visit Oz.
Old Sep 9, 10, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB

I'm up for trying the QF lounge in SYD but I simply don't have the urge to visit Oz.
I never really had the urge to visit Oz either. However after our trip to New Zealand (which was fantastic) we just spent a couple of days in Sydney. I was most impressed and would love to go back and see more.
Definitely try and visit both countries...you won't be disappointed. The QF SYD lounge is not a bad little cafe either.
Old Sep 13, 10, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
A fantastic report ^ Great pictures and great writing style too, and lots of detail which is what I enjoy in trip reports.

It was unlucky that you didn't get to sample New F, but I still think the old F is a good product - for me, it is more about the service and how well the food is re-heated in the galley which defines a good F experience from a bad one.

Interesting to read about your travels on the prop aircraft, as smaller airlines are often missed out of TRs or not written about in-depth, unlike in your report.

I have just returned from my trip back from Australia, where I sampled the QF First lounge in SYD - truly fantastic, and right up there with the CCR in terms of wow factor and far better in terms of food/service. The CCR wins on exclusivity and privacy IMO, simply because of the fewer avenues which permit entry.
Old Sep 14, 10, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
Definitely try and visit both countries...you won't be disappointed.
+1 not that I am biased or anything

Great report baggageinhall

I think you will find now that OW Elites are not granted access to fast track security at LHR T5 anymore; only BA elites enjoy that benefit (if you can call it a benefit).
Old Sep 15, 10, 10:22 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Thanks for this most enjoyable combination of text and photos. A marvelous trip and trip report ! ^^
Old Sep 21, 10, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Genius1 View Post
A fantastic report ^ Great pictures and great writing style too, and lots of detail which is what I enjoy in trip reports.

It was unlucky that you didn't get to sample New F, but I still think the old F is a good product - for me, it is more about the service and how well the food is re-heated in the galley which defines a good F experience from a bad one.

Interesting to read about your travels on the prop aircraft, as smaller airlines are often missed out of TRs or not written about in-depth, unlike in your report.

I have just returned from my trip back from Australia, where I sampled the QF First lounge in SYD - truly fantastic, and right up there with the CCR in terms of wow factor and far better in terms of food/service. The CCR wins on exclusivity and privacy IMO, simply because of the fewer avenues which permit entry.
Thanks. In a different way, the flights on the prop were just as much fun as flying First.

I really like the CCR. I appreciate that Liz Hurley won't be in it each time I visit, but I like it nonetheless!
Old Sep 21, 10, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Moomba View Post
+1 not that I am biased or anything

Great report baggageinhall

I think you will find now that OW Elites are not granted access to fast track security at LHR T5 anymore; only BA elites enjoy that benefit (if you can call it a benefit).
Many thanks. It's the use of the word 'fast' that I object to as it rarely is. The ratio of lanes to eligible passengers is always too low.

I will make it to Oz at some point. Once little hand-baggageinhall is a bit bigger, we will consider the wisdom of four, 12 hour flights with him.
Old Sep 21, 10, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
Thanks for this most enjoyable combination of text and photos. A marvelous trip and trip report ! ^^
Thanks very much, glad you enjoyed it!
Old Sep 25, 10, 11:27 pm

Thanks for the report.
Old Sep 27, 10, 11:25 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Well spotted. I left SQ off the list as the sector I did was JFK-FRA and so I experienced the VS Clubhouse rather than an SQ lounge.
If you where to put the VS Clubhouse in the list where would it be?
Old Sep 27, 10, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Teacherflyer View Post
Thanks for the report.
Thanks for reading.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: